Troubles installing JAWS18

Rajmund <brajmund2000@...>

Hello,
So, as we all know, having a secondary screen reader, is always useful to have. That's exactly what am trying here. Windows 8.1, 64 bit, and have a 64 bit of JAWS. Every time I try installing, I get The JAWS setup package can not 'install the required component, runtime JAWS. Running it as admin made no change. And again, this worked on windows 10 just fine, so I'm slightly confused as to why not now. I've not tried 17, to be fair. Although I don't suppose it would make a difference.
Actually, http://webaim.org/discussion/mail_threadďthread=5165
Except that redownloading it here did no difference.
And since it doesn't even load the speaking installer, it's not an authorisation issue. Tried removing all remains of freedom scientific, as well as the registry, but still no luck.

Sent from a Braille Sense

John Gregory <stratplayer@...>

Hi Rajmund,

Not absolutely sure why you are having the problem you are having, but if
you could answer the following perhaps it may be possible to determine any
help:

You say you are using 8.1, but that JAWS 18 worked OK in 10?

did you downgrade from 10 to 8.1?

If so, when did you downgrade?

John.

Actually, http://webaim.org/discussion/mail_threadthread=5165
Except that redownloading it here did no difference.
And since it doesn't even load the speaking installer, it's not an
authorisation issue. Tried removing all remains of freedom scientific, as
well as the registry, but still no luck.

Sent from a Braille Sense

Rajmund <brajmund2000@...>

hi John,
different device, so while it is on 8.1, it was never downgraded, or upgraded. JAWS 17 turns out to also work just fine, so I know it's not issues installing things in general.

Sent from Thunderbird

On 24/12/2016 1:55 PM, John Gregory wrote:
[...]

So what are you saying, the device you want to install JAWS 18 on is a
separate 8.1 machine and not your Win 10 device?

Also, you say JAWS 17 works fine, but is this on the 8.1 machine or are you
referring to the Win 10 machine? Did you get JAWS 17 to install, but not
JAWS 18?

Has the Win 8.1 machine ever had JAWS fully installed on it previoussly?

[...]

yes, that is what am saying, this is a different laptop entirely. JAWS 17 installed after 18 failed. and since windows was just reinstalled, I'd say no. until yesterday.

Sent from Thunderbird

On 24/12/2016 3:42 PM, John Gregory wrote:
[...]

Gene

I believe I saw this problem discussed before but I don't recall the solution.  I don't recall if a solution was ever found by list discussion.  I would suggest contacting Freedom Scientific technical support.  As I recall, that was suggested when what appears to be the same problem came up before and it may have been that which provided a solution.

different device, so while it is on 8.1, it was never downgraded, or
upgraded. JAWS 17 turns out to also work just fine, so I know it's not
issues installing things in general.

Sent from Thunderbird

On 24/12/2016 1:55 PM, John Gregory wrote:
> Hi Rajmund,
>
> Not absolutely sure why you are having the problem you are having, but
> if you could answer the following perhaps it may be possible to
> determine any
> help:
>
> You say you are using 8.1, but that JAWS 18 worked OK in 10?
>
>  did you downgrade from 10 to 8.1?
>
> If so, when did you downgrade?
>
> John.

Gene

I'm not sure which version of JAWS was being used when this problem, or one that seems similar, as I recall, occurred.  I doubt that fooling around will accomplish anything but waste time.  Every installation of JAWS, though shared files are used, is a separate installation and I doubt that experimentation will solve the problem unless you just happen to hit on the right thing to do and whatever the solution is may lie outside of any generally used correction methods.