A puzzling Alexa observation

Vicky Vaughan

Hi List, I have both an Alexa Dot second gen and a Fire tablet running version 5.6.  I have noticed that if I ask Alexa on either device to play the song entitled, “The Ballad of Saint Anne’s Reel”, she responds with, “I can’t find the Ballad of Saint Anne’s Reel.

However, if I then ask her to play the album “Autograph” by John Denver, she does and I have to tell her to keep skipping songs until she reaches the fifth song, which happens to be The Ballad of Saint Anne’s Reel.

Do any of you have the faintest idea why this is?

Thanks for any thoughts.

Sincerely, Vicky V

Leedy Diane Bomar

Hi,
Does this happen when you specify the artist's name?

I just tried it with my Echo, and without specifying that it was by John Denver, it played a different song.

 Diane Bomar

On Oct 30, 2019, at 20:37, Vicky Vaughan <vrvaughan63@...> wrote:

Hi List, I have both an Alexa Dot second gen and a Fire tablet running version 5.6.  I have noticed that if I ask Alexa on either device to play the song entitled, “The Ballad of Saint Anne’s Reel”, she responds with, “I can’t find the Ballad of Saint Anne’s Reel.

However, if I then ask her to play the album “Autograph” by John Denver, she does and I have to tell her to keep skipping songs until she reaches the fifth song, which happens to be The Ballad of Saint Anne’s Reel.

Do any of you have the faintest idea why this is?

Thanks for any thoughts.

Sincerely, Vicky V

Vicky Vaughan

When I do not specify John Denver after the name of the song, like yours, it comes back with a different song.  However, it says that it cannot find it, if I do say his name.

This is so frustrating, when it is clearly in Amazon’s database, since it does play it when I ask for the album by john Denver that contains it.

Sincerely, Vicky V

[...]

Do you have a subscription to Amazon music? I wonder if that makes a difference? I do have an Amazon music subscription.

 Diane Bomar

[...]

Hi, Yes, I do have a subscription to Amazon music.

Sincerely, Vicky V

Does this happen when you specify the artist's name?

I just tried it with my Echo, and without specifying that it was by John Denver, it played a different song.

 Diane Bomar

On Oct 30, 2019, at 20:37, Vicky Vaughan <vrvaughan63@...> wrote:

Hi List, I have both an Alexa Dot second gen and a Fire tablet running version 5.6.  I have noticed that if I ask Alexa on either device to play the song entitled, “The Ballad of Saint Anne’s Reel”, she responds with, “I can’t find the Ballad of Saint Anne’s Reel.

However, if I then ask her to play the album “Autograph” by John Denver, she does and I have to tell her to keep skipping songs until she reaches the fifth song, which happens to be The Ballad of Saint Anne’s Reel.

Do any of you have the faintest idea why this is?

Thanks for any thoughts.

Sincerely, Vicky V

Holly

Just a thought, but if John Denver never made a single of that song, and it was just part of an album, maybe that is why Alexa won’t play it singly.

Ron Canazzi

Hi Vicky,

I have seen this with a number of album cuts and more obscure songs.  For example, I like the original British version from 1965 of Yeah, Yeah by Georgie Fame.  When I request it as a single from the echo devices, I get a 1970's soft jazzy version rather than the hard R&B version from 1965.  If however, I ask the echo device to play songs by Georgie Fame, then eventually, I get to the 1965 version that is on  a compilation album of British R&B from the 1960's.

I would suspect that this is due to limitations of the database used by the echo devices and Amazon music.

On 10/30/2019 10:36 PM, Vicky Vaughan wrote:

Hi List, I have both an Alexa Dot second gen and a Fire tablet running version 5.6.  I have noticed that if I ask Alexa on either device to play the song entitled, “The Ballad of Saint Anne’s Reel”, she responds with, “I can’t find the Ballad of Saint Anne’s Reel.

However, if I then ask her to play the album “Autograph” by John Denver, she does and I have to tell her to keep skipping songs until she reaches the fifth song, which happens to be The Ballad of Saint Anne’s Reel.

Do any of you have the faintest idea why this is?

Thanks for any thoughts.

Sincerely, Vicky V

They Ask Me If I'm Happy; I say Yes.
They ask: "How Happy are You?"

Leedy Diane Bomar

Hmmm, this is very strange! It plays for me when I request it specifying "by John Denver". I hope we can get to the bottom of this inconsistency.

 Diane Bomar

[...]

Diane:

That shoots down my theory.

Donna

Have you tried requesting the song as follows...Alexa play -song name- from -name of album- from amazon music? Using these steps works for me, when there are various singers that sing the same song. Asking Alexa to play -song name- by -singer name- is hit or miss.

Donna

Diane:

That shoots down my theory.

Gene

The actual title of the song as an individual song may not be in the data-base, for some reason.  I don't have an echo, but when the album plays, try saying skip five times and see what happens.  I doubt it understands that, but you never know.

Sent: Wednesday, October 30, 2019 10:38 PM

[...]

Hi , Yes, that’s what I said would happen.  After it starts playing the album and I then tell it to skip this song five times, it does play the song and can identify it as “The Ballad of Saint Anne’s Reel”.

So, since it can identify that particular song. Why can it not find and play it when I ask for it by just its name?

Although this is not crucial, I am just very curious about it.

Thanks very much!

Sincerely, Vicky V

Sent: Wednesday, October 30, 2019 10:38 PM

[...]

But I want to be clear.  Are you saying skipt five times or are you saying skip each time a song begins?

Sent: Wednesday, October 30, 2019 10:38 PM

[...]

Thanks very much to all who are trying to help me!  However, I have to say, that telling her to “play the name of the song on the album or from the album, does not work.  She responds:

I can’t find . . .

And then she places the album first and then the song, even though I put them the other way around.

As to someone else’s suggestion, about this being an album only song.  Memory, by Barbra Streisand, is such a song and it plays with no problem.

Something I just tried that did not work is:

After I got the album playing and reached the song I wanted, I told it to add it to “My Music Library”.  However, then when I told her to play the song from my music library, she still said that she could not find it.

This happens to be a song I really like, and it is so frustrating to have to go through so many steps to get it to play, especially since it is clearly in the database.

Thanks very much for any suggestions

Have you tried requesting the song as follows...Alexa play -song name- from -name of album- from amazon music? Using these steps works for me, when there are various singers that sing the same song. Asking Alexa to play -song name- by -singer name- is hit or miss.

Donna

Diane:

That shoots down my theory.

Vicky Vaughan

Hi Gene,

I am saying “Skip this song” each time the song starts that I don’t want to hear.

Thanks again for your trying to help!

Sent: Wednesday, October 30, 2019 10:38 PM

[...]

Pamela Dominguez

That song by Barbra Streisand was not an album only song.  It was most definitely on a single.  You’re talking about that song: The Way We Were, correct?  Pam.

Have you tried requesting the song as follows...Alexa play -song name- from -name of album- from amazon music? Using these steps works for me, when there are various singers that sing the same song. Asking Alexa to play -song name- by -singer name- is hit or miss.

Donna

Diane:

That shoots down my theory.

Vicky Vaughan

No, I am not talking about the song “The Way We Were”. The single I am talking about came from the musical Cats and it was “Memory”.  At least at the time that I wanted to buy it from iTunes, it was an only album release.

Since this does not seem to be affecting my Alexa subscription ability from listening to it, I don’t see why she cannot play the song by John Denver entitled “The Ballad of Saint Anne’s Reel”, when she can play the album Autograph, on which that song is found.

Sincerely, Vicky V

That song by Barbra Streisand was not an album only song.  It was most definitely on a single.  You’re talking about that song: The Way We Were, correct?  Pam.

Have you tried requesting the song as follows...Alexa play -song name- from -name of album- from amazon music? Using these steps works for me, when there are various singers that sing the same song. Asking Alexa to play -song name- by -singer name- is hit or miss.

Donna

Diane:

That shoots down my theory.

Its odd.  At first, I thought that the song itself might not be in the data-base but that the album is.  But I'm not sure that makes sense.  On Spotify, for example, if a song appears on multiple albums, as it might on a greatest hits of a group album, and on the original album and various compilation albums, I would think there is only one copy of the song and that all these albums are really playlists.  So why doesn't it know the song?

Sent: Thursday, October 31, 2019 6:34 PM

[...]

Norma A. Boge

I would suggest just purchasing the album.

Have you tried requesting the song as follows...Alexa play -song name- from -name of album- from amazon music? Using these steps works for me, when there are various singers that sing the same song. Asking Alexa to play -song name- by -singer name- is hit or miss.

Donna

Diane:

That shoots down my theory.

Vicky Vaughan

I have already purchased it. That does not solve the problem.

I Have had so much trouble with getting my music to play as I want it that I guess I will have to burn my own CDS of the songs I want, as I used to make cassette tapes.

iTunes and now Amazon are getting too frustrating!

Thanks all.

Sincerely, Vicky V