Computer Maintenance Software

Samuel Wilkins

Hello everyone, I was wondering if anyone could recommend an accessible computer Maintenance software.  I used to use Glarysoft but that isn't accessible.  I've heard that C Cleaner might be accessible, can anyone confirm this, and if not, is there a better one available?  Thank you.

--
Regards,

Samuel Wilkins

Mike B <mb69mach1@...>

Hi Samuel,

See if the below notes will help you with CCleaner:
 Original Message
I'm writing to see if anyone has had success using jaws versions 16 to 2019 with CCleaner and what were the results.  I'm currently trying to use c cleaner
with jaws version 16 but the problem is nothing seems to happen when I press enter on any of the buttons.  I'd also like to label these buttons.  Does
anyone have any suggestions as to how I should proceed.  The version of jaws i'm using is 16.
David
Using jaws 16 and the latest version of cleaner. if you wan't to use it like the old versions, after you press enter to open cleaner, tab once and that
is the custom button. hit the spacebar on that. that will open cleaner in the old looking form.  Using jaws 2019 opperates the same way.  Also, make sure
the screen is maximized.  Hope this helps.
Dennis

Hi David

With the latest JAWS, try creating a new settings centre file for CCleaner then set MSA mode to advanced. This works for me. I'm able to check and uncheck
buttons.
Debbie

Below are some steps I typed up for navigating the newer versions of CCleaner with JAWS.  Since CCleaner and JAWS works fine with the, Windows tab, scan
then the navigation starts getting weird, the steps below start after scanning the Windows tab.
Note:  These may not be exact but, are very close and should get you by.
1. After you run a scan of the Windows tab, you can use your finger gymnastics in 2 ways to scan the Applications tab.
A. After the Windows tab scan is finished tab until you come to the Windows tab again, now switch to the, Touch cursor, Shift + Numpad Plus, now right
arrow and then left arrow to highlight the Apllication tab and press enter to select it.  Turn off the Touch cursor by tapping the Numpad Plus key twice
quickly.  Press, Alt + R, to start the scan.
B. After the Windows tab scan is finished switch to the Touch cursor, left arrow several times to the Applications tab and press enter to select.  Now,
turn the Touch cursor off and press, Alt + R, to scan.
Note: The Touch  cursor is mostly used to navigate after the Windows tab scan.
2. If you are scanning the Registry, after the Applications scan is completed press, Alt + G, to start the scan of the registry.
3. After the registry scan is completed, Shift + Tab to the list of found items, pay attention to how many items were found, you can arrow up & down this
list to uncheck any items you don't want removed or press, Control + A, to select all, tab to the delete selected items, or whatever it's called, and press
enter to start the cleaning.  You will get a dialogue asking if you wannt to save a copy of the registry before the cleaning so press, Alt + Y, to save,
press the spacebar on the confirmation dialogue now the registry cleaning process starts and it only takes a second or so.  After the cleaning is finished
now, if you route the Jaws cursor to the PC cursor you can arrow up 1 time to hear how many items wer found and how many were cleaned.  For example, if
20 items were found but, you unchecked 5 of them you should hear, 15 / 20, meaning 15 of the 20 items were cleaned.  If you slected them all you should
hear, 20 / 20, meaning 20 of 20 items were cleaned.
Note: The copy of the saved registry file should be in your Documents folder.  This is a copy of the registry before it's cleaned so, if there's a problem
after the cleaning you can restore your registry with this saved file.
Take care.  Mike.  Sent from my iBarstool.  Go Rams!
Every man should marry.  After all, happiness is not the only thing in life.

----- Original Message -----
Sent: Friday, November 01, 2019 4:49 AM
Subject: [TechTalk] Computer Maintenance Software

Hello everyone, I was wondering if anyone could recommend an accessible
computer Maintenance software. I used to use Glarysoft but that isn't
accessible. I've heard that C Cleaner might be accessible, can anyone
confirm this, and if not, is there a better one available? Thank you.

--
Regards,

Samuel Wilkins

Brian Zolo <bzolo@...>

Hey there, Samuel, Brian Zolo here in Gahanna, Ohio. I'm using glary utilities pro and it works quite well with jaws 2019. BZ!

-----Original Message-----
From: main@TechTalk.groups.io [mailto:main@TechTalk.groups.io] On Behalf Of Samuel Wilkins
Sent: Friday, November 01, 2019 7:49 AM
To: main@TechTalk.groups.io
Subject: [TechTalk] Computer Maintenance Software

Hello everyone, I was wondering if anyone could recommend an accessible computer Maintenance software. I used to use Glarysoft but that isn't accessible. I've heard that C Cleaner might be accessible, can anyone confirm this, and if not, is there a better one available? Thank you.

--
Regards,

Samuel Wilkins

Steve Matzura

CCleaner is a dangerous tool, heartily disrecommended by Microsoft. In this day and age, Registry cleaners have no real purpose any more. The amount of space taken up by keys you don't need, and the amount of time taken to search through those unneded keys and values is less than negligible.

On 11/1/2019 7:49 AM, Samuel Wilkins wrote:
Hello everyone, I was wondering if anyone could recommend an accessible computer Maintenance software.  I used to use Glarysoft but that isn't accessible.  I've heard that C Cleaner might be accessible, can anyone confirm this, and if not, is there a better one available?  Thank you.

Gene

CCleaner has a registry cleaner but you don't have to use it. 

Gene

Sent: Friday, November 01, 2019 6:28 PM
Subject: Re: [TechTalk] Computer Maintenance Software

CCleaner is a dangerous tool, heartily disrecommended by Microsoft. In
this day and age, Registry cleaners have no real purpose any more. The
amount of space taken up by keys you don't need, and the amount of time
taken to search through those unneded keys and values is less than
negligible.

> Hello everyone, I was wondering if anyone could recommend an
> accessible computer Maintenance software.  I used to use Glarysoft but
> that isn't accessible.  I've heard that C Cleaner might be accessible,
> can anyone confirm this, and if not, is there a better one available? 
> Thank you.
>

James Bentley

Hi,

If not the registrey, then what gets cleaned?

James B

From: main@TechTalk.groups.io <main@TechTalk.groups.io> On Behalf Of Gene
Sent: Friday, November 1, 2019 6:45 PM

Gene

negligible.

> Thank you.
>

Gene

I've almost never used the program but it gets rid of temporary files.  I believe you can have it get rid of many other things, such as cookies.  I don't know if you can have it just get rid of certain kinds of cookies such as tracking cookies.  I expect others will provide more information.

Gene

Sent: Friday, November 01, 2019 10:07 PM

Hi,

James B

Gene

negligible.

> Thank you.
>

Mike B <mb69mach1@...>

Howdy James,

Check out the article below the link to the article:
What Does CCleaner Do and Should You Use It?
http://www.howtogeek.com/172820/beginner-geek-what-does-ccleaner-do-and-should-you-use-it/

Beginner Geek: What Does CCleaner Do and Should You Use It?

ccleaner-scan

These days, it seems like every Windows user has heard about CCleaner. It’s widely recommended, online and offline. But what exactly does CCleaner do,
should
you use it — and how often?

CCleaner has two main uses. One, it scans for and deletes useless files, freeing up space. Two, it erases private data like your browsing history and list
of most recently opened files in various programs.

CCleaner is Disk Cleanup On Steroids
Windows includes a
Disk Cleanup tool,
although
it’s a bit hidden.
This tool frees up space on your hard drive by deleting useless files — old temporary files created by programs, temporary Internet files for Internet
Explorer, Windows error report logs, and more. You can run this tool at any time to free up disk space.

However, Disk Cleanup doesn’t go as far as it could. For example, while it can delete Internet Explorer’s cache files, it won’t touch cache files for other
browsers like Chrome and Firefox. It won’t delete the useless setup folders NVIDIA’s graphics driver installers create when you update your graphics drivers,
which can consume hundreds of megabytes each.

CCleaner does do these things and more. It takes the Disk Cleanup concept and runs with it, extending it to more data in Windows and third-party programs
that the Windows Disk Cleanup tool won’t touch.

Just select the types of data you want to delete, click the Analyze button, and look over the data CCleaner will delete. If you’re happy, click the Run
Cleaner button to actually delete the selected files. CCleaner will remember your choices for next time, so you can just open it and click the Run Cleaner
button in the future.

ccleaner

CCleaner Also Deletes Private Data

CCleaner has two main uses. It frees up disk space by deleting junk files and wipes out private usage data. For example, CCleaner will erase your browser
history, cookies, and cache files for any browsers you have installed — Internet Explorer, Firefox, Chrome, even Opera. It will go beyond that, erasing
the cookie data stored by the Flash Player. It will even wipe out other potentially privacy-risking data, such as the list of recently opened file names
in Microsoft Word, Adobe Reader, Windows Media Player, VLC media player, and other common Windows applications.

All of this is customizable, but CCleaner is set up to wipe out this data by default. Not only does CCleaner quickly wipe away useless temporary files,
it’s like a sort of computer-wide “Delete my history” feature that deletes more than just your browsing data. Of course, CCleaner doesn’t know about every
program you might use, so this will never be perfect.

Why Running CCleaner Every Day Could Slow Down Your Web Browsing

You could use CCleaner constantly, running it every day with the default settings. However, this would actually slow your computer down in real use. This
is because CCleaner is set up to delete your browser’s cache files by default.

Cache files are bits of web pages — images, scripts, stylesheets, HTML files, and more — that
your browser holds onto.
For example, when you visit How-To Geek, your browser downloads the How-To Geek logo that we display at the top of the page. It then saves this logo in
its cache. When you navigate to a different page on our website, your browser doesn’t have to download the logo image all over again — it just loads the
image from the browser’s local cache. Your web browser is constantly doing this with bits of different web pages, and it speeds up web page loading because
your browser doesn’t have to download the same files over and over.

However, if you were to constantly clear your browser’s cache, it would have to re-download the same files over and over. That means that clearing your
browser’s cache constantly is a bad idea for performance reasons — constantly emptying the cache means you lose the benefits of having one.

Of course, the cache can also be a privacy concern. Someone with access to your computer could inspect your browser’s cache files to see what websites
you’ve
been visiting, just as they could look at your browser history. This is why browsers don’t save cache files when you browse in private-browsing mode.

If you want to run CCleaner regularly and aren’t worried about people with access to your computer snooping on your browsing, you should disable the Internet
Cache-clearing options.

ccleaner-browser-cleaning-options

PC Cleaning Apps are a Scam: Here’s Why (and How to Speed Up Your PC)
PC cleaning apps are digital snake oil. The web is full of ads for applications that want to “clean your...
 [Read Article]

There’s a lot of snake oil out there — unscrupulous
“PC cleaning” programs
 that want to sell you an amazing solution that won’t actually work as advertised. So you should exercise caution when it comes to system tools, especially
ones that cost money.

However, occasionally cleaning temporary files — whether with CCleaner or the Disk Cleanup tool included with Windows — can help speed up your PC a bit.
Many geeks can attest to computers performing more quickly after they wiped away useless junk files, and
even Microsoft says
 “old cached and temporary files” can cause your computer to slow down.

cleaning-temporary-files-speeds-up-pc

Why this works is unclear — certainly, if your computer’s hard drive is very full, freeing up space will help it perform faster. If your computer has an
SSD,
that SSD will slow down as it fills up
 — so ensuring you don’t have lots of wasted space is a good idea. Some programs may be badly written and may choke when they have lots of temporary files,
antivirus software may insist on scanning the junk files and slowing things down, or Windows itself may have issues with a large amount of files for some
reason — we’re not completely sure why this is.

The short answer is that occasionally deleting useless temporary files can help your PC stay fast — who are we to argue with Microsoft, who insist that
this can help speed up your PC? — but you don’t have to run it constantly. Once a week should be more than enough, and even Disk Cleanup will do a lot
on its own.

If you have an old PC that you’ve never run CCleaner or even Disk Cleanup on, you should give it a go — you’ll likely free up a lot of space and may even
notice a performance improvement.

Choosing What to Clean

If you do end up using CCleaner, you can select the types of data you want it to remove from the Cleaner tab. The Windows section contains options for
cleaning
data included with Windows, while the Applications section contains cleaning options for third-party applications you have installed. Be sure to check
the Applications section — if you don’t want CCleaner constantly wiping your browser’s cache, you’ll need to disable that option there. CCleaner will also
wipe out all your website logins if you have it clear your browser’s cookies, which will force you to log into websites you use over and over.

ccleaner-third-party-apps-list

Advanced Stuff

CCleaner has a number of other advanced features, from managing your startup programs and locating duplicate files to securely wiping disks. You could
also
set CCleaner up to run automatically on a schedule. We’ve previously covered
using CCleaner’s more advanced features
 and setting
up a scheduled task to run CCleaner automatically.

Setup CCleaner to Automatically Run Each Night in Windows 7, Vista or XP
After writing the article yesterday about how to run CCleaner silently through a shortcut or a hotkey, many people expressed to me that they'd like to
know how to run it every single night on a schedule, so I'm writing that up for everybody's benefit.
 [Read Article]
CCleaner is the best Windows application for deleting temporary files and wiping out usage data. Everyone can benefit from occasionally cleaning up their
temporary files, so CCleaner is useful — although the Disk Cleanup tool included with Windows can do some of this on its own.

Sent: Friday, November 01, 2019 8:07 PM

Hi,

James B

Gene

negligible.

> Thank you.
>

James Bentley

The reason that I ask, is just that I am always amazed at how many files are left after deleting a program.  It seems like the PC should run better if all of the junk files are cleaned up.  I have always avoided all clean up programs except for MS disk clean up.  I might consider  C Cleaner and just leave my registry alone.

Cheers,

James B

Sent: Friday, November 1, 2019 11:22 PM

I've almost never used the program but it gets rid of temporary files.  I believe you can have it get rid of many other things, such as cookies.  I don't know if you can have it just get rid of certain kinds of cookies such as tracking cookies.  I expect others will provide more information.

Gene

Sent: Friday, November 01, 2019 10:07 PM

Hi,

James B

Gene

negligible.

> Thank you.
>

James Bentley

Thank you for this Mr. Mike…

James B

From: main@TechTalk.groups.io <main@TechTalk.groups.io> On Behalf Of Mike B
Sent: Friday, November 1, 2019 11:23 PM

Howdy James,

Check out the article below the link to the article:

What Does CCleaner Do and Should You Use It?
http://www.howtogeek.com/172820/beginner-geek-what-does-ccleaner-do-and-should-you-use-it/

Beginner Geek: What Does CCleaner Do and Should You Use It?

ccleaner-scan

These days, it seems like every Windows user has heard about CCleaner. It’s widely recommended, online and offline. But what exactly does CCleaner do,
should
you use it — and how often?

CCleaner has two main uses. One, it scans for and deletes useless files, freeing up space. Two, it erases private data like your browsing history and list
of most recently opened files in various programs.

CCleaner is Disk Cleanup On Steroids
Windows includes a
Disk Cleanup tool,
although
it’s a bit hidden.
This tool frees up space on your hard drive by deleting useless files — old temporary files created by programs, temporary Internet files for Internet
Explorer, Windows error report logs, and more. You can run this tool at any time to free up disk space.

However, Disk Cleanup doesn’t go as far as it could. For example, while it can delete Internet Explorer’s cache files, it won’t touch cache files for other
browsers like Chrome and Firefox. It won’t delete the useless setup folders NVIDIA’s graphics driver installers create when you update your graphics drivers,
which can consume hundreds of megabytes each.

CCleaner does do these things and more. It takes the Disk Cleanup concept and runs with it, extending it to more data in Windows and third-party programs
that the Windows Disk Cleanup tool won’t touch.

Just select the types of data you want to delete, click the Analyze button, and look over the data CCleaner will delete. If you’re happy, click the Run
Cleaner button to actually delete the selected files. CCleaner will remember your choices for next time, so you can just open it and click the Run Cleaner
button in the future.

ccleaner

CCleaner Also Deletes Private Data

CCleaner has two main uses. It frees up disk space by deleting junk files and wipes out private usage data. For example, CCleaner will erase your browser
history, cookies, and cache files for any browsers you have installed — Internet Explorer, Firefox, Chrome, even Opera. It will go beyond that, erasing
the cookie data stored by the Flash Player. It will even wipe out other potentially privacy-risking data, such as the list of recently opened file names
in Microsoft Word, Adobe Reader, Windows Media Player, VLC media player, and other common Windows applications.

All of this is customizable, but CCleaner is set up to wipe out this data by default. Not only does CCleaner quickly wipe away useless temporary files,
it’s like a sort of computer-wide “Delete my history” feature that deletes more than just your browsing data. Of course, CCleaner doesn’t know about every
program you might use, so this will never be perfect.

Why Running CCleaner Every Day Could Slow Down Your Web Browsing

You could use CCleaner constantly, running it every day with the default settings. However, this would actually slow your computer down in real use. This
is because CCleaner is set up to delete your browser’s cache files by default.

Cache files are bits of web pages — images, scripts, stylesheets, HTML files, and more — that
your browser holds onto.
For example, when you visit How-To Geek, your browser downloads the How-To Geek logo that we display at the top of the page. It then saves this logo in
its cache. When you navigate to a different page on our website, your browser doesn’t have to download the logo image all over again — it just loads the
image from the browser’s local cache. Your web browser is constantly doing this with bits of different web pages, and it speeds up web page loading because
your browser doesn’t have to download the same files over and over.

However, if you were to constantly clear your browser’s cache, it would have to re-download the same files over and over. That means that clearing your
browser’s cache constantly is a bad idea for performance reasons — constantly emptying the cache means you lose the benefits of having one.

Of course, the cache can also be a privacy concern. Someone with access to your computer could inspect your browser’s cache files to see what websites
you’ve
been visiting, just as they could look at your browser history. This is why browsers don’t save cache files when you browse in private-browsing mode.

If you want to run CCleaner regularly and aren’t worried about people with access to your computer snooping on your browsing, you should disable the Internet
Cache-clearing options.

ccleaner-browser-cleaning-options

PC Cleaning Apps are a Scam: Here’s Why (and How to Speed Up Your PC)
PC cleaning apps are digital snake oil. The web is full of ads for applications that want to “clean your...
 [Read Article]

There’s a lot of snake oil out there — unscrupulous
“PC cleaning” programs
 that want to sell you an amazing solution that won’t actually work as advertised. So you should exercise caution when it comes to system tools, especially
ones that cost money.

However, occasionally cleaning temporary files — whether with CCleaner or the Disk Cleanup tool included with Windows — can help speed up your PC a bit.
Many geeks can attest to computers performing more quickly after they wiped away useless junk files, and
even Microsoft says
 “old cached and temporary files” can cause your computer to slow down.

cleaning-temporary-files-speeds-up-pc

Why this works is unclear — certainly, if your computer’s hard drive is very full, freeing up space will help it perform faster. If your computer has an
SSD,
that SSD will slow down as it fills up
 — so ensuring you don’t have lots of wasted space is a good idea. Some programs may be badly written and may choke when they have lots of temporary files,
antivirus software may insist on scanning the junk files and slowing things down, or Windows itself may have issues with a large amount of files for some
reason — we’re not completely sure why this is.

The short answer is that occasionally deleting useless temporary files can help your PC stay fast — who are we to argue with Microsoft, who insist that
this can help speed up your PC? — but you don’t have to run it constantly. Once a week should be more than enough, and even Disk Cleanup will do a lot
on its own.

If you have an old PC that you’ve never run CCleaner or even Disk Cleanup on, you should give it a go — you’ll likely free up a lot of space and may even
notice a performance improvement.

Choosing What to Clean

If you do end up using CCleaner, you can select the types of data you want it to remove from the Cleaner tab. The Windows section contains options for
cleaning
data included with Windows, while the Applications section contains cleaning options for third-party applications you have installed. Be sure to check
the Applications section — if you don’t want CCleaner constantly wiping your browser’s cache, you’ll need to disable that option there. CCleaner will also
wipe out all your website logins if you have it clear your browser’s cookies, which will force you to log into websites you use over and over.

ccleaner-third-party-apps-list

Advanced Stuff

CCleaner has a number of other advanced features, from managing your startup programs and locating duplicate files to securely wiping disks. You could
also
set CCleaner up to run automatically on a schedule. We’ve previously covered
using CCleaner’s more advanced features
 and setting
up a scheduled task to run CCleaner automatically.

Setup CCleaner to Automatically Run Each Night in Windows 7, Vista or XP
After writing the article yesterday about how to run CCleaner silently through a shortcut or a hotkey, many people expressed to me that they'd like to
know how to run it every single night on a schedule, so I'm writing that up for everybody's benefit.
 [Read Article]
CCleaner is the best Windows application for deleting temporary files and wiping out usage data. Everyone can benefit from occasionally cleaning up their
temporary files, so CCleaner is useful — although the Disk Cleanup tool included with Windows can do some of this on its own.

Sent: Friday, November 01, 2019 8:07 PM

Hi,

James B

Gene

negligible.

> Thank you.
>