From: main@TechTalk.groups.io <main@TechTalk.groups.io> On Behalf Of Mary Smith
Sent: November 1, 2019 1:51 PM
To: main@TechTalk.groups.io
Subject: [TechTalk] Needing some advice on purchasing a new desktop

Hello listers, I'd like some advice regarding specs for a new desktop.
I've been doing a bit of research and I'm noticing that these days, some manufacturers are building systems with two internal hard drives. For example, some of the newer Dell machines use an ssd as the boot drive and a mechanical drive for storage. I'd like some opinions as to whether it would be better to go with this type of machine or to purchase something with just a mechanical hd as the main drive.

All opinions are welcome.

Mary.

Mary Smith

Hi Chris, I was actually looking at the xps 8930. I notice that there is a tower edition and a special edition. Which one of these did you purchase?

On 11/1/2019 1:17 PM, chris judge wrote:
Hi Mary. I recently purchased a dell XPS 8930. It has a sshd as the c drive for the operating system and programs, and a mechanical hard drive for data. I love the sshd, it makes things much faster. You will notice a huge difference regarding start up times, programs opening, etc. I don't think you will be disappointed.

Hello listers, I'd like some advice regarding specs for a new desktop.
I've been doing a bit of research and I'm noticing that these days, some manufacturers are building systems with two internal hard drives. For example, some of the newer Dell machines use an ssd as the boot drive and a mechanical drive for storage. I'd like some opinions as to whether it would be better to go with this type of machine or to purchase something with just a mechanical hd as the main drive.

All opinions are welcome.

Mary.

James Bentley

Hello Mary,

I could not agree with Chris more. An SSD makes a major difference in bootup time, opening programs, and intensive computing like virus scanning and file transfers.

The second drive may not be critical but they are convenient for storing audio, video, photos, etc. If you are on a budget, it is not too difficult to add a second drive to a desktop later when you have the money.

Regards,

James B

.

[...]

Hi James, you bring up an interesting point. While doing my research, I was also looking into all in one machines but I'm not entirely sure I would invest in one at this point. I would prefer to get a pc that would allow me to update components down the road if I felt it was necessary. I've read that upgrading or repairing an all in one is tricky so I'd rather make an informed choice before I buy anything.

On 11/1/2019 1:52 PM, James Bentley wrote:
[...]

All in ones and especially laptops are difficult and expensive to repair. If you are computer savvy or, you have a friend who is, a desktop can save you lots of cash in the long run.

Dell makes very decent PC's but they are rather expensive. Acer makes budget models that cost considerably less.

Good luck on making a good decision and getting your new PC soon.

James Bentley

[...]

James, I just found an Acer machine with 12 gb of ram and a 1 tb mechanical drive for about $800. I'll have to compare this to comparable Dell machines.

On 11/1/2019 2:15 PM, James Bentley wrote:
[...]

Gene

I haven't used a machine with a SSD but I think the answer of whether someone would benefit depends on the answers to the following questions and perhaps others I haven't thought of, but I would think these are the main ones.

How much more does an equivalent machine cost with both drives?
Another question is how do you use the computer?  I can see where someone would save a significant amount of time if they do things that require a lot of disk activity such as converting audio files to different formats or recording and saving a lot of files in a compressed format that, I would think, would take longer with a mechanical drive.  So do you anticipate doing disk intensive activities often enough to pay whatever the higher cost of the computer might be?

I'm presenting the following as points of discussion.

I don't care if programs open faster.  And as far as boot time, there are ways to get very fast boots using a mechanical hard drive, such as using sleep instead of shutting down.  You should reboot after awhile but using something like sleep mostly eliminates long boot times.

Where speed might be nice is in opening web pages.  I don't know how much increased speed you might get but that is something for further discussion.  I don't care, myself.  If I'm going to spend two or five or ten minutes reading something, I don't care if the page opens in three or four seconds, as some do on my mechanical drive machine, or perhaps in one second. I don't know if that much time would be saved, but I don't care about such savings.  You may.

In short, I don't think there is a right or wrong answer.  I think it depends on what the person cares about and how the computer is used and what the cost difference is.

Hello listers, I'd like some advice regarding specs for a new desktop.
I've been doing a bit of research and I'm noticing that these days, some
manufacturers are building systems with two internal hard drives. For
example, some of the newer Dell machines use an ssd as the boot drive
and a mechanical drive for storage. I'd like some opinions as to whether
it would be better to go with this type of machine or to purchase
something with just a mechanical hd as the main drive.

All opinions are welcome.

Mary.

Mary Smith

Gene, these are really good questions. I do a bit of intensive tasks such as file conversions. Like you, I'm not concerned about how long its going to take to open a web page or a document. I'm going to compare the cost of a couple different systems just to get a sense of the price difference.

On 11/1/2019 3:20 PM, Gene wrote:

[...]

chris judge

To be honest I'm not sure what the difference is. I had mine upgraded. It originally came with a 256 sshd and a 1 tb mechanical drive. I upgraded to a 512 sshd and a 2 tb mechanical drive.

[...]

iram shabbir

absolutely. i agree with gene. though i am  not a techy person like u. i purchase a new laptop in 2013 latest model of del at that time. it has 1 t bstorage capacity. and where ever i want i bring it with me. and i can listen a book even i am on bed. regards

Hello listers, I'd like some advice regarding specs for a new desktop.
I've been doing a bit of research and I'm noticing that these days, some
manufacturers are building systems with two internal hard drives. For
example, some of the newer Dell machines use an ssd as the boot drive
and a mechanical drive for storage. I'd like some opinions as to whether
it would be better to go with this type of machine or to purchase
something with just a mechanical hd as the main drive.

All opinions are welcome.

Mary.

James Bentley

I would hold out for an SSD. A 512GB if you have the cash. Especially if that 1TB is only a 5400 RPM drive which most will be.

If you are doing image backups or half a dozen other resource intensive task, maybe transferring a large file while you half 10 Chrome tabs open all at the same time. I think you will be happier over the long run with more computing power.

Do you ever want to be able to do several things all at one time while you are also running a virus scan? A 512GB SSD and 12GB ram and at least an I5 quad core processor.is the only way to go if the cash flow is sufficient. Even if you need to wait until your finances are sufficient.

$800.00, sounds a bit high for that Acer unless it comes with accessories. Isn't there a Black Friday coming up in just a few weeks. I bet Amazon will be kicking butt with totally major sales.

But, Gene really is right, There definitely is no right or wrong answer to this situation. It's just what you personally think you need or what you prefer.

Some people might use the money that they saved on a new high dollar computer and buy another really nice toy. Or, set it aside for retirement.

Congratulations! It sounds like you are taking your time and thinking seriously about making a right decision on this new PC.

Cheers,

James B

[...]

Hi James, all of the xps systems I'm looking at are built with 1 tb drives, 7200 rpm. Some of the configurations are built with 256 gb ssd's as the boot drive, the mechanical drive is used for storage. A 512 drive sounds nice but would raise the price considerably.

On 11/1/2019 6:02 PM, James Bentley wrote:

[...]

Monte Single

I have been using a 120 gig ss drive on this pc for almost 7 years. I have a 2 tb drive for storage.
Every month or so I move everything I want to keep from my downloads folder on the ss drive to the storage drive; I have had no problems with this set up.
Using win 7 pro, nvda full suite of office applickiations, ocr programs, and lots of other apps.
Yes, a 500 gig ss drive is nice, but is not necessary if financial restraints are to be considered.

[...]

Lenron

The computer with the SSD and a second drive for data is perfect. A
256 gb SSD should do you fine, it's kind of the sweet spot I think.
You could get a system with a 1 tb drive for data and just upgrade
that drive as you need.

--
Lenron Brown
Cell: 985-271-2832

Gerald Levy

Amazon sells an Aser Aspire PC885 desktop with 12 gb of RAM, 512 SSD and Windows 10 Home for about $500, which is a pretty good deal for a desktop with such a large SSD.

Gerald

[...]

Wow, what a strange coincidence, I was just now looking at that PC from Amazon, And, I was just about to post about it.

It has loads of USB connections in the front and back. And, a half dozen other connections. Reviews say that it is super quiet.

I wonder if it will be on sale around Thanksgiving.

Regards,

James Bentley

[...]

What processor comes with this pc?

[...]

Here is a link and an excerpt from Amazon:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07R8WJMW6/ref=nav_timeline_asin?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

Product description
Style:PC only | Configuration:12GB DDR4, 512GB SSD
Acer Aspire TC-885-UA92 Desktop PC comes with these specs: 9th Generation Intel Core i5-9400 Processor 2.9GHz with Turbo Boost 2.0 Technology up to 4.1GHz, Windows 10 Home, 12GB DDR4 2666MHz RAM Memory, Intel UHD Graphics 630, 8X DVD-Writer Double-Layer Drive (DVD-RW), 512GB SSD, High-Def Audio with 5.1-Channel Surround Sound Support, 1 - USB 3.1 Type C Gen 2 port (up to 10 Gbps) (Front), 1 - USB 3.1 Gen 2 Port (Front), 2 - USB 3.1 Gen 1 Ports (Rear), 4 - USB 2.0 Ports (Rear), 2 - HDMI Ports (Rear), 1 - VGA Port (Rear), 802.11ac WiFi, 10/100/1000 Gigabit Ethernet LAN (RJ-45 Port), Bluetooth 5.0, 300W Power Supply, USB Keyboard and Optical Mouse, 17.2 lbs. | 7.8 kg (system unit only), 1 Year Parts and Labor Limited Warranty with Toll Free Tech Support (DT.BAPAA.031, DT.BDGAA.002). Wireless LAN Standard - IEEE 802.11ac

[...]

This Acer Aspire PC885 has an Intel 9th gen. Core I5-9400 processor, up to 4.1 GHz. Not bad for 500 bucks.

https://www.amazon.com/Acer-TC-885-UA92-Desktop-i5-9400-802-11AC/dp/B07R8WJMW6/ref=sr_1_1?keywords=acer+885+desktop&qid=1572710035&sr=8-1

Gerald