windows 8 installing programs help needed

Keith S

Hi,

I took several of the suggestions offered to me regarding installing programs and was able to install classic shell to my new windows 8 machine.

I then placed the contents of  my window eyes 8.4 cd onto a thumb drive and used the windows key plus R combo and opened the thumb drive and found the setup.exe file and hit enter on it.

Nothing happened, but then there was some sort of sound and a new window appeared with an okay button, but nothing else.  Nothing was read under the narrator TTS.

I am logged into the admin account, so I'm not sure what is going on or what else I should be doing.

Kind of wish I could have gotten my hands on a windows7 or windows 10 machine, but my wife got the computer for me.

Didn't  do her research I'm guessing.

Thanks for any help.

keith

Carlos

That is most likely the User Account Control AKA UAC prompt asking if you want to allow the installation to proceed.  Try running setup again and when you hear the sound, press Alt+Y to select the
"Yes"
button.  For the record, although there are certainly differences between Windows 7, 8, and 10, they also have many basic things in common.  Most of the issues you have experienced so far are due to lack of experience.  All of the questions you have asked so far would for the most part have received the same replies if you were running 7 or 10.

----- Original Message -----
Sent: Saturday, January 07, 2017 3:06 AM
Subject: [TechTalk] windows 8 installing programs help needed

Hi,

I took several of the suggestions offered to me regarding installing programs and was able to install classic shell to my new windows 8 machine.

I then placed the contents of  my window eyes 8.4 cd onto a thumb drive and used the windows key plus R combo and opened the thumb drive and found the setup.exe file and hit enter on it.

Nothing happened, but then there was some sort of sound and a new window appeared with an okay button, but nothing else.  Nothing was read under the narrator TTS.

I am logged into the admin account, so I'm not sure what is going on or what else I should be doing.

Kind of wish I could have gotten my hands on a windows7 or windows 10 machine, but my wife got the computer for me.

Thanks for any help.

keith

Carlos

Never mind.  Now that I think about it, which is not often since I don't have UAC enabled myself, there should be no
"OK"
button in the UAC prompt.

Sent: Saturday, January 07, 2017 4:55 AM
Subject: Re: [TechTalk] windows 8 installing programs help needed

That is most likely the User Account Control AKA UAC prompt asking if you want to allow the installation to proceed.  Try running setup again and when you hear the sound, press Alt+Y to select the
"Yes"
button.  For the record, although there are certainly differences between Windows 7, 8, and 10, they also have many basic things in common.  Most of the issues you have experienced so far are due to lack of experience.  All of the questions you have asked so far would for the most part have received the same replies if you were running 7 or 10.

Hi,

Thanks for any help.

keith

John Gregory <stratplayer@...>

Hi Carlos, the UAC was my first thought, but that defaults to ‘No’, so as you say, it is not UAC. Cannot think of what it could be at the moment other than an error dialog box.

Keith, when the ‘OK’ button comes up, have you tried Alt + Tab out of the dialog and then Alt + Tab back into it so that Narrator reads the entire box? Doing this may or may not give some idea as to the nature of the dialog box.

John.

From: main@TechTalk.groups.io [mailto:main@TechTalk.groups.io] On Behalf Of Carlos
Sent: 07 January 2017 09:59
To: main@TechTalk.groups.io

Never mind.  Now that I think about it, which is not often since I don't have UAC enabled myself, there should be no

"OK"

"Yes"

Hi,

Thanks for any help.

keith

Hi Keith,

Just out of curiosity, do you own a copy of Microsoft Office 2007, 2010, 2013 or 2016?

John.

From: main@TechTalk.groups.io [mailto:main@TechTalk.groups.io] On Behalf Of Keith S
Sent: 07 January 2017 08:07

Hi,

Thanks for any help.

keith

Carlos

Yes an error dialog of some kind makes the most sense.

Sent: Saturday, January 07, 2017 5:12 AM

Hi Carlos, the UAC was my first thought, but that defaults to ‘No’, so as you say, it is not UAC. Cannot think of what it could be at the moment other than an error dialog box.

Keith, when the ‘OK’ button comes up, have you tried Alt + Tab out of the dialog and then Alt + Tab back into it so that Narrator reads the entire box? Doing this may or may not give some idea as to the nature of the dialog box.

John.

From: main@TechTalk.groups.io [mailto:main@TechTalk.groups.io] On Behalf Of Carlos

"OK"

"Yes"

Hi,

Thanks for any help.

keith

Keith S

I've tried that and narrator says nothing   

Sent: Saturday, January 07, 2017 4:12 AM

John.

"OK"

"Yes"

Hi,

Thanks for any help.

keith

Keith S

nope.  thought of that to.

Sent: Saturday, January 07, 2017 4:13 AM

Hi Keith,

Just out of curiosity, do you own a copy of Microsoft Office 2007, 2010, 2013 or 2016?

John.

From: main@TechTalk.groups.io [mailto:main@TechTalk.groups.io] On Behalf Of Keith S

Hi,

Thanks for any help.

keith

Hi Keith,

When you say you clicked on ‘setup.exe’, are you absoluteley sure it was ‘setup.exe’? I have just had a look at the files for Window-Eyes 9.5 and there are several ‘setup’ files:

setup.bmp

setup.exe

setup.ini

setup.inx

setuptl.exe

If you clicked on one of the other files other than ‘setup.exe’ then I suspect you will get an error message. What I would suggest therefore is (assuming that your thumb drive is ‘e:’ and the WE 8.4 files are in the root folder):

1.       Press Windows key + R;

The ‘run’ dialog box will appear.

2.       Type (without the quotes): ‘e:\setup.exe’ and press the enter key;

Hopefully the WE installation will start. Note, the talking installer for Window-Eyes takes quite a while to kick in, so be patient, you will not necessarily hear anything before the talking installer loads.

HTH

John.

Sent: 07 January 2017 10:49

John.

"OK"

"Yes"

Hi,

Thanks for any help.

keith

Carlos

When the dialog appears next time, try pressing Control+C while it has focus.  With many standard dialogs in Windows, this will copy the text of the dialog to the clipboard.  If it works, you can then paste it into Notepad or into an Email so we can see what it says.

Sent: Saturday, January 07, 2017 5:48 AM

John.

"OK"

"Yes"

Hi,

Thanks for any help.

keith

Keith S

the file info that narrrator read out to me was setup and then it said it was an application

Keith

Sent: Saturday, January 07, 2017 5:11 AM

Hi Keith,

When you say you clicked on ‘setup.exe’, are you absoluteley sure it was ‘setup.exe’? I have just had a look at the files for Window-Eyes 9.5 and there are several ‘setup’ files:

setup.bmp

setup.exe

setup.ini

setup.inx

setuptl.exe

If you clicked on one of the other files other than ‘setup.exe’ then I suspect you will get an error message. What I would suggest therefore is (assuming that your thumb drive is ‘e:’ and the WE 8.4 files are in the root folder):

Hopefully the WE installation will start. Note, the talking installer for Window-Eyes takes quite a while to kick in, so be patient, you will not necessarily hear anything before the talking installer loads.

HTH

John.

John.

"OK"

"Yes"

Hi,

Thanks for any help.

keith

Rajmund <brajmund2000@...>

hi,
he came from XP, though, which didn't have the UAC prompt. narrator should have, however, read the UAC dialog.

Sent from Thunderbird

On 07/01/17 9:55 AM, Carlos wrote:
That is most likely the User Account Control AKA UAC prompt asking if
you want to allow the installation to proceed. Try running setup again
and when you hear the sound, press Alt+Y to select the
"Yes"
button. For the record, although there are certainly differences
between Windows 7, 8, and 10, they also have many basic things in
common. Most of the issues you have experienced so far are due to lack
of experience. All of the questions you have asked so far would for the
most part have received the same replies if you were running 7 or 10.

*To:* main@TechTalk.groups.io <mailto:main@TechTalk.groups.io>
*Sent:* Saturday, January 07, 2017 3:06 AM
*Subject:* [TechTalk] windows 8 installing programs help needed

Hi,

I took several of the suggestions offered to me regarding installing
programs and was able to install classic shell to my new windows 8
machine.

I then placed the contents of my window eyes 8.4 cd onto a thumb
drive and used the windows key plus R combo and opened the thumb
drive and found the setup.exe file and hit enter on it.

Nothing happened, but then there was some sort of sound and a new
window appeared with an okay button, but nothing else. Nothing was
read under the narrator TTS.

I am logged into the admin account, so I'm not sure what is going on
or what else I should be doing.

Kind of wish I could have gotten my hands on a windows7 or windows
10 machine, but my wife got the computer for me.

Didn't do her research I'm guessing.

Thanks for any help.

keith

Rajmund <brajmund2000@...>

hi,
tried installing NVDA and use it till you sort out the other issues?
it, in this instance, would have read the error, if nothing else.
Sent from Thunderbird

On 07/01/17 10:48 AM, Keith S wrote:

*Sent:* Saturday, January 07, 2017 4:12 AM
*Subject:* Re: [TechTalk] windows 8 installing programs help needed

Hi Carlos, the UAC was my first thought, but that defaults to ‘No’,
so as you say, it is not UAC. Cannot think of what it could be at
the moment other than an error dialog box.

Keith, when the ‘OK’ button comes up, have you tried Alt + Tab out
of the dialog and then Alt + Tab back into it so that Narrator reads
the entire box? Doing this may or may not give some idea as to the
nature of the dialog box.

John.

*From:*main@TechTalk.groups.io [mailto:main@TechTalk.groups.io] *On
Behalf Of *Carlos
*Sent:* 07 January 2017 09:59
*To:* main@TechTalk.groups.io
*Subject:* Re: [TechTalk] windows 8 installing programs help needed

Never mind. Now that I think about it, which is not often since I
don't have UAC enabled myself, there should be no

"OK"

*To:*main@TechTalk.groups.io <mailto:main@TechTalk.groups.io>

*Sent:*Saturday, January 07, 2017 4:55 AM

*Subject:*Re: [TechTalk] windows 8 installing programs help needed

That is most likely the User Account Control AKA UAC prompt
asking if you want to allow the installation to proceed. Try
running setup again and when you hear the sound, press Alt+Y to
select the

"Yes"

button. For the record, although there are certainly
differences between Windows 7, 8, and 10, they also have many
basic things in common. Most of the issues you have experienced
so far are due to lack of experience. All of the questions you
have asked so far would for the most part have received the
same replies if you were running 7 or 10.

*To:*main@TechTalk.groups.io <mailto:main@TechTalk.groups.io>

*Sent:*Saturday, January 07, 2017 3:06 AM

*Subject:*[TechTalk] windows 8 installing programs help needed

Hi,

I took several of the suggestions offered to me regarding
installing programs and was able to install classic shell to
my new windows 8 machine.

I then placed the contents of my window eyes 8.4 cd onto a
thumb drive and used the windows key plus R combo and opened
the thumb drive and found the setup.exe file and hit enter
on it.

Nothing happened, but then there was some sort of sound and
a new window appeared with an okay button, but nothing
else. Nothing was read under the narrator TTS.

I am logged into the admin account, so I'm not sure what is
going on or what else I should be doing.

Kind of wish I could have gotten my hands on a windows7 or
windows 10 machine, but my wife got the computer for me.

Thanks for any help.

keith

Keith S

I tried to install the window eyes 8.4 setup again, and the window that pops up is the following:

User Account control settings window

tell me more about user accounts control settings (link)

this opens the help center, which finds nothing to help the user, as I have waited for it to look up usable files

Notification level (slider, currently set at 65 percent of 100

okay and cancel buttons

Keith

Sent: Saturday, January 07, 2017 5:55 AM

the file info that narrrator read out to me was setup and then it said it was an application

Keith

Hi Keith,

setup.bmp

setup.exe

setup.ini

setup.inx

setuptl.exe

HTH

John.

John.

"OK"

"Yes"

Hi,

Thanks for any help.

keith

Gene

What antimalware program or programs are on the machine.  I haven't used enough of them to know the different ways different programs flag what they think is malware.  This may have nothing to do with Windows and may be an inaccessible dialog from an antimalware program.  It's time to find out what the dialog says. 

Gene

Sent: Saturday, January 07, 2017 3:58 AM

"OK"

"Yes"

Hi,

Thanks for any help.

keith

Gene

There is a Narrator command for read current window.  I think it's control shift space but I'm not sure and the command may have changed since the XP version of Narrator. 

Gene

Sent: Saturday, January 07, 2017 4:13 AM

Hi Keith,

John.

Hi,

Thanks for any help.

keith

Hi Keith,

OK, now we have something to work with. Do the same again, but this time tab to the slider and press the right arrowe key twice until it reads ‘zero’. Tab to the ‘OK’ button and press Enter. UAC will once again pop up and you should press Alt + Y to confirm that you want to turn off UAC. Now, try the ‘setup.exe’ file again and it should install.

John.

Sent: 07 January 2017 13:09

I tried to install the window eyes 8.4 setup again, and the window that pops up is the following:

this opens the help center, which finds nothing to help the user, as I have waited for it to look up usable files

okay and cancel buttons

Keith

Keith

Hi Keith,

setup.bmp

setup.exe

setup.ini

setup.inx

setuptl.exe

HTH

John.

John.

"OK"

"Yes"

Hi,

Thanks for any help.

keith

Carlos

Interesting.  It is a UAC prompt, but one with
"OK/Cancel"
buttons instead of
"Yes/No".
Did you try selecting
"OK"?

Sent: Saturday, January 07, 2017 8:08 AM

okay and cancel buttons

Keith

Keith

Hi Keith,

setup.bmp

setup.exe

setup.ini

setup.inx

setuptl.exe

HTH

John.

John.

"OK"

"Yes"

Hi,

Thanks for any help.

keith

Carlos

Yes I am aware of this. Thus the expmanation.

To: <main@TechTalk.groups.io>
Sent: Saturday, January 07, 2017 7:51 AM

hi,
he came from XP, though, which didn't have the UAC prompt. narrator should have, however, read the UAC dialog.

Sent from Thunderbird

On 07/01/17 9:55 AM, Carlos wrote:
That is most likely the User Account Control AKA UAC prompt asking if
you want to allow the installation to proceed. Try running setup again
and when you hear the sound, press Alt+Y to select the
"Yes"
button. For the record, although there are certainly differences
between Windows 7, 8, and 10, they also have many basic things in
common. Most of the issues you have experienced so far are due to lack
of experience. All of the questions you have asked so far would for the
most part have received the same replies if you were running 7 or 10.

*Sent:* Saturday, January 07, 2017 3:06 AM
*Subject:* [TechTalk] windows 8 installing programs help needed

Hi,

I took several of the suggestions offered to me regarding installing
programs and was able to install classic shell to my new windows 8
machine.

I then placed the contents of my window eyes 8.4 cd onto a thumb
drive and used the windows key plus R combo and opened the thumb
drive and found the setup.exe file and hit enter on it.

Nothing happened, but then there was some sort of sound and a new
window appeared with an okay button, but nothing else. Nothing was
read under the narrator TTS.

I am logged into the admin account, so I'm not sure what is going on
or what else I should be doing.

Kind of wish I could have gotten my hands on a windows7 or windows
10 machine, but my wife got the computer for me.

Thanks for any help.

keith

Gene

One of the first things you should do with any Windows machine that doesn't do this, is have file extensions read.  By default, file extensions aren't shown.  It doesn't matter what version of Windows is being used.  File extensions should be set to be read.  Issue the command Windows key e. 
When Windows Explorer opens, press alt, then t for tools and o for options.
Shift tab once.
Right arrow to view.
Tab until you get to advanced settings which is a treeview.
Down arrow until 7you get to hide extensions for known file types and press enter to uncheck the check box.  Then tab to and activate the ok button.

Gene

Keith

Hi Keith,

setup.bmp

setup.exe

setup.ini

setup.inx

setuptl.exe

HTH

John.

John.

"OK"

"Yes"

Hi,

Thanks for any help.

keith