From: "Allen West" <alwest0324@...>
To: <main@TechTalk.groups.io>
Sent: Tuesday, January 10, 2017 1:47 PM
Subject: [TechTalk] MP3 Players

Hi All,

I am trying to help a student purchase an affordable MP3 player. All
of the MP3 players with speech output are too expensive for his
limited income. We are looking for a MP3 player without speech output
that is still accessible to the blind. Does anyone know of one?

Thanks

Allen

Dave Mitchel

what is the persons price range?
how large do they want the player to be size and capacity wise? do they want speaker only or headphones also?

I am trying to help a student purchase an affordable MP3 player. All
of the MP3 players with speech output are too expensive for his
limited income. We are looking for a MP3 player without speech output
that is still accessible to the blind. Does anyone know of one?

Thanks

Allen

Laz

Starting at $79.99 including earphones and USB cable at:

http://www.talkingmp3players.com/

On 1/10/17, Dave Mitchel <dbmitchel@...> wrote:
what is the persons price range?
how large do they want the player to be size and capacity wise? do they want

speaker only or headphones also?

I am trying to help a student purchase an affordable MP3 player. All
of the MP3 players with speech output are too expensive for his
limited income. We are looking for a MP3 player without speech output
that is still accessible to the blind. Does anyone know of one?

Thanks

Allen

Bluetooth devices, and accessories
http://www.talkingmp3players.com/
Email: laz@...
Phone: 727-498-0121
Skype: lazmesa

Gerald Levy

Incredible as it may seem, you can buy a basic, fully accessible MP3 player on EBay for about $1.49. No kidding. I have three of them myself, and the sound quality is amazing considering the low price. The player is about the size of a matchbook and has a toggle-style power switch and 3.5mm headphone jack on the right side, and a USB port on the left side. The face of the player has a large round play button surrounded by a concentric ring. The 12 o'clock and 6 o'clock positions control volume up and colume down, respectively, and the 3 o'clock and 9 o'clock positions control the skip forward and backward functions, respectively. That's it. The player has no internal memory, so you have to buy an 8 gb micro SD card which costs about $4. Plus, you have to supply your own headphones and USB cable to recharge the internal lithium battery, which provides about 3 hours of playing time. You use simple copy and paste commands to add music to the player. For a buck and change, you really can't go wrong. Just visit EBay.com and type "clip MP3 player" into the search field, and take your pick of dozens of merchants who sell them for under $1.50.

Gerald

I am trying to help a student purchase an affordable MP3 player. All
of the MP3 players with speech output are too expensive for his
limited income. We are looking for a MP3 player without speech output
that is still accessible to the blind. Does anyone know of one?

Thanks

Allen

Gary Greico

Accessible electronics has them for under a hundred.

On 1/10/2017 2:47 PM, Allen West wrote:
Hi All,

I am trying to help a student purchase an affordable MP3 player. All
of the MP3 players with speech output are too expensive for his
limited income. We are looking for a MP3 player without speech output
that is still accessible to the blind. Does anyone know of one?

Thanks

Allen

Allen West

Hi All,

Thanks for the responses. You all are great! I will see him today and
see which route he wants to take.

Allen

On 1/10/17, Gary Greico <pianotuner3@...> wrote:
Accessible electronics has them for under a hundred.

On 1/10/2017 2:47 PM, Allen West wrote:
Hi All,

I am trying to help a student purchase an affordable MP3 player. All
of the MP3 players with speech output are too expensive for his
limited income. We are looking for a MP3 player without speech output
that is still accessible to the blind. Does anyone know of one?

Thanks

Allen

Steve Matzura

Aw come on, an Amazon tablet is cheaper than that, does more, and has
speech already in it. If the person doesn't want it, they can turn it
off.

On Tue, 10 Jan 2017 15:10:19 -0500, you wrote:

Starting at $79.99 including earphones and USB cable at:

http://www.talkingmp3players.com/

On 1/10/17, Dave Mitchel <dbmitchel@...> wrote:
what is the persons price range?
how large do they want the player to be size and capacity wise? do they want

speaker only or headphones also?

I am trying to help a student purchase an affordable MP3 player. All
of the MP3 players with speech output are too expensive for his
limited income. We are looking for a MP3 player without speech output
that is still accessible to the blind. Does anyone know of one?

Thanks

Allen

Gerald Levy

But an Amazon tablet does not come with hand-holding customer support, like Laz provides, and it does not have discrete buttons like an MP3 player, which could be problematic for some blind consumers.

Gerald

I am trying to help a student purchase an affordable MP3 player. All
of the MP3 players with speech output are too expensive for his
limited income. We are looking for a MP3 player without speech output
that is still accessible to the blind. Does anyone know of one?

Thanks

Allen

Lisa Belville

Those tablets are huge. I have one and while I love it, it's not nearly as portable as my Sansa clip. yes, you can't go on the Internet with the Sansa, but it does what I want it to do and that's play music and let me read books while offering a wide variety of audio customization.

Lisa Belville
missktlab1217@...
Inside me there's a thin person struggling to get out, but I can usually sedate her with four or five cupcakes.

But an Amazon tablet does not come with hand-holding customer support, like Laz provides, and it does not have discrete buttons like an MP3 player, which could be problematic for some blind consumers.

Gerald

I am trying to help a student purchase an affordable MP3 player. All
of the MP3 players with speech output are too expensive for his
limited income. We are looking for a MP3 player without speech output
that is still accessible to the blind. Does anyone know of one?

Thanks

Allen

Marie <magpie.mn@...>

I am curious as to how you use the Sansa Clip. I know they are great little players but to my knowledge there are no spoken menus so I could never get the hang of operating one.
Marie

But an Amazon tablet does not come with hand-holding customer support, like Laz provides, and it does not have discrete buttons like an MP3 player, which could be problematic for some blind consumers.

Gerald

I am trying to help a student purchase an affordable MP3 player. All
of the MP3 players with speech output are too expensive for his
limited income. We are looking for a MP3 player without speech output
that is still accessible to the blind. Does anyone know of one?

Thanks

Allen

Lisa Belville

Laz from Accessible Electronics sells Sansa players with a speech utility called Rockbox. You have verbal info about just about every function on the player.

The web site is WWW.TALKINGMP3PLAYERS.COM.

[...]

Just so. I have two--the Zip and the Plus.

On Thu, 19 Jan 2017 07:55:01 -0600, you wrote:

Those tablets are huge. I have one and while I love it, it's not nearly as
portable as my Sansa clip. yes, you can't go on the Internet with the
Sansa, but it does what I want it to do and that's play music and let me
read books while offering a wide variety of audio customization.

Lisa Belville
missktlab1217@...
Inside me there's a thin person struggling to get out, but I can usually
sedate her with four or five cupcakes.

I am trying to help a student purchase an affordable MP3 player. All
of the MP3 players with speech output are too expensive for his
limited income. We are looking for a MP3 player without speech output
that is still accessible to the blind. Does anyone know of one?

Thanks

Allen

Steve Matzura

And if you already have one, you can put Rockbox on it yourself.

On Thu, 19 Jan 2017 09:11:16 -0600, you wrote:

Laz from Accessible Electronics sells Sansa players with a speech utility
called Rockbox. You have verbal info about just about every function on the
player.

The web site is WWW.TALKINGMP3PLAYERS.COM.

Lisa Belville
missktlab1217@...
Inside me there's a thin person struggling to get out, but I can usually
sedate her with four or five cupcakes.

I am trying to help a student purchase an affordable MP3 player. All
of the MP3 players with speech output are too expensive for his
limited income. We are looking for a MP3 player without speech output
that is still accessible to the blind. Does anyone know of one?

Thanks

Allen

Pamela Dominguez

If you buy one from Laz, he will put rockbox on it, so it will talk. And he will give you instructions on how to use it. Pam.

But an Amazon tablet does not come with hand-holding customer support, like Laz provides, and it does not have discrete buttons like an MP3 player, which could be problematic for some blind consumers.

Gerald

I am trying to help a student purchase an affordable MP3 player. All
of the MP3 players with speech output are too expensive for his
limited income. We are looking for a MP3 player without speech output
that is still accessible to the blind. Does anyone know of one?

Thanks

Allen

-----
No virus found in this message.

Marie <magpie.mn@...>

Oh yes I did check this out at one time but the drawback for me was the fact that you can no longer play Audible.com books after the modification. And since Audible is one of my main sources I did not buy. Unless this has changed, I guess they are out of the question for me. Thanks for the info.
Marie