Does this folder belong here?

Walt Smith

I'm running Windows 7, so perhaps someone else who's using it can answer
this: should there be a Documents and Settings folder on my C-disk? I
*think* that I may have copied this folder from my old computer when I got
this one, but the weird thing is that as I make changes, the various files
in the folder are being updated and this is in addition to updates being
made in the Windows 7 folders where updates should be made. The folder
contains what appear to be duplicates of the contents of the Users folder,
but if I remove it, I'm afraid that the result will be that what's in Users
will be deleted and I definitely don't want that to happen. Any suggestions
or advice?

Jujube

Don't delete it if you're unsure.

On 1/12/17, Walt Smith <ka3lists@tampabay.rr.com> wrote:
I'm running Windows 7, so perhaps someone else who's using it can answer
this: should there be a Documents and Settings folder on my C-disk? I
*think* that I may have copied this folder from my old computer when I got
this one, but the weird thing is that as I make changes, the various files
in the folder are being updated and this is in addition to updates being
made in the Windows 7 folders where updates should be made. The folder
contains what appear to be duplicates of the contents of the Users folder,
but if I remove it, I'm afraid that the result will be that what's in Users
will be deleted and I definitely don't want that to happen. Any suggestions
or advice?

Mike B. <mb69mach1@...>

Hi Walt,

I do have a Documents & Settings folder on the root of my C drive, but only if I make the changes below in Tools / Folder Options / Biew tab / Tree Biew

Show hidden files, folders, and drives-ON

Hide protected operating system files (Recommended)-OFF

Take care.
Mike
Sent from my iBarstool.

I'm running Windows 7, so perhaps someone else who's using it can answer
this: should there be a Documents and Settings folder on my C-disk? I
*think* that I may have copied this folder from my old computer when I got
this one, but the weird thing is that as I make changes, the various files
in the folder are being updated and this is in addition to updates being
made in the Windows 7 folders where updates should be made. The folder
contains what appear to be duplicates of the contents of the Users folder,
but if I remove it, I'm afraid that the result will be that what's in Users
will be deleted and I definitely don't want that to happen. Any suggestions
or advice?

Walt Smith

Mike –

Thanks for confirming that you have a Documents and Settings folder on your system. I did some *very* careful moving of files from that folder to an external drive and noted that the files also disappeared from my Users folder, so I restored the moved files and decided that I very definitely did not want to monkey any further with the D&S folder. Thanks for the confirmation.

I do have a Documents & Settings folder on the root of my C drive, but only if I make the changes below in Tools / Folder Options / Biew tab / Tree Biew

Show hidden files, folders, and drives-ON

Hide protected operating system files (Recommended)-OFF

Take care.
Mike

Carlos

The Documents and Settings folder is a legacy virtual folder/junction which points to the Users folder so yes it belongs there.