windows 8 and classic desktop/start menu

Keith S

Hi, I know that several of the list members have suggested using either classic start or classic shell to alter the interaction of the windows 8 OS to better imitate that of windows xp.

My question is this:

Which of these, or any other programs likes these 2, will actually give me a desktop that is not a tile window, like the desktop in windows 8 is?

Perhaps I just need to practice with the windows 8 OS and stop using my xp machine, but it is a bit aggrevating to be rotating through open windows in win 8 and coming across the desktop as an open window.

Thanks

Keith

Mike B. <mb69mach1@...>

Hi Keith,

I don't know if changing your desktop theme to Windows Classics will help in Windows 8 since I've never used Win 8, but you can give it a try.

If you want to change your desktop theme to Windows Classic.  Try the following:
1. While on the desktop make sure nothing is selected.  Press control + spacebar until you hear not selected.  You can also press the F5 key.
2. Open your context menu, up arrow to personalize, & press enter.
3. Press down arrow until you get to an item called Windows7 Basic.  Right arrow to Windows Classic. Hit the enter key to make the
desired change.
4. Wait a few seconds or until you hear an audio sound effect confirming the completion of this process. I would wait another 2
minutes or so as your computer is making lots of changes and you want to allow lots of time for the process to complete.

I don't have a clue as to if the steps above will work with Win 8, but you can wait to see if something better comes along.
Take care.
Mike
Sent from my iBarstool.