IndependentLiving.com

Carlos

Is IndependentLiving.com a legitimate and reliable site for purchasing accessible products?  I have never used this one so I was wondering if anyone has experience with it.

Rick Alfaro

Yes, I’ve purchased items from them in the past with no issues and their prices are pretty much the same as the other blindness related stores.

Best,

Rick Alfaro

From: main@TechTalk.groups.io [mailto:main@TechTalk.groups.io] On Behalf Of Carlos
Sent: Thursday, February 2, 2017 4:46 PM
To: main@TechTalk.groups.io
Subject: [TechTalk] IndependentLiving.com

Is IndependentLiving.com a legitimate and reliable site for purchasing accessible products?  I have never used this one so I was wondering if anyone has experience with it.

Naima Leigh

Yes, I used to get there catologs and loved them.

From: main@TechTalk.groups.io [mailto:main@TechTalk.groups.io] On Behalf Of Carlos
Sent: Thursday, February 02, 2017 4:46 PM

Carlos

Thanks all.

----- Original Message -----
Sent: Thursday, February 02, 2017 4:51 PM
Subject: Re: [TechTalk] IndependentLiving.com

Yes, I used to get there catologs and loved them.

Sent: Thursday, February 02, 2017 4:46 PM

Sugar

I agree, I have purchased things from them as well. No complaints

sugar

‘I have loved the stars too fondly to be fearful of the

night.

Sugar

From: main@TechTalk.groups.io [mailto:main@TechTalk.groups.io] On Behalf Of Rick Alfaro
Sent: Thursday, February 02, 2017 1:50 PM

Yes, I’ve purchased items from them in the past with no issues and their prices are pretty much the same as the other blindness related stores.

Best,

Rick Alfaro

Sent: Thursday, February 2, 2017 4:46 PM

Gerald Levy

Yes, they are very much legitimate.  However, unless your order is at least $75, you will have to pay for UPS shipping, plus NY sales tax because they are located on Long Island.  In the past, they used to offer unlimited free shipping on certain holidays, but not lately.  Some of the products they sell are also available from Future Aids for about the same price or sometimes a little less, but because Future Aids sends all orders as free matter for the blind, there is no extra shipping charge.

Gerald

Sent: Thursday, February 02, 2017 4:45 PM

Is IndependentLiving.com a legitimate and reliable site for purchasing accessible products?  I have never used this one so I was wondering if anyone has experience with it.

Gerald Levy

Here’s another tip.  Some products sold by ILA, especially mainstream products that happen to be blind friendly,  are often sold by Amazon.com and EBay.com for much less.  For instance, ILA sells the Moshi talking bathroom scale for $50.  But Amazon sells the exact same scale for only $20 as the Newline SCB105 talking bathroom scale. So shop around before you order from ILA or any of the other blindness-products merchants.

Gerald

Sent: Thursday, February 02, 2017 5:08 PM

Yes, they are very much legitimate.  However, unless your order is at least $75, you will have to pay for UPS shipping, plus NY sales tax because they are located on Long Island.  In the past, they used to offer unlimited free shipping on certain holidays, but not lately.  Some of the products they sell are also available from Future Aids for about the same price or sometimes a little less, but because Future Aids sends all orders as free matter for the blind, there is no extra shipping charge.

Gerald

Is IndependentLiving.com a legitimate and reliable site for purchasing accessible products?  I have never used this one so I was wondering if anyone has experience with it.

Marie <magpie.mn@...>

I have purchased several things from this site and found it very reliable and a good source for some items.
Marie

Sent: Thursday, February 2, 2017 1:45 PM

Carlos

I bought the talking tape measure which they seem to have for a bit less than other sites with free shipping.

Sent: Thursday, February 02, 2017 5:29 PM

Here’s another tip.  Some products sold by ILA, especially mainstream products that happen to be blind friendly,  are often sold by Amazon.com and EBay.com for much less.  For instance, ILA sells the Moshi talking bathroom scale for $50.  But Amazon sells the exact same scale for only $20 as the Newline SCB105 talking bathroom scale. So shop around before you order from ILA or any of the other blindness-products merchants.

Gerald

Gerald

Dave Mitchel

what do they get in price for that talking tape measure?
thanks, dave 

Sent: Thursday, February 2, 2017 2:35 PM

I bought the talking tape measure which they seem to have for a bit less than other sites with free shipping.

Gerald

Gerald

Carlos

$104.95.  A bit pricy for a tape measure, but I need it at the moment so I gave in.

Sent: Thursday, February 02, 2017 5:43 PM

thanks, dave 

I bought the talking tape measure which they seem to have for a bit less than other sites with free shipping.

Gerald

Gerald

Dave Mitchel

oh damn, that is pricy. hmm, I think I’ll just borrow yours. lol
thanks carlos.

Sent: Thursday, February 2, 2017 2:55 PM

$104.95.  A bit pricy for a tape measure, but I need it at the moment so I gave in.
Sent: Thursday, February 02, 2017 5:43 PM

thanks, dave 

Gerald

Gerald

Ann Parsons

Hi all,

ILA, or Independent Living Aids is a legitimate and well regarded company. It used to be owned by Ann Tate. It has recently merged with LS&S. I wouldn't purchase from anywhere else if I were looking for clocks, watches and other such things. For Braille stuff, they are good, but I like the Braille Super Store. I don't like Maxie Aids because they have had a checkered past including Braille-writers purchased at a reduced price meant for overseas, and reselling them at the normal american market price. I'd purchase there if I had to, but only if I couldn't find the item anywhere else.

Caveat! All three of these places have a bad habit of sending out items without either Braille or audio instructions. For example, NYSCB purchased a talking calculator for my student and I had to get sighted help to label the buttons on it because they were all the same size and shape and naturally, the thing came with print instructions.

I don't understand the logic, I really don't, which drives these places to sell items for the blind, to the blind, and then, doesn't include instructions in alternative media. It's the kind of thing that prompted the robot on Star Trek to ask:

Illogical, illogical, Norman please explain. Illogical, illogical, humans can explain everything ...

I guess I must be dumb, but when I look at this problem, it seems like a no-brainer. If you send out an item that is meant for someone who is blind or visually impaired, the inclusion of instructions on a CD or in Braille would seem to be called for. <smiling sardonically> I had a dear friend who opined that he didn't know why it was called Common Sense because he couldn't find much of it.

So, if you purchase anything from these folks, ask in a firm, clear and unequivical voice for Braille or audio instructions.

Ann P.

--
Ann K. Parsons
Portal Tutoring
** New EMAIL: akp@sero.email
web site: http://www.portaltutoring.info

"All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost."

Ann Parsons

Hi all,

As I said, they have merged with LS&S here is their contact info from their web site.

independent living aids
137 Rano Rd

Buffalo, NY 14207

Our Mailing Address

independent living aids
137 Rano Rd

Buffalo, NY 14207

Phone Numbers

Toll-Free Sales: (800) 537-2118 or 855.SHOPILA(855-746-7452)
Fax: (516) 937-3906

Customer Service Hours
9:00 to 5:00 EST

Ann P.

--
Ann K. Parsons
Portal Tutoring

Vicky Vaughan <vrvaughan63@...>

Anyone who is thinking about buying anything from LS&S also known as The Braille Super Store, needs to be absolutely that what they are ordering is exactly what they want. The reason I say this, is they do not do any refunds, if you find that it doesn't suit you. Only when there is something physically wrong with the product, will you get your money back.

Vicky

-----Original Message-----
Sent: Thursday, February 02, 2017 8:37 PM

Hi all,

ILA, or Independent Living Aids is a legitimate and well regarded
company. It used to be owned by Ann Tate. It has recently merged with
LS&S. I wouldn't purchase from anywhere else if I were looking for
clocks, watches and other such things. For Braille stuff, they are
good, but I like the Braille Super Store. I don't like Maxie Aids
because they have had a checkered past including Braille-writers
purchased at a reduced price meant for overseas, and reselling them at
the normal american market price. I'd purchase there if I had to, but
only if I couldn't find the item anywhere else.

Caveat! All three of these places have a bad habit of sending out
items without either Braille or audio instructions. For example, NYSCB
purchased a talking calculator for my student and I had to get sighted
help to label the buttons on it because they were all the same size and
shape and naturally, the thing came with print instructions.

I don't understand the logic, I really don't, which drives these places
to sell items for the blind, to the blind, and then, doesn't include
instructions in alternative media. It's the kind of thing that
prompted the robot on Star Trek to ask:

Illogical, illogical, Norman please explain. Illogical, illogical,
humans can explain everything ...

I guess I must be dumb, but when I look at this problem, it seems like
a no-brainer. If you send out an item that is meant for someone who is
blind or visually impaired, the inclusion of instructions on a CD or in
Braille would seem to be called for. <smiling sardonically> I had a
dear friend who opined that he didn't know why it was called Common
Sense because he couldn't find much of it.

So, if you purchase anything from these folks, ask in a firm, clear and
unequivical voice for Braille or audio instructions.

Ann P.

--
Ann K. Parsons
Portal Tutoring

Gerald Levy

No, I think you are confused. Future Aids, the Braille Superstore has no connection with LS&S Products. To my knowledge, they are two independent merchants.

Gerald

Sent: Thursday, February 02, 2017 9:39 PM

Anyone who is thinking about buying anything from LS&S also known as The
raille Super Store, needs to be absolutely that what they are ordering is
exactly what they want. The reason I say this, is they do not do any
refunds, if you find that it doesn't suit you. Only when there is something
physically wrong with the product, will you get your money back.

Vicky

Sent: Thursday, February 02, 2017 8:37 PM

Hi all,

ILA, or Independent Living Aids is a legitimate and well regarded
company. It used to be owned by Ann Tate. It has recently merged with
LS&S. I wouldn't purchase from anywhere else if I were looking for
clocks, watches and other such things. For Braille stuff, they are
good, but I like the Braille Super Store. I don't like Maxie Aids
because they have had a checkered past including Braille-writers
purchased at a reduced price meant for overseas, and reselling them at
the normal american market price. I'd purchase there if I had to, but
only if I couldn't find the item anywhere else.

Caveat! All three of these places have a bad habit of sending out
items without either Braille or audio instructions. For example, NYSCB
purchased a talking calculator for my student and I had to get sighted
help to label the buttons on it because they were all the same size and
shape and naturally, the thing came with print instructions.

I don't understand the logic, I really don't, which drives these places
to sell items for the blind, to the blind, and then, doesn't include
instructions in alternative media. It's the kind of thing that
prompted the robot on Star Trek to ask:

Illogical, illogical, Norman please explain. Illogical, illogical,
humans can explain everything ...

I guess I must be dumb, but when I look at this problem, it seems like
a no-brainer. If you send out an item that is meant for someone who is
blind or visually impaired, the inclusion of instructions on a CD or in
Braille would seem to be called for. <smiling sardonically> I had a
dear friend who opined that he didn't know why it was called Common
Sense because he couldn't find much of it.

So, if you purchase anything from these folks, ask in a firm, clear and
unequivical voice for Braille or audio instructions.

Ann P.

--
Ann K. Parsons
Portal Tutoring

Gerald Levy

It sounds like ILA was acquired by LS&S because they moved their headquarters from Long Island to Buffalo. Probably, most of their Long Island employees lost their jobs. But I suspect that the number of blind-friendly products has been steadily shrinking over the past few years which has led to such consolidation of blindness-products merchants. The printed version of the LS&S catalog is half as thick as it was ten years ago. And someproducts, such as audible battery testers, are no longer available anywhere at any price. At some point, Maxi-Aids will probably also merge with someone else, leaving fewer shopping options for blind consumers.

Gerald

Sent: Thursday, February 02, 2017 8:44 PM

Hi all,

As I said, they have merged with LS&S here is their contact info from
their web site.

independent living aids
137 Rano Rd

Buffalo, NY 14207

Our Mailing Address

independent living aids
137 Rano Rd

Buffalo, NY 14207

Phone Numbers

Customer Service Hours

Ann P.

--
Ann K. Parsons
Portal Tutoring

Gerald Levy

On further inspection, it looks like ILA and LS&S have two different addresses in Buffalo and two different phone numbers, so it appears that they are still functioning independently of one another.

Gerald

Sent: Friday, February 03, 2017 6:44 AM

It sounds like ILA was acquired by LS&S because they moved their
headquarters from Long Island to Buffalo. Probably, most of their Long
Island employees lost their jobs. But I suspect that the number of
blind-friendly products has been steadily shrinking over the past few years
which has led to such consolidation of blindness-products merchants. The
printed version of the LS&S catalog is half as thick as it was ten years
ago. And someproducts, such as audible battery testers, are no longer
available anywhere at any price. At some point, Maxi-Aids will probably
also merge with someone else, leaving fewer shopping options for blind
consumers.

Gerald

Hi all,

their web site.

independent living aids
137 Rano Rd

Buffalo, NY 14207

Our Mailing Address

independent living aids
137 Rano Rd

Buffalo, NY 14207

Phone Numbers

Customer Service Hours

Ann P.

--
Ann K. Parsons
Portal Tutoring

Ann Parsons

Hi all,

Actually, Gerald, the market for blindness products is getting larger because of the growth of the elder population in the U.S. I believe I read somewhere that by 2030 there will be more elders than working aged people.

As for the international market, if you'd asked me two months ago I'd have said that these companies had a good chance of doing business outside the U.S. Now, I'm not so sure. Everything like that is on hold until we know more.

I wouldn't give up all hope, though. I think that there will be a market for blindness products for quite a while.

As for predictions of mergers, I dunnow. As I say, everything's on hold now.

If you really want an audible battery tester, look here:

http://www.abledata.com/indexing-terms/audible-battery-tester

Ann P.

Original message:

consumers.
Gerald

Hi all,
their web site.

independent living aids
137 Rano Rd
Buffalo, NY 14207

Our Mailing Address
independent living aids
137 Rano Rd
Buffalo, NY 14207

Phone Numbers

Customer Service Hours

Ann P.
--
Ann K. Parsons
Portal Tutoring

--
Ann K. Parsons
Portal Tutoring

Gerald Levy

Of the three audible battery testers listed on the Abledata site, only the EZ Test battery tester is sstill available. But it is grossly overpriced at $70, and it cannot test hearing aid and button cell batteries. Neither LS&S, nor ILA nor Maxi-Aids sells an audible battery tester. So for those of us who wear hearing aids, there is presently no way to test 1.5 volt hearing aid batteries except with a non-audible digital battery tester, which, of course, requires sighted help. And while it is certainly true that the aging baby boomer generation is increasing the market for blind-friendly products, the number of such products has actually been declining, because the blindness products merchants refuse to design and manufacture their own proprietary products to replace the ones that are no longer available. Many mainstream blind-friendly products used to be purchased by these merchants from Radio Shack for resale at inflated prices, but for all intents and purposes, the Shack is now defunct and no longer sells electronic accessories and components.

Gerald

Sent: Friday, February 03, 2017 8:16 AM

Hi all,

Actually, Gerald, the market for blindness products is getting larger
because of the growth of the elder population in the U.S. I believe I
read somewhere that by 2030 there will be more elders than working aged people.

As for the international market, if you'd asked me two months ago I'd
have said that these companies had a good chance of doing business
outside the U.S. Now, I'm not so sure. Everything like that is on
hold until we know more.

I wouldn't give up all hope, though. I think that there will be a
market for blindness products for quite a while.

As for predictions of mergers, I dunnow. As I say, everything's on hold now.

If you really want an audible battery tester, look here:

http://www.abledata.com/indexing-terms/audible-battery-tester

Ann P.

Original message:

consumers.
Gerald

Hi all,
their web site.

independent living aids
137 Rano Rd
Buffalo, NY 14207

Our Mailing Address
independent living aids
137 Rano Rd
Buffalo, NY 14207

Phone Numbers

Customer Service Hours

Ann P.
--
Ann K. Parsons
Portal Tutoring

--