From: main@TechTalk.groups.io [mailto:main@TechTalk.groups.io] On Behalf Of
Steve Matzura
Sent: Friday, February 3, 2017 11:40 AM
To: main@TechTalk.groups.io
Subject: [TechTalk] Updating Windows 10 to Build 1607

This is the second time my Windows 10 computer is attempting to update to
build 1607. The first time, it restarted, sat there, and did nothing for
over an hour. Since when does a Windows update take over an hour? That's why
I'm writing, thinking it's waiting for me to do something, but since I don't
have a screen connected, I don't know what that could even be. If I really
REALLY hafta-have-to, I'll drag out a monitor and get it looked at, but I
thought I'd ask my on-call panel of experts first. Is this normal? Should I
just wait and see what happens? or is it KNFB Reader time?

As always, thanks in advance.

Steve Matzura

Well well, wudda ya know! It took forty-five minutes, but it did its
thing. However, it got a bit uberzealous about some things.

1. Icons returned to the Task Bar

I had specifically unpinned Cortana, File Explorer, and one or two
other things from the Task Bar when I first installed Windows 10 a few
weeks ago. Now they are back, and seemingly unremovable.

2. I see the former Notification Center button that was just to the
left of the clock has been moved to the right thereof and renamed to
"Action Center." Same window, same stuff, new name, new placement.

3. If you're using the Classic Shell, you'll get a dialog that says it
has to reconfigure itself, you must press OK, it does its thing, you
get another OK info dialog, and it's done.

Hope this helps.

Steve Matzura

This is not your father's Windows. LOL.

On Fri, 3 Feb 2017 12:20:55 -0800, you wrote:

Hi,
For Anniversary Update (or for that matter, for any feature upgrade), this
is normal for the upgrade to take about an hour (depending on processor
speed, hard drive speed, data migration and other factors).
Cheers,
Joseph

This is the second time my Windows 10 computer is attempting to update to
build 1607. The first time, it restarted, sat there, and did nothing for
over an hour. Since when does a Windows update take over an hour? That's why
I'm writing, thinking it's waiting for me to do something, but since I don't
have a screen connected, I don't know what that could even be. If I really
REALLY hafta-have-to, I'll drag out a monitor and get it looked at, but I
thought I'd ask my on-call panel of experts first. Is this normal? Should I
just wait and see what happens? or is it KNFB Reader time?

As always, thanks in advance.

John Gregory <stratplayer@...>

Hi, do you have Microsoft Security Essentials installed? The last time I
upgraded the installation stopped at 99% and would not go any further. I
then got an 'Oops somethings gone wrong' message and the whole upgrade was a
waste of time. Anyway,to cut a long story short, it was MSE that prevented
the upgrade and as soon as I disabled it the upgrade went smoothly. I assume
this can also happen if other anti-virus or malware software is installed.
Just a thought which may help.

John.

This is the second time my Windows 10 computer is attempting to update
to build 1607. The first time, it restarted, sat there, and did
nothing for over an hour. Since when does a Windows update take over
an hour? That's why I'm writing, thinking it's waiting for me to do
something, but since I don't have a screen connected, I don't know
what that could even be. If I really REALLY hafta-have-to, I'll drag
out a monitor and get it looked at, but I thought I'd ask my on-call
panel of experts first. Is this normal? Should I just wait and see
what happens? or is it KNFB Reader time?

As always, thanks in advance.

Steve Matzura

In the following, I'm not bashing you, or anyone, for that matter, but
email being what it is, its tone could be misconstrued.

Think about this: Microsoft wants to upgrade your operating system.
Microsoft is what the "M" in "MSE" stands for. Now here's the
head-scratcher: Why, or how, would Microsoft Security Essentials get
in the way of upgrading a Microsoft product? That's MS getting in its
own way! Do you not find that absolutely hillariously uproariously
funny? I sure do!

In fact, I don't even know that I *do* have MSE, or Defender, or
whatever it's called in Windows 10, installed. I haven't gotten any
notices that I'm unprotected, so I must have something, but whatever
it is didn't hinder my update.

On Fri, 3 Feb 2017 20:27:51 -0000, you wrote:

[...]

Carlos

Windows Defender is included in Windows 10 by default.

This is the second time my Windows 10 computer is attempting to update
to build 1607. The first time, it restarted, sat there, and did
nothing for over an hour. Since when does a Windows update take over
an hour? That's why I'm writing, thinking it's waiting for me to do
something, but since I don't have a screen connected, I don't know
what that could even be. If I really REALLY hafta-have-to, I'll drag
out a monitor and get it looked at, but I thought I'd ask my on-call
panel of experts first. Is this normal? Should I just wait and see
what happens? or is it KNFB Reader time?

As always, thanks in advance.

John Gregory <stratplayer@...>

Yes, very hilarious, but actually true. MSE isn't compatible with Windows
10, hence the default installation of Windows Defender in the new OS.
However, your original message said you were upgrading to 1607, but did not
say you already had Win 10 installed and were doing a manual upgrade of
something that would have upgraded via Windows Update anyways. I assumed,
therefore, that you were upgrading from a previous version which could have
used MSE and, as with my example, actually happened under that scenario.

You do have Windows Defender installed and protecting your system, and if
you look in the 'notifications' you should see the message 'PC Status:
Protected' which means your system is being protected. That is Windows
Defender.

This is the second time my Windows 10 computer is attempting to update
to build 1607. The first time, it restarted, sat there, and did
nothing for over an hour. Since when does a Windows update take over
an hour? That's why I'm writing, thinking it's waiting for me to do
something, but since I don't have a screen connected, I don't know
what that could even be. If I really REALLY hafta-have-to, I'll drag
out a monitor and get it looked at, but I thought I'd ask my on-call
panel of experts first. Is this normal? Should I just wait and see
what happens? or is it KNFB Reader time?

As always, thanks in advance.

Nesma Aly <nesmaaly123@...>

Hi,
Can someone send me a link to force update my computer?
Thanks,
Nesma