Sent: Monday, March 13, 2017 10:46 AM
Subject: [TechTalk] unzipping folders or files o n Windows 7

Hello,

I run Windows 7. The only program I know to use is Winrar. I can play individual files but cannot move them.

I'd like to find a way around this. Thanks.

Joe Giovanelli

Pamela Dominguez

Windows 7 has its own unzip utility right in there. You hit the context menu key, and arrow down to extract all. It won't unzip rar files, though, but it will do regular zip files. 7zip will do rar files. Pam.

I run Windows 7. The only program I know to use is Winrar. I can play individual files but cannot move them.

I'd like to find a way around this. Thanks.

Joe Giovanelli

---
http://www.avg.com

Naima Leigh

Win Rar will do it all if you set it up to do it. I love that better than
7Zip.

Naima

Windows 7 has its own unzip utility right in there. You hit the context
menu key, and arrow down to extract all. It won't unzip rar files, though,
but it will do regular zip files. 7zip will do rar files. Pam.

I run Windows 7. The only program I know to use is Winrar. I can play
individual files but cannot move them.

I'd like to find a way around this. Thanks.

Joe Giovanelli

---
http://www.avg.com

Joe Giovanelli

Hi, and thanks for the info about Windows having its own unzip utility.

How do I find it or will it pop up when I try opening a zipped file?

Joe G.

Windows 7 has its own unzip utility right in there. You hit the context
menu key, and arrow down to extract all. It won't unzip rar files, though,
but it will do regular zip files. 7zip will do rar files. Pam.

I run Windows 7. The only program I know to use is Winrar. I can play
individual files but cannot move them.

I'd like to find a way around this. Thanks.

Joe Giovanelli

---
http://www.avg.com

Gene

It depends on what other unarchive programs are on your machine and what you have them set to do.  You can press enter on a zip file and see what happens.  If another unarchiving program comes up, then I'm not sure how you would change what occurs.  Uninstalling the other program may reverse the situation but I don't know.  Such behavior is controlled by the registry and more actions may be required.  it's probably easier to use whatever utility you generally use, unzip the entire archive, then move the unzipped files where you want.

Sent: Monday, March 13, 2017 1:45 PM

Hi, and thanks for the info about Windows having its own unzip utility.

How do I find it or will it pop up when I try opening a zipped file?

Joe G.

> Windows 7 has its own unzip utility right in there.  You hit the context
> menu key, and arrow down to extract all.  It won't unzip rar files, though,
> but it will do regular zip files.  7zip will do rar files.  Pam.

Mike B. <mb69mach1@...>

Hi Joe,

If you're missing the, Extract All, option from your context menu it can be re-installed.  Go to the link below to get the necessary files, & follow the steps in the message , or from the website.  I used the below info to re-install my Extract All option, & have had no problems since.

Extract All, Context Menu How To Add or Remove in Windows
How to Add or Remove 'Extract All' Context Menu for ZIP Files in Windows
Published by Brink

How to Add or Remove 'Extract All' Context Menu for ZIP Files in Windows

Information:
When you right click or press and hold on a .zip file, the Extract All context menu will extract all contents in the .zip file into a new folder and opens
the new folder.

This tutorial will show you how to add or remove the 'Extract All' context menu for .zip files for all users in Windows 7, Windows 8, and Windows 10.

You must be signed in to Windows as an administrator to be able to do the steps in this tutorial.

EXAMPLE: "Extract All" context menu

Name:  ZIP_Extract_All_context_menu.jpgSize:  35.0 KB

Here's How:

1. Do step 2 or step 3 below for what you would like to do.

2. To Add "Extract All" to Context Menu of .zip Files
NOTE:This is the default setting.
A) Click/tap on the Download button below to download the file below, and go to step 4 below.

Add_Extract_All_context_menu.reg

download
3. To Remove "Extract All" from Context Menu of .zip Files
A) Click/tap on the Download button below to download the file below, and go to step 4 below.

Remove_Extract_All_context_menu.reg

download
4. Save the .reg file to your desktop.

5. Double click/tap on the downloaded .reg file to merge it.

6. If prompted, click on Run, Yes
(UAC),
Yes, and OK to approve the merge.

7. You can now delete the downloaded .reg file if you like.

That's it,
Shawn
Take care.
Mike
Sent from my iBarstool.
Early to bed, early to rise, keep my iHemorrhoids from being a surprise.

Sent: Monday, March 13, 2017 1:45 PM

Hi, and thanks for the info about Windows having its own unzip utility.

How do I find it or will it pop up when I try opening a zipped file?

Joe G.

> Windows 7 has its own unzip utility right in there.  You hit the context
> menu key, and arrow down to extract all.  It won't unzip rar files, though,
> but it will do regular zip files.  7zip will do rar files.  Pam.

Gene

Wasn't the original question how to move files out of an archive without extracting the archive?  Adding the extract all option if it isn't there won't deal with the question.  Associations have to be changed, if they cause another extraction program to run when you press enter on the zip archive.  If you want to extract individual files from a zip archive, you can press enter on the zip archive and, if the Windows zip utility runs, you can move to a file in the list and then copy it to the clipboard.
Then you have to leave the archive opened, open the folder where you want to place the file in, and paste.
I am guessing that the instructions in the below message only add the items in the context menu.  I am guessing that they may well not change file associations that determine which program opens when you press enter on a zip file. I may be wrong so you can experiment if you like.

Someone may be able to tell you how to change the file associations so that the Windows zip utility opens when you press enter on a zip file if a different program opens now.  But I don't see that it makes that much difference if you use the Wwindows zip utility to unzip one file or use a different utility to unzip them all, then paste the file you want where you want it.  It may make a time difference that might be enough to matter if you are extracting really large files.  In a lot of cases, I don't think the time difference matters enough to go through the trouble.  You may spend more time tinkering and trying to solve the problem than you would unzipping four or five or many more archives using what you use now.

Sent: Monday, March 13, 2017 1:45 PM

Hi, and thanks for the info about Windows having its own unzip utility.

How do I find it or will it pop up when I try opening a zipped file?

Joe G.

> Windows 7 has its own unzip utility right in there.  You hit the context
> menu key, and arrow down to extract all.  It won't unzip rar files, though,
> but it will do regular zip files.  7zip will do rar files.  Pam.

Pamela Dominguez

Maybe I missed the original question.  But I responded to the question I saw.  Sorry!  Pam.

Sent: Monday, March 13, 2017 1:45 PM

Hi, and thanks for the info about Windows having its own unzip utility.

How do I find it or will it pop up when I try opening a zipped file?

Joe G.

> Windows 7 has its own unzip utility right in there.  You hit the context
> menu key, and arrow down to extract all.  It won't unzip rar files, though,
> but it will do regular zip files.  7zip will do rar files.  Pam.

Please check to see what message is quoted under the message you are reading before replying.  I usually reply to the message that is quoted below mine.  That is a common practice.

Sent: Monday, March 13, 2017 4:06 PM

Sent: Monday, March 13, 2017 1:45 PM

Hi, and thanks for the info about Windows having its own unzip utility.

How do I find it or will it pop up when I try opening a zipped file?

Joe G.

> Windows 7 has its own unzip utility right in there.  You hit the context
> menu key, and arrow down to extract all.  It won't unzip rar files, though,
> but it will do regular zip files.  7zip will do rar files.  Pam.

Pamela Dominguez

It's right there. What happens is, you put your cursor on the file, hit the applications key, and arrow down to extract all and hit enter and tab through it. Pam.

Hi, and thanks for the info about Windows having its own unzip utility.

How do I find it or will it pop up when I try opening a zipped file?

Joe G.

Windows 7 has its own unzip utility right in there. You hit the context
menu key, and arrow down to extract all. It won't unzip rar files, though,
but it will do regular zip files. 7zip will do rar files. Pam.

I run Windows 7. The only program I know to use is Winrar. I can play
individual files but cannot move them.

I'd like to find a way around this. Thanks.

Joe Giovanelli

---
http://www.avg.com

---
http://www.avg.com

Or, simply press the letter "t" to have your cursor moved to Extract All
after the press of the applications key.

Sincerely,
Olusegun
Denver, Colorado

Mike B. <mb69mach1@...>

Joe said, " Hi, and thanks for the info about Windows having its own unzip utility."
I provided the reinstall info in case he didn't have the Extract All option in his context menu.

Sent: Monday, March 13, 2017 1:45 PM

Hi, and thanks for the info about Windows having its own unzip utility.

How do I find it or will it pop up when I try opening a zipped file?

Joe G.

> Windows 7 has its own unzip utility right in there.  You hit the context
> menu key, and arrow down to extract all.  It won't unzip rar files, though,
> but it will do regular zip files.  7zip will do rar files.  Pam.

Joe Giovanelli

thanks, Pam. It worked well.

Joe G.

Windows 7 has its own unzip utility right in there. You hit the context
menu key, and arrow down to extract all. It won't unzip rar files, though,
but it will do regular zip files. 7zip will do rar files. Pam.

I run Windows 7. The only program I know to use is Winrar. I can play
individual files but cannot move them.

I'd like to find a way around this. Thanks.

Joe Giovanelli

---
http://www.avg.com

Gene

Evidently, then, you were replying to a later question.  Sorry about discussing the earlier question.

Sent: Monday, March 13, 2017 1:45 PM

Hi, and thanks for the info about Windows having its own unzip utility.

How do I find it or will it pop up when I try opening a zipped file?

Joe G.

> Windows 7 has its own unzip utility right in there.  You hit the context
> menu key, and arrow down to extract all.  It won't unzip rar files, though,
> but it will do regular zip files.  7zip will do rar files.  Pam.

Ann Parsons

Hi all,

I explained what to do. Simply sit on the file you want to unzip, do not enter the file. then open your context menu and it's in there. Just follow the prompts.

Ann P.

--
Ann K. Parsons
Portal Tutoring

"All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost."

David Petrilli

Hi everyone, I had extract all for zip files, then it was goan. I downloaded the file that replaced extract all. I installed it all went well. When I had a zip file highlited extract all was not in the menu. I could not find it default programs, I also rebooted still no joy. Any ideas,if not are there other free extractors.Thanks Dave

Sent from my iPhone

On Mar 13, 2017, at 9:43 PM, Ann Parsons <akp@sero.email> wrote:

Hi all,

I explained what to do. Simply sit on the file you want to unzip, do not enter the file. then open your context menu and it's in there. Just follow the prompts.

Ann P.

--
Ann K. Parsons
Portal Tutoring
** New EMAIL: akp@sero.email
Skype: Putertutor

"All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost."

Gene

Are you saying it just disappeared and you did nothing such as install another extraction program?  A system Restore will probably solve the problem.  Run a restore point before it disappeared.  If you have installed programs since that restore point or changed enough settings in programs that it would be inconvenient or annoying to run the restore point, you can install a program like 7zip.  While it's unlikely you will have any problems such as corruption of data by running system restore, it's possible.  So it's a little safer to install another program such as 7zip.  I'm telling you that so you can make an informed decision if you didn't know that.  I've used system restore for years with no corruption problems and it isn't much risk but it is one.
I don't know if you have your files such as documents, music, etc. backed up.  Microsoft says you should have such files backed up before running system restore.

Regarding 7zip, if you are running 64 bit windows you have to install the 64 bit version of the program or you won't have the 7zip submenu in the context menu.

Sent: Sunday, March 19, 2017 1:20 PM

Hi everyone, I had extract all for zip files, then it was goan. I downloaded the file that replaced extract all. I installed it all went well. When I had a zip file highlited extract all was not in the menu. I could not find it default programs, I also rebooted still no joy. Any ideas,if not are there other free extractors.Thanks Dave

Sent from my iPhone

> On Mar 13, 2017, at 9:43 PM, Ann Parsons <akp@...> wrote:
>
> Hi all,
>
> I explained what to do.  Simply sit on the file you want to unzip, do not enter the file.  then open your context menu and it's in there.   Just follow the prompts.
>
> Ann P.
>
> --
> Ann K. Parsons
> Portal Tutoring
> ** New EMAIL:  akp@...
> web site:  http://www.portaltutoring.info
> Skype: Putertutor
>
> "All that is gold does not glitter,
> Not all those who wander are lost."

Mike B. <mb69mach1@...>

Hi David,

If you're using a desktop computer there's an extended context menu that can be accessed with the, Shift + F10, keystroke.  The extended context menu gives more options than the context menu accessed via the applications / context menu key.  See if the extended menu has the extract all option.
Take care.
Mike
Sent from my iBarstool.
Early to bed, early to rise, keep my iHemorrhoids from being a surprise.

Hi everyone, I had extract all for zip files, then it was goan. I downloaded the file that replaced extract all. I installed it all went well. When I had a zip file highlited extract all was not in the menu. I could not find it default programs, I also rebooted still no joy. Any ideas,if not are there other free extractors.Thanks Dave

Sent from my iPhone

> On Mar 13, 2017, at 9:43 PM, Ann Parsons <akp@...> wrote:
>
> Hi all,
>
> I explained what to do.  Simply sit on the file you want to unzip, do not enter the file.  then open your context menu and it's in there.   Just follow the prompts.
>
> Ann P.
>
> --
> Ann K. Parsons
> Portal Tutoring
> ** New EMAIL:  akp@...
> web site:  http://www.portaltutoring.info
> Skype: Putertutor
>
> "All that is gold does not glitter,
> Not all those who wander are lost."

David Petrilli

Hi, I looked in the shift f10 menu still not there.extract all was replaced with read witch brings up adobe. There is choose default program but extract all is not there.I did not install any new programs. I did take the victor reader software as well as ensign printer software out of the start up group,I did put them back in the group.I even did a system restore. I liked extract all,but I well look at seven zip if there are no more ideas. Thanks again Dave

Sent from my iPhone