audacity vs goldwave

Kimsan

This might be subjective, but for a newbe, which program would be recommended to use when wanting to learn how to record an edit audio files?

Respectfully,

Kimsan Song

kimsansong@...

Rob <captinlogic@...>

Kimsan <kimsansong@icloud.com> wrote:
To: main@TechTalk.groups.io
This might be subjective, but for a newbe, which program would be
recommended to use when wanting to learn how to record an edit audio files?

GoldWave for sure. It is a single track editor with simplistic interface and not a very huge settings area, like a multi track editor. Audacity has the advantage of being free, however.

Naima Leigh

I say Gold Wave. It works better with screen readers.

One price no hassel.

Naima

From: main@TechTalk.groups.io [mailto:main@TechTalk.groups.io] On Behalf Of Kimsan
Sent: Wednesday, March 15, 2017 2:53 PM
Subject: [TechTalk] audacity vs goldwave

This might be subjective, but for a newbe, which program would be recommended to use when wanting to learn how to record an edit audio files?

Respectfully,

Kimsan Song

kimsansong@...

Victor

I think it just depends on how advanced and fancy you want to get with
your audio editing. If you want to produce more sophisticated audio
projects, I'm guessing Audacity might be better for those kinds of
things. We use Audacity at the radio station where I work.

HTH,

Victor

On 3/15/17, Naima Leigh <nleigh2016@gmail.com> wrote:

One price no hassel.

Naima

From: main@TechTalk.groups.io [mailto:main@TechTalk.groups.io] On Behalf Of
Kimsan

Respectfully,

Kimsan Song

kimsansong@icloud.com

Mike Thomas

I have no experience with audacity, but goldwave has been able to acomplish everything I've wanted to.  Don't forget the scripts that go with it for ease of use.

----- Original Message -----
Sent: Wednesday, March 15, 2017 3:05 PM
Subject: Re: [TechTalk] audacity vs goldwave

One price no hassel.

Naima

From: main@TechTalk.groups.io [mailto:main@TechTalk.groups.io] On Behalf Of Kimsan

Respectfully,

Kimsan Song

kimsansong@...

Victor

Goldwave is a great program and it's pretty easy to use.

Victor

On 3/15/17, Mike Thomas <wheeltime@centurylink.net> wrote:
I have no experience with audacity, but goldwave has been able to acomplish
everything I've wanted to. Don't forget the scripts that go with it for
ease of use.
Sent: Wednesday, March 15, 2017 3:05 PM

One price no hassel.

Naima

From: main@TechTalk.groups.io [mailto:main@TechTalk.groups.io] On Behalf
Of Kimsan

Respectfully,

Kimsan Song

kimsansong@icloud.com

Gene

Are you limiting yourself to the programs in the subject line?  If you intend to record and edit only mp3 files, Mp3 Direct Cut is an easier program to use than either of the ones you have in the subject line.  Recording itself isn't more difficult in the others but editing is more simple with mp3 direct cut.

Also, Goldwave isn't expensive but it's something like forty U.S. dollars.  Audacity and Mp3 Direct Cut are free.

I haven't used Goldwave enough to compare it with Audacity but I used it enough to know that, as I said, editing is easier in Mp3 Direct cut than either of the others.

Gene

Sent: Wednesday, March 15, 2017 1:53 PM

Respectfully,

Kimsan Song

kimsansong@...

Gene

Are those recommending Goldwave over Audacity doing so based on being familiar with Audacity in the last year or two?  One or perhaps more features have been added that make editing easier from what I've seen in discussions.  Whether editing is easier in Goldwave, I don't know.  But there seems to me to be a bias toward Goldwave among many blind users and I suspect that many aren't familiar with Audacity to the extent that a recommendation is necessarily based on more than bias or second hand opinions.  for example, Audacity works perfectly well with screen-readers.  That's a different question than editing but it illustrates my point.  There is a demo of Gold wave.  You may want to compare the two programs.

Gene

Sent: Wednesday, March 15, 2017 2:12 PM

your audio editing.  If you want to produce more sophisticated audio
things.  We use Audacity at the radio station where I work.

HTH,

Victor

On 3/15/17, Naima Leigh <nleigh2016@...> wrote:
> I say Gold Wave. It works better with screen readers.
>
>
>
> One price no hassel.
>
>
>
> Naima
>
>
>
>
>
> From: main@TechTalk.groups.io [mailto:main@TechTalk.groups.io] On Behalf Of
> Kimsan
> Sent: Wednesday, March 15, 2017 2:53 PM
> To: main@TechTalk.groups.io
> Subject: [TechTalk] audacity vs goldwave
>
>
>
> This might be subjective, but for a newbe, which program would be
> recommended to use when wanting to learn how to record an edit audio files?
>
>
>
> Respectfully,
>
> Kimsan Song
>
> kimsansong@...
>
>
>
>
>
>

Rob <captinlogic@...>

Gene <gsasner@ripco.com> wrote:
Are those recommending Goldwave over Audacity doing so based on being familiar with Audacity in the last year or two? One or perhaps more features have been added that make editing easier from what I've seen in discussions.
My recommendation of GoldWave is based on it's relative small learning curve. I have never used audacity, but I have used Cakewalk Sonar which is another full featured multi track editor/recorder. If audacity's learning curve is anything like sonar, it won't be very newby friendly.

Carlos

I agree that blind users seem to be biased towards GoldWave.  Although I believe the bias is in part due to dependency on scripts for a program which is perfectly usable without them.  As to how it compares with Audacity, in my opinion they are both equally simple to use for basic recording and editing.  Yes Audacity has multitrack capabilities, but it opens a new project with a single track and that is all you ever have to use if you're not interested in multitrack recording.

Sent: Wednesday, March 15, 2017 3:59 PM

Are those recommending Goldwave over Audacity doing so based on being familiar with Audacity in the last year or two?  One or perhaps more features have been added that make editing easier from what I've seen in discussions.  Whether editing is easier in Goldwave, I don't know.  But there seems to me to be a bias toward Goldwave among many blind users and I suspect that many aren't familiar with Audacity to the extent that a recommendation is necessarily based on more than bias or second hand opinions.  for example, Audacity works perfectly well with screen-readers.  That's a different question than editing but it illustrates my point.  There is a demo of Gold wave.  You may want to compare the two programs.

Gene
Sent: Wednesday, March 15, 2017 2:12 PM

your audio editing.  If you want to produce more sophisticated audio
things.  We use Audacity at the radio station where I work.

HTH,

Victor

On 3/15/17, Naima Leigh <nleigh2016@...> wrote:
> I say Gold Wave. It works better with screen readers.
>
>
>
> One price no hassel.
>
>
>
> Naima
>
>
>
>
>
> From: main@TechTalk.groups.io [mailto:main@TechTalk.groups.io] On Behalf Of
> Kimsan
> Sent: Wednesday, March 15, 2017 2:53 PM
> To: main@TechTalk.groups.io
> Subject: [TechTalk] audacity vs goldwave
>
>
>
> This might be subjective, but for a newbe, which program would be
> recommended to use when wanting to learn how to record an edit audio files?
>
>
>
> Respectfully,
>
> Kimsan Song
>
> kimsansong@...
>
>
>
>
>
>

Kimsan

Victor and anyone else who'd like to respond:

In short, here's a scenario.
Podcast opens up with intro music, over the music will be someone introducing the podcast, music fades out as the actual podcast begins, and the ending will also have music to close out with any announcements etc.
Now will $50 need to be spent to do something like this?

Respectfully,
Kimsan Song
kimsansong@icloud.com

-----Original Message-----
From: main@TechTalk.groups.io [mailto:main@TechTalk.groups.io] On Behalf Of Victor
Sent: Wednesday, March 15, 2017 12:13 PM

I think it just depends on how advanced and fancy you want to get with your audio editing. If you want to produce more sophisticated audio projects, I'm guessing Audacity might be better for those kinds of things. We use Audacity at the radio station where I work.

HTH,

Victor

One price no hassel.

Naima

From: main@TechTalk.groups.io [mailto:main@TechTalk.groups.io] On
Behalf Of Kimsan

Respectfully,

Kimsan Song

kimsansong@icloud.com

Carlos

LOL Audacity's learning curve is nothing like Sonar's. The only thing it has in common with Sonar is multitrack capability, but aside from that, the interface of Audacity is closer in resemblance to a basic audio editor like GoldWave.

To: <main@TechTalk.groups.io>
Sent: Wednesday, March 15, 2017 4:04 PM

Gene <gsasner@ripco.com> wrote:
Are those recommending Goldwave over Audacity doing so based on being familiar with Audacity in the last year or two? One or perhaps more features have been added that make editing easier from what I've seen in discussions.
My recommendation of GoldWave is based on it's relative small learning curve. I have never used audacity, but I have used Cakewalk Sonar which is another full featured multi track editor/recorder. If audacity's learning curve is anything like sonar, it won't be very newby friendly.

Kimsan

Gene:

How do I record using mp3 direct cut? I couldn’t find recording option when I last viewed it.

Also, can it do what I mentioned in another email?

Respectfully,

Kimsan Song

kimsansong@...

From: main@TechTalk.groups.io [mailto:main@TechTalk.groups.io] On Behalf Of Gene
Sent: Wednesday, March 15, 2017 12:54 PM

Are you limiting yourself to the programs in the subject line?  If you intend to record and edit only mp3 files, Mp3 Direct Cut is an easier program to use than either of the ones you have in the subject line.  Recording itself isn't more difficult in the others but editing is more simple with mp3 direct cut.

Also, Goldwave isn't expensive but it's something like forty U.S. dollars.  Audacity and Mp3 Direct Cut are free.

I haven't used Goldwave enough to compare it with Audacity but I used it enough to know that, as I said, editing is easier in Mp3 Direct cut than either of the others.

Gene

Respectfully,

Kimsan Song

kimsansong@...

Carlos

No. This can all be done with either Audacity or GoldWave, but that was not your original question. For my personal opinion, see my previous message.

Sent: Wednesday, March 15, 2017 4:17 PM

Podcast opens up with intro music, over the music will be someone introducing the podcast, music fades out as the actual podcast begins, and the ending will also have music to close out with any announcements etc.

Respectfully,
Kimsan Song
kimsansong@icloud.com

From: main@TechTalk.groups.io [mailto:main@TechTalk.groups.io] On Behalf Of Victor

I think it just depends on how advanced and fancy you want to get with your audio editing. If you want to produce more sophisticated audio projects, I'm guessing Audacity might be better for those kinds of things. We use Audacity at the radio station where I work.

HTH,

Victor

One price no hassel.

Naima

Behalf Of Kimsan

Respectfully,

Kimsan Song

kimsansong@icloud.com

Kimsan

And, I expanded on my original question.
First, I asked about a newby, now I am asking if what I wrote could be done according to the newby who is looking for program recommendations such as goldwave, audacity, even mp3 direct cut.

Respectfully,
Kimsan Song
kimsansong@icloud.com

From: main@TechTalk.groups.io [mailto:main@TechTalk.groups.io] On Behalf Of Carlos
Sent: Wednesday, March 15, 2017 1:23 PM

No. This can all be done with either Audacity or GoldWave, but that was not your original question. For my personal opinion, see my previous message.
Sent: Wednesday, March 15, 2017 4:17 PM

Respectfully,
Kimsan Song
kimsansong@icloud.com

HTH,

Victor

One price no hassel.

Naima

Behalf Of Kimsan

recommended to use when wanting to learn how to record an edit audio
files?

Respectfully,

Kimsan Song

kimsansong@icloud.com

Gene

But it's still based on supposition and on extrapolating from one multitrack editor to another.  Editing may be more difficult just because it is.  But I've used Audacity enough to be able to say that, though there may be this or that detail to learn because it is a multitrack recorder, recording is as simple as opening the program and typing r.  To pause and then resume, type p to pause then p to resume.  You have various options for saving files.  It depends on whether you are going to edit them or work on them further.  I won't go into that here.  But I would suggest, given what I see in such discussions as a bias resulting from a lot of people using gold Wave who haven't used Audacity and recommending Goldwave for that reason, that joining the Audacity list and getting answers to some specific questions would be a good idea instead of just following the larger number of recommendations which, I suspect, are largely based on the relative number of users. 

Audacity is a multitrack recorder but you can use it as a single track recorder by just not recording multiple tracks. 

Gene

Sent: Wednesday, March 15, 2017 3:04 PM

Gene <gsasner@...> wrote:
> Are those recommending Goldwave over Audacity doing so based on being familiar with Audacity in the last year or two?  One or perhaps more features have been added that make editing easier from what I've seen in discussions.

Naima Leigh

Yes, I think so. The last time I checked Gold Wave was $45. If you want the best you will have to spen a little of money. I would!

Sent: Wednesday, March 15, 2017 4:18 PM

Respectfully,
Kimsan Song
kimsansong@icloud.com

HTH,

Victor

One price no hassel.

Naima

Behalf Of Kimsan

Respectfully,

Kimsan Song

kimsansong@icloud.com

Carlos

First download mp3DirectCut here.
http://www.snapfiles.com/php/sfdwnld.php?id=102248&a=7133480&loc=2
Then you must also download the LAME MP3 encoder here.
http://www.rarewares.org/files/mp3/lame3.99.5.zip
After downloading both files, install mp3DirectCut and then unzip the LAME MP3 archive.  In the LAME archive you will find a file named
lame_enc.dll
This is the LAME encoder and you should copy it into the mp3DirectCut installation folder which is
C:\Program Files\mp3DirectCut
on 32 bit editions of Windows and
C:\Program Files (x86)\mp3DirectCut
on 64 bit editions.

There are two steps to start recording.  Press the letter R to put
mp3DirectCut into recording mode, then press the Spacebar to actually start
recording.  To stop recording, you can either press the letter S or the
Spacebar again.

Sent: Wednesday, March 15, 2017 4:19 PM

Gene:

How do I record using mp3 direct cut? I couldn’t find recording option when I last viewed it.

Also, can it do what I mentioned in another email?

Respectfully,

Kimsan Song

kimsansong@...

From: main@TechTalk.groups.io [mailto:main@TechTalk.groups.io] On Behalf Of Gene
Sent: Wednesday, March 15, 2017 12:54 PM

Gene

Respectfully,

Kimsan Song

kimsansong@...

Kimsan

I wouldn't mine spending the money, but if audacity does the same thing, why spend 50 or under.

Respectfully,
Kimsan Song
kimsansong@icloud.com

From: main@TechTalk.groups.io [mailto:main@TechTalk.groups.io] On Behalf Of Naima Leigh
Sent: Wednesday, March 15, 2017 1:31 PM

Yes, I think so. The last time I checked Gold Wave was $45. If you want the best you will have to spen a little of money. I would!

Respectfully,
Kimsan Song
kimsansong@icloud.com

HTH,

Victor

One price no hassel.

Naima

Behalf Of Kimsan

Respectfully,

Kimsan Song

kimsansong@icloud.com

Carlos

GoldWave is neither the best or better than Audacity. As Kimsan indicated, this is somewhat subjective. Although aside from the multitrack features in Audacity, I would say they are comparable, if different, in respect to other capabilities.

Sent: Wednesday, March 15, 2017 4:30 PM

Respectfully,
Kimsan Song
kimsansong@icloud.com

HTH,

Victor

One price no hassel.

Naima

Behalf Of Kimsan

Respectfully,

Kimsan Song

kimsansong@icloud.com