intro and buying new computer

Josh Kennedy

hi
I am new to the list. I recently bought a computer from blair technology group. when it came in the mail and i tried setting it up with windows10 home this laptop was a special order with a 120gb solid state drive... anyway narrator would not come on. i plugged in a external keyboard, finnished setting it up and got it onto the desktop. through experimenting i found the laptop's built-in keyboard has some keys that do not work. so i called and asked for a return shipping label to send it back and have it repaired. they are sending me one in the mail. But my question sis this. if for some reason they cannot repair it and they return my $220 I am then planning to get a new computer. my two choices are these.
1. for $199, hp stream 11.6 inch screen windows10 home and latest laptop with AMD e2 processor, 4gigs ram and 32gb EMMC storeage with micro sd card slot. main issue is windows10 does not let you yet, use the sd card as permanent storeage to store apps and all user data including your %appdata% folder on the sd card. in other words you cannot yet set the sd card as the default write disk for everything like you can with some android devices like with my blu energy x phone.
or my second choice
2. for $289, hp f222wm 15 inch touch screen windows10 home latest laptop with pentium n quad core, 500gb traditional spinning hard drive 4gigs ram.
but I hope blair technology group can repair or replace the computer and give me a good refurbished working one. what do you all think?

Josh Kennedy

Nimer Jaber

My pick would be the Stream for sure... SSD over standard HD any day.

Thanks.

--
Cordially,

Nimer Jaber

Please take the time to read this signature completely as it contains
some information about the email you have just read and all
attachments contained within as well as some valuable resources and
methods for contacting me if you have any questions or wish to talk.

up to you. Thanks.

Registered Linux User 529141.
http://counter.li.org/

and above, please click here:
http://www.nvda-project.org

To contact me, you can reply to this email or you may call me at (218-693-9271) and I will do my best to respond to you promptly. Thank
you, and have a great day!

Carlos

The Stream is using EMMC flash which is slow solid state memory used in cheap tablets and laptops.  Not at all equivalent to a true SSD.  The f222wm has a conventional mechanical drive with much more storage capacity which could most likely be swapped out later for a true SSD if desired.  Besides, this argument of SSD versus conventional mechanical drive has it's limits when the buyer is clearly working on a budget.  In this case, I would say that 500 GB of conventional storage is much more valuable than 32 GB of slow EMMC solid state flash.

[...]

Norman

Hello.

I agree. 32 GB of storage doesn't go very far with windows. Keep in mind, this holds the windows installation as well so you will probably not have more than 16 GB available once set up. If you're doing audio and video editing and running programs like jaws or office on it it's not going to last that long. If you're truly stuck on those 2 computers then go with the more expensive one. Then if you wish you could get a 120 GB ssd if you really want it.

On 3/20/2017 3:53 PM, Carlos wrote:
[...]

my only concern is with storeage on the stream. 4gigs of ram is enough for what I do. the only real reason I'd need 8gigs ram is if I did tons of audio editing or ran memory hungry virtual machines, which I don't do. I'm just wondering if I could somehow save my favorite audio games, and jaws for windows microsoft office, NVDA and a few other apps would they all fit on the 32gigs of space? I guess I could make sure windows10 is compacted with the command line

compact /compactos:always

running it in an admin command line will compact the OS and compress it as small as possible. Blair gave me a free shipping label so they said I can send it back and they will repair the laptop or replace it since its under the 1 year warranty. if only windows10 would let me change the default write disk to the sd card and migrate the entire users folder and all subfolders and also the program files folders and program data folders over to the micro sd card then storeage on the hp stream latest model with 4gigs ram would not be an issue.

On 3/20/2017 3:34 PM, Nimer Jaber wrote:
[...]

but yes i agree, ssd is much much faster and better than a regular hard drive anyday.

[...]

I am hoping that blair technology group either repairs or replaces the laptop and when I get it back its working good and I may not have to buy something new for another 4 or 5 years or so.

[...]

Hi Josh:

Hopefully what I am about to suggest is NOT a twisted thought ... In a few
weeks, Windows10 Creator will be released and it should come with a talking
installer. I have not personally investigated Windows10 much, but this new
development might make me think things over.

I don't know for sure what almighty Microsoft has in mind, but, typically,
Windows comes in all kinds of flavors and I doubt that Windows10 is an
exception to this rule. Wouldn't it be better to consider getting a
Windows10 Creator Home Edition when it is released in April?

Assuming my thinking is NOT horridly twisted, I am of the opinion that
waiting till April if possible might make better sense! I would hope that
you have enough gear to keep chugging along until then. With that, I'll
disappear and wait to be straightened out by the many folks who are deeper
in the trenches than I am!

Sincerely,
Olusegun
Denver, Colorado

Carlos

At least with Windows 10, while the talking installation will certainly be useful, I don't think it is enough of a game changer on which to base a decision. Windows 10 already allows you to perform a reset which is fairly accessible. Besides, if you purchase any machine running Windows 10, the Creators edition will be a free upgrade anyway.

[...]

enes sarıbaş

hi,

whatever version of windows 10 comes, the creator's update will be pushed out to all devices.

----- Original Message ----- From: "Olusegun -- Victory Associates LTD, Inc." <ukekearuaro@valtdnet.com>
[...]

my advice will be to get the laptop with 500gb storage.
life of emmc is very short and its very slow to an ssd or even a old hd

On 3/21/17, enes sarıbaş <enes.saribas@gmail.com> wrote:
[...]

austinpinto.xaviers@gmail.com
follow me on twitter.
austinmpinto
contact me on skype.
austin.pinto3

Josh Kennedy

I just wish that when computer companies sent you a new computer they would email you a copy of the activation key or put it on a braille label inside the box. because I rarely have sighted help around here and although I have a legal license for windows without sighted help if I want to activate my windows I then have to use something like reloader to activate it illegally when I have a perfectly legal key I could use, if only I could see to read it, or had it in audio, or in braille or in an email to somehow type it in.

On 3/20/2017 10:57 PM, Carlos wrote:
[...]

Ann Parsons

Hi all,

When getting a new computer, the operative question before beginning to look is: what are you going to do with this computer?

One flaw I see in this mix is the lack of ROM. If you are fond of music, podcasts and/or audio books, 32GB is a drop in the bucket. One average sized audio book from BARD can take up between 80MB and 120MB. You have ten books, and there's a gig already used up, boom! Podcasts, especially those done by less professional outfits can take up lots of unneeded megs. Music can do this too.

If I didn't have a lot of money, I'd look at the outfit in TX, Computers for the Blind, I think it's called. At least you'd get enough ROM to go on with. 4GB of RAM isn't all that much and may become troublesome. Me, I'd vote for 8GB of RAM, that will avoid robbing peter to pay Paul in memory issues.

Of course, it's up to you, but think carefully about what you want to do and the amount of money you have to spend. If all you do is consider cheap above everything else, then cheap is what you will get. You get what you pay for, caveat emptor.

Ann P.

--
Ann K. Parsons
Portal Tutoring

"All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost."

Lenron

I would take that bigger mechanical drive over that small ssd anyday.
The extra time it will take to load will not kill me plus I could
always upgrade that drive later.

On 3/21/17, Ann Parsons <akp@sero.email> wrote:
[...]

Lenron Brown
Cell: 985-271-2832
Skype: ron.brown762

Loy <loyrg2845@...>

If you have to buy a new computer I would suggest you get one with a faster processor at least 3GHz and at least 500GB hard drive and 8 MB RAM.

[...]

Sometimes people are limited by their funds and they have to settle for what they can afford.  Simply buying bigger and better is not always an option for everyone.

[...]

If I got to settle for junk I would rather save. It makes it so I
don't have to purchase something new so soon.

On Mon, Mar 20, 2017 at 2:29 PM Josh Kennedy <joshknnd1982@gmail.com>
wrote:

[...]

correspondence. Action taken as a result of this email or its
contents
attachments for security threats. However, security of your machine
is
up to you. Thanks.

Registered Linux User 529141.
http://counter.li.org/

and above, please click here:
http://www.nvda-project.org

To contact me, you can reply to this email or you may call me at
(218-693-9271) and I will do my best to respond to you promptly. Thank
you, and have a great day!

--
Lenron Brown
Cell: 985-271-2832
Skype: ron.brown762

Carlos

People have to eat and pay bills as well. Not everyone can afford to save. And junk is a matter of prospective. If a user only has basic requirements, then a basic machine may be all that they need.

Rob <captinlogic@...>

Carlos <carlos1106@nyc.rr.com> wrote:
People have to eat and pay bills as well. Not everyone can afford to save.
Ah, you mean we can't live on love? Shame...

Carlos

LOL. But seriously, I grew up poor myself and I know first-hand that saving is not always an option.