W3C Pushes Past Critics as DRM Gets Closer to Becoming an Official Web Standard #article

enes sarıbaş

Dave

Hello Enis,

I may be reading more into this article than is there, but below is my
take on this new Standard.

It is Bad News for everyone but those providing acceptable Content. As
usual, it is all about Control, and of course Money.

The Internet is too Free, and lots of people dislike this Freedom. This
Freedom often exposes them as the Evil of the World, or just a Company
that does not provide a Good product.

This Control will be able to "Control" all aspects of the Internet,
everything from Political News and especially Criticism, to someone
recording a song off of Youtube for their Music collection.

Truth is something to be valued, and there are Nations, as well as
various Groups who wish to Control what Truth is Published for the World
to read and digest.

This article mentioned the new standard would hinder those needing
Special Accessibility considerations. I did not understand how someone
using a Screen Reader would be hindered any more than anyone else using
the Internet.

From this article, it sounds like everyone will run into some serious
restrictions when using the Internet.

When you have a Governing Group, Filtering all Internet content, you can
bet that information the Controllers would find objectionable magically never
gets published.

This Grab for Control is not a surprise, as there have been attempts to
limit Freedom of Speech in the past. When President Obama gave
Control of the Internet to an International Group, the Writing was on
the Wall.

My focus in this commentary has been mostly on Freedom of Speech, but
another aspect of all of this Control is the Money that many believe
they are losing due to the Free nature of the Internet.

When Millions or Billions are at stake, who cares about Freedom of
Speech. In fact, being able to limit criticisms would be seen as a good
thing by some of these Companies and Groups.

As far as some GBrowsers not working as well. . . I figure the Browser
will adjust to the new standard and we won't have multiple standards as
we did back in the early days of the Internet.

Grumpy Dave

--
Dave <dlh007@centurylink.net>

enes sarıbaş

hi,
I agree with your observations. Content providers are forcing browsers to intigrate technologies to protect their so called rights. The problem probably with accessibility is that the drm system will not expose controls, and anyone (including screen reader developers) using nonstandard methods to access the controls of the ap will be considered to be breaching copyright.

On 3/27/2017 4:42 PM, Dave wrote:
[...]

From this article, it sounds like everyone will run into some serious
[...]

Ah, Now I see what you mean.

Well, from my point of view, Accessibility has been sliding backwards
for several years.

I have voiced this opinion before, and some may disagree, and others
share my point of view.

With a New Standard, and one that doesn't cooperate well with Screen
Readers, this could cause serious cuts in levels of Access in the coming
years.

Guess before I Push the Panic Button, I'll need to wait and see just how
this New Standard manifests itself.

Enis, do you know who is pushing this New Standard the most?

Grumpy Dave

--
Dave <dlh007@centurylink.net>

enes sarıbaş

hi,

I don't actually, however I would asume the movie and music companies. The first I heard about this standard was through the website.

On 3/28/2017 4:02 AM, Dave wrote:
Ah, Now I see what you mean.

Well, from my point of view, Accessibility has been sliding backwards
for several years.

I have voiced this opinion before, and some may disagree, and others
share my point of view.

With a New Standard, and one that doesn't cooperate well with Screen
Readers, this could cause serious cuts in levels of Access in the coming
years.

Guess before I Push the Panic Button, I'll need to wait and see just how
this New Standard manifests itself.

Enis, do you know who is pushing this New Standard the most?

Grumpy Dave

Pamela Dominguez

And how long it is going to take to become part of everything? Pam.

Well, from my point of view, Accessibility has been sliding backwards
for several years.

I have voiced this opinion before, and some may disagree, and others
share my point of view.

With a New Standard, and one that doesn't cooperate well with Screen
Readers, this could cause serious cuts in levels of Access in the coming
years.

Guess before I Push the Panic Button, I'll need to wait and see just how
this New Standard manifests itself.

Enis, do you know who is pushing this New Standard the most?

Grumpy Dave

--
Dave <dlh007@centurylink.net>

---