question on reading e-mails

Vicki W

I have a question about reading e-mails from one e-mail program with another e-mail program.

I have hundreds of e-mails saved from Outlook Express, many with links, and I am now thinking of switching to Outlook.

My question is this. Since Outlook Express saved e-mails have a .eml extension, and Outlook e-mails have another extension, will I be able to open, read and access the links, etc., in my saved Outlook Express e-mails with the Outlook program?

Thanks.

Vicki

Ron Canazzi

Hi Vicki,

You can use the import feature in Outlook to import those messages into the proper format.

--
They Ask Me If I'm Happy; I say Yes.
They ask: "How Happy are You?"

Vicki W

I'm not sure what that means, import, yes, but does that means those messages will be imported into the program or will they be converted to the correct format as I open them and still remain on my computer in a folder as a saved message?

[...]

It means that you will first export the messages using the Outlook Express export for messages features and then you will use the Outlook Import feature by highlighting the folder/file where the messages have been exported and then, the messages will be imported into Outlook in the proper format.

On 3/30/2017 2:13 AM, Vicki wrote:
[...]

John Gregory <stratplayer@...>

Hi Vicky,

Are you currently using Outlook Express, or do you just have emails stored in a folder? I can give you step-by-step instructions on how to migrate the old OE emails and import them into Outlook, but first I need to know the following:

1.       Are you intending to import emails currently listed and being used in Outlook Express?

2.       Which version of Microsoft Outlook are you intending to use, 2010, 2013 or 2016?

3.       Will Microsoft Outlook be installed on the same machine as Outlook Express or a different machine?

John.

[...]

My e-mails are stored in a folder.

I will be using Outlook 2010.

I currently do not have Outlook Express installed on the machine.

I am mainly interested in just being able to open and read, as well as access links in my saved Outlook Express e-mails that are saved in folders on my computer, not in Outlook Express.

You can use the import feature in Outlook to import those messages into the proper format.

On 3/29/2017 5:38 PM, Vicki wrote:

I have a question about reading e-mails from one e-mail program with another e-mail program.

I have hundreds of e-mails saved from Outlook Express, many with links, and I am now thinking of switching to Outlook.

My question is this. Since Outlook Express saved e-mails have a .eml extension, and Outlook e-mails have another extension, will I be able to open, read and access the links, etc., in my saved Outlook Express e-mails with the Outlook program?

Thanks.

Vicki

--
They Ask Me If I'm Happy; I say Yes.
They ask: "How Happy are You?"

They Ask Me If I'm Happy; I say Yes.
They ask: "How Happy are You?"

What extension do the Outlook Express messages you saved have?  I haven't used Outlook Express for years and I'm not sure I remember the choices.  Perhaps you can convert them with a third party extension to the eml format.

[...]

The fact that you are not using OE complicates things somewhat, especially relating to the ‘manual’ conversion. To manually convert you would need to have OE installed and also install Windows Live Mail. While OE is a Microsoft product, it is in no way compatible with MS Outlook and Outlook will not import OE emails directly. The manual process requires importing OE mail into Live Mail and then exporting to a PST file. There are, as Gene mentioned, 3rd party software vendors that provide DBX to PST converters which is the most effective means of converting.

As a matter of interest, how did you extract the files/emails you say you have in a folder, which were originally in Outlook Express?

John.

[...]

I am currently using Outlook Express on my desktop computer. I have saved, over the years, many e-mails in folders on the computer in the .eml format.

I want to use Outlook 2010 on my laptop, so I wanted to be sure that I could open those files using that program on my laptop. It seems as though I cannot.

My other option is to install Outlook Express on my laptop. I thought Outlook might be a more stable program, although I don't have too many issues that I can't deal with using Outlook Express, more just irritating ones. I was hoping to avoid those.

Vicki

[...]

EML is a widely used e-mail format.  I would be very surprised if Outlook doesn't use it or work with it.  If it is your default e-mail program, pressing enter on any saved message in that format should cause it to open in the program.

Just so you know, you have a lot of other choices than Outlook Express.  Windows Live Mail uses the format, and I would think e-mail programs do in general.

Gene

[...]

Carlos

It is not the format in which Outlook stores messages, but most clients can import and export EML files.

[...]

I just checked.  Outlook used to support EML but that changed at some point.  I haven't done enough checking to see how to work around the problem or perhaps convert the files to the format Outlook works with.

But the discussion raises another question.  Outlook Express isn't supposed to be used beyond XP.  There is a version that has been altered so that it can be.  Some people use it without problems and some people have problems.  But is there any particular reason why you want to use Outlook?  Is it coming with the computer?  You can use Windows Live Mail or Thunderbirrd and they are both free.  I know that Windows Live Mail uses EML.  I don't know about Thunderbird but I would expect it to.  It's a widely used format.

If you want to read eml files in Outlook, I may have more information about that in a later message.

[...]

According to what I read in looking further, what I said at the outset is correct.  You can set Outlook as your default mail program and press enter on an EML message.  That opens the message in Outlook.  I'll do further checking to make sure that the information I've seen is correct.  If it isn't, I'll send another message.

[...]

Here is an answer from a Microsoft site that provides more information.  The short answer is that for your version of Outlook, you can just make it the default e-mail program and press enter on an EML message. This may not work for some earlier versions, as discussed in this brief excerpt.

Gene
It is possible to do this but since support for this in Outlook 2003 and Outlook 2007 was only introduced after their releases, make sure you have the latest updates installed for Outlook before attempting this registry fix.
[...]

Janet Gross

Hi Everyone,

I am currently using Outlook 2007, and I just don’t like it maybe because of all the whistles and bells that seem to come along with the program.  I was talking to MS sometime last year about email programs, and they told me MS doesn’t support Outlook 07 anymore, I asked them about me using Windows Live Mail, and they said MS doesn’t support that either.  Do you know if this is true? MS wanted me to purchase Outlook 2016, but I just don’t want Outlook as an email client anymore.  I will adventually find an email program without all the whistles and bells though.

Janet

Tomorrow's Another Day, Another Way, and If Tomorrow Never Comes, Problem Solved!

[...]

Rajmund <brajmund2000@...>

hi,
thunderbird does accept EMLs.

Sent from Thunderbird

On 30/03/17 11:36 PM, Gene wrote:
[...]

MS doesn't support Windows Live Mail now, but that has nothing to do with whether you can use it.  A lot of people still use it.

[...]

Mike B. <mb69mach1@...>

Hi Vicky & John,

There's a free program called EML Viewer that supposed to allow someone to read this type of email since Outlook Express uses the, .eml, file extension.  Info is below:
Website / Link:

Documentation:

Version 1.7
Updated 02/13/2013
FREE
PROGRAM FEATURES
 ceml is a free eml / nws file viewer. Neither Windows 7 nor Windows 8 come with a program capable of reading eml or nws files (message files from Microsoft
email programs Outlook Express, Windows Mail and Windows Live Mail). So users of Windows 7 and Windows 8 needn't download an entire suite of programs in
order to read and browse their messages -- they can download this free program instead. This program also works in Windows XP and Windows Vista.
ceml screen shot

 If the user browses to a directory of eml / nws files, it will show the list of files in a message list along with the message properties such as Received
date, Subject, To, From, Newsgroups, Size, References, Message_Id and File name for each file. There is also a column labeled "A" which will show the letter
"A" if the message has attachments.

 The user can then select the message in the list and it will display in the preview pane below the message. The preview pane can be disabled via the View
menu.

 Columns in the message list can be reordered and clicking on a column header will sort by that column in one direction and clicking again will sort in
the other direction. Sorted columns will be prepended with a " ^ " character when sorted ascending and with a " _ " character when sorted descending.

The message view is now filtered.  Many email senders use linked images to track recipients, so linked images are now blocked by default and the user can
click the button to enable showing the linked images.  Similarly, dynamic HTML, such as scripting, is also blocked by default.  To enable such dynamic
HTML, the user must first go to View | Enable Full HTML and then the checkbox labeled "Full HTML" will be enabled and the user must also check this box
to show a message with the HTML unfiltered.

If the message has attachments, then when then user selects the message and it is displayed, a box with the character "A" inside is displayed in the upper
left of the displayed message. Clicking on this box will display the list of attachments and the size of each attachment as well as a "Save Attachments"
menu item. If the user clicks on the name of an attachment in this list, then the user is prompted to save the attachment in the location the user designates.
If the "Save Attachments" menu item is clicked, the user is prompted for the location to save all the attachments. Note that the File menu also includes
a "Save Attachments" menu choice. When clicked, the user is then prompted and the attachments are saved to the designated location. This option also saves
embedded images as well as attachments, even if the message does not have attachments listed. Also with this option, one can choose to Save Attachments
for all messages selected in the list at one time.

The File menu includes Page Setup, Print, and Print Preview features. The program inserts the abbreviated message header (From, To, Subject, Date) at the
top of the first page.

 Double clicking the message in the message list will result in the message opening in its own resizable window.

 If one presses the key combination CTRL-F3 (or View | Message Source) the message source will display a separate window.

 The key combination CTRL-F2 (View | Message HTML) will display the HTML source of the message (or the plain text one if there is no HTML).

 NOTE: If one clicks on a single eml or nws file, one can choose the program with which to open the file.  If one browses to "c:\program files\ceml\ceml.exe"
then one can set ceml as the program with which to open the file and then set it as the default program to open eml and nws files.  The command line

"c:\program files\ceml.exe" "%1"

will also open the file where %1 represents the path to a given eml or nws file.  Note that there is a space between the quoted path and the "%1".
FREEWARE
 This software only reads files and does not alter them. However, the author makes no guarantees as to this software and the user, upon downloading and
executing it, does so at his own risk.

 ceml is free. It may not be sold or used for promotional purposes.  DO NOT DISTRIBUTE!  Rather reference this page so that users may acquire the latest
version of the software from its source.

The program is Copyright 2012, 2013 © Stephen L. Cochran, Ph.D. and all rights are reserved under international agreements.

Take care.
Mike
This email was sent from my, iBarstool.
Take care.
Mike
Sent from my iBarstool.  Go Dodgers!
Early to bed, early to rise, keep my iHemorrhoids from being a surprise.

[...]

Hi John,

I thought that the e-mail files for Outlook Express were DBX files and that Outlook could import them.  I am almost certain that earlier versions of Outlook could do so: Outlook 2000 and perhaps 97.  Is this not true?

On 3/30/2017 5:28 PM, John Gregory wrote:

[...]

Pamela Dominguez

That’s one reason I never liked outlook myself.  Too much junk to plough through to get to the email.  Pam.