From: Ron Canazzi <aa2vm@roadrunner.com>
To: main@TechTalk.groups.io
Date: Tuesday, April 18, 2017 1:00
Subject: Location Inquiry For Atomic Watches: Was: Re: [TechTalk] talking wrist watches

Hi Group,

For those who like this 4 alarm atomic talking wrist watch and who are having success with it's updating automatically, I would like to know just where you are living. The reason I ask is because I have had a lot of difficulty getting 3 of my devices to update living here in the Buffalo, New York area. Only one device updates consistently. I read somewhere that people along the east coast of the US have such issues.

Thanks for any response.

On 4/17/2017 8:15 PM, Mike Thomas wrote:

Here's what I found is almost the size of the band. Are you familiar with those spice container bottles which you get at discount stores? They're about 4 inches tall and many have tops that either turn or flip open. I found the band stretches just slightly when placing one of those inside of it. As for the band, I broke one by turning the watch inside out in the band. I couldn't find a band to fit it at the discount stores. It seems to be special, so I don't know if its resizeable or not, but I sort of think your wrist must be larger than one of those spice bottles. The watch I was talking about with the second hand having to stop a second from the number 7, is the atomic watch from blind mice mart. I wouldn't get that one, as it requires sighted help for setup. Blind mice mart also sells that 4 alarm deluxe watch that future aids carries, but the shipping makes it more costly than Future aids. Oh, one other thing about this atomic watch... It gives you talking instructions for how to set the time and date and everything. Pretty nice if you need to manually adjust it because it couldn't see the radio signal. I worried about it not seeing the signal, and did the putting it in the west facing window at night for a while. Then I forgot, and found it set itself even if I was wearing it at night. It will keep time to the second for a week or so anyway. Three pushes on the talk button will tell you if your watch is synced to the radio signal. You can also turn the watch off at anytime you want to stop it by pulling out the time set stem for the conventional watch hands, it saves the battery.
Mike
From: Gene <gsasner@ripco.com>
To: main@TechTalk.groups.io
Date: Tuesday, April 18, 2017 10:04

Since it is a shortwave signal, I wouldn't assume that facing towards the source would improve signal strength. Try different directions. Also, if you have good AM reception in your building, using windows is unnecessary and you can tweak the direction mor without using one and its also more convenient not to use a window. In some buildings, where reception isn't impeded by the construction of the building and interference isn't high from appliances or other causes in the building, the window shouldn't make a difference or it shouldn't be important. But you can try different windows if you don't have good results elsewhere.

I don't have the clock and I don't know specifically what the manual says. I wouldn't be surprised if people on the east coast would have just as good results if they tried various directions. I used to have a short wave and I learned a little about propagation. I see no reason why the east coast would receive a weaker signal. In addition, the signal is largely meant to be used by ships at sea and the east coast would be expected to be within the target areas.

I'm located in the Tampa Bay, Florida area. Let me clarify, its not a 4 alarm watch that is the atomic watch. The atomic watch is a single alarm watch. Can you try putting the watch in a window that faces toward Colorado to see if signal quality improves?

--
They Ask Me If I'm Happy; I say Yes.
They ask: "How Happy are You?"

That's interesting.  I had assumed for years that the signal of WWV was used.

> Since it is a shortwave signal, I wouldn't assume that facing towards the source would improve signal strength.  Try different directions.  Also, if you have good AM reception in your building, using windows is unnecessary and you can tweak the direction mor without using one and its also more convenient not to use a window.  In some buildings, where reception isn't impeded by the construction of the building and interference isn't high from appliances or other causes in the building, the window shouldn't make a difference or it shouldn't be important.  But you can try different windows if you don't have good results elsewhere.

> I don't have the clock and I don't know specifically what the manual says.  I wouldn't be surprised if people on the east coast would have just as good results if they tried various directions.  I used to have a short wave and I learned a little about propagation.  I see no reason why the east coast would receive a weaker signal.  In addition, the signal is largely meant to be used by ships at sea and the east coast would be expected to be within the target areas.

> Gene

Carolyn Arnold

My windows face east, and we're at the bottom of a hill.
Plus about 30 feet from the east-facing windows are woods -
mighty tall trees making for nice view. So this has been
informative to me. I would think that trying to get an
anatomic watch for me would be a futile investment.

Bye for now,

Carolyn

Looking to purchase another talking watch...the last one I
got was from the braille superstore or something like that,
worked great, but took me 8 months to find a store to alter
the size of the band and now one of the band pins has come
out and cannot find a replacement.

Can't beat the low prices of the store, but I guess you
get what you pay for (the bands are very delicate).

Looking to purchse a talking watch for under $35.00 with
either a braclet style band or a leather wrist band.

any ideas on where I can get something like this?

Thanks

keith

--
They Ask Me If I'm Happy; I say Yes.
They ask: "How Happy are You?"
I Say: "I'm as happy as a stow away chimpanzee on a banana
boat!"

Ron Canazzi

Hi Group,

To add to this, the actual frequencies are 60 kHz and 25 kHz.  I used to have a trick by which I could make my Icom 71A receiver receive that VLF frequency.  I could usually receive it weakly in Buffalo, New York.

On 4/18/2017 11:39 AM, Gene wrote:
That's interesting.  I had assumed for years that the signal of WWV was used.

> Since it is a shortwave signal, I wouldn't assume that facing towards the source would improve signal strength.  Try different directions.  Also, if you have good AM reception in your building, using windows is unnecessary and you can tweak the direction mor without using one and its also more convenient not to use a window.  In some buildings, where reception isn't impeded by the construction of the building and interference isn't high from appliances or other causes in the building, the window shouldn't make a difference or it shouldn't be important.  But you can try different windows if you don't have good results elsewhere.

> I don't have the clock and I don't know specifically what the manual says.  I wouldn't be surprised if people on the east coast would have just as good results if they tried various directions.  I used to have a short wave and I learned a little about propagation.  I see no reason why the east coast would receive a weaker signal.  In addition, the signal is largely meant to be used by ships at sea and the east coast would be expected to be within the target areas.

> Gene

Hi, Carolyn,

I don't think the trees will be a problem. If your home is of wood or even brick construction, you will still do well.

I'm in a building with lots of steel. Radio reception is not the best. Even so, I still receive stations west of me quite well.

Even if your watch does not update every day, it will maintain accuracy.

Joe G.

Looking to purchase another talking watch...the last one I
got was from the braille superstore or something like that,
worked great, but took me 8 months to find a store to alter
the size of the band and now one of the band pins has come
out and cannot find a replacement.

Can't beat the low prices of the store, but I guess you
get what you pay for (the bands are very delicate).

Looking to purchse a talking watch for under $35.00 with
either a braclet style band or a leather wrist band.

any ideas on where I can get something like this?

Thanks

keith

--
They Ask Me If I'm Happy; I say Yes.
They ask: "How Happy are You?"
I Say: "I'm as happy as a stow away chimpanzee on a banana
boat!"

Pamela Dominguez

The only thing you could do is try one, and if it doesn't work, take it back. Or send it back. Pam.

Looking to purchase another talking watch...the last one I
got was from the braille superstore or something like that,
worked great, but took me 8 months to find a store to alter
the size of the band and now one of the band pins has come
out and cannot find a replacement.

Can't beat the low prices of the store, but I guess you
get what you pay for (the bands are very delicate).

Looking to purchse a talking watch for under $35.00 with
either a braclet style band or a leather wrist band.

any ideas on where I can get something like this?

Thanks

keith

--
They Ask Me If I'm Happy; I say Yes.
They ask: "How Happy are You?"
I Say: "I'm as happy as a stow away chimpanzee on a banana
boat!"

---
http://www.avg.com

Carolyn Arnold

Right. I probably would not want a watch, but it could be
that eventually, I'd want a clock.

Bye for now,

Carolyn

[...]

There is a very good clock. I'm not sure if it's Cobalt or what; I don't remember. But it has a British female voice. I have had it for years now. That is the one I said a couple of other people I knew had, and couldn't make it work. I had said I thought that whatever it had for an antenna in theirs was broken. But mine has worked for years. Pam.

[...]

I have a dumb phone, properly called a feature phone, not a smart phone.  Since I've had it, it and my computers are the only ways I keep track of time.  My phone automatically synchronizes the time many times when its booting up.  And the alarm is the most convenient I've had, not to mention that if I want, I can set four separate alarms.  There may be various reasons people want actual clocks these days, I don't know, but to me, the old talking clocks and Braille clocks are of no more use, being supplanted by what I consider a much more convenient system.

The only thing you could do is try one, and if it doesn't
work, take it back.  Or send it back.  Pam.

> For those who like this 4 alarm atomic talking wrist watch
and who are having success with it's updating automatically,
I would like to know just where you are living.  The reason
I ask is because I have had a lot of difficulty getting 3 of
my devices to update living here in the Buffalo, New York
area.  Only one device updates consistently.  I read
somewhere that people along the east coast of the US have
such issues.

> Thanks for any response.
>

> On 4/17/2017 8:15 PM, Mike Thomas wrote:
>
> Here's what I found is almost the size of the band.  Are
you familiar with those spice container bottles which you
get at discount stores?  They're about 4 inches tall and
many have tops that either turn or flip open.  I found the
band stretches just slightly when placing one of those
inside of it.  As for the band, I broke one by turning the
watch inside out in the band.  I couldn't find a band to fit
it at the discount stores.  It seems to be special, so I
don't know if its resizeable or not, but I sort of think
your wrist must be larger than one of those spice bottles.
The watch I was talking about with the second hand having to
stop a second from the number 7, is the atomic watch from
blind mice mart.  I wouldn't get that one, as it requires
sighted help for setup.  Blind mice mart also sells that 4
alarm deluxe watch that future aids carries, but the
shipping makes it more costly than Future aids.  Oh, one
other thing about this atomic watch...  It gives you talking
instructions for how to set the time and date and
everything.  Pretty nice if you need to manually adjust it
because it couldn't see the radio signal.  I worried about
it not seeing the signal, and did the putting it in the west
facing window at night for a while.  Then I forgot, and
found it set itself even if I was wearing it at night.  It
will keep time to the second for a week or so anyway.  Three
pushes on the talk button will tell you if your watch is
synced to the radio signal.  You can also turn the watch off
at anytime you want to stop it by pulling out the time set
stem for the conventional watch hands, it saves the battery.
> Mike

---
http://www.avg.com

Pamela Dominguez

I use my phone to check the time if I forgot my watch.  But I don’t find it is as convenient.  I also, don’t want to have my phone everywhere I may need a clock or an alarm.  Pam.

I have a dumb phone, properly called a feature phone, not a smart phone.  Since I've had it, it and my computers are the only ways I keep track of time.  My phone automatically synchronizes the time many times when its booting up.  And the alarm is the most convenient I've had, not to mention that if I want, I can set four separate alarms.  There may be various reasons people want actual clocks these days, I don't know, but to me, the old talking clocks and Braille clocks are of no more use, being supplanted by what I consider a much more convenient system.

The only thing you could do is try one, and if it doesn't
work, take it back.  Or send it back.  Pam.

> For those who like this 4 alarm atomic talking wrist watch
and who are having success with it's updating automatically,
I would like to know just where you are living.  The reason
I ask is because I have had a lot of difficulty getting 3 of
my devices to update living here in the Buffalo, New York
area.  Only one device updates consistently.  I read
somewhere that people along the east coast of the US have
such issues.

> Thanks for any response.
>

> On 4/17/2017 8:15 PM, Mike Thomas wrote:
>
> Here's what I found is almost the size of the band.  Are
you familiar with those spice container bottles which you
get at discount stores?  They're about 4 inches tall and
many have tops that either turn or flip open.  I found the
band stretches just slightly when placing one of those
inside of it.  As for the band, I broke one by turning the
watch inside out in the band.  I couldn't find a band to fit
it at the discount stores.  It seems to be special, so I
don't know if its resizeable or not, but I sort of think
your wrist must be larger than one of those spice bottles.
The watch I was talking about with the second hand having to
stop a second from the number 7, is the atomic watch from
blind mice mart.  I wouldn't get that one, as it requires
sighted help for setup.  Blind mice mart also sells that 4
alarm deluxe watch that future aids carries, but the
shipping makes it more costly than Future aids.  Oh, one
other thing about this atomic watch...  It gives you talking
instructions for how to set the time and date and
everything.  Pretty nice if you need to manually adjust it
because it couldn't see the radio signal.  I worried about
it not seeing the signal, and did the putting it in the west
facing window at night for a while.  Then I forgot, and
found it set itself even if I was wearing it at night.  It
will keep time to the second for a week or so anyway.  Three
pushes on the talk button will tell you if your watch is
synced to the radio signal.  You can also turn the watch off
at anytime you want to stop it by pulling out the time set
stem for the conventional watch hands, it saves the battery.
> Mike

---
http://www.avg.com

It isn't as convenient but I have a Braille watch if I want to use it and I don't want to have duplicate devices that I carry around, especially a device as limited as a talking clock or watch.

Sent: Thursday, April 20, 2017 10:12 AM

> [...]

sighted help for setup.  Blind mice mart also sells that 4
alarm deluxe watch that future aids carries, but the
shipping makes it more costly than Future aids.  Oh, one
other thing about this atomic watch...  It gives you talking
instructions for how to set the time and date and
everything.  Pretty nice if you need to manually adjust it
because it couldn't see the radio signal.  I worried about
it not seeing the signal, and did the putting it in the west
facing window at night for a while.  Then I forgot, and
found it set itself even if I was wearing it at night.  It
will keep time to the second for a week or so anyway.  Three
pushes on the talk button will tell you if your watch is
synced to the radio signal.  You can also turn the watch off
at anytime you want to stop it by pulling out the time set
stem for the conventional watch hands, it saves the battery.

---
http://www.avg.com