Some Of This Week's Top Tech Tidbits

Mike B. <mb69mach1@...>

Hi All,

Here are some of this weeks top tech tidbits.

Top Tech Tidbits

2. This development could significantly enhance employment opportunities for the blind. There is said now to be an accessible screen-sharing alternative for the blind, and the iOS version may be even more accessible than the already-quite-accessible Windows version:
http://accessibleinsights.info/blog/2017/04/19/at-long-last-an-accessible-screen-sharing-solution-zoom/

5. Microsoft Office Lens is a free alternative to the KNFB Reader on the iPhone for reading print:
http://www.rsbc.org.uk/blogs/microsoft-office-lens-review-an-accessible-way-to-read-printed-documents/

6. The RNIB answers the question: "How does the Amazon Echo help people with a vision impairment?"
https://www.rnib.org.uk/nb-online/how-does-amazon-echo-help-disabled-people

7. Here are five videos demonstrating the use of smartphone apps that Henshaws deems to be most useful in compensating for sight loss. The page also lets you sign up for their monthly email announcement list so you can learn about future offerings:
https://www.henshaws.org.uk/apps/

11 A. The APH Talking Typer Program now comes to the iPhone for $4.95:
https://blindbargains.com/bargains.php?m=17047

16.) Victor Reader Stream Version 4.8 is available, bringing with it enhancements to the organization of voice notes, updated time synchronization, fixes and enhancements to NFB Newsline content, additional numeric text entry options and other fixes and improvements:
http://www.humanware.com/stream_support

SUBSCRIBE:
Do you, a friend, or colleague wish to receive Flying Blind, LLC Publications? If so, please use or pass along our CAPTCHA-free sign-up link, which is: http://bit.ly/1irUr9E. You can also subscribe to Flying Blind, LLC Publications on the Flying Blind, LLC Website at: http://www.flying-blind.com or by (SMS) texting "FLYINGBLIND" to 22828. Any of these methods will provide you with an accessibly friendly and secure medium through which you can subscribe to our mailing list. Just enter your name and email address, click send, and begin receiving Flying Blind, LLC Publications. It's that easy.

WEBSITE:
Visit Flying Blind, LLC online at http://www.flying-blind.com.

Take care.
Mike
Sent from my iBarstool.  Go Dodgers!

Marie <magpie.mn@...>

Mike, thanks so much for this post. If nothing else interested me the Office Lens app is a real jewel. I installed it and was able to scan a document and have it read aloud in just minutes. I hear so many people bitch that Microsoft does not try to help with accessibility and this app is proof positive that they are definitely doing something. this is a great app and better yet, it is free.
Just to clarify, there are some very interesting items in the post but I just jumped on the Lens article and was excited over it. In my opinion Microsoft has allowed me to continue using a computer for many years and I am a diehard PC user.
Marie

[...]

Victor

Hi Mike:

I've just installed the Microsoft Office Lens app too. I'm so glad I
don't have to save money for the KNFB Reader now! Microsoft has not
been the greatest at making their products accessible and I hate some
of those Windows updates! However, I give them credit for developing
this free app! Thank you for providing these links to this list.

Victor

On 4/20/17, Marie <magpie.mn@gmail.com> wrote:
[...]

11 B. And David Woodbridge demonstrates it:
https://davidwoodbr.podbean.com/mf/web/m7e3ve/Talking_Typer_for_iOS_demo_Using_VoiceOver.mp3

[...]

Carolyn Arnold

How did you find the ap, and where do you find it?

Bye for now,

Carolyn

[...]

Hi Carolyn,

How I found the app was by going into the App Store from my iPhone, & doing a search for, Office Lens.

Rob <captinlogic@...>

Mike B. <mb69mach1@charter.net> wrote:
How I found the app was by going into the App Store from my iPhone, & doing
a search for, Office Lens.
Too bad this thing is only available for fruit salad users. Leaves out a bunch of us.

Carlos

It seems to be available for Android and Windows 10 as well.

[...]

I just went to Google, and it is available for Android,
Iphone and PC.

I did not try to get it, wanted to check back to see, what
is it that it does now?

Bye for now,

Carolyn

How I found the app was by going into the App Store from
my iPhone, &
doing a search for, Office Lens.
Too bad this thing is only available for fruit salad users.
Leaves out a bunch of us.

Kimsan

How do you read the document after it's been captured?

Respectfully,
Kimsan Song
kimsansong@icloud.com

[...]

Here you go:
Microsoft Office Lens review: An accessible way to read printed documents | RSBC
article
Microsoft Office Lens review: An accessible way to read printed documents
People working with paper and iPads
April 18, 2017

How can you read printed documents if you can’t see them? Our Assistive Technology Officer Alex, reviews Office Lens Reader, a free scanning app, that
can help you access printed documents.

As vision impaired people we will often come across inaccessible print documents. This is very common in classrooms where the teacher will provide the
class with hand-outs but often in the wrong format. It is either too small, or for those who have no sight it is completely inaccessible.

There are scanners and other devices which have Optical Character Recognition (OCR) which extract the writing from an image and convert it into plain text
so a reader can understand it, but often these devices are expensive and not very portable.

Thankfully, app developers are stepping up to change that. Scanning apps are easier and cheaper to create, and being on your phone, extremely portable.

The most popular OCR scanning app is KNFBReader. Until recently it was the only option if you wanted good results, but with a hefty price tag of £99.99,
it is still not an affordable option for many people.

Introducing Microsoft Office Lens

This changed when Microsoft came out with their free
Office Lens app,
which is a scanner that uses your camera to create digital copies of printed documents such as business cards and receipts. Once you take a picture of
a document you can trim , crop and edit the image. What a lot of other people might not know is that it acts very well as an OCR scanner as well.
Just take a picture of some writing on a sign or paper, and have it read back to you using their Immersive Reader.

How to use Office Lens

Although Android has Office Lens, it doesn’t have Immersive Reader (which is needed for documents to be read out loud) unfortunately, so this tutorial
will be on the iPhone and other iOS devices only.

list of 12 items
Once downloaded, open up the app and go through the welcome screen.
Allow access to the camera.
Point the back of the phone towards some text.
If you are using VoiceOver, Frame Guide will help you capture the best shot, it will tell you to move back if you’re too close or go left/right or up/down
to get the whole document in the frame.
Double tap the red capture button at the center bottom of the screen, to take a picture.
When it finishes processing, it will give you the option to edit it, or add another picture, useful if you’re scanning multiple documents such as a book.
You don’t need to edit anything, just tap on the done button to export the picture you’ve just taken.
From the list of apps where you can export, select Immersive Reader.
It will then ask you to log into your Microsoft account, if you have an Outlook.com, Live or Hotmail email you can sign in, if not go and create one.
Then it will scan the image for text.
Once scanned, the written text from the document will now be on your screen, you can read it using VoiceOver by placing a finger on the screen, or there
is a play button to use one of their voices to read the whole document.
Once you are done listening you can tap close, which will give you the option to save it by exporting to another Microsoft app such as Word or OneDrive.
If you don’t want to save it, just tap close again, and it will take you back to the capture screen so you can scan a new document.
list end

And there you have it, a free alternative to KNFBReader. Carry this app in your pocket and whenever you are presented with print text, take a picture and
get it read back to you.
Take care.
Mike
Sent from my iBarstool.  Go Dodgers!

I've just installed the Microsoft Office Lens app too.  I'm so glad I don't have to save money for the KNFB Reader now!  Microsoft has not been the greatest at making their products accessible and I hate some of those Windows updates!  However, I give them credit for developing this free app!  Thank you for providing these links to this list.

Victor

On 4/20/17, Marie <magpie.mn@...> wrote:
> Mike, thanks so much for this post. If nothing else interested me the
> Office Lens app is a real jewel. I installed it and was able to scan a
> document and have it read aloud in just minutes. I hear so many people
> bitch that Microsoft does not try to help with accessibility and this
> app is proof positive that they are definitely doing something. this
> is a great app and better yet, it is free.
> Just to clarify, there are some very interesting items in the post but
> I just jumped on the Lens article and was excited over it. In my
> opinion Microsoft has allowed me to continue using a computer for many
> years and I am a diehard PC user.
> Marie

It says the Android version doesn't include Immersive Reader, but I wonder if it still has the OCR option?  And what about the Windows 10 version?  Having the ability to read the document out loud might be useful, but as long as you can still OCR and read the results using your screen reader, I'm sure users on other platforms can live without it.

I've just installed the Microsoft Office Lens app too.  I'm so glad I don't have to save money for the KNFB Reader now!  Microsoft has not been the greatest at making their products accessible and I hate some of those Windows updates!  However, I give them credit for developing this free app!  Thank you for providing these links to this list.

Victor

On 4/20/17, Marie <magpie.mn@...> wrote:
> Mike, thanks so much for this post. If nothing else interested me the
> Office Lens app is a real jewel. I installed it and was able to scan a
> document and have it read aloud in just minutes. I hear so many people
> bitch that Microsoft does not try to help with accessibility and this
> app is proof positive that they are definitely doing something. this
> is a great app and better yet, it is free.
> Just to clarify, there are some very interesting items in the post but
> I just jumped on the Lens article and was excited over it. In my
> opinion Microsoft has allowed me to continue using a computer for many
> years and I am a diehard PC user.
> Marie

Wow, that sounds pretty good.

I have a question. I just bought a tablet. My husband and I are both having more fun with the thing, doing like Laz suggested, taking it slowly. Eventually, I want to be able to read books on it, and thought that I could do that. Do any of you know how that is accomplished on the Kindle Fire tablet.

I know accessibility is the issue here, but one thing for sure, my husband thinks that the thing has one fine camera on it. I like its lay out and am getting into things, reading and getting out. I used to wonder why anyone wanted one; now I know.

Bye for now,

Carolyn

kimsansong@icloud.com <mailto:kimsansong@icloud.com>

[...]

I saw on Google Android as the top listing, but a 4.5 rating, where the iPhone had a 5.5 rating, and Windows a 4.5.

Bye for now,

Carolyn

It says the Android version doesn't include Immersive Reader, but I wonder if it still has the OCR option? And what about the Windows 10 version? Having the ability to read the document out loud might be useful, but as long as you can still OCR and read the results using your screen reader, I'm sure users on other platforms can live without it.

I've just installed the Microsoft Office Lens app too. I'm so glad I don't have to save money for the KNFB Reader now! Microsoft has not been the greatest at making their products accessible and I hate some of those Windows updates! However, I give them credit for developing this free app! Thank you for providing these links to this list.

Victor

On 4/20/17, Marie <magpie.mn@gmail.com <mailto:magpie.mn@gmail.com> > wrote:
> Mike, thanks so much for this post. If nothing else interested me the
> Office Lens app is a real jewel. I installed it and was able to scan a
> document and have it read aloud in just minutes. I hear so many people
> bitch that Microsoft does not try to help with accessibility and this
> app is proof positive that they are definitely doing something. this
> is a great app and better yet, it is free.
> Just to clarify, there are some very interesting items in the post but
> I just jumped on the Lens article and was excited over it. In my
> opinion Microsoft has allowed me to continue using a computer for many
> years and I am a diehard PC user.
> Marie

Captain Rob, Office Lens from Microsoft has been available for Android
almost forever. It is NOT a new app, it probably just made it to Apple
Valley!

Be sure you have enough room on your device before installing; the size is
about 46MB for Android; not an issue if your device has at least 32GB or
more storage space.

Sincerely,
Olusegun
Denver, Colorado

Chief Carlos, I believe there are a number of folks on the Android mailing
list willing and dealing with Office Lens on a regular basis. It has been
on Android for well over a year if memory serves. I don't recall reading
too many complaints about Office Lens on the Android mailing list, but if I
do stumble on any, I'll share it in this space!

Sincerely,
Olusegun
Denver, Colorado