New RCA Galileo, my thoughts

Jeremy <icu8it2@...>

Hey all,
First let me just say that I do not intend what so ever to start any arguments as to what platforms might be better, but my experiences so far with this new tablet haven't been good at all. It was my hopes that perhaps updating tb might fix some of the issues I'm seeing so far, but it hasn't done much for being able to navigate around this thing.

Beyond that, I'm hoping that perhaps something is faulty in the hardware, but either way, here is what I'm having issues with, so perhaps someone with more experience can help.

As soon as I got the tablet this morning, I followed the instructions here for starting tb. I'm familiar with using this two-finger gesture, as I'd used it before on other devices, but I unfortunately wasn't able to get it to work right away. I ended up locking and unlocking the screen, as was mentioned here previously, using one finger to flick up and then using the two-finger gesture again. After a little bit tb came up talking and took me to the tutorial thing as I'd expected.

It was here that I started having a lot of problems. First, the double tap gesture seems to be very difficult to register. From what I can tell so far, the other gestures such as flicking aren't as bad, but no matter how slow or fast I try to double tap, it always seems to register it as me just touching the item once. I noticed that it's a little more reliable if I keep one finger on the item I want to activate and then use another finger to double tap, but this isn't always consistent either.

Another real gripe was actually making it through the setup process. One area specifically that I got stuck in was the one where you can select your wireless AP you wish to connect to. I'm not quite certain if it was the flick gesture screwing up, an issue with that part of the interface, or whatever, but I ended up in an area where the name of an AP here close to me was being repeated over and over and over. As soon as I'd use the arrow keys on the keyboard or a flick right gesture to try to jump to the name of my AP, I would get the sound from tb that something else had been refocused and it would jump back to somewhere else on the screen. Once I'd made it to the name of my AP, I tried to quickly use the double tap to activate it, but once again, it failed. I ended up having to use a mixture of the arrow keys, enter key, touching the screen to find stuff that I couldn't focus on with the keyboard and the flick gestures to make it through.

Once I'd made it through setting up the tablet, I was able to go into the apps icon on the bottom and locate the play store icon. Through using explore by touch, flicking and the keyboard, I was able to locate the search button and do a search for talkback. I'd also been somewhat familiar with this process from older devices, so I already knew what to expect as to installing/updating it. Once I'd updated it, I noticed that the navigation sounds had changed, but I'm still having major issues with actually moving around through the UI. This is where I'm hoping that maybe something is jacked up with the screen, as to why it's hard to register a double tap, but if not, I'm not quite sure I'd call this usable at all. I'll also note that in the little I've been able to play with higher end devices, such as the s7, I didn't seem to have issues with gestures like this.

For anyone else who might be thinking of purchasing this, please keep in mind that it doesn't seem to have dedicated hardware buttons for back and home. For those familiar with some of the phones that actually have a home button you can feel, this makes it quite easy to re orientate yourself back to the home screen if you're stuck or whatever. While the tablet does have buttons going along the very bottom of the screen, back, overview, home, volume down and volume up, it appears to be necessary to use the double tap gesture to activate these, so that means it's stupidly hard to get them to work.

I then decided to locate the settings app and see if there were any preferences I might could change to help, which leads me to my final problem. I checked through everything I could find, accessibility, checked the TTS, looked at the TTS's speech rate, whent back a bit and turned down the brightness on the screen, pressed back on the keyboard to go back into the main settings again and poof, I completely lost speech. It didn't appear that tb had crashed, as I still had the navigation sounds that tb used when I used flick or the keyboard to move, but the speech from the default google TTS that comes loaded was completely gone. I tried to lock and unlock the screen which didn't work, so I ended up holding down the power button for like 30 seconds and everything was shut down. Luckily for me, when the device came back up, I had speech again. I've thought about purchasing another TTS, as one reason I tried it was for being able to use eloquence, but I'm honestly a little worried with what I see so far from what I assume is crappy hardware.

I'd really hoped that the 80 bucks I put into purchasing this little beasty would be enough to give me an idea if a higher end device such as a phone would be something I'd like changing to, but so far as I can tell, I'm not pleased at all.
It was here that I was hoping that perhaps it's just me, something screwy with the hardware that could be fixed, or that perhaps someone else had ideas on stuff I could try.
Hope everyone is well.
Take care.

Josh Kennedy

you will double tap more successfully if you use a very light touch. I hardly ever use my tablet's touch screen though. i use the talkback keyboard commands some of which i changed because my keyboard was not registering them so i just changed them to ones that work and i'm happy.

On 4/26/2017 4:09 PM, Jeremy wrote:
Hey all,
First let me just say that I do not intend what so ever to start any arguments as to what platforms might be better, but my experiences so far with this new tablet haven't been good at all. It was my hopes that perhaps updating tb might fix some of the issues I'm seeing so far, but it hasn't done much for being able to navigate around this thing.

Beyond that, I'm hoping that perhaps something is faulty in the hardware, but either way, here is what I'm having issues with, so perhaps someone with more experience can help.

As soon as I got the tablet this morning, I followed the instructions here for starting tb. I'm familiar with using this two-finger gesture, as I'd used it before on other devices, but I unfortunately wasn't able to get it to work right away. I ended up locking and unlocking the screen, as was mentioned here previously, using one finger to flick up and then using the two-finger gesture again. After a little bit tb came up talking and took me to the tutorial thing as I'd expected.

It was here that I started having a lot of problems. First, the double tap gesture seems to be very difficult to register. From what I can tell so far, the other gestures such as flicking aren't as bad, but no matter how slow or fast I try to double tap, it always seems to register it as me just touching the item once. I noticed that it's a little more reliable if I keep one finger on the item I want to activate and then use another finger to double tap, but this isn't always consistent either.

Another real gripe was actually making it through the setup process. One area specifically that I got stuck in was the one where you can select your wireless AP you wish to connect to. I'm not quite certain if it was the flick gesture screwing up, an issue with that part of the interface, or whatever, but I ended up in an area where the name of an AP here close to me was being repeated over and over and over. As soon as I'd use the arrow keys on the keyboard or a flick right gesture to try to jump to the name of my AP, I would get the sound from tb that something else had been refocused and it would jump back to somewhere else on the screen. Once I'd made it to the name of my AP, I tried to quickly use the double tap to activate it, but once again, it failed. I ended up having to use a mixture of the arrow keys, enter key, touching the screen to find stuff that I couldn't focus on with the keyboard and the flick gestures to make it through.

Once I'd made it through setting up the tablet, I was able to go into the apps icon on the bottom and locate the play store icon. Through using explore by touch, flicking and the keyboard, I was able to locate the search button and do a search for talkback. I'd also been somewhat familiar with this process from older devices, so I already knew what to expect as to installing/updating it. Once I'd updated it, I noticed that the navigation sounds had changed, but I'm still having major issues with actually moving around through the UI. This is where I'm hoping that maybe something is jacked up with the screen, as to why it's hard to register a double tap, but if not, I'm not quite sure I'd call this usable at all. I'll also note that in the little I've been able to play with higher end devices, such as the s7, I didn't seem to have issues with gestures like this.

For anyone else who might be thinking of purchasing this, please keep in mind that it doesn't seem to have dedicated hardware buttons for back and home. For those familiar with some of the phones that actually have a home button you can feel, this makes it quite easy to re orientate yourself back to the home screen if you're stuck or whatever. While the tablet does have buttons going along the very bottom of the screen, back, overview, home, volume down and volume up, it appears to be necessary to use the double tap gesture to activate these, so that means it's stupidly hard to get them to work.

I then decided to locate the settings app and see if there were any preferences I might could change to help, which leads me to my final problem. I checked through everything I could find, accessibility, checked the TTS, looked at the TTS's speech rate, whent back a bit and turned down the brightness on the screen, pressed back on the keyboard to go back into the main settings again and poof, I completely lost speech. It didn't appear that tb had crashed, as I still had the navigation sounds that tb used when I used flick or the keyboard to move, but the speech from the default google TTS that comes loaded was completely gone. I tried to lock and unlock the screen which didn't work, so I ended up holding down the power button for like 30 seconds and everything was shut down. Luckily for me, when the device came back up, I had speech again. I've thought about purchasing another TTS, as one reason I tried it was for being able to use eloquence, but I'm honestly a little worried with what I see so far from what I assume is crappy hardware.

I'd really hoped that the 80 bucks I put into purchasing this little beasty would be enough to give me an idea if a higher end device such as a phone would be something I'd like changing to, but so far as I can tell, I'm not pleased at all.
It was here that I was hoping that perhaps it's just me, something screwy with the hardware that could be fixed, or that perhaps someone else had ideas on stuff I could try.
Hope everyone is well.
Take care.

Josh Kennedy

if you use the keyboard, the escape key is back, and home is f1 and settings is f3.

Hey all,

Hope everyone is well.
Take care.

Jeremy <icu8it2@...>

Ah, yeah, I'd figured out the escape key for back, but thanks for the others. Either way, I still find it just a little disheartening that the tb touchscreen gestures seem so problematic and I might have to rework some of the tb keyboard commands as to make things work better. If you mostly use the keyboard on your tablet, how do you find the accessibility if you detach it and actually use it without?

I'm still going to play with it quite a bit, but I'm really hoping that a higher end device wont have some of these same issues with the touchscreen, as that's sort of a big deal on a touchscreen driven OS? I'll also find it really strange if using a lighter tap has a higher success rate on registering, as I didn't think the hardware supported it, but I'll also try it out and write back.
Thanks.
Take care.

On 4/26/2017 3:13 PM, Josh Kennedy wrote:
if you use the keyboard, the escape key is back, and home is f1 and settings is f3.

Hey all,

Hope everyone is well.
Take care.

Jeremy <icu8it2@...>

As an update to my previous message and as was suggested, I tried to change the amount of force I used when registering taps on the touchscreen. As I mentioned previously, most of the other gestures such as flicking with either one or two fingers seems to be fine, no matter how hard you do it, but it makes absolutely no difference in the success rate of getting a double tap to register. I just now tried to open the GMail app on the homescreen and after about 30 or so tries to get it to work, I ended up placing one finger on the icon and using my next finger to try and double tap. While even this doesn't always work, I finally got it to register after I'd very quickly tapped the display three or four times.

My next thought to try is going to be having my wife attempt to play some game or another on the device, something that uses the double tap gesture to see if the issue is specific to tb and the hardware, but I'm honestly not sure at this point.
Tc.

On 4/26/2017 3:27 PM, jeremy wrote:
Ah, yeah, I'd figured out the escape key for back, but thanks for the others. Either way, I still find it just a little disheartening that the tb touchscreen gestures seem so problematic and I might have to rework some of the tb keyboard commands as to make things work better. If you mostly use the keyboard on your tablet, how do you find the accessibility if you detach it and actually use it without?

I'm still going to play with it quite a bit, but I'm really hoping that a higher end device wont have some of these same issues with the touchscreen, as that's sort of a big deal on a touchscreen driven OS? I'll also find it really strange if using a lighter tap has a higher success rate on registering, as I didn't think the hardware supported it, but I'll also try it out and write back.
Thanks.
Take care.

Hey all,

Hope everyone is well.
Take care.

Josh Kennedy

the accessibility without the keyboard is ok. but i mostly detach it for doing things like reading a book or watching a movie or listening to music. stuff that does not require a lot of typing or moving around.

On 4/26/2017 4:27 PM, Jeremy wrote:

Thanks.
Take care.

Hey all,

Hope everyone is well.
Take care.

Carolyn Arnold

Thank you for that information. Could you send me any tablet specific key commands to:

4carolyna@windstream.net

Thanks.

Bye for now,

Carolyn

-----Original Message-----
From: main@TechTalk.groups.io [mailto:main@TechTalk.groups.io] On Behalf Of Josh Kennedy
Sent: Wednesday, April 26, 2017 4:13 PM
To: main@TechTalk.groups.io
Subject: Re: [TechTalk] New RCA Galileo, my thoughts

Hey all,
First let me just say that I do not intend what so ever to start any
arguments as to what platforms might be better, but my experiences so
far with this new tablet haven't been good at all. It was my hopes
that perhaps updating tb might fix some of the issues I'm seeing so
far, but it hasn't done much for being able to navigate around this
thing.

Beyond that, I'm hoping that perhaps something is faulty in the
hardware, but either way, here is what I'm having issues with, so
perhaps someone with more experience can help.

As soon as I got the tablet this morning, I followed the instructions
here for starting tb. I'm familiar with using this two-finger gesture,
as I'd used it before on other devices, but I unfortunately wasn't
able to get it to work right away. I ended up locking and unlocking
the screen, as was mentioned here previously, using one finger to
flick up and then using the two-finger gesture again. After a little
bit tb came up talking and took me to the tutorial thing as I'd expected.

It was here that I started having a lot of problems. First, the double
tap gesture seems to be very difficult to register. From what I can
tell so far, the other gestures such as flicking aren't as bad, but no
matter how slow or fast I try to double tap, it always seems to
register it as me just touching the item once. I noticed that it's a
little more reliable if I keep one finger on the item I want to
activate and then use another finger to double tap, but this isn't
always consistent either.

Another real gripe was actually making it through the setup process.
One area specifically that I got stuck in was the one where you can
select your wireless AP you wish to connect to. I'm not quite certain
if it was the flick gesture screwing up, an issue with that part of
the interface, or whatever, but I ended up in an area where the name
of an AP here close to me was being repeated over and over and over.
As soon as I'd use the arrow keys on the keyboard or a flick right
gesture to try to jump to the name of my AP, I would get the sound
from tb that something else had been refocused and it would jump back
to somewhere else on the screen. Once I'd made it to the name of my
AP, I tried to quickly use the double tap to activate it, but once
again, it failed. I ended up having to use a mixture of the arrow
keys, enter key, touching the screen to find stuff that I couldn't
focus on with the keyboard and the flick gestures to make it through.

Once I'd made it through setting up the tablet, I was able to go into
the apps icon on the bottom and locate the play store icon. Through
using explore by touch, flicking and the keyboard, I was able to
locate the search button and do a search for talkback. I'd also been
somewhat familiar with this process from older devices, so I already
knew what to expect as to installing/updating it. Once I'd updated it,
I noticed that the navigation sounds had changed, but I'm still having
major issues with actually moving around through the UI. This is where
I'm hoping that maybe something is jacked up with the screen, as to
why it's hard to register a double tap, but if not, I'm not quite sure
I'd call this usable at all. I'll also note that in the little I've
been able to play with higher end devices, such as the s7, I didn't
seem to have issues with gestures like this.

For anyone else who might be thinking of purchasing this, please keep
in mind that it doesn't seem to have dedicated hardware buttons for
back and home. For those familiar with some of the phones that
actually have a home button you can feel, this makes it quite easy to
re orientate yourself back to the home screen if you're stuck or
whatever. While the tablet does have buttons going along the very
bottom of the screen, back, overview, home, volume down and volume up,
it appears to be necessary to use the double tap gesture to activate
these, so that means it's stupidly hard to get them to work.

I then decided to locate the settings app and see if there were any
preferences I might could change to help, which leads me to my final
problem. I checked through everything I could find, accessibility,
checked the TTS, looked at the TTS's speech rate, whent back a bit and
turned down the brightness on the screen, pressed back on the keyboard
to go back into the main settings again and poof, I completely lost
speech. It didn't appear that tb had crashed, as I still had the
navigation sounds that tb used when I used flick or the keyboard to
move, but the speech from the default google TTS that comes loaded was
completely gone. I tried to lock and unlock the screen which didn't
work, so I ended up holding down the power button for like 30 seconds
and everything was shut down. Luckily for me, when the device came
back up, I had speech again. I've thought about purchasing another
TTS, as one reason I tried it was for being able to use eloquence, but
I'm honestly a little worried with what I see so far from what I
assume is crappy hardware.

I'd really hoped that the 80 bucks I put into purchasing this little
beasty would be enough to give me an idea if a higher end device such
as a phone would be something I'd like changing to, but so far as I
can tell, I'm not pleased at all.
It was here that I was hoping that perhaps it's just me, something
screwy with the hardware that could be fixed, or that perhaps someone
else had ideas on stuff I could try.
Hope everyone is well.
Take care.

Josh Kennedy

two useful commands are control alt r for recent screens, and control alt n for notification screen. to review the screen press alt plus up down left or right arrow keys. to activate an item hit alt enter. to long press, hit alt shift enter.

Sent with AquaMail for Android
http://www.aqua-mail.com

On April 26, 2017 5:19:30 PM "Carolyn Arnold" <4carolyna@windstream.net> wrote:

Thank you for that information. Could you send me any tablet specific key commands to:

4carolyna@windstream.net

Thanks.

Bye for now,

Carolyn

From: main@TechTalk.groups.io [mailto:main@TechTalk.groups.io] On Behalf Of Josh Kennedy

Hey all,
far with this new tablet haven't been good at all. It was my hopes
that perhaps updating tb might fix some of the issues I'm seeing so
far, but it hasn't done much for being able to navigate around this
thing.

as I'd used it before on other devices, but I unfortunately wasn't
able to get it to work right away. I ended up locking and unlocking
the screen, as was mentioned here previously, using one finger to
flick up and then using the two-finger gesture again. After a little
bit tb came up talking and took me to the tutorial thing as I'd expected.

tap gesture seems to be very difficult to register. From what I can
tell so far, the other gestures such as flicking aren't as bad, but no
matter how slow or fast I try to double tap, it always seems to
register it as me just touching the item once. I noticed that it's a
little more reliable if I keep one finger on the item I want to
activate and then use another finger to double tap, but this isn't

select your wireless AP you wish to connect to. I'm not quite certain
if it was the flick gesture screwing up, an issue with that part of
the interface, or whatever, but I ended up in an area where the name
of an AP here close to me was being repeated over and over and over.
As soon as I'd use the arrow keys on the keyboard or a flick right
gesture to try to jump to the name of my AP, I would get the sound
from tb that something else had been refocused and it would jump back
to somewhere else on the screen. Once I'd made it to the name of my
AP, I tried to quickly use the double tap to activate it, but once
again, it failed. I ended up having to use a mixture of the arrow
keys, enter key, touching the screen to find stuff that I couldn't
focus on with the keyboard and the flick gestures to make it through.

using explore by touch, flicking and the keyboard, I was able to
locate the search button and do a search for talkback. I'd also been
somewhat familiar with this process from older devices, so I already
knew what to expect as to installing/updating it. Once I'd updated it,
I noticed that the navigation sounds had changed, but I'm still having
major issues with actually moving around through the UI. This is where
I'm hoping that maybe something is jacked up with the screen, as to
why it's hard to register a double tap, but if not, I'm not quite sure
I'd call this usable at all. I'll also note that in the little I've
been able to play with higher end devices, such as the s7, I didn't
seem to have issues with gestures like this.

For anyone else who might be thinking of purchasing this, please keep
in mind that it doesn't seem to have dedicated hardware buttons for
back and home. For those familiar with some of the phones that
actually have a home button you can feel, this makes it quite easy to
re orientate yourself back to the home screen if you're stuck or
bottom of the screen, back, overview, home, volume down and volume up,
it appears to be necessary to use the double tap gesture to activate
these, so that means it's stupidly hard to get them to work.

and everything was shut down. Luckily for me, when the device came
back up, I had speech again. I've thought about purchasing another
TTS, as one reason I tried it was for being able to use eloquence, but
I'm honestly a little worried with what I see so far from what I
assume is crappy hardware.

beasty would be enough to give me an idea if a higher end device such
as a phone would be something I'd like changing to, but so far as I
Hope everyone is well.
Take care.

Carolyn Arnold

That makes sense. Do you read books on the RCA?

Bye for now,

Carolyn

Sent: Wednesday, April 26, 2017 5:08 PM

the accessibility without the keyboard is ok. but i mostly detach it for doing things like reading a book or watching a movie or listening to music. stuff that does not require a lot of typing or moving around.

Ah, yeah, I'd figured out the escape key for back, but thanks for the
others. Either way, I still find it just a little disheartening that
the tb touchscreen gestures seem so problematic and I might have to
rework some of the tb keyboard commands as to make things work better.
If you mostly use the keyboard on your tablet, how do you find the
accessibility if you detach it and actually use it without?

I'm still going to play with it quite a bit, but I'm really hoping
that a higher end device wont have some of these same issues with the
touchscreen, as that's sort of a big deal on a touchscreen driven OS?
I'll also find it really strange if using a lighter tap has a higher
success rate on registering, as I didn't think the hardware supported
it, but I'll also try it out and write back.
Thanks.
Take care.

if you use the keyboard, the escape key is back, and home is f1 and
settings is f3.

Hey all,
arguments as to what platforms might be better, but my experiences
so far with this new tablet haven't been good at all. It was my
hopes that perhaps updating tb might fix some of the issues I'm
seeing so far, but it hasn't done much for being able to navigate
around this thing.

As soon as I got the tablet this morning, I followed the
instructions here for starting tb. I'm familiar with using this
two-finger gesture, as I'd used it before on other devices, but I
unfortunately wasn't able to get it to work right away. I ended up
locking and unlocking the screen, as was mentioned here previously,
using one finger to flick up and then using the two-finger gesture
again. After a little bit tb came up talking and took me to the
tutorial thing as I'd expected.

It was here that I started having a lot of problems. First, the
double tap gesture seems to be very difficult to register. From what
I can tell so far, the other gestures such as flicking aren't as
bad, but no matter how slow or fast I try to double tap, it always
seems to register it as me just touching the item once. I noticed
that it's a little more reliable if I keep one finger on the item I
want to activate and then use another finger to double tap, but this
isn't always consistent either.

select your wireless AP you wish to connect to. I'm not quite
certain if it was the flick gesture screwing up, an issue with that
part of the interface, or whatever, but I ended up in an area where
the name of an AP here close to me was being repeated over and over
and over. As soon as I'd use the arrow keys on the keyboard or a
flick right gesture to try to jump to the name of my AP, I would get
the sound from tb that something else had been refocused and it
would jump back to somewhere else on the screen. Once I'd made it to
the name of my AP, I tried to quickly use the double tap to activate
it, but once again, it failed. I ended up having to use a mixture of
the arrow keys, enter key, touching the screen to find stuff that I
couldn't focus on with the keyboard and the flick gestures to make
it through.

Once I'd made it through setting up the tablet, I was able to go
into the apps icon on the bottom and locate the play store icon.
Through using explore by touch, flicking and the keyboard, I was
able to locate the search button and do a search for talkback. I'd
also been somewhat familiar with this process from older devices, so
I already knew what to expect as to installing/updating it. Once I'd
updated it, I noticed that the navigation sounds had changed, but
I'm still having major issues with actually moving around through
the UI. This is where I'm hoping that maybe something is jacked up
with the screen, as to why it's hard to register a double tap, but
if not, I'm not quite sure I'd call this usable at all. I'll also
note that in the little I've been able to play with higher end
devices, such as the s7, I didn't seem to have issues with gestures
like this.

For anyone else who might be thinking of purchasing this, please
keep in mind that it doesn't seem to have dedicated hardware buttons
for back and home. For those familiar with some of the phones that
actually have a home button you can feel, this makes it quite easy
to re orientate yourself back to the home screen if you're stuck or
bottom of the screen, back, overview, home, volume down and volume
up, it appears to be necessary to use the double tap gesture to
activate these, so that means it's stupidly hard to get them to work.

checked the TTS, looked at the TTS's speech rate, whent back a bit
and turned down the brightness on the screen, pressed back on the
keyboard to go back into the main settings again and poof, I
completely lost speech. It didn't appear that tb had crashed, as I
still had the navigation sounds that tb used when I used flick or
the keyboard to move, but the speech from the default google TTS
that comes loaded was completely gone. I tried to lock and unlock
the screen which didn't work, so I ended up holding down the power
button for like 30 seconds and everything was shut down. Luckily for
me, when the device came back up, I had speech again. I've thought
about purchasing another TTS, as one reason I tried it was for being
able to use eloquence, but I'm honestly a little worried with what I
see so far from what I assume is crappy hardware.

beasty would be enough to give me an idea if a higher end device
such as a phone would be something I'd like changing to, but so far
as I can tell, I'm not pleased at all.
screwy with the hardware that could be fixed, or that perhaps
someone else had ideas on stuff I could try.
Hope everyone is well.
Take care.

Carolyn Arnold

The first thing Jim told me, when starting to use the Kindle was that I did not have to work hard at it, and I do not. I have a whole lot to learn yet, but easier is better than firmer with tapping and the two-finger swish to bring a screen up.

Bye for now,

Carolyn

From: main@TechTalk.groups.io [mailto:main@TechTalk.groups.io] On Behalf Of Jeremy
Sent: Wednesday, April 26, 2017 4:54 PM

As an update to my previous message and as was suggested, I tried to change the amount of force I used when registering taps on the touchscreen. As I mentioned previously, most of the other gestures such as flicking with either one or two fingers seems to be fine, no matter how hard you do it, but it makes absolutely no difference in the success rate of getting a double tap to register. I just now tried to open the GMail app on the homescreen and after about 30 or so tries to get it to work, I ended up placing one finger on the icon and using my next finger to try and double tap. While even this doesn't always work, I finally got it to register after I'd very quickly tapped the display three or four times.

My next thought to try is going to be having my wife attempt to play some game or another on the device, something that uses the double tap gesture to see if the issue is specific to tb and the hardware, but I'm honestly not sure at this point.
Tc.

On 4/26/2017 3:27 PM, jeremy wrote:

Thanks.
Take care.

settings is f3.

Hey all,
around this thing.

it through.

like this.

Hope everyone is well.
Take care.

Carolyn Arnold

One question - what is Long Press, please?

Bye for now,

Carolyn

[mailto:main@TechTalk.groups.io] On Behalf Of Josh Kennedy
Sent: Wednesday, April 26, 2017 5:26 PM

two useful commands are control alt r for recent screens,
and control alt n for notification screen. to review the
screen press alt plus up down left or right arrow keys. to
activate an item hit alt enter. to long press, hit alt
shift enter.

On April 26, 2017 5:19:30 PM "Carolyn Arnold"
<4carolyna@windstream.net> wrote:

Thank you for that information. Could you send me any
tablet specific
key commands to:

4carolyna@windstream.net

Thanks.

Bye for now,

Carolyn

[mailto:main@TechTalk.groups.io] On
Behalf Of Josh Kennedy

if you use the keyboard, the escape key is back, and home
is f1 and
settings is f3.

Hey all,
First let me just say that I do not intend what so ever
to start any
arguments as to what platforms might be better, but my
experiences
so far with this new tablet haven't been good at all. It
was my hopes
that perhaps updating tb might fix some of the issues I'm
seeing so
far, but it hasn't done much for being able to navigate
around this
thing.

Beyond that, I'm hoping that perhaps something is faulty
in the
hardware, but either way, here is what I'm having issues
with, so

instructions
here for starting tb. I'm familiar with using this
two-finger
gesture, as I'd used it before on other devices, but I
unfortunately
wasn't able to get it to work right away. I ended up
locking and
unlocking the screen, as was mentioned here previously,
using one
finger to flick up and then using the two-finger gesture
again. After
a little bit tb came up talking and took me to the

It was here that I started having a lot of problems.
First, the
double tap gesture seems to be very difficult to
register. From what
I can tell so far, the other gestures such as flicking
aren't as bad,
but no matter how slow or fast I try to double tap, it
always seems
to register it as me just touching the item once. I
noticed that it's
a little more reliable if I keep one finger on the item I
want to
activate and then use another finger to double tap, but
this isn't

Another real gripe was actually making it through the
setup process.
One area specifically that I got stuck in was the one
where you can
select your wireless AP you wish to connect to. I'm not
quite certain
if it was the flick gesture screwing up, an issue with
that part of
the interface, or whatever, but I ended up in an area
where the name
of an AP here close to me was being repeated over and
over and over.
As soon as I'd use the arrow keys on the keyboard or a
flick right
gesture to try to jump to the name of my AP, I would get
the sound
from tb that something else had been refocused and it
would jump back
to somewhere else on the screen. Once I'd made it to the
name of my
AP, I tried to quickly use the double tap to activate it,
but once
again, it failed. I ended up having to use a mixture of
the arrow
keys, enter key, touching the screen to find stuff that I
couldn't
focus on with the keyboard and the flick gestures to make
it through.

Once I'd made it through setting up the tablet, I was
able to go into
the apps icon on the bottom and locate the play store
icon. Through
using explore by touch, flicking and the keyboard, I was
able to
locate the search button and do a search for talkback.
I'd also been
somewhat familiar with this process from older devices,
so I already
knew what to expect as to installing/updating it. Once
I'd updated
it, I noticed that the navigation sounds had changed, but
I'm still
having major issues with actually moving around through
the UI. This
is where I'm hoping that maybe something is jacked up
with the
screen, as to why it's hard to register a double tap, but
if not, I'm
not quite sure I'd call this usable at all. I'll also
note that in
the little I've been able to play with higher end
devices, such as
the s7, I didn't seem to have issues with gestures like
this.

For anyone else who might be thinking of purchasing this,
please keep
in mind that it doesn't seem to have dedicated hardware
buttons for
back and home. For those familiar with some of the phones
that
actually have a home button you can feel, this makes it
quite easy to
re orientate yourself back to the home screen if you're
stuck or
whatever. While the tablet does have buttons going along
the very
bottom of the screen, back, overview, home, volume down
and volume
up, it appears to be necessary to use the double tap
gesture to
activate these, so that means it's stupidly hard to get
them to work.

I then decided to locate the settings app and see if
there were any
preferences I might could change to help, which leads me
to my final
problem. I checked through everything I could find,
accessibility,
checked the TTS, looked at the TTS's speech rate, whent
back a bit
and turned down the brightness on the screen, pressed
back on the
keyboard to go back into the main settings again and
poof, I
completely lost speech. It didn't appear that tb had
crashed, as I
still had the navigation sounds that tb used when I used
flick or the
keyboard to move, but the speech from the default google
TTS that
comes loaded was completely gone. I tried to lock and
unlock the
screen which didn't work, so I ended up holding down the
power button
for like 30 seconds and everything was shut down. Luckily
for me,
when the device came back up, I had speech again. I've
thought about
purchasing another TTS, as one reason I tried it was for
being able
to use eloquence, but I'm honestly a little worried with
what I see
so far from what I assume is crappy hardware.

I'd really hoped that the 80 bucks I put into purchasing
this little
beasty would be enough to give me an idea if a higher end
device such
as a phone would be something I'd like changing to, but
so far as I
It was here that I was hoping that perhaps it's just me,
something
screwy with the hardware that could be fixed, or that
perhaps someone
Hope everyone is well.
Take care.

Josh Kennedy

yes i do. i read books with the kindle app and the bard mobile app.

On April 26, 2017 5:27:41 PM "Carolyn Arnold" <4carolyna@windstream.net> wrote:

That makes sense. Do you read books on the RCA?

Bye for now,

Carolyn

Sent: Wednesday, April 26, 2017 5:08 PM

Thanks.
Take care.

settings is f3.

Hey all,
around this thing.

it through.

like this.

Hope everyone is well.
Take care.

Josh Kennedy

long press is when you double tap and then on the second tap you hold your finger on the item until a context menu pops up with extra options for that item.

On April 26, 2017 5:36:03 PM "Carolyn Arnold" <4carolyna@windstream.net> wrote:

One question - what is Long Press, please?

Bye for now,

Carolyn

[mailto:main@TechTalk.groups.io] On Behalf Of Josh Kennedy
Sent: Wednesday, April 26, 2017 5:26 PM

two useful commands are control alt r for recent screens,
and control alt n for notification screen. to review the
screen press alt plus up down left or right arrow keys. to
activate an item hit alt enter. to long press, hit alt
shift enter.

On April 26, 2017 5:19:30 PM "Carolyn Arnold"
<4carolyna@windstream.net> wrote:

Thank you for that information. Could you send me any
tablet specific
key commands to:

4carolyna@windstream.net

Thanks.

Bye for now,

Carolyn

[mailto:main@TechTalk.groups.io] On
Behalf Of Josh Kennedy

if you use the keyboard, the escape key is back, and home
is f1 and
settings is f3.

Hey all,
First let me just say that I do not intend what so ever
to start any
arguments as to what platforms might be better, but my
experiences
so far with this new tablet haven't been good at all. It
was my hopes
that perhaps updating tb might fix some of the issues I'm
seeing so
far, but it hasn't done much for being able to navigate
around this
thing.

Beyond that, I'm hoping that perhaps something is faulty
in the
hardware, but either way, here is what I'm having issues
with, so

instructions
here for starting tb. I'm familiar with using this
two-finger
gesture, as I'd used it before on other devices, but I
unfortunately
wasn't able to get it to work right away. I ended up
locking and
unlocking the screen, as was mentioned here previously,
using one
finger to flick up and then using the two-finger gesture
again. After
a little bit tb came up talking and took me to the

It was here that I started having a lot of problems.
First, the
double tap gesture seems to be very difficult to
register. From what
I can tell so far, the other gestures such as flicking
aren't as bad,
but no matter how slow or fast I try to double tap, it
always seems
to register it as me just touching the item once. I
noticed that it's
a little more reliable if I keep one finger on the item I
want to
activate and then use another finger to double tap, but
this isn't

Another real gripe was actually making it through the
setup process.
One area specifically that I got stuck in was the one
where you can
select your wireless AP you wish to connect to. I'm not
quite certain
if it was the flick gesture screwing up, an issue with
that part of
the interface, or whatever, but I ended up in an area
where the name
of an AP here close to me was being repeated over and
over and over.
As soon as I'd use the arrow keys on the keyboard or a
flick right
gesture to try to jump to the name of my AP, I would get
the sound
from tb that something else had been refocused and it
would jump back
to somewhere else on the screen. Once I'd made it to the
name of my
AP, I tried to quickly use the double tap to activate it,
but once
again, it failed. I ended up having to use a mixture of
the arrow
keys, enter key, touching the screen to find stuff that I
couldn't
focus on with the keyboard and the flick gestures to make
it through.

Once I'd made it through setting up the tablet, I was
able to go into
the apps icon on the bottom and locate the play store
icon. Through
using explore by touch, flicking and the keyboard, I was
able to
locate the search button and do a search for talkback.
I'd also been
somewhat familiar with this process from older devices,
so I already
knew what to expect as to installing/updating it. Once
I'd updated
it, I noticed that the navigation sounds had changed, but
I'm still
having major issues with actually moving around through
the UI. This
is where I'm hoping that maybe something is jacked up
with the
screen, as to why it's hard to register a double tap, but
if not, I'm
not quite sure I'd call this usable at all. I'll also
note that in
the little I've been able to play with higher end
devices, such as
the s7, I didn't seem to have issues with gestures like
this.

For anyone else who might be thinking of purchasing this,
please keep
in mind that it doesn't seem to have dedicated hardware
buttons for
back and home. For those familiar with some of the phones
that
actually have a home button you can feel, this makes it
quite easy to
re orientate yourself back to the home screen if you're
stuck or
whatever. While the tablet does have buttons going along
the very
bottom of the screen, back, overview, home, volume down
and volume
up, it appears to be necessary to use the double tap
gesture to
activate these, so that means it's stupidly hard to get
them to work.

I then decided to locate the settings app and see if
there were any
preferences I might could change to help, which leads me
to my final
problem. I checked through everything I could find,
accessibility,
checked the TTS, looked at the TTS's speech rate, whent
back a bit
and turned down the brightness on the screen, pressed
back on the
keyboard to go back into the main settings again and
poof, I
completely lost speech. It didn't appear that tb had
crashed, as I
still had the navigation sounds that tb used when I used
flick or the
keyboard to move, but the speech from the default google
TTS that
comes loaded was completely gone. I tried to lock and
unlock the
screen which didn't work, so I ended up holding down the
power button
for like 30 seconds and everything was shut down. Luckily
for me,
when the device came back up, I had speech again. I've
thought about
purchasing another TTS, as one reason I tried it was for
being able
to use eloquence, but I'm honestly a little worried with
what I see
so far from what I assume is crappy hardware.

I'd really hoped that the 80 bucks I put into purchasing
this little
beasty would be enough to give me an idea if a higher end
device such
as a phone would be something I'd like changing to, but
so far as I
It was here that I was hoping that perhaps it's just me,
something
screwy with the hardware that could be fixed, or that
perhaps someone
Hope everyone is well.
Take care.

Gene

I don't use such devices but I would suggest experimenting with the time between taps.  Changing the interval may affect performance.  You indicated that keeping a finger on the icon improves performance.  This may be, in effect, interfering with how the device gauges the time between taps and may be improving performance for that reason.

Gene

----- Original Message -----
Sent: Wednesday, April 26, 2017 4:25 PM

two useful commands are control alt r for recent screens, and control alt n
for notification screen. to review the screen press alt plus up down left
or right arrow keys. to activate an item hit alt enter. to long  press, hit
alt shift enter.

On April 26, 2017 5:19:30 PM "Carolyn Arnold" <4carolyna@...> wrote:

> Thank you for that information. Could you send me any tablet specific key
> commands to:
>
> 4carolyna@...
>
> Thanks.
>
> Bye for now,
>
> Carolyn
>
>
> -----Original Message-----
> From: main@TechTalk.groups.io [mailto:main@TechTalk.groups.io] On Behalf Of
> Josh Kennedy
> Sent: Wednesday, April 26, 2017 4:13 PM
> To: main@TechTalk.groups.io
> Subject: Re: [TechTalk] New RCA Galileo, my thoughts
>
> if you use the keyboard, the escape key is back, and home is f1 and
> settings is f3.
>
>
> On 4/26/2017 4:09 PM, Jeremy wrote:
>> Hey all,
>> First let me just say that I do not intend what so ever to start any
>> arguments as to what platforms might be better,  but my experiences so
>> far with this new tablet haven't been good at all. It was my hopes
>> that perhaps updating tb might fix some of the issues I'm seeing so
>> far, but it hasn't done much for being able to navigate around this
>> thing.
>>
>> Beyond that, I'm hoping that perhaps something is faulty in the
>> hardware, but either way, here is what I'm having issues with, so
>> perhaps someone with more experience can help.
>>
>> As soon as I got the tablet this morning, I followed the instructions
>> here for starting tb. I'm familiar with using this two-finger gesture,
>> as I'd used it before on other devices, but I unfortunately wasn't
>> able to get it to work right away. I ended up locking and unlocking
>> the screen, as was mentioned here previously, using one finger to
>> flick up and then using the two-finger gesture again. After a little
>> bit tb came up talking and took me to the tutorial thing as I'd expected.
>>
>> It was here that I started having a lot of problems. First, the double
>> tap gesture seems to be very difficult to register. From what I can
>> tell so far, the other gestures such as flicking aren't as bad, but no
>> matter how slow or fast I try to double tap, it always seems to
>> register it as me just touching the item once. I noticed that it's a
>> little more reliable if I keep one finger on the item I want to
>> activate and then use another finger to double tap, but this isn't
>> always consistent either.
>>
>> Another real gripe was actually making it through the setup process.
>> One area specifically that I got stuck in was the one where you can
>> select your wireless AP you wish to connect to. I'm not quite certain
>> if it was the flick gesture screwing up, an issue with that part of
>> the interface, or whatever, but I ended up in an area where the name
>> of an AP here close to me was being repeated over and over and over.
>> As soon as I'd use the arrow keys on the keyboard or a flick right
>> gesture to try to jump to the name of my AP, I would get the sound
>> from tb that something else had been refocused and it would jump back
>> to somewhere else on the screen. Once I'd made it to the name of my
>> AP, I tried to quickly use the double tap to activate it, but once
>> again, it failed. I ended up having to use a mixture of the arrow
>> keys, enter key, touching the screen to find stuff that I couldn't
>> focus on with the keyboard and the flick gestures to make it through.
>>
>> Once I'd made it through setting up the tablet, I was able to go into
>> the apps icon on the bottom and locate the play store icon. Through
>> using explore by touch, flicking and the keyboard, I was able to
>> locate the search button and do a search for talkback. I'd also been
>> somewhat familiar with this process from older devices, so I already
>> knew what to expect as to installing/updating it. Once I'd updated it,
>> I noticed that the navigation sounds had changed, but I'm still having
>> major issues with actually moving around through the UI. This is where
>> I'm hoping that maybe something is jacked up with the screen, as to
>> why it's hard to register a double tap, but if not, I'm not quite sure
>> I'd call this usable at all. I'll also note that in the little I've
>> been able to play with higher end devices, such as the s7, I didn't
>> seem to have issues with gestures like this.
>>
>> For anyone else who might be thinking of purchasing this, please keep
>> in mind that it doesn't seem to have dedicated hardware buttons for
>> back and home. For those familiar with some of the phones that
>> actually have a home button you can feel, this makes it quite easy to
>> re orientate yourself back to the home screen if you're stuck or
>> whatever. While the tablet does have buttons going along the very
>> bottom of the screen, back, overview, home, volume down and volume up,
>> it appears to be necessary to use the double tap gesture to activate
>> these, so that means it's stupidly hard to get them to work.
>>
>> I then decided to locate the settings app and see if there were any
>> preferences I might could change to help, which leads me to my final
>> problem. I checked through everything I could find, accessibility,
>> checked the TTS, looked at the TTS's speech rate, whent back a bit and
>> turned down the brightness on the screen, pressed back on the keyboard
>> to go back into the main settings again and poof, I completely lost
>> speech. It didn't appear that tb had crashed, as I still had the
>> navigation sounds that tb used when I used flick or the keyboard to
>> move, but the speech from the default google TTS that comes loaded was
>> completely gone. I tried to lock and unlock the screen which didn't
>> work, so I ended up holding down the power button for like 30 seconds
>> and everything was shut down. Luckily for me, when the device came
>> back up, I had speech again. I've thought about purchasing another
>> TTS, as one reason I tried it was for being able to use eloquence, but
>> I'm honestly a little worried with what I see so far from what I
>> assume is crappy hardware.
>>
>> I'd really hoped that the 80 bucks I put into purchasing this little
>> beasty would be enough to give me an idea if a higher end device such
>> as a phone would be something I'd like changing to, but so far as I
>> can tell, I'm not pleased at all.
>> It was here that I was hoping that perhaps it's just me, something
>> screwy with the hardware that could be fixed, or that perhaps someone
>> else had ideas on stuff I could try.
>> Hope everyone is well.
>> Take care.
>>
>>
>>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>

Josh Kennedy

I detached my tablet and was using it for a bit tonight, and had no issues with the double taps and stuff. just practice with it, you'll get the hang of it.

On April 26, 2017 17:45:15 "Gene" <gsasner@...> wrote:

I don't use such devices but I would suggest experimenting with the time between taps.  Changing the interval may affect performance.  You indicated that keeping a finger on the icon improves performance.  This may be, in effect, interfering with how the device gauges the time between taps and may be improving performance for that reason.

Gene

alt shift enter.

> commands to:
>
> 4carolyna@...
>
> Thanks.
>
> Bye for now,
>
> Carolyn
>
>
> Josh Kennedy
>
> settings is f3.
>
>
>> Hey all,
>> thing.
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>> Take care.
>>
>>
>>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>

Marie <magpie.mn@...>

have had many similar experiences even on the higher end Android c\devices. So you are not alone.
Marie

Sent: Wednesday, April 26, 2017 1:09 PM
Subject: [TechTalk] New RCA Galileo, my thoughts

Hey all,
far with this new tablet haven't been good at all. It was my hopes that
perhaps updating tb might fix some of the issues I'm seeing so far, but
it hasn't done much for being able to navigate around this thing.

as I'd used it before on other devices, but I unfortunately wasn't able
to get it to work right away. I ended up locking and unlocking the
screen, as was mentioned here previously, using one finger to flick up
and then using the two-finger gesture again. After a little bit tb came
up talking and took me to the tutorial thing as I'd expected.

tap gesture seems to be very difficult to register. From what I can tell
so far, the other gestures such as flicking aren't as bad, but no matter
how slow or fast I try to double tap, it always seems to register it as
me just touching the item once. I noticed that it's a little more
reliable if I keep one finger on the item I want to activate and then
use another finger to double tap, but this isn't always consistent either.

Another real gripe was actually making it through the setup process. One
area specifically that I got stuck in was the one where you can select
your wireless AP you wish to connect to. I'm not quite certain if it was
the flick gesture screwing up, an issue with that part of the interface,
or whatever, but I ended up in an area where the name of an AP here
close to me was being repeated over and over and over. As soon as I'd
use the arrow keys on the keyboard or a flick right gesture to try to
jump to the name of my AP, I would get the sound from tb that something
else had been refocused and it would jump back to somewhere else on the
screen. Once I'd made it to the name of my AP, I tried to quickly use
the double tap to activate it, but once again, it failed. I ended up
having to use a mixture of the arrow keys, enter key, touching the
screen to find stuff that I couldn't focus on with the keyboard and the
flick gestures to make it through.

using explore by touch, flicking and the keyboard, I was able to locate
the search button and do a search for talkback. I'd also been somewhat
familiar with this process from older devices, so I already knew what to
expect as to installing/updating it. Once I'd updated it, I noticed that
the navigation sounds had changed, but I'm still having major issues
with actually moving around through the UI. This is where I'm hoping
that maybe something is jacked up with the screen, as to why it's hard
to register a double tap, but if not, I'm not quite sure I'd call this
usable at all. I'll also note that in the little I've been able to play
with higher end devices, such as the s7, I didn't seem to have issues
with gestures like this.

For anyone else who might be thinking of purchasing this, please keep in
mind that it doesn't seem to have dedicated hardware buttons for back
and home. For those familiar with some of the phones that actually have
a home button you can feel, this makes it quite easy to re orientate
yourself back to the home screen if you're stuck or whatever. While the
tablet does have buttons going along the very bottom of the screen,
back, overview, home, volume down and volume up, it appears to be
necessary to use the double tap gesture to activate these, so that means
it's stupidly hard to get them to work.

and everything was shut down. Luckily for me, when the device came back
up, I had speech again. I've thought about purchasing another TTS, as
one reason I tried it was for being able to use eloquence, but I'm
honestly a little worried with what I see so far from what I assume is
crappy hardware.

beasty would be enough to give me an idea if a higher end device such as
a phone would be something I'd like changing to, but so far as I can
tell, I'm not pleased at all.
Hope everyone is well.
Take care.

Jeremy <icu8it2@...>

Unfortunately, as much as I'd like it to, I highly doubt that practicing a double tap beyond what I've already tried is going to automagically cause it to start registering them differently. My apologies if I didn't mention it before, but I'm not exactly new to using a touchscreen. I've been using different touchscreen devices every since I purchased the IPhone4, had an S3 with both ICS and then rooted to use jellybean with cm10 for a short time, back to the IPhone5, IPads and now to the IPhone6 plus which I've had since it's release.

My issue really wasn't from a lack of knowledge of the gestures used for android, as they are for the most part equivalent to those used in IOS, it was more so my confusion why most gestures were working decent enough to use and that one was not. Now that I've played with it even more, had an opportunity to tap it lightly, hard, tap it slow and fast and yet see no difference, I really don't have any clues.

This isn't the first time I've herd of this type of thing on an android device, but it's the first time I've actually seen it with one I've played with. As you say, if you have detached the keyboard and you're finding that the double tap gesture is registering as it should, then perhaps it's something out of my control to fix or re-configure, such as some weirdness in the display.

I've also tried to visit the preferences area of tb and enable the one tap activation gesture, to see if it'd work as a workaround, but it still doesn't perform a click on an element with raising your finger and tapping once as it should. It does seem to make the double tap work a little better, but it's still not consistent.

As I said before, I think I need to figure out a way to test the difference between it registering a single tap and a double tap and do it without tb running. It'd be my thinking that that'd be the best way to determine if it's something specific to the accessibility framework, so tb or EBT or something outside of it like the hardware.

Lastly, I also noticed an option in the settings for tb that indicated that you could change the sensitivity for it registering taps. I may be slightly off it the exact wording, but either way, I also tried to adjust that to see if it'd change and it didn't.
Take care.

On 4/26/2017 4:48 PM, Josh Kennedy wrote:

I detached my tablet and was using it for a bit tonight, and had no issues with the double taps and stuff. just practice with it, you'll get the hang of it.

Gene

alt shift enter.

> commands to:
>
> 4carolyna@...
>
> Thanks.
>
> Bye for now,
>
> Carolyn
>
>
> Josh Kennedy
>
> settings is f3.
>
>
>> Hey all,
>> thing.
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>> Take care.
>>
>>
>>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>

Jeremy <icu8it2@...>

So, I had an opportunity to test a double tap without tb running and go figure, it worked perfectly, every single time. I made sure to test different speeds of tapping, different amounts of force and the double tap was flawless. I then had my wife remove the updates to tb that had been added when I updated it and then we went back through the tutorial again. Even inside the tutorial, in the part where it has you demonstrate a double tap, it wasn't working as consistently as it had before we started it back up, but we were able to complete the tutorial. Once we'd gotten back on the home screen, we noticed some major inconsistencies again with getting them to register. She was able to get it working pretty well using one finger and then not at all with another one. I had issues no matter what finger I tried, but I noticed that I could tap it with the fat part right below my knuckle and get it about every 5 or 6 times. I even re-updated tb, thinking that perhaps some part of some mechanism that tb uses to intercept the gestures was wigging out, but it still hasn't changed. We are still able to completely turn it off and have them work correctly, so at this point, I'm completely boggled.

The last thing I thought of, which I've yet to try is doing a complete factory reset of the device. This seems really stupid to me, as I just received it this morning, but I honestly don't have any ideas beyond that or any ideas of where else to go with it. As much as I'd really love to get back into android, hopefully figure out if a higher end phone is going to work for me, I'm thinking that perhaps this wasn't the best way to go about it. rofllmao
Take care. :)

On 4/26/2017 6:36 PM, jeremy wrote:
Unfortunately, as much as I'd like it to, I highly doubt that practicing a double tap beyond what I've already tried is going to automagically cause it to start registering them differently. My apologies if I didn't mention it before, but I'm not exactly new to using a touchscreen. I've been using different touchscreen devices every since I purchased the IPhone4, had an S3 with both ICS and then rooted to use jellybean with cm10 for a short time, back to the IPhone5, IPads and now to the IPhone6 plus which I've had since it's release.

My issue really wasn't from a lack of knowledge of the gestures used for android, as they are for the most part equivalent to those used in IOS, it was more so my confusion why most gestures were working decent enough to use and that one was not. Now that I've played with it even more, had an opportunity to tap it lightly, hard, tap it slow and fast and yet see no difference, I really don't have any clues.

This isn't the first time I've herd of this type of thing on an android device, but it's the first time I've actually seen it with one I've played with. As you say, if you have detached the keyboard and you're finding that the double tap gesture is registering as it should, then perhaps it's something out of my control to fix or re-configure, such as some weirdness in the display.

I've also tried to visit the preferences area of tb and enable the one tap activation gesture, to see if it'd work as a workaround, but it still doesn't perform a click on an element with raising your finger and tapping once as it should. It does seem to make the double tap work a little better, but it's still not consistent.

As I said before, I think I need to figure out a way to test the difference between it registering a single tap and a double tap and do it without tb running. It'd be my thinking that that'd be the best way to determine if it's something specific to the accessibility framework, so tb or EBT or something outside of it like the hardware.

Lastly, I also noticed an option in the settings for tb that indicated that you could change the sensitivity for it registering taps. I may be slightly off it the exact wording, but either way, I also tried to adjust that to see if it'd change and it didn't.
Take care.

Gene

alt shift enter.

> commands to:
>
> 4carolyna@...
>
> Thanks.
>
> Bye for now,
>
> Carolyn
>
>
> Josh Kennedy
>
> settings is f3.
>
>
>> Hey all,
>> thing.
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>> Take care.
>>
>>
>>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>

Josh Kennedy

unless the touch screen is made a bit different than mine? I don't know. But I can tell you that I can double tap just fine on my RCA tablet. Using audex helps because I get a sound and stuff when I double tap and do gestures and stuff. the audex accessibility redefined app, that is what i use.

On 4/26/2017 11:24 PM, Jeremy wrote:
So, I had an opportunity to test a double tap without tb running and go figure, it worked perfectly, every single time. I made sure to test different speeds of tapping, different amounts of force and the double tap was flawless. I then had my wife remove the updates to tb that had been added when I updated it and then we went back through the tutorial again. Even inside the tutorial, in the part where it has you demonstrate a double tap, it wasn't working as consistently as it had before we started it back up, but we were able to complete the tutorial. Once we'd gotten back on the home screen, we noticed some major inconsistencies again with getting them to register. She was able to get it working pretty well using one finger and then not at all with another one. I had issues no matter what finger I tried, but I noticed that I could tap it with the fat part right below my knuckle and get it about every 5 or 6 times. I even re-updated tb, thinking that perhaps some part of some mechanism that tb uses to intercept the gestures was wigging out, but it still hasn't changed. We are still able to completely turn it off and have them work correctly, so at this point, I'm completely boggled.

The last thing I thought of, which I've yet to try is doing a complete factory reset of the device. This seems really stupid to me, as I just received it this morning, but I honestly don't have any ideas beyond that or any ideas of where else to go with it. As much as I'd really love to get back into android, hopefully figure out if a higher end phone is going to work for me, I'm thinking that perhaps this wasn't the best way to go about it. rofllmao
Take care. :)

On 4/26/2017 6:36 PM, jeremy wrote:

Take care.

Gene

alt shift enter.

> commands to:
>
> 4carolyna@...
>
> Thanks.
>
> Bye for now,
>
> Carolyn
>
>
> Josh Kennedy
>
> settings is f3.
>
>
>> Hey all,
>> thing.
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>> Take care.
>>
>>
>>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>

Olusegun -- Victory Associates LTD, Inc.

Well, I am not into double tapping; in Talkback, I changed stuff to single
tap.

In Android, once an icon has focus, you can tap anywhere on the screen to
launch it. Example, suppose I want to launch the E-Mail app; I find the
appropriate icon, here it announced by Talkback; then I lift my finger and
tap anywhere on the screen to launch it. Again, I only have to tap once to
launch an app once its icon has focus. There are of course those who prefer
the double tap, I'm not in that boat.

Not just based on what I have read, but more so on personal experience: A
light touch is all that's required when using Android device. The words
"light touch" do have dictionary definitions without a doubt. However, that
which constitutes a LIGHT TOUCH will be different for each person.

Now, how often do I use two fingers on my Android toy? I use these when
pulling down the Notification Panel, flipping from one home screen to
another, scrolling up and down, swiping from left to right to answer a
WhatsApp call, or, starting Talkback after having performed a factory reset.
Beyond these, all other gestures I perform with just one finger.

Presently, I have a touchscreen phone; however, as I prepare to set up a
POINT OF SALE system using Android, the time is more than ripe for me to
grab a tablet and begin the workout! I have, at various phone stores,
played with a number of tablets ranging in size from 8" through 11.5". I
like the Samsung line quite a bit; I think it's hardware, for my purposes,
has the best real estate for what I am trying to accomplish.

Sincerely,
Olusegun
Denver, Colorado