Stories from the Tech Desk

Dave

Hello Olusegun,

Wow! Your story brings back a lot of memories of when I spent time working the Technical Support Desk, and it is a wild pressure filled job. Customers are angry and too many need to vent their anger on you, often several times, before they are able to settle down, to actually listen to the very person who can help them out of their situation.

I can't imagine being given only 50 seconds to answer, listen and solve a customers problem. I've had calls that took 5 minutes just to calm the person down from their rant, before I could even begin helping them. And if there is the need for a Removal and a Re-install of the software, it is easy to Kiss 30 to 40 minutes Good Bye. There are some crazy situations that need to be un-tangled before a solution can be implemented. I had a supervisor tell me I should take no more than 10 minutes with any customer for any problem. And again, this is coming from a Supervisor that knows very little about computers, the sof5tware we were selling, or the length of time it takes to clean up a system, before a reinstall can begin.

And then some customers are not very good with their Computers, and in fact, know next to nothing, other than how to turn it On. Some leave their systems on all the time because they honestly do not know how to turn them off! Not Kidding! And then if they are older, and have difficulty grasping what you are saying, or they cannot hear you because they have a hearing problem, well, you see the problem. Few calls are done in 10 minutes, and I would guess none were actually done in 50 seconds. My word, 50 seconds! What Planet were your Bosses from?

I have always believed that if a Company takes care of its Customers, those Customers will take care of the Company.

Sad to say, no one in Management has this same belief, and instead treat the Customer as if they are the Enemy!

I am still thinking about the 50 second time limit you had for helping someone. Incredible that management actually thought a customer service person could answer and complete a call in less than one minute!

Well, this all gets back to Money Honey. The Company makes deep compromises when crafting the product, and then often under staffs the Support department, so it is easily over whelmed with support calls. And the brilliant answer from management is to not hire the much needed extra support staff, but to force what staff there is, to limit each call to no more than 50 seconds. Incredible!

Sad to say, this is becoming the Norm, and not the exception. The
Customer has become the enemy.

I see some good signs, a few Companies are once again realizing Customer
Service is a Good thing, and a very Important part of keeping customers
happy. I hope this trend towards good service continues.

Grumpy Dave

--
Dave <dlh007@centurylink.net>

Carolyn Arnold

Two things, Dave, I had a friend, dead now, but she always
said, "I don't know anything about a computer, wouldn't even
know how to turn one on."

The other thing is that we have a rather high-end department
store here in the little center by the apartments and a
chain, just a step above a Dollar Store that buys a lot of
odd lots. My husband was saying last night that it is
amazing to him how much more help we get in the cheap store
than in the high dollar, where they appear not to be
concerned as to whether we come or we don't come.
Consequently, we go there less, and it is surprising what we
end up finding in the odd lot store that works pretty well.
I'm thinking that we're not the only spokes in the wheel,
and that if we tend to go to Odd Lot more often, others
probably are doing that too. So, then High Dollar is going
to wonder what went wrong?

Bye for now,

Carolyn

[...]

heather albright

I think this is half the reason why I like apple more than Microsoft. You can call apple and ask a question and they go out of their way to give you an answer. Microsoft reads from a sscript and half of the time they do not know the answer. Apple accessibility is in the states and ms is over seas in india. Apple is open 24 hours and Microsoft is open only 12 hours I think. I wint in to the Microsoft store with questions and I left with the same questions because the people working there could not give me the answers and they did not even try to find out. I went in to the apple store with questions and they answered the questions and even gave me suggestions to solve my problem in different ways. I used to go to frys instead of bestbuy because, frys would help you with tec issues and bestbuy only wants to sell you something. For example, I brought my laptop in to the store to help find a solution to my problem. It was missing drivers. So the tec person fixed it and he did not charge me because the site with the drivers was not working with my screenreader and if it had, I could have fixed the problem. Bestbuy told me I had to pay 75 to 125 dollars and give my laptop over for 12 hours. So even if frysand apple  charges a little more it is worth it because, they have better service. Heather

contact:
e-mail:
kd5cbl@...
skype: cynterline
ham call sign:
kd5cbl
sites:
National Federation of The Blind:
www.nfb.org
how the blind do it:
www.blindhow.com

[...]

AVG logo

www.avg.com

Carolyn Arnold

Definitely. We called once for help with the iPhone; they were great!

Bye for now,

Carolyn

[...]

________________________________

<http://www.avg.com/internet-security> This email has been checked for viruses by AVG antivirus software.
www.avg.com <http://www.avg.com/internet-security>

Josh Kennedy

did you try calling the microsoft disability help answer desk?

Sent with AquaMail for Android
http://www.aqua-mail.com

On April 27, 2017 20:40:48 "heather albright" <kd5cbl@...> wrote:

[...]

Yes, I call them when I as a final resort! I do not like folks trying to do things on my pc without my permission like they did. I have never had this with apple! When I ask a question, I usually appreciate complete answers in clear English. Heather

[...]

Rajmund <brajmund2000@...>

Hi,
Oh, I can assure the tech support in the UK is not English.

Sent from a BrailleNote

[...]

---
http://www.avg.com

Pamela Dominguez

So do I, but I'm not holding my breath! (smile) Fifty seconds is ridiculous! It reminds me of how my counselor wanted me to go into doing customer service and/or telephone sales. I told her she was crazy. I already get migrains, and I'd rather be unemployed than put that level of stress on myself. Pam.

[...]

I'm glad you get help in those cheap stores. The ones I have around here are run by people who hardly speak English, and who don't want me to touch the merchandise. Pam.

[...]

That’s interesting.  I used to bring my laptop to Best Buy and the geek squad would do stuff to it right there while I waited, and not charge me.  It depended, though, on what “geek” you got as to how well you were helped.  One time, (I’m glad to say this was only once), the guy turned on my computer, which made three beeps, and he told me the hard drive was shot and I needed to buy a new computer.  I took it to my brother-in-law the next day, and he turned it on and got it running, and hooked it up to his stuff so I could get tons of emails.  So much for a computer that is dead.  Pam.

[...]

That is a big problem. Once, where I got my hair fixed for
years and got manicures, they got a manicurist who could not
speak English, so I stopped getting them. One of the ladies
that washed hair said she'd help me pick out my colors. I
told her, no, I did not intend to have someone run
interference for me, simply refused to get them anymore. As
I saw it, it was an accessibility problem. I could not point
or nod at her points, so we simply could not communicate. I
was not angry. My famous expression, it's a big world. My
husband did them for a long time. We saved that money.

Bye for now,

Carolyn

[...]

I’ve had good and bad results calling that, also.  Pam.

[...]

Marie <magpie.mn@...>

Personally, the few times I have needed assistance from Microsoft, I have found their Accessibility support very helpful. Most tech support people have screens that they are required to use when speaking with customers and some of the tech support people are less than knowledgeable when it comes to accessibility but MS will go the extra step to try to solve your issues.
This being said, I have had the best results with Apple support and never got off the phone without a solution. Therefore I do feel that in my experience they have exceeded most other tech support assistance I have needed to use.
Marie

[...]

Heather, regarding BestBuy, I could not agree more! Microcenter is like
that too! You ask questions from the salespeople and they always wonder
what river one drinks from. Meanwhile, at Radio Shack, I get much, much
better help! I can't walk into BestBuy or Microcenter without bringing
someone with me; I don't have to do that with Radio Shack, but it appears
all the ones around me have since gone home; I miss them! Batteries Plus is
another company I love doing business with. The patience of the salespeople
there is more than immaculate. There's an AT&T store where it seems as if I
have known all employees for as long as 10 years or more! They're so
friendly! I go there to check out tablets and phones. Whenever I go there,
I'm literally in for nearly two and a half hours just playing with different
phones and tablets that run Android.

A friend and I walked into an Apple store once! No one looked in our
direction, and no salesperson attended to us. I wondered why that was the
case, but, sufficing to say, I've not been back there ever since.

Sincerely,
Olusegun
Denver, Colorado

Ann Parsons

Hi all,

You would have to have the hair dresser run in terference for you or somebody else because you couldn't see the colors. Deaf people need interpreters. Non-English speakers do too.

I go to a place which is run by Vietnamese folks. I get help to pick the colors from my friend that I go there with, and then the people do the mani/pedi. The person I had last time didn't speak English too well, so he would tap my hand to have me move it a certain way, or he would touch my other hand to indicate I should give him that one. It took a little patience and a little time, but it worked.

I do get frustrated with non-English speakers if I'm having some kind of computer issue or something like that. I hate trying to make myself understood when I'm already frustrated.

Ann P.

Ann P.

--
Ann K. Parsons
Portal Tutoring

"All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost."

Pamela Dominguez

I hate going into stores and wanting to ask a question about something, and the people don't know what I'm saying. A good example of this is when I walked into a place and asked: "What do you have besides pizza?" The person just heard that one word they understood and said: "Pizza! Pizza!" Pam.

[...]

Here, the Office Max store people are helpful, and the
corporate Verizon store people are. I think this little town
has four Verizon stores.

Bye for now,

Carolyn