open?

Carlos

You can either disable the
"Read all messages in plain text"
checkbox under
"Options"
on the
"Read"
tab so that messages are always displayed as HTML, or enable HTML view temporarily while focus is in the preview pane by pressing Alt+Shift+H.

----- Original Message -----
To: <main@TechTalk.groups.io>
Sent: Thursday, May 04, 2017 5:44 AM
Subject: [TechTalk] being able to click on links in email in Outlook Express

Hi, how do you set outlook express that when You receive a message
with a link in it you can just press enter on that link and it will
open?

Dennis L <dennisl1982@...>

I am pretty sure the read as plain text box wasn't checked and
nothing happened when focused on a link.

On 5/4/17, Carlos <carlos1106@nyc.rr.com> wrote:
checkbox under
"Options"
on the
"Read"
tab so that messages are always displayed as HTML, or enable HTML view
temporarily while focus is in the preview pane by pressing Alt+Shift+H.
Subject: [TechTalk] being able to click on links in email in Outlook
Express

open?

Carlos

You should look in options to be sure. If it's still not working, I have no idea what is causing the problem.

Sent: Thursday, May 04, 2017 3:08 PM
Subject: Re: [TechTalk] being able to click on links in email in Outlook Express

I am pretty sure the read as plain text box wasn't checked and

On 5/4/17, Carlos <carlos1106@nyc.rr.com> wrote:
checkbox under
"Options"
on the
"Read"
tab so that messages are always displayed as HTML, or enable HTML view
temporarily while focus is in the preview pane by pressing Alt+Shift+H.
Subject: [TechTalk] being able to click on links in email in Outlook
Express

open?

Gene

I'm not sure why that is.  Perhaps it's a problem caused by using a program Microsoft doesn't intend to be useed beyond XP.  As Carlos has pointed out, enough people have problems with Outlook Express in later versions of Windows that he doesn't recommend it to be used. 

Unless you have a particular reason for using Outlook Express that other e-mail programs won't meet well or reasonably well, it would likely make more sense to use another one.  The most similar to Outlook Express in terms of programs you can download and install is the old menu version of Windows Live Mail.  I believe you can keep Outlook Express on your machine if you have Windows Live Mail so you can try it while still using Outlook Express for now if you wish.  But in case my recollection is wrong, let's see what others say. 

I believe it works well or reasonably well in Windows 10 but again, let's see what people say.

Gene

Sent: Thursday, May 04, 2017 2:08 PM
Subject: Re: [TechTalk] being able to click on links in email in Outlook Express

I am pretty sure the read as plain text  box wasn't checked and

On 5/4/17, Carlos <carlos1106@...> wrote:
> You can either disable the
> "Read all messages in plain text"
> checkbox under
> "Options"
> on the
> "Read"
> tab so that messages are always displayed as HTML, or enable HTML view
> temporarily while focus is in the preview pane by pressing Alt+Shift+H.
> ----- Original Message -----
> From: "Dennis L" <dennisl1982@...>
> To: <main@TechTalk.groups.io>
> Sent: Thursday, May 04, 2017 5:44 AM
> Subject: [TechTalk] being able to click on links in email in Outlook
> Express
>
>
>> Hi, how do you set outlook express that when You receive a message
>> with a link in it you can just press enter on that link and it will
>> open?
>>
>>
>>
>
>
>
>
>

Mike B. <mb69mach1@...>

Another keystroke to try if the link was sent in plain text, is to place the cursor at the beginning of the link & invoke the keystroke, Shift + Enter.
Take care.
Mike
Sent from my iBarstool.  Go Dodgers!

Sent: Thursday, May 04, 2017 12:16 PM

You should look in options to be sure.  If it's still not working, I have no
idea what is causing the problem.
Subject: Re: [TechTalk] being able to click on links in email in Outlook
Express

>I am pretty sure the read as plain text  box wasn't checked and
> nothing happened when focused on a link.
>
> On 5/4/17, Carlos <carlos1106@...> wrote:
>> You can either disable the
>> "Read all messages in plain text"
>> checkbox under
>> "Options"
>> on the
>> "Read"
>> tab so that messages are always displayed as HTML, or enable HTML view
>> temporarily while focus is in the preview pane by pressing Alt+Shift+H.
>> ----- Original Message -----
>> From: "Dennis L" <dennisl1982@...>
>> To: <main@TechTalk.groups.io>
>> Sent: Thursday, May 04, 2017 5:44 AM
>> Subject: [TechTalk] being able to click on links in email in Outlook
>> Express
>>
>>
>>> Hi, how do you set outlook express that when You receive a message
>>> with a link in it you can just press enter on that link and it will
>>> open?
>>>
>>>
>>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>
>
>

Andy

I am using OE under Win 7 and have no problems with clicking on web links. However, when i click on an Email address, several IE windows open and I can't get them all to go away. I end up having to reboot.

Andy

Sent: Thursday, May 04, 2017 12:22 PM

I'm not sure why that is.  Perhaps it's a problem caused by using a program Microsoft doesn't intend to be useed beyond XP.  As Carlos has pointed out, enough people have problems with Outlook Express in later versions of Windows that he doesn't recommend it to be used. 

Unless you have a particular reason for using Outlook Express that other e-mail programs won't meet well or reasonably well, it would likely make more sense to use another one.  The most similar to Outlook Express in terms of programs you can download and install is the old menu version of Windows Live Mail.  I believe you can keep Outlook Express on your machine if you have Windows Live Mail so you can try it while still using Outlook Express for now if you wish.  But in case my recollection is wrong, let's see what others say. 

I believe it works well or reasonably well in Windows 10 but again, let's see what people say.

Gene

> checkbox under
> "Options"
> on the
> "Read"
> Express
>
>
>> open?
>>
>>
>>
>
>
>
>
>

Carlos

I don't have any problem clicking on links, including "mailto" links.  Although some Windows update did break the "SendTo" option for attachments.

Sent: Thursday, May 04, 2017 4:00 PM

I am using OE under Win 7 and have no problems with clicking on web links. However, when i click on an Email address, several IE windows open and I can't get them all to go away. I end up having to reboot.

Andy

Gene

> checkbox under
> "Options"
> on the
> "Read"
> Express
>
>
>> open?
>>
>>
>>
>
>
>
>
>

Mike B. <mb69mach1@...>

Hi Carlos,

I have 2 entries in my SendTo / context menu, Mail recipient, & Outlook Express Mail Recipient. If I use the, Mail recipient, option I get an error message stating the following:
Microsoft Office Outlook
Either there is no default mail client or the current mail client cannot fulfill the
messaging request.  Please run Microsoft Outlook and set it as the default
mail client.
OK

But, if I use the Outlook Express Mail Recipient option everything works just as it should.
Take care.
Mike

Sent: Thursday, May 04, 2017 1:14 PM

I don't have any problem clicking on links, including "mailto" links.  Although some Windows update did break the "SendTo" option for attachments.

Andy

Gene

> checkbox under
> "Options"
> on the
> "Read"
> Express
>
>
>> open?
>>
>>
>>
>
>
>
>
>

Carlos

Yes I have that second entry in Windows 10, but not in Windows 7.

Sent: Thursday, May 04, 2017 4:37 PM

Hi Carlos,

I have 2 entries in my SendTo / context menu, Mail recipient, & Outlook Express Mail Recipient. If I use the, Mail recipient, option I get an error message stating the following:
Microsoft Office Outlook
Either there is no default mail client or the current mail client cannot fulfill the
messaging request.  Please run Microsoft Outlook and set it as the default
mail client.
OK

But, if I use the Outlook Express Mail Recipient option everything works just as it should.
Take care.
Mike
Sent: Thursday, May 04, 2017 1:14 PM

Andy

Gene

> checkbox under
> "Options"
> on the
> "Read"
> Express
>
>
>> open?
>>
>>
>>
>
>
>
>
>

Pinky <pinky14@...>

I have notice since the Creators update installed automatically, when in my email client which is Outlook 2010 and there is a link. When Jaws announces the link I arrow once to the right which puts my cursor in the address of the link or web page. Then when I press enter it activate the link. I did not have to do this before the Creators update. So next time you hear Jaws announce the link arrow to the right once or twice and then press the enter key and see if it activate the link.

Mr. Ed

From: main@TechTalk.groups.io [mailto:main@TechTalk.groups.io] On Behalf Of Carlos
Sent: Thursday, May 04, 2017 3:14 PM
To: main@TechTalk.groups.io

Andy

Gene

> checkbox under
> "Options"
> on the
> "Read"
> Express
>
>
>> open?
>>
>>
>>
>
>
>
>
>

Gene

I don't think Outlook Express sees links as links if you read mail as plain text.  I don't think it would work but of course, it can be tried.  I think this is a case where an obscure problem exists because of incompatibility and I doubt a solution will be found.  Of course, I may be wrong but I've seen some people spend a lot of time working on problems with running Outlook Express in Windows higher than XP and they finally decided to use another program.

Gene

Sent: Thursday, May 04, 2017 2:59 PM

Another keystroke to try if the link was sent in plain text, is to place the cursor at the beginning of the link & invoke the keystroke, Shift + Enter.
Take care.
Mike
Sent: Thursday, May 04, 2017 12:16 PM

You should look in options to be sure.  If it's still not working, I have no
idea what is causing the problem.
Subject: Re: [TechTalk] being able to click on links in email in Outlook
Express

>I am pretty sure the read as plain text  box wasn't checked and
> nothing happened when focused on a link.
>
> On 5/4/17, Carlos <carlos1106@...> wrote:
>> You can either disable the
>> "Read all messages in plain text"
>> checkbox under
>> "Options"
>> on the
>> "Read"
>> tab so that messages are always displayed as HTML, or enable HTML view
>> temporarily while focus is in the preview pane by pressing Alt+Shift+H.
>> ----- Original Message -----
>> From: "Dennis L" <dennisl1982@...>
>> To: <main@TechTalk.groups.io>
>> Sent: Thursday, May 04, 2017 5:44 AM
>> Subject: [TechTalk] being able to click on links in email in Outlook
>> Express
>>
>>
>>> Hi, how do you set outlook express that when You receive a message
>>> with a link in it you can just press enter on that link and it will
>>> open?
>>>
>>>
>>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>
>
>

Gene

Just one more example of what I talked about in my last message.

Gene

Sent: Thursday, May 04, 2017 3:00 PM

Andy

Gene

> checkbox under
> "Options"
> on the
> "Read"
> Express
>
>
>> open?
>>