not so pleased with Microsoft support

Lenny McHugh

Well, the other day when I had the problem of not being able to open my local newspaper I finally contacted Microsoft support for people with disabilities. Yes they did fix the internet explorer problem but trashed a lot more. The first thing that I noticed is that my day by day reminder did not work. Here they stopped it from starting. Today was quite disturbing, my grandson needed to send some photos to his professor. My computer has never been able to see my or his iPhone so in 2012 I purchased touch copy 11. This worked fine until this afternoon. I got some weird message that it was on a network to which I had no access. Tried to download and that version is no longer available. It would cost me $40 to purchase the new one 2016.
I started looking in msconfig they turned so much off all update capabilities, all apple and who knows what else. I just enabled all for both services and startup. This did not correct the problem. After a lot of searching I did locate the original download and was able to reinstall. His pictures are on the way. Now I have to go back into msconfig and try to remember what all I have previously stopped. I wonder why they stopped things that had no bearing on I.E. Also I still wonder what will not work when I need it. I am removing c cleaner that they installed. Just wonder if it took out something that touch copy needs. I was always pleased with their support until today. Too bad that I already filled out the survey with high marks.

---

Please visit my web page

http://www.LennyMcHugh.com

heather albright

I contact MS support as a very last resort. They restarted my pc without asking me and they put programs on my pc without asking me. The last straw was they set my pc to an earlier restore point without asking me. Heather

contact:
e-mail:
kd5cbl@...
skype: cynterline
ham call sign:
kd5cbl
sites:
National Federation of The Blind:
www.nfb.org
how the blind do it:
www.blindhow.com

[...]

AVG logo

www.avg.com

Gene

I believe you asked about the problem here but you didn't get an answer.  I haven't seen a lot of discussion of this service in terms of its quality, but I've seen enough complaints to not use them unless I couldn't solve a problem here or on another list.  It sounds to me as though using another browser, perhaps a portable version, for that site would have been a much better option than letting the tech do all sorts of things to your machine that had no bearing on the problem.  You wouldn't have had to learn mmuch to learn the other browser, especially if you only intended to use it in such a limited way.  And you spent far more time correcting things they did than you would have getting the browser and learning the small amount you would want to know to use it, especially in such a limited way, as I said.

And the other benefit would be that if you know how to use more than one browser, there are times when the other browser will work much better on this or that site.

I'm not sure how much they should be expected to know but someone should keep track of important problems and make sure they know them.  The one I know about is that uninstalling Office damages Windows by removing something needed for accessibility.  I don't know if the problem only affects NVDA or screen-readers in general but the boiler plate solution of uninstalling and reinstalling a program is definitely not one to be used when dealing with Office.  But I saw a thread here recently about a tech from the service who did just that and the person had a lot of problems as a result.  Since this is a service dedicated to disability problems, some way should be implemented for techs who work there to know about such problems.

Sent: Sunday, May 07, 2017 7:02 PM

[...]

Carlos

It is also worth keeping in mind that with any such service experiences may vary widely depending on the technician you are assigned for a particular session.  I agree they should be better trained to deal with disability related issues and create a system for keeping track of important problems, but the fact is that some technicians are simply more knowledgeable and skilled than others.

Sent: Sunday, May 07, 2017 7:02 PM

[...]

Mike B. <mb69mach1@...>

In my past experiences with Microsoft Accessibility, whatever they do on your computer, they put a file on your computer explaining exactly what they did.  Normally this file is found in your Documents folder or on the root of your operating system drive.

And Carlos, you hit the proverbial nail squarely on the head as always!  When you get a technician talking about doing crap to your computer that you know is incorrect, don't let them!  I've cancelled out of screen sharing sessions more than once with them, but in some way shape or form explaining why I did so.  Don't always feel that just because they are Microsoft technicians they know everything.  As y'all know I'm 1 of the dimmest bulbs with this computer crap, but when things just don't sound right, they usually aren't.
Take care.
Mike
Sent from my iBarstool.  Go Dodgers!

Sent: Sunday, May 07, 2017 7:02 PM

[...]

I have never received such a file I wish they did but I looked on my computer and I did not find any files from Microsoft
Thank you heather

Sent from my iPhone

Sent: Sunday, May 07, 2017 7:02 PM

[...]

Hi Heather,

Well, maybe it's always because I ask them if they are going to leave a file stating what they did to my computer.  I don't know why I've always asked them, but maybe that's why, & I assumed that's what they did by default.

Sent: Sunday, May 07, 2017 7:02 PM

[...]

Kimsan <kimsansong@...>

What’s the name of the file?

Respectfully,

Kimsan Song

kimsansong@...

Sent: Sunday, May 07, 2017 7:02 PM

[...]

Ask Tech Talk at Groups.io to Explain It.txt!  LOL
[...]

Leaving a file is nice but they should tell you what they are doing.  As far as ai know, at least most of the time, perhaps all, they are working with the computer and you are on the phone.  A file tells you what they did after they did it.  It is not adequate.

Sent: Sunday, May 07, 2017 7:02 PM

[...]

george b <gbmagoo@...>

Well I always tell the person at the start that I am totally blind and want to be told in advance what step they are going to do and what the outcome will be and if I wish them to do that step.

So I never have had issues with their service.

As they say you get what you ask for

Sent: Sunday, May 07, 2017 7:02 PM

[...]

Many people don't know to ask for such information.  It should not be up to the user to specify this.  People call with lots of different levels of technical knowledge.

[...]

Ann Parsons

Hi all,

This is why, when asking for help of any kind, computer tech or anything else, you need to control what's going on. Ask what they are doing. Ask and ask and ask, even if you drive them nuts. Tell them you want to know what's happening to your computer. Don't just sit back and assume they are doing the right thing.

This is true of other things too. Ask what the doctor is doing and why. Ask where you are being taken by train or airport personnel. Ask where you are and confirm the address when riding in a cab or on paratransit. Ask, ask, ask, ask, be proactive! It's your body, your life, and you have control over it. You're not a package or a dumb animal or doll. Ask! Make your needs known in a quiet but no-nonsense way. Ask!

Ann P.

kd5cbl@gmail.com
http://www.LennyMcHugh.com <http://www.lennymchugh.com/>

AVG logo <http://www.avg.com/internet-security>
www.avg.com <http://www.avg.com/internet-security>
--
Ann K. Parsons
Portal Tutoring

"All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost."

george b <gbmagoo@...>

Thank you ann I was just commented on by one who says no shoulden't do this...i never knew a tech person who was a mind reader...LOL

[...]

It's not a question of being a mind-reader.  there are just common sense things a tech should do and the techs in the service should be told or instructed to do this.  Of course, if they don't, you should talk with them and tell them to.  But there is nothing unreasonable about expecting techs who work for the service to be instructed to do this.

Gene

web site:  http://www.portaltutoring.info
Skype: Putertutor

"All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost."

george b <gbmagoo@...>

Ah, you would be bent if they asked you the incorrect thing

It's not a question of being a mind-reader.  there are just common sense things a tech should do and the techs in the service should be told or instructed to do this.  Of course, if they don't, you should talk with them and tell them to.  But there is nothing unreasonable about expecting techs who work for the service to be instructed to do this.

Gene

Thank you ann I was just commented on by one who says no shoulden't do this...i never knew a tech person who was a mind reader...LOL

This is why, when asking for help of any kind, computer tech or anything else, you need to control what's going on.  Ask what they are doing.  Ask and ask and ask, even if you drive them nuts.  Tell them you want to know what's happening to your computer.  Don't just sit back and assume they are doing the right thing.

This is true of other things too.  Ask what the doctor is doing and why.  Ask where you are being taken by train or airport personnel.  Ask where you are and confirm the address when riding in a cab or on paratransit.  Ask, ask, ask, ask, be proactive!  It's your body, your life, and you have control over it.  You're not a package or a dumb animal or doll.  Ask!  Make your needs known in a quiet but no-nonsense way.  Ask!

Ann P.

> I contact MS support as a very last resort. They restarted my pc
> without asking me and they put programs on my pc without asking me.
> The last straw was they set my pc to an earlier restore point without
> asking me. Heather

> "Blindness is a characteristic, not a handicap!" Dr. Kenneth Jernigan
> contact:
> e-mail:
> kd5cbl@...
> skype: cynterline
> ham call sign:
> kd5cbl
> sites:
> National Federation of The Blind:
> www.nfb.org
> how the blind do it:
> www.blindhow.com

You mean if I were a tech and someone asked me the wrong thing?  What is the wrong thing?  If someone doesn't understand something and doesn't want me to do it because they don't understand, if I want to help the person, that may be frustrating.  But I don't see how there can be a "wrong thing" to ask.

Ah, you would be bent if they asked you the incorrect thing

It's not a question of being a mind-reader.  there are just common sense things a tech should do and the techs in the service should be told or instructed to do this.  Of course, if they don't, you should talk with them and tell them to.  But there is nothing unreasonable about expecting techs who work for the service to be instructed to do this.

Gene

Thank you ann I was just commented on by one who says no shoulden't do this...i never knew a tech person who was a mind reader...LOL

This is why, when asking for help of any kind, computer tech or anything else, you need to control what's going on.  Ask what they are doing.  Ask and ask and ask, even if you drive them nuts.  Tell them you want to know what's happening to your computer.  Don't just sit back and assume they are doing the right thing.

This is true of other things too.  Ask what the doctor is doing and why.  Ask where you are being taken by train or airport personnel.  Ask where you are and confirm the address when riding in a cab or on paratransit.  Ask, ask, ask, ask, be proactive!  It's your body, your life, and you have control over it.  You're not a package or a dumb animal or doll.  Ask!  Make your needs known in a quiet but no-nonsense way.  Ask!

Ann P.

> I contact MS support as a very last resort. They restarted my pc
> without asking me and they put programs on my pc without asking me.
> The last straw was they set my pc to an earlier restore point without
> asking me. Heather

> "Blindness is a characteristic, not a handicap!" Dr. Kenneth Jernigan
> contact:
> e-mail:
> kd5cbl@...
> skype: cynterline
> ham call sign:
> kd5cbl
> sites:
> National Federation of The Blind:
> www.nfb.org
> how the blind do it:
> www.blindhow.com

Marie <magpie.mn@...>

Great post, Ann. I agree with you 100%. Too many of us let others herd us around like cattle and I, for one, won't let that happen to me.
Marie

[...]

Jim <jim.flusche@...>

In my humble opinion, I appreciate Microsoft providing free tech support for the blind computer user. I encourage all my group members to call them with various issues that are too hard to cover in group emails. Are they perfect? No, but who is? So quit whining about a totally free service provided to all blind computer users please. LOL.

You mean if I were a tech and someone asked me the wrong thing?  What is the wrong thing?  If someone doesn't understand something and doesn't want me to do it because they don't understand, if I want to help the person, that may be frustrating.  But I don't see how there can be a "wrong thing" to ask.

Ah, you would be bent if they asked you the incorrect thing

It's not a question of being a mind-reader.  there are just common sense things a tech should do and the techs in the service should be told or instructed to do this.  Of course, if they don't, you should talk with them and tell them to.  But there is nothing unreasonable about expecting techs who work for the service to be instructed to do this.

Gene

Thank you ann I was just commented on by one who says no shoulden't do this...i never knew a tech person who was a mind reader...LOL

This is why, when asking for help of any kind, computer tech or anything else, you need to control what's going on.  Ask what they are doing.  Ask and ask and ask, even if you drive them nuts.  Tell them you want to know what's happening to your computer.  Don't just sit back and assume they are doing the right thing.

This is true of other things too.  Ask what the doctor is doing and why.  Ask where you are being taken by train or airport personnel.  Ask where you are and confirm the address when riding in a cab or on paratransit.  Ask, ask, ask, ask, be proactive!  It's your body, your life, and you have control over it.  You're not a package or a dumb animal or doll.  Ask!  Make your needs known in a quiet but no-nonsense way.  Ask!

Ann P.

> I contact MS support as a very last resort. They restarted my pc
> without asking me and they put programs on my pc without asking me.
> The last straw was they set my pc to an earlier restore point without
> asking me. Heather

> "Blindness is a characteristic, not a handicap!" Dr. Kenneth Jernigan
> contact:
> e-mail:
> kd5cbl@...
> skype: cynterline
> ham call sign:
> kd5cbl
> sites:
> National Federation of The Blind:
> www.nfb.org
> how the blind do it:
> www.blindhow.com

Hi Carlos, yes I agree, Many of their technicians are better trained than others. So we need to share with Microsoft about this issue, let them know that they need to have better training for their technicians who handle the issues for the blind community. Yes, we are in control of the remote session, I tell them to tell me exactly what they want to do before they do it. Again, all in all, I thank Microsoft for having this free service for the blind computer user. So let all of us blind computer users work with Microsoft and let them know how they can improve this free service. Smiles.