article: Microsoft Exec Blames WannaCry Ransomware on NSA Vulnerability Hoarding Program #article


enes sarıbaş
 

hi,
This is an article on bleepingcomputer.
https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/news/government/microsoft-exec-blames-wannacry-ransomware-on-nsa-vulnerability-hoarding-program/

Covering the statment from a a microsoft offitial reguarding the wannacry ransomware that spread through the NSA exploit. I recall gene asking me to proove my asertion that bleeping computer is a pro-american site. This article prooves it very well. Firsstly, the title "Microsoft Exec Blames WannaCry Ransomware on NSA Vulnerability" somehow implys that the NSA vulnerability was not responsible for the ransomware's spread, which is completely false, (the vulnerability allowed the ransomware to be extremely successful). Additionally, this part of the article is also revealing.

Not going to happen
Smith's blog post is somewhat utopian, as the Microsoft exec ignores the fact that creating cyber-weapons is the NSA and CIA's job, as their primary purpose is to defend the nation's interests, just like Chinese and Russian cyber-spooks do the same for their nations.
Such a utopian plan would need the cooperation of all states, something that few countries have an incentive to enter. There is no reason for the US to disarm and incapacitate itself in terms of cyber-weapons, if China and Russia don't do the same.


Gene
 

You haven't proven your point in the least.  The second section you quoted said that all countries should do it or it won't be done.  There is nothing pro U.S. in that statement.  It is simply stating conditions for something to occur. 
 
As for the first statement, it says NSA vulnerability.  It doesn't blame the NSA, but it says NSA vulnerability.  I don't know if blame is a proper concept to use in this context, no matter what one's political views are.  Why not blame those who released the information.  It is probably the case that the NSA should secure its information better and that it might make a lot more sense for the NSA to put considerably more resources into guarding the country against cyberattacks then on developing spying exploits.  But what does any of that have to do with being pro or antiAmerican.  Hacking is constant.  Two or three times a week, I see reports about large hacks of companies or other entities. It can be made much more difficult to steal information but information will always be stolen.   
 
You haven't proved your case.
 
Gene

----- Original Message -----
Sent: Monday, May 15, 2017 3:12 PM
Subject: [TechTalk] article: Microsoft Exec Blames WannaCry Ransomware on NSA Vulnerability Hoarding Program

hi,
This is an article on bleepingcomputer.
https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/news/government/microsoft-exec-blames-wannacry-ransomware-on-nsa-vulnerability-hoarding-program/

Covering the statment from a a microsoft offitial reguarding the
wannacry ransomware that spread through the NSA exploit. I recall gene
asking me to proove my asertion that bleeping computer is a pro-american
site. This article prooves it very well. Firsstly, the title "Microsoft
Exec Blames WannaCry Ransomware on NSA Vulnerability"  somehow implys
that the NSA vulnerability was not responsible for the ransomware's
spread, which is completely false, (the vulnerability allowed the
ransomware to be extremely successful). Additionally, this part of the
article is also revealing.
> Not going to happen
> Smith's blog post is somewhat utopian, as the Microsoft exec ignores
> the fact that creating cyber-weapons is the NSA and CIA's job, as
> their primary purpose is to defend the nation's interests, just like
> Chinese and Russian cyber-spooks do the same for their nations.
> Such a utopian plan would need the cooperation of all states,
> something that few countries have an incentive to enter. There is no
> reason for the US to disarm and incapacitate itself in terms of
> cyber-weapons, if China and Russia don't do the same.





enes sarıbaş
 

I have. The second part I quoted, atempts to justify the development of weaponized exploits by the NSA. Any person with a moderate command of english can planely understand this.


On 5/15/2017 11:51 PM, Gene wrote:
You haven't proven your point in the least.  The second section you quoted said that all countries should do it or it won't be done.  There is nothing pro U.S. in that statement.  It is simply stating conditions for something to occur. 
 
As for the first statement, it says NSA vulnerability.  It doesn't blame the NSA, but it says NSA vulnerability.  I don't know if blame is a proper concept to use in this context, no matter what one's political views are.  Why not blame those who released the information.  It is probably the case that the NSA should secure its information better and that it might make a lot more sense for the NSA to put considerably more resources into guarding the country against cyberattacks then on developing spying exploits.  But what does any of that have to do with being pro or antiAmerican.  Hacking is constant.  Two or three times a week, I see reports about large hacks of companies or other entities. It can be made much more difficult to steal information but information will always be stolen.   
 
You haven't proved your case.
 
Gene
----- Original Message -----
Sent: Monday, May 15, 2017 3:12 PM
Subject: [TechTalk] article: Microsoft Exec Blames WannaCry Ransomware on NSA Vulnerability Hoarding Program

hi,
This is an article on bleepingcomputer.
https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/news/government/microsoft-exec-blames-wannacry-ransomware-on-nsa-vulnerability-hoarding-program/

Covering the statment from a a microsoft offitial reguarding the
wannacry ransomware that spread through the NSA exploit. I recall gene
asking me to proove my asertion that bleeping computer is a pro-american
site. This article prooves it very well. Firsstly, the title "Microsoft
Exec Blames WannaCry Ransomware on NSA Vulnerability"  somehow implys
that the NSA vulnerability was not responsible for the ransomware's
spread, which is completely false, (the vulnerability allowed the
ransomware to be extremely successful). Additionally, this part of the
article is also revealing.
> Not going to happen
> Smith's blog post is somewhat utopian, as the Microsoft exec ignores
> the fact that creating cyber-weapons is the NSA and CIA's job, as
> their primary purpose is to defend the nation's interests, just like
> Chinese and Russian cyber-spooks do the same for their nations.
> Such a utopian plan would need the cooperation of all states,
> something that few countries have an incentive to enter. There is no
> reason for the US to disarm and incapacitate itself in terms of
> cyber-weapons, if China and Russia don't do the same.






Gene
 

That isn't what the second part of the article does.  I don't know where you consider the second part to begin but I'll quote the last few sentences.
Smith's blog post is somewhat utopian, as the Microsoft exec ignores the fact that creating cyber-weapons is the NSA and CIA's job, as their primary purpose is to defend the nation's interests, just like Chinese and Russian cyber-spooks do the same for their nations.
Such a utopian plan would need the cooperation of all states, something that few countries have an incentive to enter. There is no reason for the US to disarm and incapacitate itself in terms of cyber-weapons, if China and Russia don't do the same.
 
That isn't pro any government.  It is simply stating a fact.  It doesn't matter which nation it is, no nation wil one-sidedly disarm itself in any arena and how would you verify such disarmament even if such an agreement could be arrived at? 
 
If you are determined to find political positions in something, you'll find them, whether they are there or not.  This is a new area of warfare and any nation that can do so is preparing.
 
Gene
----- Original Message -----

Sent: Monday, May 15, 2017 4:02 PM
Subject: Re: [TechTalk] article: Microsoft Exec Blames WannaCry Ransomware on NSA Vulnerability Hoarding Program

I have. The second part I quoted, atempts to justify the development of weaponized exploits by the NSA. Any person with a moderate command of english can planely understand this.


On 5/15/2017 11:51 PM, Gene wrote:
You haven't proven your point in the least.  The second section you quoted said that all countries should do it or it won't be done.  There is nothing pro U.S. in that statement.  It is simply stating conditions for something to occur. 
 
As for the first statement, it says NSA vulnerability.  It doesn't blame the NSA, but it says NSA vulnerability.  I don't know if blame is a proper concept to use in this context, no matter what one's political views are.  Why not blame those who released the information.  It is probably the case that the NSA should secure its information better and that it might make a lot more sense for the NSA to put considerably more resources into guarding the country against cyberattacks then on developing spying exploits.  But what does any of that have to do with being pro or antiAmerican.  Hacking is constant.  Two or three times a week, I see reports about large hacks of companies or other entities. It can be made much more difficult to steal information but information will always be stolen.   
 
You haven't proved your case.
 
Gene
----- Original Message -----
Sent: Monday, May 15, 2017 3:12 PM
Subject: [TechTalk] article: Microsoft Exec Blames WannaCry Ransomware on NSA Vulnerability Hoarding Program

hi,
This is an article on bleepingcomputer.
https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/news/government/microsoft-exec-blames-wannacry-ransomware-on-nsa-vulnerability-hoarding-program/

Covering the statment from a a microsoft offitial reguarding the
wannacry ransomware that spread through the NSA exploit. I recall gene
asking me to proove my asertion that bleeping computer is a pro-american
site. This article prooves it very well. Firsstly, the title "Microsoft
Exec Blames WannaCry Ransomware on NSA Vulnerability"  somehow implys
that the NSA vulnerability was not responsible for the ransomware's
spread, which is completely false, (the vulnerability allowed the
ransomware to be extremely successful). Additionally, this part of the
article is also revealing.
> Not going to happen
> Smith's blog post is somewhat utopian, as the Microsoft exec ignores
> the fact that creating cyber-weapons is the NSA and CIA's job, as
> their primary purpose is to defend the nation's interests, just like
> Chinese and Russian cyber-spooks do the same for their nations.
> Such a utopian plan would need the cooperation of all states,
> something that few countries have an incentive to enter. There is no
> reason for the US to disarm and incapacitate itself in terms of
> cyber-weapons, if China and Russia don't do the same.