avast

Joe Giovanelli

Hi, List,

A while back someone recommended Avast as a good antivirus program.

I got it, and I started the setup. Shortly after, the screen seemed blank. I think that it must be completely graphical.

Unless I did something wrong, this won't work. What other programs do you recommend. I gather that Security Essentials is no longer a good choice.

Joe Giovanelli

Gene

It is debated whether security essentials is a good choice.  It has improved.  I don't know if it is good enough to be considered a good choice now but it's a much better choice than it was a year ago. 

Many people like Sophos (spelling) Home.  But when I went to the site recently and tried to set up an account, there was a captcha that was either not set up properly or which is inaccessible.  You may want to look at the site and see what you find out.  I don't mean inaccessible in the sense that you can use a program like Webvisum to get the captcha.  I mean that there was no edit field to fill out a captcha even if I could get one, which Webvisum couldn't do.  It said there was no image on the page.  If you can set up an account, you may like the program.

Gene

----- Original Message -----
Sent: Wednesday, May 17, 2017 6:04 PM
Subject: [TechTalk] avast

Hi, List,

I got it, and I started the setup. Shortly after, the screen seemed blank. I think that it must be completely graphical.

Unless I did something wrong, this won't work. What other programs do you recommend. I gather that Security Essentials is no longer a good choice.

Joe Giovanelli

Carlos

Windows Defender in Windows 10 has been receiving better reviews lately. Since that is basically the same as Security Essentials renamed, those improved ratings should apply to it as well. Whether that makes it a sufficient substitute for other more comprehensive options such as Avast, I can't say.

----- Original Message -----
To: <main@TechTalk.groups.io>
Sent: Wednesday, May 17, 2017 7:04 PM
Subject: [TechTalk] avast

Hi, List,

Joe Giovanelli