I need help finding a blind user friendly microwave

James Bentley

Hi everyone,

My stupid microwave just stopped working.  Its almost 6 years old but I didn’t need another strain on my budget quite right now.

What I had was a Panasonic 2.2 cubit foot oven with inverter technology.

It had raised lines on the touch pad so I was able to use it without sight or sticky tabs.  Or, what ever you call those things.  I never have liked braille dots or sticky stuff on a microwave because it just eventually comes off  And I think it looks tacky.

So, does anyone know of a microwave, preferably from Amazon that has lines or bumps or buttons so I can use it.  Something around 1.6 to 2.2 cubit feet.  The inverter technology is awesome so I will go for that again.

I will be extremely grateful if someone knows where I might find what I want.

Maybe some of you already have a microwave with buttons or lines on the control panel.  If so, please find out the brand and model.

Many thanks,

James B

.

If you have an Amazon echo device than the Amazon basics microwave would probably be a good choice. You can set up an ask Alexa button which will allow you to control the microwave through Voice.
Hope this helps,

Ashley Breger

On Nov 10, 2019, at 2:48 AM, James Bentley <bentleyj1952@...> wrote:

[...]

Ann Parsons

Hi all,

This is a hard request to fulfill because most microwaves that are in stores and so on have touchpads that are inaccessible. There are ways to make these accessible, but you don't want that, you say. I have the microwave from Blind Mice Mart that costs a fair bit, but is accessible. Don't know if there is anything that fits your specs.

Ann P.

--
Ann K. Parsons
Portal Tutoring

"All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost."

Gerald Levy

If you want another large capacity microwave with inverter technology, then your only choice would be a Panasonic model.  I suggest searching on Amazon for a Panasonic model with inverter technology that is the same size as your current unit.  There's a good chance that it will have the same or similar tacile keypad.  Then once you find a model you're interested in, download its instruction manual, which may describe the keypad in more detail so that you can determine whether it has the same tactile features as your current microwave.  I am not aware of any other brands whose microwaves have tactile markings on the keypad; they all have standard, flat membrane keypads that would have to be labeled with tactile markers to make them accessible.  And only Panasonic makes microwaves with inverter technology, which is a proprietary technology unique to Panasonic , although other brands may offer models with a similar technology that do not have tactile keypads.  The Amazon Basics microwave that is controllable with an Echo device is only 0.7 cubic feet in capacity and would probably be too small and underpowered for your needs.

Gerald

On 11/10/2019 6:09 AM, Ashley Breger via Groups.Io wrote:
[...]

I've been digging around. It looks like I will just have to mark the oven
with braille dots or whatever.

Thanks for your post.

James B

This is a hard request to fulfill because most microwaves that are in
stores and so on have touchpads that are inaccessible. There are ways
to make these accessible, but you don't want that, you say. I have the
microwave from Blind Mice Mart that costs a fair bit, but is
accessible. Don't know if there is anything that fits your specs.

Ann P.

--
Ann K. Parsons
Portal Tutoring
EMAIL: akp@sero.email
Skype: Putertutor

"All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost."

jan howells <gale7978@...>

I wonder when Best Buy will begin to sell the Amazon Basics Microwave.

jan howells <gale7978@...>

Is there any such thing, any more, as a microwave with tactile buttons? If so, I am gain. The talking ones are very pricy. I always wanted a talking microwave, but it does not fit my budget.

Jan

James Bentley

After looking a lot at Panasonic ovens at Amazon, it looks like they are no longer manufacturing  units with tactile controls.  I may have to give in and check in to what people are using to mark the flat membrane touchh pads.  Maybe there is something available that will work out OK.

Thanks for posting your opinion,

James B

[...]

Ron Canazzi

Hi Group,

Adding to what aply and Gerald have said: after you find the Panasonic model (or whatever other model) fits your needs, you can call the Amazon disability line to make sure you're getting what you want. They are very helpful there and if you ask them to describe any graphics or pictures concerning any device of appliance, they are more than happy to do so.

If you need the disability line phone number, the number is:
1-888-283-1678

On 11/10/2019 6:57 AM, Gerald Levy via Groups.Io wrote:

[...]

They Ask Me If I'm Happy; I say Yes.
They ask: "How Happy are You?"

James Bentley

I posted a question on the product page of the microwave that I am interested in.  A customer replied saying that the membrane is flat.  However, I will phone Amazon’s Disability number tomorrow morning and double check.  And, maybe they will find what I need.

Now, I have a new query. What options are available for marking a smooth touchpad?  I would rather pay for a quality product that will stay on the touchpad than buy something that will just make a sticky mess.

Do any of you have any suggestions?

Cheers,

James B

[...]

Kay Malmquist

I have not seen this one yet, but it sounds interesting.
This Microwave is Alexa enabled and it is 1.5 Cubic Ft, can cook a 5-pound
chicken or most anything in it. It is a microwave, air fryer, Convection
oven and food warmer.

Rated power

1,000W microwave, 1,400W convection cook, 1,300W warming element

Power levels

10 microwave power levels

Apparently, there are tactile marks on the keypad and it has 30 presets and
a temperature probe.

Just go to the Amazon.com site
In the search box enter:
Amazon Smart Oven

You will then see a list of items where each has a Heading

There are more technical details there.

Kay Malmquist
kay.malmquist@gmail.com
Switch your mentality from "I'm broken and helpless," to "I'm growing and
healing," and watch how fast your life changes, for the better.
Unknown

This is a hard request to fulfill because most microwaves that are in
stores and so on have touchpads that are inaccessible. There are ways
to make these accessible, but you don't want that, you say. I have the
microwave from Blind Mice Mart that costs a fair bit, but is
accessible. Don't know if there is anything that fits your specs.

Ann P.

--
Ann K. Parsons
Portal Tutoring
EMAIL: akp@sero.email
Skype: Putertutor

"All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost."

James Bentley

I bet this smart oven has a very smart price too. But, you got my curiosity
up. I'm going to Amazon now.

Thanks,

James B

This is a hard request to fulfill because most microwaves that are in
stores and so on have touchpads that are inaccessible. There are ways
to make these accessible, but you don't want that, you say. I have the
microwave from Blind Mice Mart that costs a fair bit, but is
accessible. Don't know if there is anything that fits your specs.

Ann P.

--
Ann K. Parsons
Portal Tutoring
EMAIL: akp@sero.email
Skype: Putertutor

"All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost."

Dave

Hello James,

You might try your local Thrift Store.  Not only do they get older
Models, but they are a Lot Cheaper for someone with a limited Budget.

When you pay $25 for a replacement, give it a couple of good deep
cleanings, and then mark it up so you can use it.  Use it until the
Budget allows the purchase of something New and more to your liking.

Think of the Replacement Oven as a Temporary situation.

James Bentley

This sounds interesting. Its certainly a good price at $250. And, it comes
with an Echo Dot. I would buy it but it doesn't have inverter technology.
What a bummer.

Here is a link for any one who is interested.

https://www.amazon.com/Introducing-Amazon-Certified-Humans-device/dp/B07XSCB
SN5/ref=sr_1_3?keywords=Amazon+Smart+Oven&qid=1573396232&sr=8-3

James B

This is a hard request to fulfill because most microwaves that are in
stores and so on have touchpads that are inaccessible. There are ways
to make these accessible, but you don't want that, you say. I have the
microwave from Blind Mice Mart that costs a fair bit, but is
accessible. Don't know if there is anything that fits your specs.

Ann P.

--
Ann K. Parsons
Portal Tutoring
EMAIL: akp@sero.email
Skype: Putertutor

"All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost."

Gerald Levy

The problem is that the customer serveice agent may not know any more about the design of the keypad than what is contained in the product description or instruction manual.  It might be hard to tell from a picture whether the keypad is tactile.  You would probably have to see and feel the unit yourself at an appliance store to know for sure, or else call Panasonic directly to find out whether any of their microwaves still have tactile keypads.

Gerald

On 11/10/2019 8:54 AM, Ron Canazzi wrote:
[...]

It appears your resistance to marking the touch pad is due to apprehension about how well it will work.  I can't discuss how easy it is to use such a marked touchpad with modern microwave ovens, others will have to do so.  But as far as products to use, there are different methods people use.  One method is that you can purchase dots from distributors of products for blind people.  You can get them of different sizes.  I know that one kind is called Lock Dots.  I don't know if other brands are available.  But the point is that they have adhesive on the back and you just stick them on the surface.  Getting an using such products isn't a problem.

You might try your local Thrift Store.  Not only do they get older
Models, but they are a Lot Cheaper for someone with a limited Budget.

When you pay $25 for a replacement, give it a couple of good deep
cleanings, and then mark it up so you can use it.  Use it until the
Budget allows the purchase of something New and more to your liking.

Think of the Replacement Oven as a Temporary situation.

Kay Malmquist

Inverter technology sounds great and it's about time they started doing
this. I'm used to not having it so it won't be a hardship for me. But I
can sure understand that this would make a difference and how you would
feel. If I used that feature more, I'd be a bit more prone to wanting it.
In my life, I'm trying to do away with the microwave as much as possible but
it is still handy for some things.

[...]

iram shabbir

i bought the simple oven of moving buttons i just pasted some pearls with it.