The Time has come to move this Topic elsewhere

Dave

Hello to the List-

Carlos has been very accommodating and Gracious to allow some of us to
conduct a conversation about a subject that never had anything to do
with Technology.
--
It is a topic that touches all of us, as I would guess that each one of
us have experienced the "Special Treatment" given to us for no other

Gene spoke of the underlying Fear of Blindness, and some of the
ramifications this Fear has when the sighted need to interact with those
who are Blind. I thought Gene was Hitting some Nails right on the Head.

As interesting as this subject is, and it has other Branches we haven't
even gotten to, such as Why don't the Blind Scream and Yell about the
other Special Treatment the Blind receive, such as the Tax break on our
Income Taxes, or when some get their Computers and other Gear paid for
by the State etc. Seems to me, some enjoy the Extra benefits that come
with Blindness, but Scream like Crazy when they get restricted from
something they believe they have the Right to do. I find this to be
one of those ironic things that rolls around in the back of my mind when
some blind complain about some small thing they believe to be
discriminatory. And what Cliff experienced is not a Small thing.

This conversation needs to be moved to a List that is all about any
topic that might come to mind.

I've been told of one called Blind Life. I know nothing about it, other
than it started up last December, and is open to Topics not in alinement
with this Tech Lists guidelines.

I am not trying to steal members, I am only telling of another list that
handles other subjects than Tech. By all means, stay subscribed here,
and if interested, subscribe to the other list too.

Here is the Subscription information.

Send an email like this one:

blindlife+subscribe@groups.io

Now back to your normally scheduled subject matter=

Grumpy Dave

Dennis L <dennisl1982@...>

There is a chat sub group for this group why not move it there?

[...]

Carlos

LOL no one ever wants to join the chat list just to continue an off topic conversation. I've given up on suggesting it.

[...]

enes sarıbaş

hi,
You say that it seems ironic that blind people don't apose afirmative action, or preferential treatment for areas in which they have substantial disadvantage, while aposing the negative treatment they receive. I should ask, what is ironic about this? Can you honestly say that a blind person has the same opertunities and is at the same level as a sighted person for anything. The truth of the matter is, a blind person is at a disadvantage for almost every single thing they do or atempt. The denial of this by some of the blind and the blindness organizations won't change this fact. Treating everyone as if they were the same, regardless of their circomstances isn't equality, it can even be considered discrimination. For instance, our PE instructor in middleschool, would instruct everyone to run 10 laps around the gym. However, you cannot expect a person with a heart condition to do this. Taking your example of computers, do you think that not having a computer is the same for a blind and sighted person? A blind person literally does everything through the computer. It is a blind person's access to information. However, a sighted person does not need a computer to access information, as they can utilize the many printed resources for this. For this reason, I can say that this is justified.

On 6/4/2017 7:22 PM, Dave wrote:
Hello to the List-

Carlos has been very accommodating and Gracious to allow some of us to
conduct a conversation about a subject that never had anything to do
with Technology.

Carlos

LOL come on guys. Give me a break. It's time to move on now.

On 6/4/2017 7:22 PM, Dave wrote:
Hello to the List-

Carlos has been very accommodating and Gracious to allow some of us to
conduct a conversation about a subject that never had anything to do
with Technology.

Gene

Blindness organizations don't necessarily oppose affirmative action.  I don't know what their stance is in your country but the NFB is a firm advocate of affirmative action.  I don't know what the ACB's position is.

And someone talked about people hiding in blindness organizations.  Again, I don't know what organizations you are familiar with but it's anything but hiding in the NFB and I would imagine the ACB doesn't hide either.

Blind people have political, social, and economic interests in common.  Good advocacy organizations work on such things.

Sent: Sunday, June 04, 2017 2:26 PM

On 6/4/2017 7:22 PM, Dave wrote:
> Hello to the List-
>
> Carlos has been very accommodating and Gracious to allow some of us to
> conduct a conversation about a subject that never had anything to do
> with Technology.

enes sarıbaş

hi,

I was making a general statement, and refering to the organizations in my country mostly. They claim that you have to apose both negative and posetive action by the public.

Sent: Sunday, June 04, 2017 2:26 PM

On 6/4/2017 7:22 PM, Dave wrote:
> Hello to the List-
>
> Carlos has been very accommodating and Gracious to allow some of us to
> conduct a conversation about a subject that never had anything to do
> with Technology.

Ann Parsons

Hi all,

there's always blind-x too.

Ann P.

--
Ann K. Parsons
Portal Tutoring

"All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost."

David Ferrin <dpf.1996@...>

Do what we do on JAWS Users, my guys know where the kick switch is located and how to use it.

Then we get accused of being heavy handed but then again everybody is not going to like you for some reason or another. I still sleep well at night.

Remind me again why we do what we do.

[...]

LOL I've never had to forcefully close a topic so far. I would do it if it was necessary, but probably only as a last resort. Although I agree that you can't win. Close an off topic thread too forcefully, and you're accused of being heavy-handed. Don't close it soon enough, and you'll have people leaving the list or complaining that it's off topic. I sleep comfortably enough as well.

[...]

Rajmund <brajmund2000@...>

LOL kicking people for off topic posts, particularly when there are like 10 of them doing it, is not really a viable solution, sorry... Locking the topic, yes, that's another thing entirely, which I agree with.

[...]

Jim Wohlgamuth

suggestion, has it been suggested that we take this topic to the chat group where I believe it should have been in the first place..? Sound like a good discussion for that group.  Just an idea ! Have a Great Day! de

<KF8LT><Jim>.

On 05-Jun-17 09:18, Rajmund wrote:
[...]

Yes, it has been suggested.  It is almost always suggested when this happens, but as I said members are not usually interested in subscribing to the chat list just to continue an off topic discussion.  Besides, such threads usually taper off on their own or with a gentle reminder as this one seems to have so I'm not overly concerned.

[...]

Pinky <pinky14@...>

Hi,

I came into this subject late. What topic are we talking about that we want to stop talking about?

Mr. Ed

[...]

Ron Canazzi

Well, I sent my last 2 messages on the topic before I saw the topic closure message: sorry!

On 6/5/2017 9:18 AM, Rajmund wrote:
[...]

They Ask Me If I'm Happy; I say Yes.
They ask: "How Happy are You?"

Carlos

No worries Ron. I understand it takes a while for everyone to catch up with newer posts.

[...]

Pamela Dominguez

Sorry I am behind in mail, so there are a couple of messages from me. I will shut up now. Pam.

[...]

---
http://www.avg.com

Josh Kennedy

I'm just now catching up on my mail having taken a break from the computer for a few days. I guess I did restart the topic again though having not seen the later messages.