Dropped Hard Drive

Eleni Vamvakari

I know that this is not specifically related to technology for the
blind, but I am really hoping that someone here can help me.

I have an external usb hard drive that I dropped onto the floor
yesterday. When I plug it into my computers, I can feel it vibrate,
so I know that it is being activated, but it isn't showing up under My
Computer in either Windows 7 or XP. However, it is displayed in the
Removable Devices of VMware Player, and it always makes the connecting
sound. Every few minutes, I also hear something similar to the sound
that my netbook makes when I turn it off using the power button. It's
not a beep or a real mechanical click. I have all of my daily files
saved to my 64gb thumb drive, but I stored extra ones on this drive,
including some sensitive information, and audio recordings of my
family, which are like photographs to me.

At any rate, after I researched the problem, I determined that I need
to have this fixed professionally. But I am nervous about anyone
handling my personal information. Is there any kind of contract that
companies or technicians can sign to garantee that they won't copy,
read, or otherwise use it? Does anyone here work in this field? If
not, can anyone recommend someone trustworthy or a well-known company
that I can use? I am in New Jersey. What would be the cost of
recovering my data? Usually, I need anywhere from a 60gb to a 120gb
hard drive, but this one is 2tb, if that matters. If I am wrong, and
there is a way for me to fix this, please tell me. Finally, can
anyone recommend a shock-resistant external drive that I can use?
Assuming that these files are recoverable, I will store them to the
new drive until I can delete the ones that I don't need, which will be
many. So just to be on the safe side, it should probably be around
500gb. I don't want to spend over $150, at the absolute most. I
also have no interest in the cloud or in bluetooth devices.

Thank you,
Eleni

--
Facebook: elvam2167@gmail.com

Skype: elvam2167

Carlos

Hi Eleni,

First, the list is not restricted to technology for the blind. Although accessibility is the primary focus, discussions about technology in general are acceptable.

As for the problem with your drive, it is worth keeping in mind that all external drives are just standard hard drives in an enclosure. That being the case, it is at least possible that only the enclosure has been damaged. If so, then you can just remove the drive from it's current enclosure and purchase a new one. Although with drive manufacturer specific enclosures, there may or may not be screws holding it together so some carefully applied force may be required to pry it open. And again this is not a guaranteed fix. It won't work if the drive itself has been damaged, but it may be worth a try since it will save you a lot of money if the problem is only the enclosure.

[...]

David Moore <jesusloves1966@...>

Hi all,

I have wanted to talk about external drives. I have an external drive, but it is not technically a external Hard Drive. I can save and back up anything on this terabyte external Drive, but I cannot get my computer to install programs on it. Is there a way to get my external drive to install programs so I have a terabyte hard drive, for example. Is there a difference between a external drive that you can only save things on and one where you can use as a true Hard Drive? I would greatly appreciate your apinions on this, carlos, and everyone else. My small laptop HP Stream only has a 32 Gig SSD drive. If I could use my external drive to get a Terabyte Hard drive, that would be so exciting, I would do a dance LOL!

It is a Toshiba external drive from radio shack for $80

David Moore

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

>I know that this is not specifically related to technology for the

> blind, but I am really hoping that someone here can help me.

> I have an external usb hard drive that I dropped onto the floor

> yesterday.  When I plug it into my computers, I can feel it vibrate,

> so I know that it is being activated, but it isn't showing up under My

> Computer in either Windows 7 or XP.  However, it is displayed in the

> Removable Devices of VMware Player, and it always makes the connecting

> sound.  Every few minutes, I also hear something similar to the sound

> that my netbook makes when I turn it off using the power button.  It's

> not a beep or a real mechanical click.  I have all of my daily files

> saved to my 64gb thumb drive, but I stored extra ones on this drive,

> including some sensitive information, and audio recordings of my

> family, which are like photographs to me.

> At any rate, after I researched the problem, I determined that I need

> to have this fixed professionally.  But I am nervous about anyone

> handling my personal information.  Is there any kind of contract that

> companies or technicians can sign to garantee that they won't copy,

> read, or otherwise use it?  Does anyone here work in this field?  If

> not, can anyone recommend someone trustworthy or a well-known company

> that I can use?  I am in New Jersey.  What would be the cost of

> recovering my data?  Usually, I need anywhere from a 60gb to a 120gb

> hard drive, but this one is 2tb, if that matters.  If I am wrong, and

> there is a way for me to fix this, please tell me.  Finally, can

> anyone recommend a shock-resistant external drive that I can use?

> Assuming that these files are recoverable, I will store them to the

> new drive until I can delete the ones that I don't need, which will be

> many.  So just to be on the safe side, it should probably be around

> 500gb.  I don't want to spend over $150, at the absolute most.    I

> also have no interest in the cloud or in bluetooth devices.

> Thank you,

> Eleni

> --

> Facebook: elvam2167@...

> Skype: elvam2167

David Ferrin <dpf.1996@...>

I dropped an external drive once and only the case got damaged. The drive was fine which BTW was an internal drive in an external case that is now in its' third home so to speak.

[...]

I'm not sure what you mean when you say, "I have an external drive, but it is not technically a external Hard Drive.".  An external drive is an external drive.  Please clarify.  As for installing programs on an external drive, there is no reason why this can't be done.  Although it may cause issues in some cases.  For example, when the drive is not connected and a program is configured to run at startup.  Or with programs which insist on installing files into the Windows folder or other folders located on the system drive.  In other words, it will work well with some programs and not with others.  Some experimentation may be required, especially with more complex installations.

>I know that this is not specifically related to technology for the

> blind, but I am really hoping that someone here can help me.

> I have an external usb hard drive that I dropped onto the floor

> yesterday.  When I plug it into my computers, I can feel it vibrate,

> so I know that it is being activated, but it isn't showing up under My

> Computer in either Windows 7 or XP.  However, it is displayed in the

> Removable Devices of VMware Player, and it always makes the connecting

> sound.  Every few minutes, I also hear something similar to the sound

> that my netbook makes when I turn it off using the power button.  It's

> not a beep or a real mechanical click.  I have all of my daily files

> saved to my 64gb thumb drive, but I stored extra ones on this drive,

> including some sensitive information, and audio recordings of my

> family, which are like photographs to me.

> At any rate, after I researched the problem, I determined that I need

> to have this fixed professionally.  But I am nervous about anyone

> handling my personal information.  Is there any kind of contract that

> companies or technicians can sign to garantee that they won't copy,

> read, or otherwise use it?  Does anyone here work in this field?  If

> not, can anyone recommend someone trustworthy or a well-known company

> that I can use?  I am in New Jersey.  What would be the cost of

> recovering my data?  Usually, I need anywhere from a 60gb to a 120gb

> hard drive, but this one is 2tb, if that matters.  If I am wrong, and

> there is a way for me to fix this, please tell me.  Finally, can

> anyone recommend a shock-resistant external drive that I can use?

> Assuming that these files are recoverable, I will store them to the

> new drive until I can delete the ones that I don't need, which will be

> many.  So just to be on the safe side, it should probably be around

> 500gb.  I don't want to spend over $150, at the absolute most.    I

> also have no interest in the cloud or in bluetooth devices.

> Thank you,

> Eleni

> --

> Facebook: elvam2167@...

> Skype: elvam2167

Eleni Vamvakari

For what it's worth, I am totally blind, and while I have been using
computers for 21 years, it is strictly as an end user, not as a
programmer or builder. I read that it may be possible to disconnect a
hard drive and put it in a new enclosure, but I also read that this
should be done strictly by a professional, as they use rooms with
purified air and humidity controls. At any rate, this is a comment
that I received in the BVI Tech Support on Facebook. I received
permission by the author to repost it here.

"Martin Lee Ralfe
Firstly Hello! I have worked in the IT industry for over 7 years
(since I was 16) also Microsoft certified.

In terms of practical assistance I can not offer any as I'm in the UK
however what I can tell you is: as I am assuming this a mechanical
hard drive (not a solid state drive or flash based) it does sound like
the drive plata (where your data is stored) has been scratched or
damaged by the read/write head when it had been dropped.

This unfortunately means Windows will not detect the drive has the
hard drive can not present any data the reason you are hearing the
connecting sound and drive activation is because the drive connector /
controller is not damaged and will continue to attempt turning itself
on, the noise you hear every few minutes like a computer turning off
will just be the controller on the drive failing after a time out and
force restarting.

Imagine it like a car turning on with a broken clutch or gear box the
engine will still run but it won't move.

As far as recovering your data goes I do not know how much vision you
have but free programs exist that you can boot your computer to like
hirens boot cd which contains a plethora of file recovery tools though
I must admit this is a very advanced program and even with guides data
recovery is not the easiest of tasks.

If you choose to pay someone to do it you could insist on a contract /
terms though unfortunately the nature of data recovery does mean the
data will have to be looked st and examined to ensure it is intact
which does mean presuming the data can be saved they will have to look
at and copy your files.

Finally the size of the drive does matter on cost as an example it can
cost upwards of £100 (UK) to recover even 200GB of data.

As far as a new external drive goes no hard disk drive is drop proof
but if you are willing to pay large flash drives or external SSDs may
be a better option.

Hope this helps"

Since it goes by the size of the drive, can I have them just scan
specific folders? When he says that the files must be examined, must
they be opened, played, etc. or can they be automatically scanned for
integrity?

I just tried to use Recuver on the drive, but it didn't recognise it
either. If I do get a flash drive or an ssd drive, how much would
that cost? It doesn't need to be the latest and greatest either, as
long as it works. I stayed away from those because I thought the cost
would be far too high for my budget.

Thanks,
Eleni

On 11/06/2017, David Ferrin via Groups.Io <dpf.1996=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:
[...]

Mike B. <mb69mach1@...>

Carlos said, "there may or may not be screws holding it together so some carefully applied
force may be required to pry it open."

I assume you don't mean a large crowbar, & a small sledge hammer?!  LOL  LOL
Take care.  Mike.  Go Dodgers!
Sent from my iBarstool.

Sent: Sunday, June 11, 2017 4:55 PM

I dropped an external drive once and only the case got damaged. The drive
was fine which BTW was an internal drive in an external case that is now in
its' third home so to speak.

>I know that this is not specifically related to technology for the
> blind, but I am really hoping that someone here can help me.
>
> I have an external usb hard drive that I dropped onto the floor
> yesterday.  When I plug it into my computers, I can feel it vibrate,
> so I know that it is being activated, but it isn't showing up under My
> Computer in either Windows 7 or XP.  However, it is displayed in the
> Removable Devices of VMware Player, and it always makes the connecting
> sound.  Every few minutes, I also hear something similar to the sound
> that my netbook makes when I turn it off using the power button.  It's
> not a beep or a real mechanical click.  I have all of my daily files
> saved to my 64gb thumb drive, but I stored extra ones on this drive,
> including some sensitive information, and audio recordings of my
> family, which are like photographs to me.
>
> At any rate, after I researched the problem, I determined that I need
> to have this fixed professionally.  But I am nervous about anyone
> handling my personal information.  Is there any kind of contract that
> companies or technicians can sign to garantee that they won't copy,
> read, or otherwise use it?  Does anyone here work in this field?  If
> not, can anyone recommend someone trustworthy or a well-known company
> that I can use?  I am in New Jersey.  What would be the cost of
> recovering my data?  Usually, I need anywhere from a 60gb to a 120gb
> hard drive, but this one is 2tb, if that matters.  If I am wrong, and
> there is a way for me to fix this, please tell me.  Finally, can
> anyone recommend a shock-resistant external drive that I can use?
> Assuming that these files are recoverable, I will store them to the
> new drive until I can delete the ones that I don't need, which will be
> many.  So just to be on the safe side, it should probably be around
> 500gb.  I don't want to spend over $150, at the absolute most.    I
> also have no interest in the cloud or in bluetooth devices.
>
> Thank you,
> Eleni
>
> --
> Facebook: elvam2167@...
>
> Skype: elvam2167

Gene

Any drive can fail at any time.  The thing to do is not to worry about the kind of drive, I see no reason to get a solid state drive for backing up or keeping files on externally.  but whatever you do you should always have at least two copies of every file you don't want to lose on two different items.  for example, you might have one copy on your internal hard drive and one on an external hard drive.  Or you could have one copy on one external hard drive and another copy on another external hard drive.

I can't help with your other questions about recovering data.

Also, I said at least two copies because I've often seen computer advisors say that people should have three copies in three different places.  You'll have to decide if two or three is enough for you.

Sent: Sunday, June 11, 2017 7:21 PM

--
Facebook: elvam2167@...

Skype: elvam2167

Carlos

That information is not inaccurate, but it is incomplete. If only the
enclosure is damaged, removing the drive and placing it into a new enclosure
does not require special facilities. Such facilities would only be required
if the drive itself were going to be dismantled for repairs. I am speaking
from personal experience and as you can see based on at least one other
reply so far, this is a procedure which can be performed by almost anyone
with minimal technical skills.

[...]

Oh believe me, I keep the files that I normally use in at least two
computers, my thumbdrive, and my external hard drive. These are extra
files that I don't normally use, varius programs etc. that I
downloaded, and things from my life that I recorded and needed to sort
through before deciding what to delete and what to keep. I might just
get another computer on which I can store everything. I like older
ones, so it shouldn't be expensive at all, especially if it's a
desktop and not a laptop. I want another real XP machine anyway.

On 11/06/2017, Carlos <carlos1106@nyc.rr.com> wrote:
[...]

Hi Carlos!

I did not know if some external drives were just for storage. Okay, it is an external drive. How would I tell a program to install on the external drive instead of my hard drive in my computer? Thanks a lot! If I can install programs on the external drive, this is exciting. If you could tell me how to do that, I would greatly appreciate it!

David Moore

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

I'm not sure what you mean when you say, "I have an external drive, but it is not technically a external Hard Drive.".  An external drive is an external drive.  Please clarify.  As for installing programs on an external drive, there is no reason why this can't be done.  Although it may cause issues in some cases.  For example, when the drive is not connected and a program is configured to run at startup.  Or with programs which insist on installing files into the Windows folder or other folders located on the system drive.  In other words, it will work well with some programs and not with others.  Some experimentation may be required, especially with more complex installations.

>I know that this is not specifically related to technology for the

> blind, but I am really hoping that someone here can help me.

> I have an external usb hard drive that I dropped onto the floor

> yesterday.  When I plug it into my computers, I can feel it vibrate,

> so I know that it is being activated, but it isn't showing up under My

> Computer in either Windows 7 or XP.  However, it is displayed in the

> Removable Devices of VMware Player, and it always makes the connecting

> sound.  Every few minutes, I also hear something similar to the sound

> that my netbook makes when I turn it off using the power button.  It's

> not a beep or a real mechanical click.  I have all of my daily files

> saved to my 64gb thumb drive, but I stored extra ones on this drive,

> including some sensitive information, and audio recordings of my

> family, which are like photographs to me.

> At any rate, after I researched the problem, I determined that I need

> to have this fixed professionally.  But I am nervous about anyone

> handling my personal information.  Is there any kind of contract that

> companies or technicians can sign to garantee that they won't copy,

> read, or otherwise use it?  Does anyone here work in this field?  If

> not, can anyone recommend someone trustworthy or a well-known company

> that I can use?  I am in New Jersey.  What would be the cost of

> recovering my data?  Usually, I need anywhere from a 60gb to a 120gb

> hard drive, but this one is 2tb, if that matters.  If I am wrong, and

> there is a way for me to fix this, please tell me.  Finally, can

> anyone recommend a shock-resistant external drive that I can use?

> Assuming that these files are recoverable, I will store them to the

> new drive until I can delete the ones that I don't need, which will be

> many.  So just to be on the safe side, it should probably be around

> 500gb.  I don't want to spend over $150, at the absolute most.    I

> also have no interest in the cloud or in bluetooth devices.

> Thank you,

> Eleni

> --

> Facebook: elvam2167@...

> Skype: elvam2167

Carlos

It depends on the program's setup routine so I can't give you exact instructions, but most installers have a fairly obvious option for selecting the location where you would like the program to be installed.  Also, there are many portable applications which will work from any location without the need to install them at all.

> [...]

> companies or technicians can sign to garantee that they won't copy,

> read, or otherwise use it?  Does anyone here work in this field?  If

> not, can anyone recommend someone trustworthy or a well-known company

> that I can use?  I am in New Jersey.  What would be the cost of

> recovering my data?  Usually, I need anywhere from a 60gb to a 120gb

> hard drive, but this one is 2tb, if that matters.  If I am wrong, and

> there is a way for me to fix this, please tell me.  Finally, can

> anyone recommend a shock-resistant external drive that I can use?

> Assuming that these files are recoverable, I will store them to the

> new drive until I can delete the ones that I don't need, which will be

> many.  So just to be on the safe side, it should probably be around

> 500gb.  I don't want to spend over $150, at the absolute most.    I

> also have no interest in the cloud or in bluetooth devices.

Eleni Vamvakari

A friend suggested that I try Linux. I have Vinux in a virtual
machine, but basically just to try it out. I know next to nothing
about how to use it, though I am familiar with MSDOS if that helps. I
start it under Mate and plugged in the hard drive. It saw it and
tried to open it, but then said that it couldn't mount the drive,
because it wasn't closed properly in Windows. Then, it gave three
reasons why, and said something about rebooting twice with Windows
using /f. I don't remember the exact message and don't know enough
about using Orca (the built-in screen reader) to review it in more
detail. When I looked under Computer again, the drive didn't show up.

--

Rob <captinlogic@...>

Carlos <carlos1106@nyc.rr.com> wrote:
That information is not inaccurate, but it is incomplete. If only the
enclosure is damaged, removing the drive and placing it into a new enclosure
does not require special facilities.
I believe the original poster was thinking the metal part of the drive itself as the enclosure, not the plastic part in which the drive itself is stored, connected via USB. Taking out the platters from the hard drive itself does indeed require special facilities. Replacing a drive from one USB enclosure to another does not.

Carlos

Indeed. Like I said, not inaccurate. Just incomplete.

That information is not inaccurate, but it is incomplete. If only the
enclosure is damaged, removing the drive and placing it into a new enclosure
does not require special facilities.
I believe the original poster was thinking the metal part of the drive itself as the enclosure, not the plastic part in which the drive itself is stored, connected via USB. Taking out the platters from the hard drive itself does indeed require special facilities. Replacing a drive from one USB enclosure to another does not.

Gene

It isn't a question of how often you use files.  Anything you don't want to lose or even anything you think you might not want to lose should be backed up.  You don't need another computer to protect files.  Just using two external hard drives would be fine.

The reason I say it doesn't matter how often you use files has nothing to do with whether they are backed up is that using files doesn't risk that they will be lost.  Loss results in things such as hard drive failure or damage to hard drives.

Some malware may cause you to lose some or all of your files.

Sent: Sunday, June 11, 2017 7:50 PM

--
Facebook: elvam2167@...

Skype: elvam2167

Gene

What benefits do you anticipate from storing programs on external drives.  I see none.

Most programs take up little room and programs don't account for much space on hard drives even if a lot of them are installed.  And you can't just take a hard drive to a different computer and run the programs in most cases.  Most programs make entries in the registry and you need to install them for use on the specific machine you will use them on regardless of what hard drive they are installed to.

I'm not sure what you mean when you say, "I have an external drive, but it is not technically a external Hard Drive.".  An external drive is an external drive.  Please clarify.  As for installing programs on an external drive, there is no reason why this can't be done.  Although it may cause issues in some cases.  For example, when the drive is not connected and a program is configured to run at startup.  Or with programs which insist on installing files into the Windows folder or other folders located on the system drive.  In other words, it will work well with some programs and not with others.  Some experimentation may be required, especially with more complex installations.

>I know that this is not specifically related to technology for the

> blind, but I am really hoping that someone here can help me.

> I have an external usb hard drive that I dropped onto the floor

> yesterday.  When I plug it into my computers, I can feel it vibrate,

> so I know that it is being activated, but it isn't showing up under My

> Computer in either Windows 7 or XP.  However, it is displayed in the

> Removable Devices of VMware Player, and it always makes the connecting

> sound.  Every few minutes, I also hear something similar to the sound

> that my netbook makes when I turn it off using the power button.  It's

> not a beep or a real mechanical click.  I have all of my daily files

> saved to my 64gb thumb drive, but I stored extra ones on this drive,

> including some sensitive information, and audio recordings of my

> family, which are like photographs to me.

> At any rate, after I researched the problem, I determined that I need

> to have this fixed professionally.  But I am nervous about anyone

> handling my personal information.  Is there any kind of contract that

> companies or technicians can sign to garantee that they won't copy,

> read, or otherwise use it?  Does anyone here work in this field?  If

> not, can anyone recommend someone trustworthy or a well-known company

> that I can use?  I am in New Jersey.  What would be the cost of

> recovering my data?  Usually, I need anywhere from a 60gb to a 120gb

> hard drive, but this one is 2tb, if that matters.  If I am wrong, and

> there is a way for me to fix this, please tell me.  Finally, can

> anyone recommend a shock-resistant external drive that I can use?

> Assuming that these files are recoverable, I will store them to the

> new drive until I can delete the ones that I don't need, which will be

> many.  So just to be on the safe side, it should probably be around

> 500gb.  I don't want to spend over $150, at the absolute most.    I

> also have no interest in the cloud or in bluetooth devices.

> Thank you,

> Eleni

> --

> Facebook: elvam2167@...

> Skype: elvam2167

David Moore <jesusloves1966@...>

Hi Gene!

This little HP Stream only has a 32 GB SSD drive, and I can only use 28 GB. Believe me, 28 GB goes fast with win10 on here, JAWS, NVDA, VLC Media player, and much more. I do not have a lot on this SSD drive, because there is not enough room LOL! I love this little computer, and want to run more programs on this computer by using my external drive, because it is very small as well. My other laptop does not have a battery anymore. That is why I want to run programs from my external drive on this 32 GB SSD computer.

Have a great one.

> [...]

> companies or technicians can sign to garantee that they won't copy,

> read, or otherwise use it?  Does anyone here work in this field?  If

> not, can anyone recommend someone trustworthy or a well-known company

> that I can use?  I am in New Jersey.  What would be the cost of

> recovering my data?  Usually, I need anywhere from a 60gb to a 120gb

> hard drive, but this one is 2tb, if that matters.  If I am wrong, and

> there is a way for me to fix this, please tell me.  Finally, can

> anyone recommend a shock-resistant external drive that I can use?

> Assuming that these files are recoverable, I will store them to the

> new drive until I can delete the ones that I don't need, which will be

> many.  So just to be on the safe side, it should probably be around

> 500gb.  I don't want to spend over $150, at the absolute most.    I

> also have no interest in the cloud or in bluetooth devices.

Gene

Now I understand why you want to do so.

> [...]

> companies or technicians can sign to garantee that they won't copy,

> read, or otherwise use it?  Does anyone here work in this field?  If

> not, can anyone recommend someone trustworthy or a well-known company

> that I can use?  I am in New Jersey.  What would be the cost of

> recovering my data?  Usually, I need anywhere from a 60gb to a 120gb

> hard drive, but this one is 2tb, if that matters.  If I am wrong, and

> there is a way for me to fix this, please tell me.  Finally, can

> anyone recommend a shock-resistant external drive that I can use?

> Assuming that these files are recoverable, I will store them to the

> new drive until I can delete the ones that I don't need, which will be

> many.  So just to be on the safe side, it should probably be around

> 500gb.  I don't want to spend over $150, at the absolute most.    I

> also have no interest in the cloud or in bluetooth devices.

Hi Gene and all!

I did some research and I found out that you can install and run programs from an external drive, but it is not the best, because I would have to keep the drive hooked up to the computer every time I booted windows. I really do not want to go through that. I am using as many built in apps in win10 as possible. I am using a lot of Internet programs like Google Docks and so forth. I use this little jym to read my eemails with the mail app, and it works great! I am learning how to use many of the apps built into win10 so I do not have to install full desktop programs on this 28 Gigs LOL! I use my big laptop for running a lot of programs, because it has a 500 Gig hard drive. I have to use it plugged in, because the battery wore out a lont time ago LOL! I thought I would let you guys know what I found out.

Take care!