Firefox: Issues and Alternatives

Eleni Vamvakari

I have used Firefox since at least version 17, and have seen many
changes since then, some of which are annoying and some of which I
barely noticed. But lately, amount of problems that I now face when
using it, and the fact that more seem to be appearing is making me
want to seriously search for an alternative. Here is a quick summary
of my issues. Can anyone help me resolve them?

1. NVDA keeps losing focus when I shift-tab between windows. For
example, I'll hear GMail, but then, immediately after that, it will
say desktop. Usually, the only ways that I can stop this are to
restart Firefox, which I have to exit using the Task Manager, or to
restart NVDA.
2. NVDA doesn't automatically switch to a new window when I open it.
3. The Firefox is not responding error" is more frequent than usual.
4. NVDA sometimes gets stuck while reading, and it takes a few seconds
for speech to return.
5. When in comboboxes, many times, NVDA will no longer read the
options. Instead, it's silent as I try to go through them, and the
page automatically switches to whatever option I'm on. I tried this,
using the same page, on both Firefox and Cometbird, and the latter had
no such issues.
6. When Firefox crashes, sometimes, it will ask me if I want to
restore my last session. Usually, I answer no. but most of the time,
it just opens whatever windows were open when it crashed. There used
to be a simple way to change this in options, but it no longer exists.
It has been this way for a while now, and I find this very annoying,
especially if I had many windows open.
7. In the options, there are no longer okay and cancel buttons. As
with the previous issue, this has been true for quite a while, and I
have no idea why they changed it.
8. Sometimes, when I hit a certain key (I don't know which one), NVDA
will say "developer tools" and then, I have to close the page in order
to get Firefox to read properly.
9. Sometimes, I'll hit the letter h to navigate by heading, and NVDA
will say "h elp" (not a typing error). When it does this, I again
have to close page in order to resolve the issue.

In the past, I have tried other browsers based on Firefox, but most of
them didn't work. The best replacement that I have found is
Cometbird, but sadly, this has not been updated in several years.
It's really a shame, as it's light, fast, responsive, and works with
most of my ad-ons. More importantly, I don't have any of the issues
with it that i do with regular Firefox. SeaMonkey also works, but is
a bit slower and seems not to keep accurate records of my history.
That is, if I visit ten sites and look in history, only a few will be
displayed. Plus, it can't use all of my ad-ons, the most important of
which is XMarks, for saving my bookmarks between computers. But since
I mostly use portable versions of things, that shouldn't really
matter. I then tried K-Meleon and Lunascape, but must learn how to
use them. The World worked well, but was very simple. What else is
accessible?

Thank you,
Eleni
--
Facebook: elvam2167@gmail.com

Skype: elvam2167

Gene

There are two approaches you may wish to take.  I'm not sure if the first applies because I'm not sure what version of Windows you are using and I'm not sure if the symptoms you are describing are caused by the bug I will discuss.  You may want to discuss the matter on the NVDA users' list.  But in recent versions of Windows, the new version of NVDA has problems in some programs do to some sort of bug in NVDA.  The developers are working on the problem

You can try an older version of NVDA and, for convenience, using a portable version would be the easiest way to test.

The other approach is to try Chrome.  Browsing will be identical or just about identical since you will be using browse mode.  Altering settings will be different but just for seeing if Chrome works well, that won't matter.  If you decide to use Chrome as your main browser, then you can learn how to change settings and use book marks.  but for now, you can see if Chrome works properly before going further.

Sent: Friday, June 16, 2017 7:45 PM
Subject: [TechTalk] Firefox: Issues and Alternatives

[...]

I strictly use Windows XP and 7. These problems are in 7, but they
were also in XP as well. I don't think Firefox works there anymore. I
normally use Sea Monkey or Cometbird with those machines. I am using
the latter now in 7.

[...]

Firefox works in XP but now you will only be able to get security updates for Firefox using XP and I believe a number of months from now or perhaps a year, you won't be able to get security updates.  But you can still use it in XP.

Gene

--
Facebook: elvam2167@...

Skype: elvam2167

Rajmund <brajmund2000@...>

hi, honestly, from all you've listed, I only experience speech cutting out. but I don't suppose that helps you.

On 17/06/17 1:45 AM, Eleni Vamvakari wrote:
[...]

There is no ok or cancel button but it doesn't matter.  Options still looks like a dialog as you tab through it but it's actually a web page-like interface that looks like a dialog.  I don't know how it looks to a sighted person.

Changes are made immediately when you make a change. All you do is make whatever change or changes you want and that's it.  Since this is actually a webpage-like interface, you can continue doing whatever you want after making any change or changes you want.  for example, using a bookmark to go to another page, typing an address in the address bar and pressing enter, using history, any way you would leave a page and go to another page normally will work here since NVDA treats options like a web page now.  And since this is a webpage -like interface, you can turn off browse mode or the virtual pc cursore if you need to do so to work with anything.

If you are down arrowing in preferences and you get stuck, up arrow once, wait a moment and then start down arrowing again.  You can then move down through the remaining categories.  I said to wait a moment before down arrowing.  This may be necessary or it may not.  I haven't experimented.  You may experiment if you wish.