Question regarding file and folder structure in Windows.

Gary Price

Morning everyone!
Not sure if anyone can answer this, but here goes.

I have all 25 volumes of The Bradshaws.
For those who don't know, The Bradshaws is a family living back in the time of Pounds, Shillings and Pence.
They are brilliant! All voiced by one person, Buzz Hawkins.

All the volumes have names.
My question really is can a folder only contain a certain number of characters?

See I'm trying to get them in numbered order, 1 2 3 4 etc.
But at the moment it is going 1 2 3 6 then I think 9 but not sure on that. Then number Four is towards the bottom.
I renamed them last night, taking out The Bradshaws part.

But here's the key part, all the names of the volumes start with the same two words.
"In" and "Their"
Notice that spelling, the belonging one.

If I get rid of the Vol for Volume and put 01 followed by the name will this fix the problem?
I'm going to get my friend John Haill to help me out at the weekend.
Sorry for the long message, I hope my question makes sense.
Gary Price
Sent from my 13 inch Mac book pro.

This address is for personal contact:
garyprice12@icloud.com

Twitter:
http://www.twitter.com/gazwprice

Carlos

Total path lengths are generally limited to 260 characters and individual components such as file names and folder names excluding the path are limited to 255 characters. Although there are Unicode provisions for paths up to 32767 characters in length, this is usually not supported by most applications or file managers.

[...]

Ann Parsons

Hi all,

Gary, you've come up against not folder structure but file naming conventions. If you want to have these books in order, you need to put a number as the first set of characters in the file name. Computers use a naming convention which demands that digital labels, if they are higher than 9 need to have two digits in the numbers. Therefore, you have to name your files: 01, 02 03 04 and so on. This will prevent your player from playing file 1 and then file 10 and so on. Just rename all twenty-five files or folders as I have listed above. You'll be good to go.

Ann P.

--
Ann K. Parsons
Portal Tutoring

"All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost."

Gene

You don't have to get rid of anything.  Start each name with 01, 02,etc. so that every entry is two digits.

Gene