Article: Google Will No Longer Scan Gmail for Ad Targeting - The New York Times #article


Carlos
 
Edited

For all the naysayers, apparently privacy is in fact a big concern for many users these days. Even Google has received enough criticism that they're finally going to be changing their policy of scanning private E-mail for the purpose of targeting you with personalized advertisement.
https://www.nytimes.com/2017/06/23/technology/gmail-ads.html

----- Original Message -----
From: "janet gross" <janet.harvard@outlook.com>
To: <main@TechTalk.groups.io>
Sent: Saturday, July 01, 2017 7:45 PM
Subject: Re: [TechTalk] 2 Android questions


Hi Olusegun,
Thank you thank you for all this great information! I'm just so tired and
discouraged and disappointed with Microsoft, Windows, Outlook, JAWS. I
already paid FS for the MSA agreement for the next 2 versions of JAWS, so
after next year, I just won't pay the MSA. FS is just to exspensive, and if
I can get another screen reader that can do most of the samethings as JAWS,
so be it! I am seriously considering learning and using NVDA as my screen
reader. I thought about downloading Windows 10 on to my Windows 7 64 bit
pc, but after hearing so much about how Microsoft has the ability to remove
an application from my own pc, and after hearing so much about how Windows
10 will actually force their updates right on to my own pc, and I understand
there are work arounds for these issues as well, but if they can remove an
application, and force updates, where is my privacy and rights as a
consumer? Oh yeah, I do get to pay for the pc though! Smile! These are
just some reasons I am considering leaving Microsoft. I was considering
purchasing a Android tablet, because wow, now, I'm a little disappointed
with Apple, and the reason I say this is because Apple is very exspensive.
Besides, I know when I send a text message from my iPhone, what ever I say
in that text is going to go across Apple, and Apple says this is because
this is there way of trying to improve Siri. So, I say again, where is my
privacy and rights.
I'm still not for sure which tablet I'm going to purchase yet though. I
want to research all I can before purchasing any tablet, although, I was
considering an iPad as well, but then I'm still with Apple!
Just my personal opinion.

Janet
-----Original Message-----
From: main@TechTalk.groups.io [mailto:main@TechTalk.groups.io] On Behalf Of
Olusegun -- Victory Associates LTD, Inc.
Sent: Saturday, July 01, 2017 12:56 PM
To: main@TechTalk.groups.io
Subject: Re: [TechTalk] 2 Android questions

Janet, I am slowly KICKING Windows and its associated screen readers down
the drains and gutters; I am electing to switch to Android full-time.

As has been suggested, if you feel drawn to Android, the Galileo Pro from
Walmart is indeed a good buy. It runs on Marshmallow and you can use an SD
card to expand its storage space.

I believe Josh only referenced the Windows tablet from RCA just in case you
might be interested in taking a hard look at one.

Curiously, since you seem to be more familiar with the iOS platform, how
come you're not electing to purchase an iOS-based tablet? My curiosity
notwithstanding, having something close to the best of both worlds might not
be a bad idea! For me, I tend to STICK with what I have tested and found to
be as reliable as it gets. I didn't vegetate towards iOS because I dislike
overtly proprietary stuff and I love to explore, it's my way of learning how
to THINK outside the box!

Sincerely,
Olusegun
Denver, Colorado


Janet
 

Hi Carlos,
You are forgiven! Smile! I thank you for this. I didn't go online yet to
read this article, but please correct me if I'm wrong in assuming Google had
a policy to scan private emails? I do have a gmail account on my pc and my
iPhone. I would hate to think Google has been scanning my emails! Loll!
Janet

-----Original Message-----
From: main@TechTalk.groups.io [mailto:main@TechTalk.groups.io] On Behalf Of
Carlos
Sent: Saturday, July 01, 2017 7:04 PM
To: main@TechTalk.groups.io
Subject: Re: [TechTalk] Article: Google Will No Longer Scan Gmail for Ad
Targeting - The New York Times #article

LOL apologies, I just woke up. I said, "Google is", when I should have said
"Google has".
----- Original Message -----
From: "Carlos" <carlos1106@nyc.rr.com>
To: <main@TechTalk.groups.io>
Sent: Saturday, July 01, 2017 8:01 PM
Subject: [TechTalk] Article: Google Will No Longer Scan Gmail for Ad
Targeting - The New York Times #article


For all the naysayers, apparently privacy is in fact a big concern for
many users these days. Even Google is received enough criticism that
they're finally going to be changing their policy of scanning private
E-mail for the purpose of targeting you with personalized advertisement.
https://www.nytimes.com/2017/06/23/technology/gmail-ads.html
----- Original Message -----
From: "janet gross" <janet.harvard@outlook.com>
To: <main@TechTalk.groups.io>
Sent: Saturday, July 01, 2017 7:45 PM
Subject: Re: [TechTalk] 2 Android questions


Hi Olusegun,
Thank you thank you for all this great information! I'm just so tired and
discouraged and disappointed with Microsoft, Windows, Outlook, JAWS. I
already paid FS for the MSA agreement for the next 2 versions of JAWS,
so after next year, I just won't pay the MSA. FS is just to
exspensive, and if I can get another screen reader that can do most of
the samethings as JAWS, so be it! I am seriously considering
learning and using NVDA as my screen reader. I thought about
downloading Windows 10 on to my Windows 7 64 bit pc, but after hearing
so much about how Microsoft has the ability to remove an application
from my own pc, and after hearing so much about how Windows
10 will actually force their updates right on to my own pc, and I
understand there are work arounds for these issues as well, but if
they can remove an application, and force updates, where is my privacy
and rights as a consumer? Oh yeah, I do get to pay for the pc though!
Smile! These are just some reasons I am considering leaving
Microsoft. I was considering purchasing a Android tablet, because
wow, now, I'm a little disappointed with Apple, and the reason I say
this is because Apple is very exspensive.
Besides, I know when I send a text message from my iPhone, what ever I
say in that text is going to go across Apple, and Apple says this is
because this is there way of trying to improve Siri. So, I say again,
where is my privacy and rights.
I'm still not for sure which tablet I'm going to purchase yet though.
I want to research all I can before purchasing any tablet, although, I
was considering an iPad as well, but then I'm still with Apple!
Just my personal opinion.

Janet
-----Original Message-----
From: main@TechTalk.groups.io [mailto:main@TechTalk.groups.io] On
Behalf Of Olusegun -- Victory Associates LTD, Inc.
Sent: Saturday, July 01, 2017 12:56 PM
To: main@TechTalk.groups.io
Subject: Re: [TechTalk] 2 Android questions

Janet, I am slowly KICKING Windows and its associated screen readers
down the drains and gutters; I am electing to switch to Android full-time.

As has been suggested, if you feel drawn to Android, the Galileo Pro
from Walmart is indeed a good buy. It runs on Marshmallow and you can
use an SD card to expand its storage space.

I believe Josh only referenced the Windows tablet from RCA just in
case you might be interested in taking a hard look at one.

Curiously, since you seem to be more familiar with the iOS platform,
how come you're not electing to purchase an iOS-based tablet? My
curiosity notwithstanding, having something close to the best of both
worlds might not be a bad idea! For me, I tend to STICK with what I
have tested and found to be as reliable as it gets. I didn't vegetate
towards iOS because I dislike overtly proprietary stuff and I love to
explore, it's my way of learning how to THINK outside the box!

Sincerely,
Olusegun
Denver, Colorado












Carlos
 

Hi Janet,

Yes, this has been their policy for quite some time now. Of course, they say it is only for the purpose of providing targeted advertisement, but as I always say, it's the principle.

----- Original Message -----
From: "janet gross" <janet.harvard@outlook.com>
To: <main@TechTalk.groups.io>
Sent: Saturday, July 01, 2017 8:21 PM
Subject: Re: [TechTalk] Article: Google Will No Longer Scan Gmail for Ad Targeting - The New York Times #article


Hi Carlos,
You are forgiven! Smile! I thank you for this. I didn't go online yet to
read this article, but please correct me if I'm wrong in assuming Google had
a policy to scan private emails? I do have a gmail account on my pc and my
iPhone. I would hate to think Google has been scanning my emails! Loll!
Janet


-----Original Message-----
From: main@TechTalk.groups.io [mailto:main@TechTalk.groups.io] On Behalf Of
Carlos
Sent: Saturday, July 01, 2017 7:04 PM
To: main@TechTalk.groups.io
Subject: Re: [TechTalk] Article: Google Will No Longer Scan Gmail for Ad
Targeting - The New York Times #article

LOL apologies, I just woke up. I said, "Google is", when I should have said
"Google has".
----- Original Message -----
From: "Carlos" <carlos1106@nyc.rr.com>
To: <main@TechTalk.groups.io>
Sent: Saturday, July 01, 2017 8:01 PM
Subject: [TechTalk] Article: Google Will No Longer Scan Gmail for Ad
Targeting - The New York Times #article


For all the naysayers, apparently privacy is in fact a big concern for
many users these days. Even Google is received enough criticism that
they're finally going to be changing their policy of scanning private
E-mail for the purpose of targeting you with personalized advertisement.
https://www.nytimes.com/2017/06/23/technology/gmail-ads.html
----- Original Message -----
From: "janet gross" <janet.harvard@outlook.com>
To: <main@TechTalk.groups.io>
Sent: Saturday, July 01, 2017 7:45 PM
Subject: Re: [TechTalk] 2 Android questions


Hi Olusegun,
Thank you thank you for all this great information! I'm just so tired and
discouraged and disappointed with Microsoft, Windows, Outlook, JAWS. I
already paid FS for the MSA agreement for the next 2 versions of JAWS,
so after next year, I just won't pay the MSA. FS is just to
exspensive, and if I can get another screen reader that can do most of
the samethings as JAWS, so be it! I am seriously considering
learning and using NVDA as my screen reader. I thought about
downloading Windows 10 on to my Windows 7 64 bit pc, but after hearing
so much about how Microsoft has the ability to remove an application
from my own pc, and after hearing so much about how Windows
10 will actually force their updates right on to my own pc, and I
understand there are work arounds for these issues as well, but if
they can remove an application, and force updates, where is my privacy
and rights as a consumer? Oh yeah, I do get to pay for the pc though!
Smile! These are just some reasons I am considering leaving
Microsoft. I was considering purchasing a Android tablet, because
wow, now, I'm a little disappointed with Apple, and the reason I say
this is because Apple is very exspensive.
Besides, I know when I send a text message from my iPhone, what ever I
say in that text is going to go across Apple, and Apple says this is
because this is there way of trying to improve Siri. So, I say again,
where is my privacy and rights.
I'm still not for sure which tablet I'm going to purchase yet though.
I want to research all I can before purchasing any tablet, although, I
was considering an iPad as well, but then I'm still with Apple!
Just my personal opinion.

Janet
-----Original Message-----
From: main@TechTalk.groups.io [mailto:main@TechTalk.groups.io] On
Behalf Of Olusegun -- Victory Associates LTD, Inc.
Sent: Saturday, July 01, 2017 12:56 PM
To: main@TechTalk.groups.io
Subject: Re: [TechTalk] 2 Android questions

Janet, I am slowly KICKING Windows and its associated screen readers
down the drains and gutters; I am electing to switch to Android full-time.

As has been suggested, if you feel drawn to Android, the Galileo Pro
from Walmart is indeed a good buy. It runs on Marshmallow and you can
use an SD card to expand its storage space.

I believe Josh only referenced the Windows tablet from RCA just in
case you might be interested in taking a hard look at one.

Curiously, since you seem to be more familiar with the iOS platform,
how come you're not electing to purchase an iOS-based tablet? My
curiosity notwithstanding, having something close to the best of both
worlds might not be a bad idea! For me, I tend to STICK with what I
have tested and found to be as reliable as it gets. I didn't vegetate
towards iOS because I dislike overtly proprietary stuff and I love to
explore, it's my way of learning how to THINK outside the box!

Sincerely,
Olusegun
Denver, Colorado












Janet
 

Hi Carlos,
The principle exactly, , thank you! I was hoping someone would think the
same way I am thinking! There is no privacy anymore! This stincks Loll! I
don't know which way to go with all this! Between Microsoft, Apple, etc,
I'm not sure what tablet to buy. Wow, this is a shocker! You know Carlos,
the more I research, and the more I learn, I'm suddenly coming to the
conclusion there just isn't any privacy anymore! This is not right! Loll!

Thank you.
Janet

-----Original Message-----
From: main@TechTalk.groups.io [mailto:main@TechTalk.groups.io] On Behalf Of
Carlos
Sent: Saturday, July 01, 2017 7:34 PM
To: main@TechTalk.groups.io
Subject: Re: [TechTalk] Article: Google Will No Longer Scan Gmail for Ad
Targeting - The New York Times #article

Hi Janet,

Yes, this has been their policy for quite some time now. Of course, they
say it is only for the purpose of providing targeted advertisement, but as I
always say, it's the principle.
----- Original Message -----
From: "janet gross" <janet.harvard@outlook.com>
To: <main@TechTalk.groups.io>
Sent: Saturday, July 01, 2017 8:21 PM
Subject: Re: [TechTalk] Article: Google Will No Longer Scan Gmail for Ad
Targeting - The New York Times #article


Hi Carlos,
You are forgiven! Smile! I thank you for this. I didn't go online yet to
read this article, but please correct me if I'm wrong in assuming Google had
a policy to scan private emails? I do have a gmail account on my pc and my
iPhone. I would hate to think Google has been scanning my emails! Loll!
Janet


-----Original Message-----
From: main@TechTalk.groups.io [mailto:main@TechTalk.groups.io] On Behalf Of
Carlos
Sent: Saturday, July 01, 2017 7:04 PM
To: main@TechTalk.groups.io
Subject: Re: [TechTalk] Article: Google Will No Longer Scan Gmail for Ad
Targeting - The New York Times #article

LOL apologies, I just woke up. I said, "Google is", when I should have said
"Google has".
----- Original Message -----
From: "Carlos" <carlos1106@nyc.rr.com>
To: <main@TechTalk.groups.io>
Sent: Saturday, July 01, 2017 8:01 PM
Subject: [TechTalk] Article: Google Will No Longer Scan Gmail for Ad
Targeting - The New York Times #article


For all the naysayers, apparently privacy is in fact a big concern for
many users these days. Even Google is received enough criticism that
they're finally going to be changing their policy of scanning private
E-mail for the purpose of targeting you with personalized advertisement.
https://www.nytimes.com/2017/06/23/technology/gmail-ads.html
----- Original Message -----
From: "janet gross" <janet.harvard@outlook.com>
To: <main@TechTalk.groups.io>
Sent: Saturday, July 01, 2017 7:45 PM
Subject: Re: [TechTalk] 2 Android questions


Hi Olusegun,
Thank you thank you for all this great information! I'm just so tired and
discouraged and disappointed with Microsoft, Windows, Outlook, JAWS. I
already paid FS for the MSA agreement for the next 2 versions of JAWS,
so after next year, I just won't pay the MSA. FS is just to
exspensive, and if I can get another screen reader that can do most of
the samethings as JAWS, so be it! I am seriously considering learning
and using NVDA as my screen reader. I thought about downloading
Windows 10 on to my Windows 7 64 bit pc, but after hearing so much
about how Microsoft has the ability to remove an application from my
own pc, and after hearing so much about how Windows
10 will actually force their updates right on to my own pc, and I
understand there are work arounds for these issues as well, but if
they can remove an application, and force updates, where is my privacy
and rights as a consumer? Oh yeah, I do get to pay for the pc though!
Smile! These are just some reasons I am considering leaving
Microsoft. I was considering purchasing a Android tablet, because
wow, now, I'm a little disappointed with Apple, and the reason I say
this is because Apple is very exspensive.
Besides, I know when I send a text message from my iPhone, what ever I
say in that text is going to go across Apple, and Apple says this is
because this is there way of trying to improve Siri. So, I say again,
where is my privacy and rights.
I'm still not for sure which tablet I'm going to purchase yet though.
I want to research all I can before purchasing any tablet, although, I
was considering an iPad as well, but then I'm still with Apple!
Just my personal opinion.

Janet
-----Original Message-----
From: main@TechTalk.groups.io [mailto:main@TechTalk.groups.io] On
Behalf Of Olusegun -- Victory Associates LTD, Inc.
Sent: Saturday, July 01, 2017 12:56 PM
To: main@TechTalk.groups.io
Subject: Re: [TechTalk] 2 Android questions

Janet, I am slowly KICKING Windows and its associated screen readers
down the drains and gutters; I am electing to switch to Android full-time.

As has been suggested, if you feel drawn to Android, the Galileo Pro
from Walmart is indeed a good buy. It runs on Marshmallow and you can
use an SD card to expand its storage space.

I believe Josh only referenced the Windows tablet from RCA just in
case you might be interested in taking a hard look at one.

Curiously, since you seem to be more familiar with the iOS platform,
how come you're not electing to purchase an iOS-based tablet? My
curiosity notwithstanding, having something close to the best of both
worlds might not be a bad idea! For me, I tend to STICK with what I
have tested and found to be as reliable as it gets. I didn't vegetate
towards iOS because I dislike overtly proprietary stuff and I love to
explore, it's my way of learning how to THINK outside the box!

Sincerely,
Olusegun
Denver, Colorado












Jaffar Sidek
 

George Orwell, "1984", "Big Brother Is Watching You". In this day and age dominated by Microsoft, apple and Google, where ever you go or click on the internet, whatever you do on your home, private PC, you are being tracked or watched. Privacy is no more a concern for these giant IT industries because companies depend on them for advertising. which prompts me to question the advancement of technology sometimes, because the more technology advances, the more privacy we will loose. well, we win some, but at this age, we loose more. Cheers!

On 2/7/2017 8:01 AM, Carlos wrote:
For all the naysayers, apparently privacy is in fact a big concern for many users these days. Even Google is received enough criticism that they're finally going to be changing their policy of scanning private E-mail for the purpose of targeting you with personalized advertisement.
https://www.nytimes.com/2017/06/23/technology/gmail-ads.html
----- Original Message ----- From: "janet gross" <janet.harvard@outlook.com>
To: <main@TechTalk.groups.io>
Sent: Saturday, July 01, 2017 7:45 PM
Subject: Re: [TechTalk] 2 Android questions


Hi Olusegun,
Thank you thank you for all this great information! I'm just so tired and
discouraged and disappointed with Microsoft, Windows, Outlook, JAWS. I
already paid FS for the MSA agreement for the next 2 versions of JAWS, so
after next year, I just won't pay the MSA. FS is just to exspensive, and if
I can get another screen reader that can do most of the samethings as JAWS,
so be it! I am seriously considering learning and using NVDA as my screen
reader. I thought about downloading Windows 10 on to my Windows 7 64 bit
pc, but after hearing so much about how Microsoft has the ability to remove
an application from my own pc, and after hearing so much about how Windows
10 will actually force their updates right on to my own pc, and I understand
there are work arounds for these issues as well, but if they can remove an
application, and force updates, where is my privacy and rights as a
consumer? Oh yeah, I do get to pay for the pc though! Smile! These are
just some reasons I am considering leaving Microsoft. I was considering
purchasing a Android tablet, because wow, now, I'm a little disappointed
with Apple, and the reason I say this is because Apple is very exspensive.
Besides, I know when I send a text message from my iPhone, what ever I say
in that text is going to go across Apple, and Apple says this is because
this is there way of trying to improve Siri. So, I say again, where is my
privacy and rights.
I'm still not for sure which tablet I'm going to purchase yet though. I
want to research all I can before purchasing any tablet, although, I was
considering an iPad as well, but then I'm still with Apple!
Just my personal opinion.

Janet
-----Original Message-----
From: main@TechTalk.groups.io [mailto:main@TechTalk.groups.io] On Behalf Of
Olusegun -- Victory Associates LTD, Inc.
Sent: Saturday, July 01, 2017 12:56 PM
To: main@TechTalk.groups.io
Subject: Re: [TechTalk] 2 Android questions

Janet, I am slowly KICKING Windows and its associated screen readers down
the drains and gutters; I am electing to switch to Android full-time.

As has been suggested, if you feel drawn to Android, the Galileo Pro from
Walmart is indeed a good buy. It runs on Marshmallow and you can use an SD
card to expand its storage space.

I believe Josh only referenced the Windows tablet from RCA just in case you
might be interested in taking a hard look at one.

Curiously, since you seem to be more familiar with the iOS platform, how
come you're not electing to purchase an iOS-based tablet? My curiosity
notwithstanding, having something close to the best of both worlds might not
be a bad idea! For me, I tend to STICK with what I have tested and found to
be as reliable as it gets. I didn't vegetate towards iOS because I dislike
overtly proprietary stuff and I love to explore, it's my way of learning how
to THINK outside the box!

Sincerely,
Olusegun
Denver, Colorado











James Bentley
 

Carlos, now that Google has all of everyones money, they no longer need to sell our information.
 
But, this is great to know.
 
James B
 
 
 

From: Carlos
Sent: Saturday, July 01, 2017 7:01 PM
Subject: [TechTalk] Article: Google Will No Longer Scan Gmail for Ad Targeting - The New York Times #article
 
For all the naysayers, apparently privacy is in fact a big concern for many
users these days.  Even Google is received enough criticism that they're
finally going to be changing their policy of scanning private E-mail for the
purpose of targeting you with personalized advertisement.
https://www.nytimes.com/2017/06/23/technology/gmail-ads.html
----- Original Message -----
From: "janet gross" <janet.harvard@...>
To: <main@TechTalk.groups.io>
Sent: Saturday, July 01, 2017 7:45 PM
Subject: Re: [TechTalk] 2 Android questions


Hi Olusegun,
Thank you thank you for all this great information!  I'm just so tired and
discouraged and disappointed   with Microsoft, Windows, Outlook, JAWS.  I
already paid FS for the MSA agreement for the next 2 versions of JAWS, so
after next year, I just won't pay the MSA.  FS is just to exspensive, and if
I can get another screen reader that can do most of the samethings as JAWS,
so be it!  I am seriously considering  learning and using NVDA as my screen
reader.  I thought about downloading Windows 10 on to my Windows 7 64 bit
pc, but after hearing so much about how Microsoft has the ability to remove
an application from my own pc, and after hearing so much about how Windows
10 will actually force their updates right on to my own pc, and I understand
there are work arounds for these issues as well, but if they can remove an
application, and force updates, where is my privacy and rights as a
consumer? Oh yeah, I do get to pay for the pc though!  Smile!  These are
just some reasons I am considering leaving Microsoft.  I was considering
purchasing a Android tablet, because wow, now, I'm a little disappointed
with Apple, and the reason I say this is because Apple is very exspensive.
Besides, I know when I send a text message from my iPhone, what ever I say
in that text is going to go across Apple, and Apple says this is because
this is there way of trying to improve Siri.  So, I say again, where is my
privacy and rights.
I'm still not for sure which tablet I'm going to purchase yet though.  I
want to research all I can before purchasing any tablet, although, I was
considering an iPad as well, but then I'm still with Apple!
Just my personal opinion.

Janet
-----Original Message-----
From: main@TechTalk.groups.io [mailto:main@TechTalk.groups.io] On Behalf Of
Olusegun -- Victory Associates LTD, Inc.
Sent: Saturday, July 01, 2017 12:56 PM
To: main@TechTalk.groups.io
Subject: Re: [TechTalk] 2 Android questions

Janet, I am slowly KICKING Windows and its associated screen readers down
the drains and gutters; I am electing to switch to Android full-time.

As has been suggested, if you feel drawn to Android, the Galileo Pro from
Walmart is indeed a good buy.  It runs on Marshmallow and you can use an SD
card to expand its storage space.

I believe Josh only referenced the Windows tablet from RCA just in case you
might be interested in taking a hard look at one.

Curiously, since you seem to be more familiar with the iOS platform, how
come you're not electing to purchase an iOS-based tablet?  My curiosity
notwithstanding, having something close to the best of both worlds might not
be a bad idea!  For me, I tend to STICK with what I have tested and found to
be as reliable as it gets.  I didn't vegetate towards iOS because I dislike
overtly proprietary stuff and I love to explore, it's my way of learning how
to THINK outside the box!

Sincerely,
Olusegun
Denver, Colorado












Rob <captinlogic@...>
 

James Bentley <bentleyj1952@att.net> wrote:
Carlos, now that Google has all of everyones money, they no longer need to sell our information.
But, this is great to know.

I don't believe they're going to stop. Google isn't a cute little baby anymore, remember those days when google was just a nifty little search engine? It's a greedy corporate monster that will do whatever it wants and feed ra ra stories to the public to feed its image. Meanwhile it will just carry on as normal behind the scenes.


Carlos
 

LOL don't be so cynical. I believe that they will stop, I just don't think overall it will make that much of a difference to the average user.

----- Original Message -----
From: "Rob" <captinlogic@gmail.com>
To: <main@TechTalk.groups.io>
Sent: Sunday, July 02, 2017 8:01 AM
Subject: Re: [TechTalk] Article: Google Will No Longer Scan Gmail for Ad Targeting - The New York Times #article


James Bentley <bentleyj1952@att.net> wrote:
Carlos, now that Google has all of everyones money, they no longer need to sell our information.
But, this is great to know.

I don't believe they're going to stop. Google isn't a cute little baby anymore, remember those days when google was just a nifty little search engine? It's a greedy corporate monster that will do whatever it wants and feed ra ra stories to the public to feed its image. Meanwhile it will just carry on as normal behind the scenes.


Rob <captinlogic@...>
 

Carlos <carlos1106@nyc.rr.com> wrote:
LOL don't be so cynical. I believe that they will stop, I just don't think
overall it will make that much of a difference to the average user.

I don't believe I am being very cynical. Corporations do whatever they want and get away with it because they have money to grease the wheels of the world. Tell me what's cynical about that lol.


Carlos
 
Edited

I don't necessarily disagree with your point of view, but it doesn't mean that all large corporations are lying all of the time. That is what makes it cynical. Do large corporations lie to consumers and the general public? Yes I'm sure that they do, but if they were lying all of the time, they probably wouldn't survive very long.

----- Original Message -----
From: "Rob" <captinlogic@gmail.com>
To: <main@TechTalk.groups.io>
Sent: Sunday, July 02, 2017 8:41 AM
Subject: Re: [TechTalk] Article: Google Will No Longer Scan Gmail for Ad Targeting - The New York Times #article


Carlos <carlos1106@nyc.rr.com> wrote:
LOL don't be so cynical. I believe that they will stop, I just don't think
overall it will make that much of a difference to the average user.

I don't believe I am being very cynical. Corporations do whatever they want and get away with it because they have money to grease the wheels of the world. Tell me what's cynical about that lol.


Rob <captinlogic@...>
 

Carlos <carlos1106@nyc.rr.com> wrote:
it cynical. Do large corporation lie to consumers and the general public?
Yes I'm sure that they do, but if they were lying all of the time, they
probably wouldn't survive very long.

I don't know about that. I think they lie more by omission than commission. Not telling the whole story. Corporations are about themselves and the bottom line, not anything else. Maximize profit at all costs, so to speak.


Carlos
 

But the individual human factor should always be taken into account. I consider myself somewhat cynical as well, but I'm sorry, I can't go through life assuming that every single person's motivations in the entire world are suspect all of the time. I'm not saying that Google's motivations are necessarily altruistic, but I also won't automatically always assume the worst without supporting evidence.

----- Original Message -----
From: "Rob" <captinlogic@gmail.com>
To: <main@TechTalk.groups.io>
Sent: Sunday, July 02, 2017 8:51 AM
Subject: Re: [TechTalk] Article: Google Will No Longer Scan Gmail for Ad Targeting - The New York Times #article


Carlos <carlos1106@nyc.rr.com> wrote:
it cynical. Do large corporation lie to consumers and the general public?
Yes I'm sure that they do, but if they were lying all of the time, they
probably wouldn't survive very long.

I don't know about that. I think they lie more by omission than commission. Not telling the whole story. Corporations are about themselves and the bottom line, not anything else. Maximize profit at all costs, so to speak.


Rob <captinlogic@...>
 

Carlos <carlos1106@nyc.rr.com> wrote:
But the individual human factor should always be taken into account. I
consider myself somewhat cynical as well, but I'm sorry, I can't go through
life assuming that every single person's motivations in the entire world are
suspect all of the time.
There's a basic tenet that I like to follow.
"cui prodest?"
or
"Cui bono?"
It means who benefits, basically, and is one of the major tenets in investegation and legal proceedings. I found it helpful to think about life in general through that filter. When it comes to corporations, government entities, especially. Again, a corporation is all about the bottom line. There's always an agenda.
Anyway, it helps to view life through this filter. Then you're not surprised when some corporation gets caught with egg on its face. I don't think google is going to stop spying on its users; they'll just be more subtle about it. Microsoft has already been yelled at for doing it in windows 10, but it's still happening. We had a discussion on list about that a couple of weeks ago.


Carlos
 

But Google is not claiming that they won't use other techniques to gather information for targeted advertisements. This is specifically addressed in the article. They're just saying they won't scan private E-mails for this purpose any longer. LOL and in my mind your filter basically translates into, too cynical. I manage to avoid taking cynicism to that extreme and I'm still rarely surprised by anything. As Carlos once said, do not always assume the worst, just be prepared for it.

----- Original Message -----
From: "Rob" <captinlogic@gmail.com>
To: <main@TechTalk.groups.io>
Sent: Sunday, July 02, 2017 9:11 AM
Subject: Re: [TechTalk] Article: Google Will No Longer Scan Gmail for Ad Targeting - The New York Times #article


Carlos <carlos1106@nyc.rr.com> wrote:
But the individual human factor should always be taken into account. I
consider myself somewhat cynical as well, but I'm sorry, I can't go through
life assuming that every single person's motivations in the entire world are
suspect all of the time.
There's a basic tenet that I like to follow.
"cui prodest?"
or
"Cui bono?"
It means who benefits, basically, and is one of the major tenets in investegation and legal proceedings. I found it helpful to think about life in general through that filter. When it comes to corporations, government entities, especially. Again, a corporation is all about the bottom line. There's always an agenda.
Anyway, it helps to view life through this filter. Then you're not surprised when some corporation gets caught with egg on its face. I don't think google is going to stop spying on its users; they'll just be more subtle about it. Microsoft has already been yelled at for doing it in windows 10, but it's still happening. We had a discussion on list about that a couple of weeks ago.


Gene
 

Google might suffer significantly in terms of reputation, trust, and users, if it were involved in a scandal where it had made a categorical statement and had been shown to have lied about it.  It doesn't matter how you view corporations in general, but corporations that rely on the public having reasonable confidence in them wouldn't take stupid chances by stating that they aren't going to do something and continuing to do it.  It would have made far more sense not to say anything,  Things leak out. 
 
Gene

From: Rob
Sent: Sunday, July 02, 2017 7:41 AM
Subject: Re: [TechTalk] Article: Google Will No Longer Scan Gmail for Ad Targeting - The New York Times #article

Carlos <carlos1106@...> wrote:
> LOL don't be so cynical.  I believe that they will stop, I just don't think
> overall it will make that much of a difference to the average user.


I don't believe I am being very cynical. Corporations do whatever they want and get away with it because they have money to grease the wheels of the world. Tell me what's cynical about that lol.




Gene
 

You just made my case for me.  It makes no sense for Google to lie and risk getting caught.  It makes far more sense for them to say nothing if they intend to keep doing what they are doing. 
 
In addition, it is common knowledge that e-mail, when unencrypted, can be easily seen during transmission by people having nothing to do with the server.  That should be far more concerning than whether algorithms are used to look for words in messages to determine what sort of ads to show. 
 
Gene

----- Original Message -----
From: Rob
Sent: Sunday, July 02, 2017 7:51 AM
Subject: Re: [TechTalk] Article: Google Will No Longer Scan Gmail for Ad Targeting - The New York Times #article

Carlos <carlos1106@...> wrote:
> it cynical.  Do large corporation lie to consumers and the general public?
> Yes I'm sure that they do, but if they were lying all of the time, they
> probably wouldn't survive very long.


I don't know about that. I think they lie more by omission than commission. Not telling the whole story. Corporations are about themselves and the bottom line, not anything else. Maximize profit at all costs, so to speak.




Gene
 

Google didn't make any general statements about stopping anything except that they wouldn't monitor messages for determining what ads to show.  So are you saying now that you believe they will stop that practice?  If so, that's all they said they would do. 
 
Gene

----- Original Message -----
From: Rob
Sent: Sunday, July 02, 2017 8:11 AM
Subject: Re: [TechTalk] Article: Google Will No Longer Scan Gmail for Ad Targeting - The New York Times #article

Carlos <carlos1106@...> wrote:
> But the individual human factor should always be taken into account.  I
> consider myself somewhat cynical as well, but I'm sorry, I can't go through
> life assuming that every single person's motivations in the entire world are
> suspect all of the time.

There's a basic tenet that I like to follow.
"cui prodest?"
or
"Cui bono?"
It means who benefits, basically, and is one of the major tenets in investegation and legal proceedings. I found it helpful to think about life in general through that filter. When it comes to corporations, government entities, especially. Again, a corporation is all about the bottom line. There's always an agenda.
Anyway, it helps to view life through this filter. Then you're not surprised when some corporation gets caught with egg on its face. I don't think google is going to stop spying on its users; they'll just be more subtle about it. Microsoft has already been yelled at for doing it in windows 10, but it's still happening. We had a discussion on list about that a couple of weeks ago.




Ron Canazzi
 

Corporations generally don't do anything for the good of the public in a fundamental sense unless it is mandated by government. In the US in this era since the 80s of massive deregulation and consolidation, one cannot help but be more and more finical. Witness the massive financial collapse of the 2007-2008 period. All of the major companies got bailed out; none of their top executives went to jail and few got fined. This after the biggest poncy scheme in human history:the useless sub prime derivatives.

On 7/2/2017 8:51 AM, Rob wrote:
Carlos <carlos1106@nyc.rr.com> wrote:
it cynical. Do large corporation lie to consumers and the general public?
Yes I'm sure that they do, but if they were lying all of the time, they
probably wouldn't survive very long.
I don't know about that. I think they lie more by omission than commission. Not telling the whole story. Corporations are about themselves and the bottom line, not anything else. Maximize profit at all costs, so to speak.


--
They Ask Me If I'm Happy; I say Yes.
They ask: "How Happy are You?"
I Say: "I'm as happy as a stow away chimpanzee on a banana boat!"


Ron Canazzi
 

Long story short: as an old time professor once told me "There isn't any businessman alive that is in business for his health. They're all in it for what they can get--profit, profit and more profit."

On 7/2/2017 9:11 AM, Rob wrote:
Carlos <carlos1106@nyc.rr.com> wrote:
But the individual human factor should always be taken into account. I
consider myself somewhat cynical as well, but I'm sorry, I can't go through
life assuming that every single person's motivations in the entire world are
suspect all of the time.
There's a basic tenet that I like to follow.
"cui prodest?"
or
"Cui bono?"
It means who benefits, basically, and is one of the major tenets in investegation and legal proceedings. I found it helpful to think about life in general through that filter. When it comes to corporations, government entities, especially. Again, a corporation is all about the bottom line. There's always an agenda.
Anyway, it helps to view life through this filter. Then you're not surprised when some corporation gets caught with egg on its face. I don't think google is going to stop spying on its users; they'll just be more subtle about it. Microsoft has already been yelled at for doing it in windows 10, but it's still happening. We had a discussion on list about that a couple of weeks ago.


--
They Ask Me If I'm Happy; I say Yes.
They ask: "How Happy are You?"
I Say: "I'm as happy as a stow away chimpanzee on a banana boat!"


Pamela Dominguez
 

And if they have the idea that doing something good will make them more profit, they will probably do it, but only if they think it will. Pam.

-----Original Message-----
From: Ron Canazzi
Sent: Sunday, July 02, 2017 10:03 AM
To: main@TechTalk.groups.io
Subject: Re: [TechTalk] Article: Google Will No Longer Scan Gmail for Ad Targeting - The New York Times #article

Long story short: as an old time professor once told me "There isn't any
businessman alive that is in business for his health. They're all in it
for what they can get--profit, profit and more profit."



On 7/2/2017 9:11 AM, Rob wrote:
Carlos <carlos1106@nyc.rr.com> wrote:
But the individual human factor should always be taken into account. I
consider myself somewhat cynical as well, but I'm sorry, I can't go through
life assuming that every single person's motivations in the entire world are
suspect all of the time.
There's a basic tenet that I like to follow.
"cui prodest?"
or
"Cui bono?"
It means who benefits, basically, and is one of the major tenets in investegation and legal proceedings. I found it helpful to think about life in general through that filter. When it comes to corporations, government entities, especially. Again, a corporation is all about the bottom line. There's always an agenda.
Anyway, it helps to view life through this filter. Then you're not surprised when some corporation gets caught with egg on its face. I don't think google is going to stop spying on its users; they'll just be more subtle about it. Microsoft has already been yelled at for doing it in windows 10, but it's still happening. We had a discussion on list about that a couple of weeks ago.



--
They Ask Me If I'm Happy; I say Yes.
They ask: "How Happy are You?"
I Say: "I'm as happy as a stow away chimpanzee on a banana boat!"





---
This email has been checked for viruses by AVG.
http://www.avg.com