Topics

Help With the Out of the Box Experience

Mike B. <mb69mach1@...>

Hi All,

I'll be receiving a new Windows 7 64 bit Pro laptop today, & need some help & reminders about the out of the box experience.  I know I'll need to get started with Narrator, & I have a flashdrive all ready to go with necessary programs to install, but would y'all please remind me of what I need to do first?  Aren't there some screens that won't be read, & I need to okay them by pressing,Alt + Y, to get started?  Anyways, if y'all would please give me the get started steps it would be greatly appreciated!  Thanks much.
Take care.  Mike.  Go Dodgers!
Sent from my iBarstool.

Joe

As long as you can launch Narrator, I think Windows + U on Windows 7,
you should be good to go. I recently set up a new laptop and had no
trouble getting it going using just Narrator. I was able to set up
wi-fi, passwords, etc.

Joe

On 7/5/17, Mike B. <mb69mach1@...> wrote:
Hi All,

I'll be receiving a new Windows 7 64 bit Pro laptop today, & need some help

& reminders about the out of the box experience. I know I'll need to get
started with Narrator, & I have a flashdrive all ready to go with necessary

programs to install, but would y'all please remind me of what I need to do
first? Aren't there some screens that won't be read, & I need to okay them

by pressing,Alt + Y, to get started? Anyways, if y'all would please give me

the get started steps it would be greatly appreciated! Thanks much.
Take care. Mike. Go Dodgers!
Sent from my iBarstool.

David Ferrin <dpf.1996@...>

Start Narrator and although it does take some time you should not have any trouble.

I might just give you a call in a while to check your progress. I just did another windows 10 system on Monday the same way. Don’t drink any coffee before you start.

I'll be receiving a new Windows 7 64 bit Pro laptop today, & need some help & reminders about the out of the box experience.  I know I'll need to get started with Narrator, & I have a flashdrive all ready to go with necessary programs to install, but would y'all please remind me of what I need to do first?  Aren't there some screens that won't be read, & I need to okay them by pressing,Alt + Y, to get started?  Anyways, if y'all would please give me the get started steps it would be greatly appreciated!  Thanks much.
Take care.  Mike.  Go Dodgers!
Sent from my iBarstool.

David Ferrin

Josh Kennedy

press windows u to start narrator on windows7. in windows10 its windows enter, on windows10 creators edition its control windows enter.

On 7/5/2017 1:57 PM, David Ferrin via Groups.Io wrote:
[...]

sent with mozilla thunderbird

Mike B. <mb69mach1@...>

Hi David & Joe,

An update to my out of the box experience!  LOL  Well, it didn't stay out of the box very long!  They sent me the wrong computer, it was Windows 10, & not Windows 7, so back into the box it went!  LOL
Take care.  Mike.  Go Dodgers!
Sent from my iBarstool.

Sent: Wednesday, July 05, 2017 10:57 AM

[...]

Steve Matzura

Aw, you should've kept it. Windows 10 is not the devil incarnate.
Needs a little taming and rearranging, yes, but it's not a bad
operating environment in which to work.

On Thu, 6 Jul 2017 13:43:52 -0700, you wrote:

[...]

Hi Steve,

If I wanted Windows 10, that's what I would have purchased, but since it wasn't what I purchased, back it went.
Take care.  Mike.  Go Dodgers!
Sent from my iBarstool.

Sent: Thursday, July 06, 2017 2:20 PM

Aw, you should've kept it. Windows 10 is not the devil incarnate.
Needs a little taming and rearranging, yes, but it's not a bad
operating environment in which to work.

On Thu, 6 Jul 2017 13:43:52 -0700, you wrote:

>Hi David & Joe,
>
>An update to my out of the box experience!  LOL  Well, it didn't stay out of
>the box very long!  They sent me the wrong computer, it was Windows 10, &
>not Windows 7, so back into the box it went!  LOL
>Take care.  Mike.  Go Dodgers!
>Sent from my iBarstool.
>Arguing with a woman is like reading a software license agreement.  In the
>end you have to ignore everything, & click I agree.

Carlos

Besides, you can always get a free copy of Windows 10 by temporarily upgrading the machine and then downgrading.  Your machine will be registered on the Microsoft servers and you can then install Windows 10 in the future if necessary.

Sent: Thursday, July 06, 2017 2:20 PM

Aw, you should've kept it. Windows 10 is not the devil incarnate.
Needs a little taming and rearranging, yes, but it's not a bad
operating environment in which to work.

On Thu, 6 Jul 2017 13:43:52 -0700, you wrote:

>Hi David & Joe,
>
>An update to my out of the box experience!  LOL  Well, it didn't stay out of
>the box very long!  They sent me the wrong computer, it was Windows 10, &
>not Windows 7, so back into the box it went!  LOL
>Take care.  Mike.  Go Dodgers!
>Sent from my iBarstool.
>Arguing with a woman is like reading a software license agreement.  In the
>end you have to ignore everything, & click I agree.

What I failed to mention is, by getting the computer with Windows 7 installed I could image the Windows 7 OS, upgrade to Windows 10, image it, & now I have 2 fully operational operating systems that I can switch bac & forth.  But, by having Windows 10 already installed I can't get Windows 7 unless I purchase the OS or key code separately.
Take care.  Mike.  Go Dodgers!
Sent from my iBarstool.

Sent: Thursday, July 06, 2017 2:20 PM

Aw, you should've kept it. Windows 10 is not the devil incarnate.
Needs a little taming and rearranging, yes, but it's not a bad
operating environment in which to work.

On Thu, 6 Jul 2017 13:43:52 -0700, you wrote:

>Hi David & Joe,
>
>An update to my out of the box experience!  LOL  Well, it didn't stay out of
>the box very long!  They sent me the wrong computer, it was Windows 10, &
>not Windows 7, so back into the box it went!  LOL
>Take care.  Mike.  Go Dodgers!
>Sent from my iBarstool.
>Arguing with a woman is like reading a software license agreement.  In the
>end you have to ignore everything, & click I agree.

Janet

Hi Mike,

2 Fully operating systems, pretty clever!  Am I correct in assuming if you had Windows 10, you couldn’t role back to Windows 7?

Janet

Sent: Thursday, July 06, 2017 2:20 PM

Aw, you should've kept it. Windows 10 is not the devil incarnate.
Needs a little taming and rearranging, yes, but it's not a bad
operating environment in which to work.

On Thu, 6 Jul 2017 13:43:52 -0700, you wrote:

>Hi David & Joe,
>
>An update to my out of the box experience!  LOL  Well, it didn't stay out of
>the box very long!  They sent me the wrong computer, it was Windows 10, &
>not Windows 7, so back into the box it went!  LOL
>Take care.  Mike.  Go Dodgers!
>Sent from my iBarstool.
>Arguing with a woman is like reading a software license agreement.  In the
>end you have to ignore everything, & click I agree.

No, not if Windows 10 is preinstalled.

Sent: Thursday, July 06, 2017 2:20 PM

Aw, you should've kept it. Windows 10 is not the devil incarnate.
Needs a little taming and rearranging, yes, but it's not a bad
operating environment in which to work.

On Thu, 6 Jul 2017 13:43:52 -0700, you wrote:

>Hi David & Joe,
>
>An update to my out of the box experience!  LOL  Well, it didn't stay out of
>the box very long!  They sent me the wrong computer, it was Windows 10, &
>not Windows 7, so back into the box it went!  LOL
>Take care.  Mike.  Go Dodgers!
>Sent from my iBarstool.
>Arguing with a woman is like reading a software license agreement.  In the
>end you have to ignore everything, & click I agree.

Hi Carlos,

Thank you!  One needs to be for certain before they obtain Windows 10 rather they purchase or download it.  This is good to know!

Janet

Janet

Sent: Thursday, July 06, 2017 2:20 PM

Aw, you should've kept it. Windows 10 is not the devil incarnate.
Needs a little taming and rearranging, yes, but it's not a bad
operating environment in which to work.

On Thu, 6 Jul 2017 13:43:52 -0700, you wrote:

>Hi David & Joe,
>
>An update to my out of the box experience!  LOL  Well, it didn't stay out of
>the box very long!  They sent me the wrong computer, it was Windows 10, &
>not Windows 7, so back into the box it went!  LOL
>Take care.  Mike.  Go Dodgers!
>Sent from my iBarstool.
>Arguing with a woman is like reading a software license agreement.  In the
>end you have to ignore everything, & click I agree.

Loy

You can do a dual boot with Win 7 and Win 10 here is a link on how to do this.

Sent: Thursday, July 06, 2017 2:20 PM

Aw, you should've kept it. Windows 10 is not the devil incarnate.
Needs a little taming and rearranging, yes, but it's not a bad
operating environment in which to work.

On Thu, 6 Jul 2017 13:43:52 -0700, you wrote:

>Hi David & Joe,
>
>An update to my out of the box experience!  LOL  Well, it didn't stay out of
>the box very long!  They sent me the wrong computer, it was Windows 10, &
>not Windows 7, so back into the box it went!  LOL
>Take care.  Mike.  Go Dodgers!
>Sent from my iBarstool.
>Arguing with a woman is like reading a software license agreement.  In the
>end you have to ignore everything, & click I agree.

Yeah, I get that.

On Thu, 6 Jul 2017 14:53:12 -0700, you wrote:

[...]

That's not technically true. If Windows 10 is installed as the first
partition, meaning it's a UEFI boot on a GPT drive, Windows 7 can be
added as a second partition. I've seen it done twice in four months. I
was thinking of doing it on my own systems, but I'm too lazy to
slipstream the updates, either with NTLite or any other way (including
DISM), and now I've gotten comfortable enough with Windows 10 for it
not to matter any more, so I dropped the whole plan.

On Thu, 6 Jul 2017 22:38:53 +0000, you wrote:

Hi Mike,
2 Fully operating systems, pretty clever! Am I correct in assuming if you had Windows 10, you couldn’t role back to Windows 7?
Janet

I'll be receiving a new Windows 7 64 bit Pro laptop today, & need some help
& reminders about the out of the box experience. I know I'll need to get
started with Narrator, & I have a flashdrive all ready to go with necessary
programs to install, but would y'all please remind me of what I need to do
first? Aren't there some screens that won't be read, & I need to okay them
by pressing,Alt + Y, to get started? Anyways, if y'all would please give me
the get started steps it would be greatly appreciated! Thanks much.
Take care. Mike. Go Dodgers!
Sent from my iBarstool.

David Ferrin

Steve Matzura

You can't roll back, but you *can* have both in a dual-boot setup.

No, not if Windows 10 is preinstalled.
2 Fully operating systems, pretty clever! Am I correct in assuming if you had Windows 10, you couldn’t role back to Windows 7?

Janet

Aw, you should've kept it. Windows 10 is not the devil incarnate.
Needs a little taming and rearranging, yes, but it's not a bad
operating environment in which to work.

On Thu, 6 Jul 2017 13:43:52 -0700, you wrote:

>Hi David & Joe,
>
>An update to my out of the box experience! LOL Well, it didn't stay out of
>the box very long! They sent me the wrong computer, it was Windows 10, &
>not Windows 7, so back into the box it went! LOL
>Take care. Mike. Go Dodgers!
>Sent from my iBarstool.
>Arguing with a woman is like reading a software license agreement. In the
>end you have to ignore everything, & click I agree.

Yes, but the question was about rolling back/downgrading if Windows 10 is preinstalled, not dual boot configurations. And of course dual boot configurations are possible since I am running one myself.

You can't roll back, but you *can* have both in a dual-boot setup.

No, not if Windows 10 is preinstalled.
2 Fully operating systems, pretty clever! Am I correct in assuming if you had Windows 10, you couldn't role back to Windows 7?

Janet

Aw, you should've kept it. Windows 10 is not the devil incarnate.
Needs a little taming and rearranging, yes, but it's not a bad
operating environment in which to work.

On Thu, 6 Jul 2017 13:43:52 -0700, you wrote:

>Hi David & Joe,
>
>An update to my out of the box experience! LOL Well, it didn't stay
out of
>the box very long! They sent me the wrong computer, it was Windows 10,
&
>not Windows 7, so back into the box it went! LOL
>Take care. Mike. Go Dodgers!
>Sent from my iBarstool.
>Arguing with a woman is like reading a software license agreement. In
the
>end you have to ignore everything, & click I agree.

Yes but, I don't want to have a dual boot again.  I did this once with XP & Windows 7, & although for awhile it was cool, it turned out to be abig pain inhe the A**!  LOL
Take care.  Mike.  Go Dodgers!
Sent from my iBarstool.

Sent: Thursday, July 06, 2017 4:38 PM

That's not technically true. If Windows 10 is installed as the first
partition, meaning it's a UEFI boot on a GPT drive, Windows 7 can be
added as a second partition. I've seen it done twice in four months. I
was thinking of doing it on my own systems, but I'm too lazy to
slipstream the updates, either with NTLite or any other way (including
DISM), and now I've gotten comfortable enough with Windows 10 for it
not to matter any more, so I dropped the whole plan.

On Thu, 6 Jul 2017 22:38:53 +0000, you wrote:

>Hi Mike,
>2 Fully operating systems, pretty clever!  Am I correct in assuming if you had Windows 10, you couldn't role back to Windows 7?
>Janet

Windows 10 does not have to be on the first partition. I have Windows 10 on the second partition.

I'll be receiving a new Windows 7 64 bit Pro laptop today, & need some help
& reminders about the out of the box experience. I know I'll need to get
started with Narrator, & I have a flashdrive all ready to go with necessary
programs to install, but would y'all please remind me of what I need to do
first? Aren't there some screens that won't be read, & I need to okay them
by pressing,Alt + Y, to get started? Anyways, if y'all would please give me
the get started steps it would be greatly appreciated! Thanks much.
Take care. Mike. Go Dodgers!
Sent from my iBarstool.

David Ferrin

Mike B. <mb69mach1@...>

Hi Loy,

I've been the dual route route before with XP & Windows 7, & although it was pretty cool for awhile, I grew to dislike it.  If I want Windows 7 & Windows 10 systems I'll have them separately on different computers using a KVM switch to go back & forth between the 2 of them.  Thank you for the link, I'll keep it for future reference just in case I ever change my mind.
Take care.  Mike.  Go Dodgers!
Sent from my iBarstool.

Sent: Thursday, July 06, 2017 2:20 PM