From: "Steve Matzura" <number6@...>
To: <main@TechTalk.groups.io>
Sent: Thursday, July 06, 2017 11:01 AM
Subject: [TechTalk] Carlos's Win7PE

Carlos:

I've been using this great tool for, well, I forget exactly how long,
but a long long time. The other day, I ran into the very first pair of
machines on which the expanded ISO would not boot. One is a Dell
Inspiron, which may be the reason why, since Dell machines are
notorious for requiring their own drivers for *EVERYTHING*, but the
other was a homebrew, Gigabyte motherboard, Realtek AC97 audio chip
onboard, etc. The Dell machine is probably going to wind up being a
non-starter, but the Gigabyte machine should have worked. The burned
DVD definitely did something--the screen displayed the "loading files"
message, and a progress bar ran for what appeared to be four passes. I
think it was in the middle of the fourth pass, the screen flashed a
bright green, the progress bar filled to 100%, then everything
stopped. Any thoughts on this, or is it just not worth pursuing and
using the Windows 10 PE to do stuff like run the Terabyte Drive Image
Backup and Restore Suite (a.k.a. Image for Windows) which was the
original intent of using the Win7PE?

Steve Matzura

What version of Windows 7 on the Dell? SP1, but I don't know what
patch date. ON the Gigabyte machine, everything up-to-date.

I'm thinking maybe the Dell boot was successful, but for whatever
reason there's no audio. I will have to get some visually-oriented
assistance to find out what's really happening. There is, of course,
the possibility that the disk did NOT boot because the boot device
order needs changing. That machine's CD/DVD drive is so quiet, you
practically need a stethoscope to hear it turn! LOL.

The Gigabyte machine is another matter. The owner has useful vision,
which is how I know about the four passes and the green screen flash.
That one's the real mystery.

On Thu, 6 Jul 2017 11:09:45 -0400, you wrote:

What version of Windows were the two machines running? For the record,
Win7PE works on both my Dell XPS 8700 and my old custom built Gigabyte based
system with no special modifications or drivers.
[...]

Carlos

It seems unlikely, but it is possible that no audio drivers are being found in the included driver pack for the Dell. As for the Gigabyte machine, I'm not sure.

[...]

Gene

do you have an external sound card or headphones?  They should work if the internal device requires a driver it can't find.  USB sound cards or headphones usually play even if their software isn't installed.

Sent: Thursday, July 06, 2017 4:20 PM

What version of Windows 7 on the Dell? SP1, but I don't know what
patch date. ON the Gigabyte machine, everything up-to-date.

I'm thinking maybe the Dell boot was successful, but for whatever
reason there's no audio. I will have to get some visually-oriented
assistance to find out what's really happening. There is, of course,
the possibility that the disk did NOT boot because the boot device
order needs changing. That machine's CD/DVD drive is so quiet, you
practically need a stethoscope to hear it turn! LOL.

The Gigabyte machine is another matter. The owner has useful vision,
which is how I know about the four passes and the green screen flash.
That one's the real mystery.

On Thu, 6 Jul 2017 11:09:45 -0400, you wrote:

>What version of Windows were the two machines running?  For the record,
>Win7PE works on both my Dell XPS 8700 and my old custom built Gigabyte based
>system with no special modifications or drivers.

That information even translates to Win7PE.  Although not Win10PE because the developers wouldn't put the effort into including support for USB audio.

Sent: Thursday, July 06, 2017 4:20 PM

What version of Windows 7 on the Dell? SP1, but I don't know what
patch date. ON the Gigabyte machine, everything up-to-date.

I'm thinking maybe the Dell boot was successful, but for whatever
reason there's no audio. I will have to get some visually-oriented
assistance to find out what's really happening. There is, of course,
the possibility that the disk did NOT boot because the boot device
order needs changing. That machine's CD/DVD drive is so quiet, you
practically need a stethoscope to hear it turn! LOL.

The Gigabyte machine is another matter. The owner has useful vision,
which is how I know about the four passes and the green screen flash.
That one's the real mystery.

On Thu, 6 Jul 2017 11:09:45 -0400, you wrote:

>What version of Windows were the two machines running?  For the record,
>Win7PE works on both my Dell XPS 8700 and my old custom built Gigabyte based
>system with no special modifications or drivers.

That's really unfortunate.

Sent: Thursday, July 06, 2017 4:20 PM

What version of Windows 7 on the Dell? SP1, but I don't know what
patch date. ON the Gigabyte machine, everything up-to-date.

I'm thinking maybe the Dell boot was successful, but for whatever
reason there's no audio. I will have to get some visually-oriented
assistance to find out what's really happening. There is, of course,
the possibility that the disk did NOT boot because the boot device
order needs changing. That machine's CD/DVD drive is so quiet, you
practically need a stethoscope to hear it turn! LOL.

The Gigabyte machine is another matter. The owner has useful vision,
which is how I know about the four passes and the green screen flash.
That one's the real mystery.

On Thu, 6 Jul 2017 11:09:45 -0400, you wrote:

>What version of Windows were the two machines running?  For the record,
>Win7PE works on both my Dell XPS 8700 and my old custom built Gigabyte based
>system with no special modifications or drivers.

An external sound card is definitely worth a try. I'll see if the
client has one. But I'm doubtful. Will report back.

On Thu, 6 Jul 2017 16:32:12 -0500, you wrote:

[...]

Hey Carlos, that's a good gotcha to know about! How silly of them, ya
think?

That information even translates to Win7PE. Although not Win10PE because the developers wouldn't put the effort into including support for USB audio.
do you have an external sound card or headphones? They should work if the internal device requires a driver it can't find. USB sound cards or headphones usually play even if their software isn't installed.

What version of Windows 7 on the Dell? SP1, but I don't know what
patch date. ON the Gigabyte machine, everything up-to-date.

I'm thinking maybe the Dell boot was successful, but for whatever
reason there's no audio. I will have to get some visually-oriented
assistance to find out what's really happening. There is, of course,
the possibility that the disk did NOT boot because the boot device
order needs changing. That machine's CD/DVD drive is so quiet, you
practically need a stethoscope to hear it turn! LOL.

The Gigabyte machine is another matter. The owner has useful vision,
which is how I know about the four passes and the green screen flash.
That one's the real mystery.

On Thu, 6 Jul 2017 11:09:45 -0400, you wrote:

>What version of Windows were the two machines running? For the record,
>Win7PE works on both my Dell XPS 8700 and my old custom built Gigabyte based
>system with no special modifications or drivers.

David Ferrin <dpf.1996@...>

I used the version for windows 10 this afternoon and it picked up my external sound card without a problem at all.

[...]

That is interesting. Although admittedly I haven't done much testing. It didn't work for me, but I only tested with a couple of USB audio devices. It may depend on the specific USB audio device, but my comments were only based on personal experience and what I remember reading on the forums.

[...]

Well my friend, I have various USB cards, CMedia, Sabrent, a Gigaware and they all get picked up by your PE environment just fine. In fact I am certain that at least one of my internal real tech cards gets picked up as well.

[...]

David Ferrin

Carlos

Well it's supposed to detect internal cards so that's not surprising, but I didn't think it would detect USB audio devices. I'm glad to hear that it works for you though.

[...]

I use this giga ware sound bar I got quite a few years ago quite often for working in PE environments.

It has never failed and it is convenient in that there are no controls or knobs on it at all. Just plug it in and it always works or so far anyway.