Where can I buy this SPARC HD Radio SHD-TX2

Loy <loyrg2845@...>

Robin Frost

Hi,
Here is its official maker’s page
And when you click buy for this model sadly it takes you to
Here is its url at amazon but sadly they’re now out of stock.
I hope this helps.
Robin

Sent: Friday, January 29, 2016 11:06 PM
Subject: [TechTalk] Where can I buy this SPARC HD Radio SHD-TX2

Robin Frost

Hi,
Just one last follow-up on this topic.  I did contact the Sparc company when I saw that the item had gone out of stock at Amazon and the link I had cited. I am pleased to say I got a prompt response from them indicating that the unit is still very much in production and they’d look into the out of stock status. I also entered into dialog with them concerning the fact that verbal prompts are off by default. they explained that they’d turned them on for a while but got complaints about it I’m assuming from visual people who hadn’t need of them. So I gently explained that it’d be easier for sighted people to turn off an unwanted or not needed feature with a menu and display they could see and thus interact with than it is for visually impaired to approximate their way through turning said feature on.  I also proposed that since they weren’t shipping it with an audio description of button layout and how to turn on these needed features that they consider having such a documentation in written or audio form available as a download on their site.
I’m impressed with the prompt and polite response I received from them and just thought I’d share to allay the fears of some that such products are fly by night and thus bound to disappear as some have asserted.
Robin

Sent: Friday, January 29, 2016 11:37 PM
Subject: Re: [TechTalk] Where can I buy this SPARC HD Radio SHD-TX2

Hi,
I hope this helps.
Robin

Donald L. Roberts

Thanks Robin for pursuing the manufacturers of this set.  My hope is that someone will tell me in layman’s terms about the sensitivity and selectivity of this radio.  I would also ask about sound quality, but that is so subjective that it probably wouldn’t yield much in the way of useful info.

Don Roberts

Sent: Monday, February 1, 2016 8:47 AM

Hi,
Just one last follow-up on this topic.  I did contact the Sparc company when I saw that the item had gone out of stock at Amazon and the link I had cited. I am pleased to say I got a prompt response from them indicating that the unit is still very much in production and they’d look into the out of stock status. I also entered into dialog with them concerning the fact that verbal prompts are off by default. they explained that they’d turned them on for a while but got complaints about it I’m assuming from visual people who hadn’t need of them. So I gently explained that it’d be easier for sighted people to turn off an unwanted or not needed feature with a menu and display they could see and thus interact with than it is for visually impaired to approximate their way through turning said feature on.  I also proposed that since they weren’t shipping it with an audio description of button layout and how to turn on these needed features that they consider having such a documentation in written or audio form available as a download on their site.
I’m impressed with the prompt and polite response I received from them and just thought I’d share to allay the fears of some that such products are fly by night and thus bound to disappear as some have asserted.
Robin

Hi,
I hope this helps.
Robin

Gene

I don't think verbal prompts should be on by default.  it makes no sense for a company to inconvenience the majority of users to make it easier for a very small minority to use a device.  What is needed, if it is not provided at the moment, is a very simple way to turn on speech along with an effective way to inform users as to how this is done.  For example, pressing and holding the power button for five seconds could toggle speech on and off. 

As for how to inform blind people of this, that is something that would have to be worked out but having prompts on by default is not a reasonable solution.

Gene

----- Original Message -----
Sent: Monday, February 01, 2016 10:47 AM

Hi,
Robin

Hi,
I hope this helps.
Robin

Gene

I don't know if it was the same model but awhile ago, there were one or more podcasts reviewing a Spark digital radio.  But unless I lived in a difficult reception area where multipath caused FM reception problems of analog signals, or unless I specifically wanted to pick up the additional stations available on HD FM,  I wouldn't purchase a digital radio unless it had superior reception in general to a comparable analog radio.  There is little difference in sound     quality between analog fm and digital fm.  and digital a.m. sounds terrible and is practically nonexistent.  In chicago, out of perhaps twenty or twenty-five stations in the area, there are perhaps three that have a digital signal.

Gene

Sent: Monday, February 01, 2016 10:56 AM

Thanks Robin for pursuing the manufacturers of this set.  My hope is that someone will tell me in layman’s terms about the sensitivity and selectivity of this radio.  I would also ask about sound quality, but that is so subjective that it probably wouldn’t yield much in the way of useful info.

Don Roberts

Hi,
Robin

Hi,
I hope this helps.
Robin

Robin Frost

Hi,
Not to mention that even selectivity isn’t a static norm from area to area and can vary due to so many factors outside the unit itself.
Here in the very populated Philadelphia area not just with people and wireless devices of all sorts but also broadcast frequencies it’s doing rather well both with regular fm and hd.  I haven’t played with AM as I now haven't reason to because most worthwhile broadcasts here can also be found on hd signals on fm as well and sound much better. But those I have tried to bring in have come with great ease.
As for sound it’s a portable radio so I didn’t expect audiophile quality from it. So I suppose in short if you take it of what it is and align expectations accordingly I don’t think it’ll disappoint.
for my purposes I was seeking a portable that could run in double a’s or triple a’s rather than c or d cells which I don’t have around as often and the fact that it brings in hd signals was just icing on my listening cake of life. So I’m happy with the purchase and am now even happier to have supported with the power of my purchasing dollars a company who was at least willing to communicate with me a lowly end user. That’s not always the case these days it seems sadly.
I hope that helps.
Robin

Sent: Monday, February 1, 2016 11:56 AM

Don Roberts

Hi,
Robin

Hi,
I hope this helps.
Robin

Robin Frost

Hi,
Here in the Philadelphia metro area our main twenty-four news outlet sounds much better on fm hd than it does on AM due to interference from a plethora of sources such as wireless security systems, street lights and the like no matter what unit or set-up is used. so for me it was a viable option and meets my needs quite well.
Robin

Sent: Monday, February 1, 2016 12:09 PM

I don't know if it was the same model but awhile ago, there were one or more podcasts reviewing a Spark digital radio.  But unless I lived in a difficult reception area where multipath caused FM reception problems of analog signals, or unless I specifically wanted to pick up the additional stations available on HD FM,  I wouldn't purchase a digital radio unless it had superior reception in general to a comparable analog radio.  There is little difference in sound     quality between analog fm and digital fm.  and digital a.m. sounds terrible and is practically nonexistent.  In chicago, out of perhaps twenty or twenty-five stations in the area, there are perhaps three that have a digital signal.

Gene
Sent: Monday, February 01, 2016 10:56 AM

Don Roberts

Hi,
Robin

Hi,
I hope this helps.
Robin

Robin Frost

Hi,
I might respectfully disagree with you regarding whether the solution is or isn’t reasonable and it’s neither here nor there as ultimately the manufacturer will make its own choice and has and might try again varying approaches.

In the case of this particular unit the power button already toggles two different resulting actions so that option wouldn’t work but I understand the meaning of the idea in theory.
As I did indicate in a prior message I did posit the option of offering a detailed written or audio description via their site walking blind and visually impaired people through the steps of enabling these  features (even offering an example to them of what such could look like); and to that the company seemed quite receptive.
My point in earnest wasn’t whether or not the solution should or shouldn’t be whether or not these prompts should be on or off by default but rather I thought it’d be helpful to inform people that my previously posted information that the unit was out of stock would soon be rectified and to make it known that the company behind this product was and is willing to dialog with people regarding how best to meet the needs of as many as possible in terms of universal design and ease of access.
So it seems to me that as is the case in many things in life there’s no need for crisis, strife argument and ultimate sentient beings will hit upon a solution that works for the majority and the world will happily spin right along.
Happy listening, product exploring, learning and dialoging one and all.
Robin

Sent: Monday, February 1, 2016 12:01 PM

I don't think verbal prompts should be on by default.  it makes no sense for a company to inconvenience the majority of users to make it easier for a very small minority to use a device.  What is needed, if it is not provided at the moment, is a very simple way to turn on speech along with an effective way to inform users as to how this is done.  For example, pressing and holding the power button for five seconds could toggle speech on and off. 

As for how to inform blind people of this, that is something that would have to be worked out but having prompts on by default is not a reasonable solution.

Gene
Sent: Monday, February 01, 2016 10:47 AM

Hi,
Robin

Hi,
I hope this helps.
Robin

Gerald Levy

This particular model has not been available on Amazon.com for months, which is apparently the only place where you can buy Sparc products.  .  However, the SHD-T750, a tabletop model with most of the same features as the SHD-TX2, including voice prompts, is still available on Amazon.com for $149.99.  This is the only other Sparc HD radio that offers the voice prompt feature.  Contrary to your response from Sparc, I wonder whether their days are numbered because HD radio has failed to catch on with consumers and for all intents and purposes has been a commercial flop. So if you really have your heart set on buying an “accessible” HD radio, you might want to snap up an SHD-T750 while Amazon still has them in stock, because once they’re gone, they may be gone for good.

Gerald

Sent: Monday, February 01, 2016 11:47 AM

Hi,
Robin

Hi,
I hope this helps.
Robin

Robin Frost

Hi,
As evidenced by my prior posts I already have the radio and set it up thanks to helpful contributors from this list.
And with all due respect in reference to the assertion that the model has been out of stock for months: when I bought it ten days ago there were 17 in stock and by the time I posted for help and someone asked where to purchase it two people I know had purchased it and it switched to out of stock. So perhaps sales to sighted and non-sighted alike are more brisk than one might think.
sparc also seems to be advertising heavily in Philadelphia the fifth largest media market in the US and every newer model of car I get into seems to come equipped with Hd radio so whether their days are numbered ultimately will be decided by the market itself I’d think.
Robin

Sent: Monday, February 1, 2016 1:44 PM

This particular model has not been available on Amazon.com for months, which is apparently the only place where you can buy Sparc products.  .  However, the SHD-T750, a tabletop model with most of the same features as the SHD-TX2, including voice prompts, is still available on Amazon.com for $149.99.  This is the only other Sparc HD radio that offers the voice prompt feature.  Contrary to your response from Sparc, I wonder whether their days are numbered because HD radio has failed to catch on with consumers and for all intents and purposes has been a commercial flop. So if you really have your heart set on buying an “accessible” HD radio, you might want to snap up an SHD-T750 while Amazon still has them in stock, because once they’re gone, they may be gone for good.

Gerald

Hi,
Robin

Hi,
I hope this helps.
Robin

Gary Greico

h d is going away slowly but surely.  The biggest sports station in the country dropped it & e s p n just dropped it also.  Just th9ught you'd like to know.

On 2/1/2016 1:44 PM, Gerald Levy wrote:

Gerald

Hi,
Robin

Hi,
I hope this helps.
Robin

Robin Frost

Hi,
ah that is very interesting and you could be right regarding its future given that many are more apt to stream radio content via any number of devices and considering that many smart phones have fm chips already in them even if they’re not yet activated here in the US.
the same news station I mentioned earlier which sounds much better on fm hd is also promoting the fact that anyone anywhere can stream them on the go on their smart phones.
for someone who majored in communications it’s fascinating for me to watch it all evolve.
And as I now return the list to its normal flow of topic and return to quiet lurkdom I once again thank those who graciously and patiently took the time to help me get the sparc up and running and hope those who inquired were somehow helped by all that was posted herein.
Robin

Sent: Monday, February 1, 2016 2:03 PM

h d is going away slowly but surely.  The biggest sports station in the country dropped it & e s p n just dropped it also.  Just th9ught you'd like to know.

Gerald

Hi,
Robin

Hi,
I hope this helps.
Robin

Matt

Yes and it really amazes me that a feature like having a radio receiver in your phone but the feature is not turn on! This just don’t make sense to me!

Sent: Monday, February 01, 2016 2:33 PM
To: TechTalk@groups.io

Hi,

ah that is very interesting and you could be right regarding its future given that many are more apt to stream radio content via any number of devices and considering that many smart phones have fm chips already in them even if they’re not yet activated here in the US.

the same news station I mentioned earlier which sounds much better on fm hd is also promoting the fact that anyone anywhere can stream them on the go on their smart phones.

for someone who majored in communications it’s fascinating for me to watch it all evolve.

And as I now return the list to its normal flow of topic and return to quiet lurkdom I once again thank those who graciously and patiently took the time to help me get the sparc up and running and hope those who inquired were somehow helped by all that was posted herein.

Robin

Gerald

Hi,

Robin

Hi,

I hope this helps.

Robin

Gerald Levy

Not only that, but GM has dropped HD radio as an option in all of its 2016 cars and trucks.

Gerald

Sent: Monday, February 01, 2016 2:03 PM

Gerald

Hi,
Robin

Hi,
I hope this helps.
Robin

Pamela Dominguez

It’s a dud like Quadrophonic was, and AM stereo.  Pam.

Sent: Monday, February 01, 2016 2:03 PM

Gerald

Hi,
Robin

Hi,
I hope this helps.
Robin

Pamela Dominguez

HD radio has been dying a slow death ever since it came out.  They keep trying to push it, but nobody (no stations) want it.  And as has already been said, stations that have tried it are dropping it.  The ones mentioned were most definitely not the first ones to drop it.  Pam.

Sent: Monday, February 01, 2016 2:32 PM

Hi,
Robin

Gerald

Hi,
Robin

Hi,
I hope this helps.
Robin

Gerald Levy

Remember a few years ago when the Insignia Narrator talking HD radio was introduced?  There were all kinds of podcasts touting its virtues, and some honchos from Best Buy ranted and raved about what a great product thiswas going to  be for blind consumers.  Six months later, this radio was abruptly discontinued, never to be heard from again.  And the bozos at Best Buy scratch their heads and wonder why their company is on the verge of bankruptcy and extinction.

Gerald

Sent: Monday, February 01, 2016 6:26 PM

HD radio has been dying a slow death ever since it came out.  They keep trying to push it, but nobody (no stations) want it.  And as has already been said, stations that have tried it are dropping it.  The ones mentioned were most definitely not the first ones to drop it.  Pam.

Sent: Monday, February 01, 2016 2:32 PM

Hi,
Robin

Gerald

Hi,
Robin

Hi,
I hope this helps.
Robin

empacc.net

hi donald:
been behind on my email so just found yours from yesterday.
sound quality is decent for this radio, but remember it has a 3-inch radio speaker and we are talking about a portable radio.
selectivity is very good on both am and fm.
sensitivity is adequate on fm, but I live in a rural area where very strong signals are no as prevalent as they would be in a metropolitan area.
but the very strong signals I do pick up are handled with excellent results.
am sensitivity on am is superb.
one of the best am portables I have ever used, even on non-hd signals.
I actually have picked up hd signals from philly at night and that's about 200 miles from my location.

but there some negatives which I must point out.
one of the most glaring is the fm whip antenna.
it does swivel, but only from left to right, not a complete 360 degrees.
and the antenna is too tight for my taste.
one must be very careful with this angtenna.
sound using headphones is very good.
hope this gives you some more info on this radio.
despite what some people on this list are saying, (ant they know who they are), this is a very good radio for the price even for analog signals.

take care.

Sent: Monday, February 01, 2016 11:56 AM

Don Roberts

Hi,
Robin

Hi,
I hope this helps.
Robin

Howard Wolcott

Rajmund <brajmund2000@...>

Hello,
While HD will massively depend on the signal, we have 2 cars with DAB or HD, depends on the model, and difference between the 2, they do work well enough for what they are supposed to, so HD and DAB are well and alive. And it'll only be better, as time goes by.

Date: Monday, February 1, 2016 6:52 pm

Hi,
As evidenced by my prior posts I already have the radio and set it up thanks to helpful contributors from this list.
And with all due respect in reference to the assertion that the model has been out of stock for months: when I bought it ten days ago there were 17 in stock and by the time I posted for help and someone asked where to purchase it two people I know had purchased it and it switched to out of stock. So perhaps sales to sighted and non-sighted alike are more brisk than one might think.
sparc also seems to be advertising heavily in Philadelphia the fifth largest media market in the US and every newer model of car I get into seems to come equipped with Hd radio so whether their days are numbered ultimately will be decided by the market itself I'd think.
Robin

Sent: Monday, February 1, 2016 1:44 PM

This particular model has not been available on Amazon.com for months, which is apparently the only place where you can buy Sparc products. .. However, the SHD-T750, a tabletop model with most of the same features as the SHD-TX2, including voice prompts, is still available on Amazon.com for $149.99. This is the only other Sparc HD radio that offers the voice prompt feature. Contrary to your response from Sparc, I wonder whether their days are numbered because HD radio has failed to catch on with consumers and for all intents and purposes has been a commercial flop. So if you really have your heart set on buying an "accessible" HD radio, you might want to snap up an SHD-T750 while Amazon still has them in stock, because once they're gone, they may be gone for good.

http://www.amazon.com/SPARC-Radio-SHD-T750-Table-Alarm/dp/B00TE3L2HE/ref=sr_1_9"ie=UTF8&qid=1424734405&sr=8-9&keywords=sparc

Gerald

Hi,
Just one last follow-up on this topic. I did contact the Sparc company when I saw that the item had gone out of stock at Amazon and the link I had cited. I am pleased to say I got a prompt response from them indicating that the unit is still very much in production and they'd look into the out of stock status. I also entered into dialog with them concerning the fact that verbal prompts are off by default. they explained that they'd turned them on for a while but got complaints about it I'm assuming from visual people who hadn't need of them. So I gently explained that it'd be easier for sighted people to turn off an unwanted or not needed feature with a menu and display they could see and thus interact with than it is for visually impaired to approximate their way through turning said feature on. I also proposed that since they weren't shipping it with an audio description of button layout and how to turn on these needed features that they consider having such a documentation in written or audio form available as a download on their site.
I'm impressed with the prompt and polite response I received from them and just thought I'd share to allay the fears of some that such products are fly by night and thus bound to disappear as some have asserted.
Robin

Hi,
Here is its official maker's page
http://www.sparcradio.com/index.php/sparc-products2
Here is its url at amazon but sadly they're now out of stock.
http://www.amazon.com/SPARC-SHD-TX2-Portable-Speaker-Emergency/dp/B00VIVD7ZU/ref=sr_1_1"ie=UTF8&qid=1429731072&sr=8-1&keywords=sparc+SHD-TX2
I hope this helps.
Robin

Sent from a Braille Sense