Self cleaning litter boxes

Kay Malmquist

Well, I hope this would be considered on topic.  It is sort of tech related.  I have three cats.  There are 3 litter boxes around my house.  I have a guide dog that thinks what the cats deposit is for her dining pleasure.  I could put a kid gate in the doorway of the room that she has decided to raid, and it could be up high enough that the cats could come and go as they like, but not the dog, but I really don't want a kid gate in the way of the door way even if it opens like another door.  So, now for the question.  Self-cleaning litter boxes.  I have researched them and just got more confused.  I figure that if it cleans after the cat goes, there will be nothing for her to munch on.  But the problem is, what is the best way to go?  I know they are expensive but I would buy one and see how they like it and then maybe buy more.  Do any of you have any experience with these and what would be the best way to go?  Thanks for any help with this.

Kay Malmquist
kay.malmquist@...
Switch your mentality from "I'm broken and helpless," to "I'm growing and healing," and watch how fast your life changes, for the better.
Unknown

Peter Spitz

I used a self-cleaning litter box many years ago. It had a rake that
would automatically rake the litter after a cat would visit. It would
rake the poop into a plastic bag at the end of the litter box. I
don't think that would prevent the dog from eating since it would just
collect in the open bag. In fact, it might make it even a little
easier to grab the poop since it would be in one area.

On 11/13/19, Kay Malmquist <kay.malmquist@gmail.com> wrote:
[...]

chris judge

Hi Kay.

Years ago I purchased a self cleaning litter box for my 3 kitties. In theory it sounds like a great idea. In reality it’s a waste of money. First. The mechanism travels along a track. There are forks that pick up the clumps and deposit them in a recepticle at the front of the litter box. This mechanism is tripped when kitty leaves the box. Mine worked ok for the first couple of times, then the tracks got full of litter and the mechanism no longer moved and had to be cleaned. Also, the forks got gross and dirty quite quickly and needed to be cleaned. It was a nightmare. I’m surprised they’re still selling them. My advice, if possible, is to put the litter boxes where puppy can’t reach them.

It might work if you had one for each kitty, but that would get pricy.

[...]

The self cleaning litter box I tried had a cover over the deposit receptacle that dropped closed after the clumps were deposited.

[...]

Howard Traxler

Kay, we bought the "littermaid" box, maybe ten or twelve years ago.  I think we paid about $120 for it.  It has some kind of photo sensor that (is supposed to) set the machine in motion about ten minutes after the cat finishes and leaves.  A motor-driven rake goes through the litter and pushes the clumps into a covered recepticle.  The automated part worked for a few months.

We now take advantage of the fact that, when the power turns on, the rake does its thing; so we power it from a timer that turns on and runs the device once-a-day.  So, clumps can build up in there; we have only two cats.

Biggest disadvantage for me is that the litter goes directly into the plastic tray--no tray liner to lift and dispose.  When it's time to clean the box, the mechanism and box are separated and the used litter is dumped and the box washed before new litter is applied.

We have two other plane old boxes into which we place a double liner of plastic trash bags.  Most cleaning times require that we remove and dispose of the inner liner, then replace it and apply litter.  Total washing of the box is not required as often as with the littermaid.

We have no hungry dogs.

Good luck

Howard

On 11/13/2019 9:19 AM, Kay Malmquist wrote:
[...]

Hi Kay. After reading and responding to your message I took some time to read some reviews on amazon. I’m half tempted to give self cleaning litter boxes another go. It does appear that the recommended crystal litter is somewhat difficult to get. I tried the self cleaning litter box 15 years ago, so it’s quite possible they’ve improved it since then. I currently have three kitties and 2 litter boxes, one in the basement and one in the upstairs hallway. I’d probably get 2 self cleaning litter boxes as my furballs are use to having 2, and they do recommend more than one if you have more than one kittycat.

[...]

jan howells <gale7978@...>

Hi Kay,

This is very common with dogs. It means that they have a vitamin deficiency. If you put a little salt in the cat's food, the dog will not like it. I had a dog that used to pick up her deposits and carry them into the house and drop them inside. This is what I was told to do, and it worked. But I have observed many dogs at the litter boxes doing such. Your dog is not uncommon. Best of luck to you.

Jan

jan howells <gale7978@...>

Hi again, Kay,

Could you put the litter boxes say in the bathroom or in a laundry room or in the basement? Then close doors and have them off limits to the dog? Just a suggestion.

Jan

Kay Malmquist

Hi Jan,
I wish it were that easy. Down stairs is off limit due to the fact that we
have a recording studio with miles of cable and one cat that loves to chew
cords. The litter boxes are all covered with the openings facing the wall
but miss munchie face just moves them so she can get in to them. I am going
to try to stick the boxes down and hope she can not move them then.

Kay Malmquist
kay.malmquist@gmail.com