Printing CD labels

Walter Ramage

Hello all.  I would like to be able to purchase self-adhesive CD labels and print a variety of images on those labels for affixing to recordable CDs.

My ignorance on this topic is profound and I'm not certain if it is possible to do without sight.  Many years ago I had a friend print some CD labels for a few CDs I had and although she is sighted she found it tricky aligning the sheets with the round self-adhesive CD labels in the printer, or should I say aligning the printer software before printing the labels.

So!  I have a number of questions.  Firstly I don't own a printer and if I were to embark on this project which printer would be best for this purpose; laser or inkjet?  Secondly how do you go about configuring the printer to print the images on to the round label (there is normally 2 round labels to a sheet.  Apart from the printer what software is necessary to accomplish this task and is the software accessible (I use Jaws).

Another thought just occurred to me and that is whilst there are two round labels to a sheet can you print a different image onto each label or must the same image be printed on to both?

As I said, I've never done this before and I don't even own a printer  so I hope I've made what I would like to do clear and I've not confused things..  With thanks.  Walter

Michael Boyd <mike122061@...>

Hi Walter,

Before losing my sight, I used to print many CD labels. Since then however, I have yet to find an accessible software that will allow a blind person to do so.  If you were trying to print the label of a commercial music CD for instance, you  would first acquire the image by either scanning the CD face, or by downloading it from the internet. Then you must open this image in a program such as MS Paint or another, and copy it from there. Now you must open the software that is compatible with the labels that you have and paste the image into this program. Lastly, you must align the label over the outline of the label on the sheet within the program, which you cannot see. If you are using the 2 up CD labels as you described, then you have to perform this process twice to put an image onto both labels. Labels are available for both ink jet and laser printers. It just depends on which you have as to what you buy. If you want to create your own labels, and that is what it sounds like, most of the label making programs do allow for typing text onto the labels and changing the background color as well as fonts and text size. But you still have to put the cursor at the point where you wish to insert the text, and if you have quite a bit of text to include on the label, it can be very frustrating not being able to see any of this. I have never found one of these programs that is accessible with any screen reader as far as I know, at least not Jaws, Narrator or NVDA. Should you come up with an accessible way of performing this task, please share it with the group.

Michael

[...]

Carlos

I still can't fathom how LightScribe was so casually discontinued.  Printing basic labels was at least mostly accessible.  Fortunately, I still own a LightScribe burner and quite a few blank discs, but it is becoming more and more difficult to find replacements.

[...]

Hi Michael.  Thank you.  What you say is what I thought might be the case because even the sighted friend I had help a few years ago found it a little tricky lining things up.  Either I'll have to forget the idea or find somebody who has enough computer knowledge and has sight to do it for me.  Thanks again.  Walter.Original Message -----

[...]

Donald L. Roberts

Walter, look for a device called cd stomper.  Avery makes labels for them.  I have used this thing for years successfully.  The sheets are square, so they fit nicely in a braille writer.  After creating the braille label, you then remove the round label from the square sheet.  There is a slight perforation which allows you to know where to remove the label from the sheet. The trick is to memorize or create a cheat sheet which tells you just where to begin each braille line and what spaces on which you cannot braille because of the hole in the center of the label.

Don Roberts

On 8/29/2017 2:15 PM, Walter Ramage via Groups.Io wrote:
[...]

Gene

But as far as I know, that is for labeling the cd itself.  the request was for putting an image on a case.

Sent: Wednesday, August 30, 2017 9:53 AM

[...]

Actually, I got the impression that he was referring to labeling the CD itself.

But as far as I know, that is for labeling the cd itself.  the request was for putting an image on a case.

Sent: Wednesday, August 30, 2017 9:53 AM

[...]

Hi Carlos.  Yes, that's correct I want to either print onto a self-adhesive CD lable or directly onto the disc, on discs that are designed for that purpose.  Walter.

Sent: Wednesday, August 30, 2017 9:53 AM

[...]

Hi Gene.  No I was speaking of printing onto a sticky CD lable or alternatively directly on to the printable surface of a disc.  Walter.----- Original Message -----

But as far as I know, that is for labeling the cd itself.  the request was for putting an image on a case.

Sent: Wednesday, August 30, 2017 9:53 AM

[...]

Hi.  thanks for that.  However I wasn't thinking of Braille labelling but print labels.  To explain further I purchased a licence from a photo library for over 500 professional photographs.  I'd like to print some of those photographs onto a CD lable when I'm burning a new CD.  Walter.

[...]

LightScribe was designed for printing directly on to the surface of specially prepared discs, but unfortunately as I said the technology was discontinued.

But as far as I know, that is for labeling the cd itself.  the request was for putting an image on a case.

Sent: Wednesday, August 30, 2017 9:53 AM

[...]

Replying to my own messages, I just re-read Walter's message and realized that he mentioned printing images on labels rather than brailling. Apologies for the misunderstanding.

Don Roberts

On 8/30/2017 7:53 AM, Donald L. Roberts wrote:
[...]

I reread the message and that is correct, the labels would be placed on the cds.  But I don't think CD Stomper would do what is wanted.  From Don's description, it appears to be for creating the right size labels that you can do things with, but that still doesn't put the images on the label.

Sent: Wednesday, August 30, 2017 9:53 AM

[...]

Hi.  I did some Google searching as well as asking the question on this list and I have found that 1. although Lightscribe is no longer available inkjet printable discs are and 2. there are two options, I could get an inkjet printer that will print directly on to disc or purchase a CD/DVD duplicator with printing capability but this second option is very expensive unless printing discs is part of a professional business as they can cost around $2,500.   However I'm still none the wiser as to the accessibility of any of these options.   I might have to capitulate and get sighted help. Walter.