new member with question on android or apple phones

Kathy Pingstock

Hi my name is Kathy, I am new to this list, I am looking to upgrade my cell phone, currently I have a 6s apple cell  phone   some say get the galaxy and others say apple iphone any suggestions or opinions?

Kathy

Quentin Christensen

Firstly, I would say it depends on how invested you are in the Apple ecosystem.  Android has come a long way in recent years and is accessible.  The main difference is what services you use.  If you use Apple music and have bought lots of apps and, talk to people on Facetime etc, then I'd go with a newer iPhone.

If you aren't so invested in the Apple ecosystem, then your choice is a bit more open.  Android works similarly to iOS, but there are differences, and some people really prefer the way one system works over the other one.  Android gives you a lot more freedom for how you have things setup, what web browser, home screen setup and other things you use.  On the other side, your iPhone is exactly the same as everyone else's, so that provides a familiarity and consistency.

Then it also comes down to exactly what apps (or types of apps) you use - some specific apps work better on one platform compared to the other.  If you've got things you absolutely HAVE to have, then it's worth investigating whether those apps, or equivalents, are on the other platform (remembering that if you've paid for them on Apple, you'll generally need to pay for them again on Android - on both systems, you can use apps you have paid for on any device logged into THAT account, but it doesn't generally transfer across between platforms).

If you go for Android, I would look at a high-ish end device like a Galaxy S8 or Google Pixel etc.  While you can buy an Android device very cheaply, you do to some extent, get what you pay for.

Regards

Quentin.

--
Quentin Christensen
Training and Support Manager

Twitter: @NVAccess

Janet

Hi Kathy,

Welcome!  This is a great tech list.  What I would suggest as far as deciding between an iPhone and an Android, it really depends on what apps you would want, or what you want to do with your phone.  Apple’s phones are just way to expensive, and Apple needs to do a lot more to improve their devices.  Android has come along way regarding accessibility.  If you haven’t ever done any research on the Android phones, you just might consider it now.  I have an iPhone as well, and I’ve worked with it for 3 in a half years, and I flat out refuse to ever purchase another Apple phone, but please don’t get me wrong, my phone is completely accessible, but in my opinion, they’re not worth the money.  Do yourself a big favor, and do some serious researching before purchasing any iDevice.

Janet