From: "Carlos" <carlos1106@nyc.rr.com
To: TechTalk@groups.io
Date sent: Sun, 7 Feb 2016 11:32:28 -0500
Subject: [TechTalk] Owner's Note (replying to threads)

Hi all,

I have noticed that some members will completely remove the text of all previous messages from the body when replying to a thread. I understand that everyone has their own way of doing things, but this particular practice sometimes makes it difficult to determine exactly to which message or member you are responding. Especially if someone has not been tracking the entire thread. I would kindly request that when replying to a thread, leave at least the text of the specific message to which you are responding intact.

Thanks for your cooperation,
Carlos

Carlos

Hi Armando,
I don't own a BrailleNote Apex, but that sounds about right.

From: "Carlos" <carlos1106@nyc.rr.com
To: TechTalk@groups.io
Date sent: Sun, 7 Feb 2016 11:32:28 -0500

Hi all,

I have noticed that some members will completely remove the text of all previous messages from the body when replying to a thread. I understand that everyone has their own way of doing things, but this particular practice sometimes makes it difficult to determine exactly to which message or member you are responding. Especially if someone has not been tracking the entire thread. I would kindly request that when replying to a thread, leave at least the text of the specific message to which you are responding intact.

Thanks for your cooperation,
Carlos

Gene

I haven't used an Apex but that sounds incorrect.  Reply to sender would be expected to try to send the reply to an indeividual list member, not to the list.  You don't want to change where the message is sent.  you want to leave previously quoted material in the message.  You may have the Apex set to remove all previous material when you reply.  The point is to leave either all material or to at least leave the message you are responding to in the reply.

Gene----- original Message -----

So, on my BrailleNote Apex, just press yes on the reply to sender
only and include the original copy of the email?

Note: The Technology For The Blind List requires new subscribers
to be approved and email messages being approved or rejected.

You can also subscribe to the blind-chat group I had created.
This group is for general chat, which means that
if you are blind, you can join this group!
To subscribe, send a blank email to
blind-chat+subscribe@groups.io
--------------------------------

I have noticed that some members will completely remove the text
of all previous messages from the body when replying to a thread.
I understand that everyone has their own way of doing things, but
this particular practice sometimes makes it difficult to
determine exactly to which message or member you are responding.
Especially if someone has not been tracking the entire thread.  I
would kindly request that when replying to a thread, leave at
least the text of the specific message to which you are
responding intact.

Thanks for your cooperation,
Carlos

Carlos

That is interesting.  I would have expected "reply to sender" to work as it does in other clients on mailing lists which is to use the default setting of the group.

[...]

Armando <braille.bt4753@...>

It works.

[...]

Walt Smith

That's not the way it works in JAWS. There's a specific "Reply to sender" function (JAWSKey+Shift+R) that will attempt (provided the header info in the message is properly configured) to determine the personal address of the message sender and reply only to that address.

That is interesting.  I would have expected "reply to sender" to work as it does in other clients on mailing lists which is to use the default setting of the group.

Carlos

Yes that seems to work. Thanks Armando.

[...]

Well, it is the default setting in the group settings.

[...]

Generally people will use the "reply to all" function of their specific mail client by default which is more relevant.

-------------
That is interesting. I would have expected "reply to sender" to work as it does in other clients on mailing lists which is to use the default setting of the group.

Carlos

Sorry, I meant to say the "reply to sender" function of their specific mail client, not "reply to all".

Generally people will use the "reply to all" function of their specific mail client by default which is more relevant.
That's not the way it works in JAWS. There's a specific "Reply to sender" function (JAWSKey+Shift+R) that will attempt (provided the header info in the message is properly configured) to determine the personal address of the message sender and reply only to that address.

That is interesting.  I would have expected "reply to sender" to work as it does in other clients on mailing lists which is to use the default setting of the group.

Carlos

As far as I can tell most mail clients have consistently used the group's default setting.

From: "Carlos" <carlos1106@nyc.rr.com
To: TechTalk@groups.io
Date sent: Sun, 7 Feb 2016 12:12:51 -0500

Generally people will use the "reply to all" function of their specific mail client by default which is more relevant.
That's not the way it works in JAWS. There's a specific "Reply to sender" function (JAWSKey+Shift+R) that will attempt (provided the header info in the message is properly configured) to determine the personal address of the message sender and reply only to that address.

-------------
That is interesting. I would have expected "reply to sender" to work as it does in other clients on mailing lists which is to use the default setting of the group.

Carlos

I'm not sure that I can state the instructions anymore clearly. The instructions I gave worked for me.

I still can't figure out how to unmute messages I am sending to the four groups.io lists I belong to.

Gerald

As far as I can tell most mail clients have consistently used the group's
default setting.

Generally people will use the "reply to all" function of their specific mail client by default which is more relevant.
That's not the way it works in JAWS. There's a specific "Reply to sender" function (JAWSKey+Shift+R) that will attempt (provided the header info in the message is properly configured) to determine the personal address of the message sender and reply only to that address.

-------------
That is interesting. I would have expected "reply to sender" to work as it does in other clients on mailing lists which is to use the default setting of the group.

Gerald Levy

Okay. Suppose I unsubscribe from this list and then re-subscribe. Would that restore things to normal? If so, please provide the address for subscribing. Sorry to be such a royal pain.

Gerald

[...]

Yes, generally whether the option is labeled "reply to sender" or simply "reply", it behaves the same way in most clients.

It depends on what mail client they use.

Armando: Admin/owner of the Technology For The Blind Mailing
List.

Gene

That may be.  I'm used to seeing reply and reply to all.  I suppose reply to sender is equivalent to what you usually see as reply.  So reply to sender should be alright.  But that won't solve the problem of quoted material, which is a completely separate setting.

gene

[...]

I can't imagine why resubscribing would have anything to do with this problem or that doing so would resolve the issue. As I said before, my suspicion is that it is related to your spam settings, but if you really want to try resubscribing, the address to unsubscribe is
TechTalk+unsubscribe@groups.io
and the subscription address is
TechTalk+subscribe@groups.io