7zip in win 10

Monte Single

Hi List,

I’m using the current nvda and win10 1903.

I download and install 7zip; it is on the taskbar.

When I open the aps menu on a zipped   folder, neither 7zip or its submenu are in the available choices.

I know I need to do something to associate 7zip with zipped folders, I do not know how to do this.

In win xp, 7 and 8x this association happened automaticly with the 7zip installation.

I tried removing 7zip and reinstalling, but no joy.

Suggestions,\

Thanks,

Monte

John Dowling <1008jmd@...>

I think it usually depends on whether or not you downloaded the 32 or 64 bit version.
Unfortunately, I haven’t used windows in quite awhile, so my suggestion might be totally wrong, but try downloading the 64 bit version, and if that’s what you used, then try the 32 bit version if they even still have that available.
Thanks,
John.
Sent from my iMac

On Nov 17, 2019, at 7:24 AM, Monte Single <mrsingle@...> wrote:

Hi List,

I’m using the current nvda and win10 1903.
I download and install 7zip; it is on the taskbar.
When I open the aps menu on a zipped   folder, neither 7zip or its submenu are in the available choices.
I know I need to do something to associate 7zip with zipped folders, I do not know how to do this.
In win xp, 7 and 8x this association happened automaticly with the 7zip installation.
I tried removing 7zip and reinstalling, but no joy.
Suggestions,\
Thanks,
Monte

Ron Canazzi

Hi Monty,

If you have a 64 bit system, you _MUST_ use the  64 bit version of 7Zip for full functionality.  Uninstall the 32 bit and then install the 64 bit version.

--
They Ask Me If I'm Happy; I say Yes.
They ask: "How Happy are You?"

Monte Single

I’ll try this.

Thanks

[...]

Smiling?

Highlight whichever archive file, and using your Applications key (Shift+F10), try hitting 7 which should take you right to 7Zip. Just tell 7Zip what to do, extract here… etc.

I’m using the current nvda and win10 1903.

I download and install 7zip; it is on the taskbar.

When I open the aps menu on a zipped   folder, neither 7zip or its submenu are in the available choices.

I know I need to do something to associate 7zip with zipped folders, I do not know how to do this.

In win xp, 7 and 8x this association happened automaticly with the 7zip installation.

I tried removing 7zip and reinstalling, but no joy.

Suggestions,\

Thanks,

Monte

Monte Single

Yes, I’m smiling too; most of the time.  But not at this un7zip minute.

Whether I use the aps key or shift plus f10, 7zip is not a choice.  That’s my problem.  7zip does not show in the options.

As  two other listers suggested, I’ll make sure I have the 64-bit version installed.

Thanks,

Monte

Highlight whichever archive file, and using your Applications key (Shift+F10), try hitting 7 which should take you right to 7Zip. Just tell 7Zip what to do, extract here… etc.

I’m using the current nvda and win10 1903.

I download and install 7zip; it is on the taskbar.

When I open the aps menu on a zipped   folder, neither 7zip or its submenu are in the available choices.

I know I need to do something to associate 7zip with zipped folders, I do not know how to do this.

In win xp, 7 and 8x this association happened automaticly with the 7zip installation.

I tried removing 7zip and reinstalling, but no joy.

Suggestions,\

Thanks,

Monte

Gene

You need to use the 64 bit version, as far as I know, for these associations to take place.  As I recall, this was either done without asking during installation or I was asked during that process.

Sent: Sunday, November 17, 2019 6:24 AM

Hi List,

I’m using the current nvda and win10 1903.

I download and install 7zip; it is on the taskbar.

When I open the aps menu on a zipped   folder, neither 7zip or its submenu are in the available choices.

I know I need to do something to associate 7zip with zipped folders, I do not know how to do this.

In win xp, 7 and 8x this association happened automaticly with the 7zip installation.

I tried removing 7zip and reinstalling, but no joy.

Suggestions,\

Thanks,

Monte

Monte Single

The installation went smoothly. I will try again.