cost of open book

Jeffrey Schwartz

For the member who told me it was now one fifty, I just called vfo and it is now one thousand   Things are really changing at vfo.

Jeff

Carlos

LOL I seriously doubt OpenBook was ever $150.

----- Original Message -----
Sent: Tuesday, September 12, 2017 3:41 PM
Subject: [TechTalk] cost of open book

For the member who told me it was now one fifty, I just called vfo and it is now one thousand   Things are really changing at vfo.

Jeff

george b <gbmagoo@...>

It was originally many years ago a price of 1500.00

Thus the price has came down so how about that

From: main@TechTalk.groups.io [mailto:main@TechTalk.groups.io] On Behalf Of Carlos
Sent: September 12, 2017 12:44
To: main@TechTalk.groups.io
Subject: Re: [TechTalk] cost of open book

Jeff

Gerald Levy

Jeff, $1000 is the cost of Open Book if you are purchasing it for the first time.  But if you purchased it in the past and have the serial number, the cost to upgrade it is only $300.  When I upgraded from Open Book 7 to Open Book 9, that’s what VFO charged me.

Gerald

Jeff

Blackwell, Clifford

The $150 price is an upgrade price from an earlier version.

From: main@TechTalk.groups.io [mailto:main@TechTalk.groups.io] On Behalf Of Jeffrey Schwartz
Sent: Tuesday, September 12, 2017 2:41 PM

Jeff

Gerald Levy

If you don’t want to spend $1000 to purchase a new copy of Open Book, another text to speech program you might want to consider is DocuScan Plus from Serotek, which only costs $400.  Keep in mind that DocuScan Plus is not as feature rich as Open Book, but it might well suffice for your needs if all you want to do is read simple documents.  Also keep in mind that Serotek is on shaky ground these days, having recently lost its chief programmer, and so its future is uncertain.  For more info about DocuScan Plus:

Gerald

Jeff

Jeffrey Schwartz

I think I’ll wait for the new version of Jaws.  They claim that they can do ocr from a scanner or camera.

Jeff

From: main@TechTalk.groups.io [mailto:main@TechTalk.groups.io] On Behalf Of Gerald Levy
Sent: Tuesday, September 12, 2017 3:52 PM

Jeff, $1000 is the cost of Open Book if you are purchasing it for the first time.  But if you purchased it in the past and have the serial number, the cost to upgrade it is only $300.  When I upgraded from Open Book 7 to Open Book 9, that’s what VFO charged me.

Gerald

Jeff

Josh Kennedy <joshknnd1982@...>

I'll just use my phone with knfb reader to scan stuff. much more affordable.

On 9/12/2017 3:53 PM, george b wrote:

It was originally many years ago a price of 1500.00

Thus the price has came down so how about that

From: main@TechTalk.groups.io [mailto:main@TechTalk.groups.io] On Behalf Of Carlos
Sent: September 12, 2017 12:44

Jeff

-- 
sent with mozilla thunderbird

or for $250 you could get a moto e 4th gen plus smartPhone, plus knfb reader. then scan your stuff and save to dropbox to sink to the computer.

On 9/12/2017 4:00 PM, Gerald Levy wrote:

If you don’t want to spend $1000 to purchase a new copy of Open Book, another text to speech program you might want to consider is DocuScan Plus from Serotek, which only costs $400.  Keep in mind that DocuScan Plus is not as feature rich as Open Book, but it might well suffice for your needs if all you want to do is read simple documents.  Also keep in mind that Serotek is on shaky ground these days, having recently lost its chief programmer, and so its future is uncertain.  For more info about DocuScan Plus:

Gerald

Jeff

-- 

knfb reader with my phone works good. But I plan on getting a new phone nex year with a better camera maybe a 12mp or 13mp camera. It may give better OCR results. the moto e 4th gen plus with android 7.1 or maybe a moto g latest gen phone I think will due fine for me. with all the books out on the blio accessible ebooks website, bookshare and nls bard I don't do a whole lot of scanning these days.

On 9/12/2017 4:05 PM, Jeffrey Schwartz wrote:

I think I’ll wait for the new version of Jaws.  They claim that they can do ocr from a scanner or camera.

Jeff

From: main@TechTalk.groups.io [mailto:main@TechTalk.groups.io] On Behalf Of Gerald Levy

Gerald

Jeff

-- 

Pamela Dominguez

That’s still expensive for an upgrade.  The cost of upgrading kuezweil is $125, if my memory serves; and you don’t have to pay more if you miss upgrades.  Pam.

Sent: Tuesday, September 12, 2017 3:51 PM

Gerald

Jeff

Virus-free. www.avg.com

Dennis L <dennisl1982@...>

The new version of Jaws looks great.

From: main@TechTalk.groups.io [mailto:main@TechTalk.groups.io] On Behalf Of Jeffrey Schwartz
Sent: Tuesday, September 12, 2017 4:06 PM

Jeff

Gerald

Jeff

Pamela Dominguez

I don’t find that scanning stuff with my phone works well, most of the time.  Pam.

Sent: Tuesday, September 12, 2017 4:11 PM

or for $250 you could get a moto e 4th gen plus smartPhone, plus knfb reader. then scan your stuff and save to dropbox to sink to the computer.

Gerald

Jeff

--

Virus-free. www.avg.com

I get very good scanned results with my phone. I position the camera until I get a nearly perfect field of view report then take the picture.

On 9/12/2017 4:41 PM, Pamela Dominguez wrote:
I don’t find that scanning stuff with my phone works well, most of the time.  Pam.

Gerald

Jeff

--

Virus-free. www.avg.com

-- 

Carlos

Are you using KNFB Reader?  If not, that will make a huge difference.  KNFB Reader is almost considered the gold standard when scanning with a smart phone these days.

Sent: Tuesday, September 12, 2017 4:41 PM

Gerald

Jeff

--

Virus-free. www.avg.com

Pamela Dominguez

Yes; that’s what I have.  I don’t have a smart phone; I have the n95, but it has the KNFB mobile reader.  That’s why I bought it.  Otherwise, I would have a much simpler phone.  Pam.

Sent: Tuesday, September 12, 2017 5:02 PM

Are you using KNFB Reader?  If not, that will make a huge difference.  KNFB Reader is almost considered the gold standard when scanning with a smart phone these days.

Gerald

Jeff

--

Virus-free. www.avg.com

Carlos

Part of the problem may also be your camera.  Feature phones often have less advanced/lower quality cameras than the ones included in most smart phones.

Sent: Tuesday, September 12, 2017 5:30 PM

Yes; that’s what I have.  I don’t have a smart phone; I have the n95, but it has the KNFB mobile reader.  That’s why I bought it.  Otherwise, I would have a much simpler phone.  Pam.

Are you using KNFB Reader?  If not, that will make a huge difference.  KNFB Reader is almost considered the gold standard when scanning with a smart phone these days.

Gerald

Jeff

--

Virus-free. www.avg.com

Jeffrey Schwartz

I had the first KNFBdevice when I was working.  I found it to be virtually useless, even for scanning currency.  At that time it cost over two thousand bucks.  I think that Kurzweil is a pioneer.  He invented the first scanner/ocr It was the size of a washing machine and was only found in libraries, but he was the only one to conceptualize such a device for the blind and make one.

Jeff

Are you using KNFB Reader?  If not, that will make a huge difference.  KNFB Reader is almost considered the gold standard when scanning with a smart phone these days.

Gerald

Jeff

--

Virus-free. www.avg.com

Carlos

I remember being one of the first to be trained on that huge Kurzweil reading machine when we got one at the public library.

Sent: Tuesday, September 12, 2017 5:48 PM

I had the first KNFBdevice when I was working.  I found it to be virtually useless, even for scanning currency.  At that time it cost over two thousand bucks.  I think that Kurzweil is a pioneer.  He invented the first scanner/ocr It was the size of a washing machine and was only found in libraries, but he was the only one to conceptualize such a device for the blind and make one.

Jeff

Gerald

Jeff

--

Virus-free. www.avg.com

I had one of the older nokia n86 phones with knfb on it. got it off ebay for maybe $200 or so. That was a good many years ago. I never could get very good results with it either. For some reason the android phones and iPhones seem to work lots better with knfb reader.

On 9/12/2017 5:30 PM, Pamela Dominguez wrote:

Gerald

Jeff

--

Virus-free. www.avg.com

--