Sent: Tuesday, September 12, 2017 4:45 PM
Subject: [TechTalk] Cost of New IPhone

Remember how everyone was hoping that the price of an IPhone would eventually come down as manufacturing costs were reduced by economies of scale?  Well, guess what?  Just the opposite is happening.  Apple announced the much anticipated IPhone 8 today, and it willsell for $799.  And the new IPhone X, which features facial recognition will sell for a ridiculous $999.  But hey,all the Apple lovers on this list are probably just licking their chops to get their hands on one of them, even though they may have to go on a macaroni and cheese diet to afford one.

Gerald

Rob Hudson <rob_hudson_3182@...>

Carlos <carlos1106@gmx.com> wrote:
Most people get an iPhone the same way they get any other expensive smart phone, as part of a contract or deal with the cell provider.
Yeah but then you get gouged with interest and other surcharges, which makes the phone more expensive over the term of the contract lol. So it's probably cheaper relatively speaking to just plunk down your credit card and go on that canned tuna diet.

Carlos

Not necessarily, because many cell providers will also allow you to trade in your outdated model for a significantly discounted price as newer models are released.

Most people get an iPhone the same way they get any other expensive smart phone, as part of a contract or deal with the cell provider.
Yeah but then you get gouged with interest and other surcharges, which makes the phone more expensive over the term of the contract lol. So it's probably cheaper relatively speaking to just plunk down your credit card and go on that canned tuna diet.

Rob Hudson <rob_hudson_3182@...>

Carlos <carlos1106@gmx.com> wrote:
Not necessarily, because many cell providers will also allow you to trade in
your outdated model for a significantly discounted price as newer models are
released.

What happens to those old phones anyway. I always wondered that.

Cristóbal

They start at $699.00 actually.  Back in the day the 16 GB model cost you $650.00 but now for $50 more, you can get 64 GB which used to be the max size and for $100 more, you can get four times the storage. Not to mention all the extra technology that is now included with these models. So yeah, try again.

Remember how everyone was hoping that the price of an IPhone would eventually come down as manufacturing costs were reduced by economies of scale?  Well, guess what?  Just the opposite is happening.  Apple announced the much anticipated IPhone 8 today, and it willsell for $799.  And the new IPhone X, which features facial recognition will sell for a ridiculous $999.  But hey,all the Apple lovers on this list are probably just licking their chops to get their hands on one of them, even though they may have to go on a macaroni and cheese diet to afford one.

Gerald

Cristóbal

Secondary market baby. Overseas or resold as refurbs or in bulk to corporate
or the government.

Not necessarily, because many cell providers will also allow you to
trade in your outdated model for a significantly discounted price as
newer models are released.

What happens to those old phones anyway. I always wondered that.

Jeffrey Schwartz

I’m only enthused with Apple re the price of their stock which my wife has in her IRA.  I think that their products, save price, are good for the sighted.  My brother who is a no b.s. IT guy who has a pc and an I phone which for him is a pc in his pocket.  The new android phones seem as good to me, simply seeing friends use them

Jeff

When are you going to get it through your head that many people, blind or otherwise, are not paying for the full price of an iPhone out of pocket?  No matter how many times it has been explained, you keep harping on this point.  Most people get an iPhone the same way they get any other expensive smart phone, as part of a contract or deal with the cell provider.  Not that I'm an Apple fan myself, but it makes no sense to stubbornly cling to a misconception which has been explained over and over.

Remember how everyone was hoping that the price of an IPhone would eventually come down as manufacturing costs were reduced by economies of scale?  Well, guess what?  Just the opposite is happening.  Apple announced the much anticipated IPhone 8 today, and it willsell for $799.  And the new IPhone X, which features facial recognition will sell for a ridiculous $999.  But hey,all the Apple lovers on this list are probably just licking their chops to get their hands on one of them, even though they may have to go on a macaroni and cheese diet to afford one.

Gerald

Carlos

And the fact is that as with many expensive items, what is most cost effective is not necessarily most realistic. If you don't have $700 to spend out of pocket, then you don't have it. If you don't have $30000 to spend for that new car, then you pay it off over a period of time despite interest rates as most people do.

Most people get an iPhone the same way they get any other expensive smart phone, as part of a contract or deal with the cell provider.
Yeah but then you get gouged with interest and other surcharges, which makes the phone more expensive over the term of the contract lol. So it's probably cheaper relatively speaking to just plunk down your credit card and go on that canned tuna diet.

Rob Hudson <rob_hudson_3182@...>

Carlos <carlos1106@gmx.com> wrote:
If you don't have $700 to
spend out of pocket, then you don't have it. If you don't have $30000 to
spend for that new car, then you pay it off over a period of time despite
interest rates as most people do.

Yes but a car and/or a house can appreciate in value. Phones are outdated in three years lol.
Anyway I don't care one way or the other. This is just a fun discussion for me.

Pamela Dominguez

Most people don't notice that, or they don't seem to care, as long as they don't see the price all at once. Pam.

Most people get an iPhone the same way they get any other expensive smart phone, as part of a contract or deal with the cell provider.
Yeah but then you get gouged with interest and other surcharges, which makes the phone more expensive over the term of the contract lol. So it's probably cheaper relatively speaking to just plunk down your credit card and go on that canned tuna diet.

---
http://www.avg.com

Cristóbal

Correction. Looks like the 256 model is $150 more. Either way, if you’re in for $700, then going the extra $150 for a much larger amount of storage is the more cost effective move. And again, beats the prices the 16 GB iPhones used to go for. They’ve in short lowered their prices, not by actually lowering the price, but scaling up what you get for the price points you’re used to paying by now.

[...]

Right, but that's when being able to trade them in for newer models at a discounted price comes in handy. I've seen my brother get a couple of Samsung Galaxies for $200. One for himself and one for his girlfriend who is on his plan.

spend out of pocket, then you don't have it. If you don't have $30000 to
spend for that new car, then you pay it off over a period of time despite
interest rates as most people do.

Yes but a car and/or a house can appreciate in value. Phones are outdated in three years lol.
Anyway I don't care one way or the other. This is just a fun discussion for me.

Rob Hudson <rob_hudson_3182@...>

Carlos <carlos1106@gmx.com> wrote:
I've seen my brother get a couple of
Samsung Galaxies for $200. One for himself and one for his girlfriend who
is on his plan.

That's the phone I have. Got it in 2015 and it still works great.
I found a driver/assistant last week and she has an eyephone. I told her I would have to start burning sage every time she came over here because, until she showed up, nothing Apple has ever oozed into my house. My house will now need purifying.

Jeffrey Schwartz

There are people on the net who buy them, do any repairs necessary and sell
them to people looking for a bargain. If I were in the market for an
Iphone, I would go to one of these sights and get the last version for a
huge savings. Most of the Iphone imnprovements are bogus. We will have
people standing in line to pay two hundred for facial recognition and more
space which they will never use.
Jeff

Not necessarily, because many cell providers will also allow you to
trade in your outdated model for a significantly discounted price as
newer models are released.

What happens to those old phones anyway. I always wondered that.

Lenron

you can't say they won't ever use that space. I have a 64 gb IPhone
and I have ran out of space a couple times. Do you also forget some
people take lots of pictures and 4K video is a thing as well. Not
everyone wants to keep everything in the cloud. Also I see nothing
wrong with face id, I am happy with using a device that has touch id
for now but who knows I might not always feel this way.

--
Lenron Brown
Cell: 985-271-2832

Jeffrey Schwartz

You can store your pictures in the cloud for less than the extra space on an Iphone.

Not necessarily, because many cell providers will also allow you to
trade in your outdated model for a significantly discounted price as
newer models are released.

What happens to those old phones anyway. I always wondered that.

--
Lenron Brown
Cell: 985-271-2832
Skype: ron.brown762

Lenron

Did you miss where I said if I wanted to record 4k video or any video
really? Also a lot of the time you still pay for that cloud storage on
a month to month bases. It's still nice to have options. Something
that would have made the new release of the IPhone 10 even better, if
they would have offered the airpods with it.

On 9/12/17, Jeffrey Schwartz <jeffreyschwartz0238@comcast.net> wrote:
You can store your pictures in the cloud for less than the extra space on an
Iphone.

Not necessarily, because many cell providers will also allow you to
trade in your outdated model for a significantly discounted price as
newer models are released.

What happens to those old phones anyway. I always wondered that.

--
Lenron Brown
Cell: 985-271-2832
Skype: ron.brown762

--
Lenron Brown
Cell: 985-271-2832
Skype: ron.brown762

Carolyn Arnold

They do offer good storage, and I think a good processor.
They have good battery time too. I don't want one, because
right now, for my needs, they are not suitable.

Best from,

Carolyn

Remember how everyone was hoping that the price of an IPhone
would eventually come down as manufacturing costs were
reduced by economies of scale? Well, guess what? Just the
opposite is happening. Apple announced the much anticipated
IPhone 8 today, and it willsell for $799. And the new
IPhone X, which features facial recognition will sell for a
ridiculous $999. But hey,all the Apple lovers on this list
are probably just licking their chops to get their hands on
one of them, even though they may have to go on a macaroni
and cheese diet to afford one.

Gerald

Janet

Gerald,

So Apple announced the much anticipated IPhone 8 today, and it willsell for $799.  Not bad, as I paid that exact same amount back in 2014 for an iPhone 6!  Aw yeah, this Apple lover is licking her chops all right!  I’d love to get my hands on these new phones!  T-Mobile has a great offer of $300 on a trade in, and free upgrade to a 256 bit.  Aw you can sure bet I just might take them up on this!  macaroni and cheese with fish for dinner tonight for me!  Thank you for the idea!

Janet