GPS route planning

Walter Ramage

Hi all.  When the trekker maestro was current it was possible to plan a route by entering an origin point then the destination point.  You could then examine the route before attempting it.  In other words from my home I could set the origin point as a train station hundreds of miles from my location and put in the destination; say a hotel or restaurant and preview the route in advance.  When the Trekker Maestro was discontinued and the Trekker Breeze, then the Breeze plus took it's place that feature was discontinued.  As I understand it the new Victor Reader Trek will also not have this helpful feature.  Does anybody know of an accessible GPS system that does have this feature or iPhone app that has the feature?  I have Blindsquare and it doesn't have this ability.  I've listened to podcasts about the RNIB navigator but that also didn't appear to have this feature.  In looking for something with that feature It would appear that the emphasis with accessible GPS is more on orientation than route finding or planning.  By the way, I'm in the UK so that might limit what is available or can be suggested.  Walter.

Edward Green <ergreen1981@...>

Hi Walter,

If you have a PC, Sendero PC Maps will do what you want.

Cheers,

Ed

On 14 Sep 2017, at 21:40, Walter Ramage via Groups.Io <wpr@...> wrote:

[...]

Hi Edward.  Thanks for that.  I've just looked at their sight and they want $400 for their maps.  I'm a little bit confused because for that $400 I don't know what I get, especially when I notice that "additional" map bundles for various countries are available.  For example Europe is $48 but is that $48 on top of the $400?  It does sound rather expensive for what it offers unless there is a lot more to it than I'm imagining.  Walter.

[...]

I think what you need costs $79, as you don't need the GPS functionality if you're exploring the route virtually, unless of course you want to use your PC when you're out and about navigating the route.

Cheers,

Ed

On 14 Sep 2017, at 22:48, Walter Ramage via Groups.Io <wpr@...> wrote:

[...]

Jennifer Jackson <jennsjackson@...>

Check into the Nearby Explorer app. My understanding is that it does have route planning and exploring. It gets great reviews, and while a little pricey seems to be a one time fee. Less than $100 if I remember correctly.

Jennifer

On  Sep 14, 2017, at 4:28 PM, Edward Green <ergreen1981@...> wrote:

[...]

Hi Jennifer,

Unfortunately Nearby Explorer isn't available in the UK App Store as yet.  Ordinarily this wouldn't be a problem as I'd just use my US Apple ID, but unfortunately Nearby Explorer doesn't have maps for the UK as I understand it.

You're right though, it does have that route creation feature.

Cheers,

Ed

On 15 Sep 2017, at 00:55, Jennifer Jackson <jennsjackson@...> wrote:

[...]

Hi Edward.  Right, went back in and had a better look and I found what you mentioned.  It did say $79 but it also said for a one year licence, does that mean an annual charge of $79 indefinitely for as long as you want to use the product?  Walter.

[...]

It might be worth confirming this with Sendero, but I believe there is a licence renewal fee.  However, I don't think it's as high as purchasing the initial licence - it may be around $50.

Cheers,

Ed

On 15 Sep 2017, at 09:09, Walter Ramage via Groups.Io <wpr@...> wrote:

[...]

Chris Grabowski <skywalker@...>

If you are talking about SenderoMaps the license is for the map year.
So if you buy it for $79 you get the product for the 2017 maps, not 2018
maps.
If you want to upgrade in 2020 you would pay the upgrade price.

The SenderoMaps is a virtual only product, IE it doesn't have live GPS
tracking. Sendero PC GPS is SenderoMaps but does have live GPS tracking.
The Sendero PC GPS is the $400 product.

Chris Grabowski
Mystic Access
Where the magic is in learning.
https://www.MysticAccess.com
Ready to begin using your assistive technology with confidence while actually having fun? Visit us to learn about our comprehensive audio tutorials, one-on-one support and ongoing teleclasses. We also offer eclectic and timely assistive technology podcasts, a newsletter containing exclusive news and discounts, regularly updated free downloads, and so much more.
Contact:
Phone: (716) 543-3323 (Ext. 500)
Twitter: MysticAccess
Facebook: mysticaccessempower

On Fri, 15 Sep 2017 09:09:59 +0100
"Walter Ramage via Groups.Io" <wpr=blueyonder.co.uk@groups.io> wrote:

[...]

One thing I forgot to say is SenderoMaps and Sendero GPS are only
Windows based programs.

On Fri, 15 Sep 2017 05:31:10 -0400
"Chris Grabowski" <skywalker@echobase.win> wrote:

[...]

Ann Parsons

Hi all,

According to the info obtained from Greg Stilson's podcast on Accessible World, of last Monday, this feature will be added in the next update to the Stream Trek.

Ann P.

--
Ann K. Parsons
Portal Tutoring

"All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost."

Chris Grabowski <skywalker@...>

He said a future update but it was high priority, not the "next update."

Chris Grabowski
Mystic Access
Where the magic is in learning.
https://www.MysticAccess.com
Ready to begin using your assistive technology with confidence while actually having fun? Visit us to learn about our comprehensive audio tutorials, one-on-one support and ongoing teleclasses. We also offer eclectic and timely assistive technology podcasts, a newsletter containing exclusive news and discounts, regularly updated free downloads, and so much more.
Contact:
Phone: (716) 543-3323 (Ext. 500)
Twitter: MysticAccess
Facebook: mysticaccessempower

On Fri, 15 Sep 2017 06:34:34 -0400
"Ann Parsons" <akp@sero.email> wrote:

[...]

Hi. Ah, right, I see. So if I wanted I could just continue using whatever
licence I've purchased but if I wanted to update to the most current map I'd
have to pay the fee? Walter.

[...]

Hi.  OK, then it is going to take a lot of thinking because there are so many options as regards Sendero.  It might be worth the ongoing expense but I'm just embarking on an expensive hi-Fi upgrade so expenditure on the Sendero option might have to wait until I find out just how much this hi-fi upgrade is going to come to.  Walter.

[...]

You are correct.

Chris Grabowski
Mystic Access
Where the magic is in learning.
https://www.MysticAccess.com
Ready to begin using your assistive technology with confidence while actually having fun? Visit us to learn about our comprehensive audio tutorials, one-on-one support and ongoing teleclasses. We also offer eclectic and timely assistive technology podcasts, a newsletter containing exclusive news and discounts, regularly updated free downloads, and so much more.
Contact:
Phone: (716) 543-3323 (Ext. 500)
Twitter: MysticAccess
Facebook: mysticaccessempower

On Fri, 15 Sep 2017 14:56:31 +0100
[...]

Marie <magpie.mn@...>

Have you tried out one of the online mapping sites. Both Google and Map Quest can do what you need for free.
Marie

[...]

Hi.  Thanks, I'll have a look.  Walter.

[...]

There's a version of Nearby Explorer that's free, but you will most
certainly need data to use it because it requires connection to the
Internet.

Sincerely,
Olusegun
Denver, Colorado

Michael Boyd <mike122061@...>

Hi Walter,

If you have a smart phone, Android or iPhone, you can download the Google Maps app. It is free and very easy to use and is always up to date on the latest routes.

Michael

[...]

You will also need an Android device for that version.