Sent: Saturday, September 23, 2017 12:52 PM
Subject: [TechTalk] O E 6 question

Although I am quite happy with Thunderbird as an email client, I opted to try this incarnation of O E 6.  When I tried the program in the past, it worked reasonably well but had one major problem at least on my PCs.  Often the DBX folders would become corrupted, and I would lose saved messages.  So I am not going to invest very much time and energy with O E 6 until I know that this problem has been resolved.

I would like to know whether it is possible to export all major components of this program, specifically the subfolders and the message rules, not just the saved messages.  If so, please tell me how to do it.

Thanks.

Don Roberts

Gene

I don't know if the problem is worse when using the program in versions of Windows later than XP.  But that was one of the problems with Outlook Express.  That the DBX files became corrupted now and then.  Other e-mail programs don't use the Microsoft Outlook Express DBX system.

Just one more reason that I say, unless you insist on having identities, there are better options these days.

I don't expect any technical problems with Outlook Expressed to be addressed by the person who modified it to allow it to run with higher versions than XP.  I haven't heard of the person making any other modifications to the program except those to allow it to run in higher versions of Windows.

Gene

From: Carlos
I'm not sure that saving the rules to a text file is possible by any means I am currently aware of.  However, you can backup the rules by exporting the registry key in which they are stored to a .reg file.  You can then merge this .reg file back into the registry if you ever need to restore your rules for any reason.

1. Open the "Run" dialog by pressing WindowsKey+R.
2. When the "Run" dialog opens, type the following command as an example to save the Outlook Express rules to a file named OE.reg.

regedit /E "D:\Backup\OE.reg" HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Identities

This is just an example and will not work unless you already have an existing folder named

Backup

on your (D) drive.  You should change the path/folder in the above example to a location that you know exists on your system.  Preferably somewhere you can easily find it.  You can also change the file name.

If you ever need to restore your Outlook Express rules, just select this file and press Enter.  Windows will ask if you are sure you want to continue.  You should select
"Yes"
If all works as expected, the registry editor will display a message indicating that the keys and values were successfully added to the registry.  The rules should now be restored.  Note, if you are restoring your rules on to a new system or into a fresh installation of Windows, make sure to restore this file before you run Outlook Express for the first time.  When ever Outlook Express is run for the first time, it creates a new identity with a unique ID string.  It uses that ID string as part of the folder path where it stores mailbox files and as part of the registry path where it stores settings for the new identity.  If you run Outlook Express before restoring the rules, the ID string for the new identity and the ID string for the old identity saved in the registry file will not match.  If you restore the rules first, then when you run Outlook Express it will create the new identity and associated path using the ID string which was saved in the .reg file.
Carlos
Take care.  Mike.  Go Dodgers!
Sent from my iBarstool.
Sent: Saturday, September 23, 2017 9:52 AM

Although I am quite happy with Thunderbird as an email client, I opted to try this incarnation of O E 6.  When I tried the program in the past, it worked reasonably well but had one major problem at least on my PCs.  Often the DBX folders would become corrupted, and I would lose saved messages.  So I am not going to invest very much time and energy with O E 6 until I know that this problem has been resolved.

I would like to know whether it is possible to export all major components of this program, specifically the subfolders and the message rules, not just the saved messages.  If so, please tell me how to do it.

Thanks.

Don Roberts

Donald L. Roberts

Hi Mike, Much, much appreciated.  I will definitely save this for future reference.

Incidentally, speaking of saved messages, any message I receive  which I choose to save, I now save to a text file in a specific Dropbox folder.  This probably sounds rather eccentric; however, I get a lot of messages whose subject lines leave something to be desired.  In this way, I can annotate it with a subject line of my own choosing, and it is stored externally in case of a crash.

Don Roberts

Sent: Saturday, September 23, 2017 9:52 AM

Although I am quite happy with Thunderbird as an email client, I opted to try this incarnation of O E 6.  When I tried the program in the past, it worked reasonably well but had one major problem at least on my PCs.  Often the DBX folders would become corrupted, and I would lose saved messages.  So I am not going to invest very much time and energy with O E 6 until I know that this problem has been resolved.

I would like to know whether it is possible to export all major components of this program, specifically the subfolders and the message rules, not just the saved messages.  If so, please tell me how to do it.

Thanks.

Don Roberts

Carlos

It can be added if you have access to Office 2003.  Just install the spell checker component.  There are also a couple of third-party spell checkers, but they're pretty horrible.

[...]

I save all my notes in both EML & TXT formats, save them to an external drive, & rename them so I can access them more quickly .  They're also saved in folders / sub-folders according to specific topics.
Take care.  Mike.  Go Dodgers!
Sent from my iBarstool.

Sent: Saturday, September 23, 2017 1:22 PM

Sent: Saturday, September 23, 2017 9:52 AM

Although I am quite happy with Thunderbird as an email client, I opted to try this incarnation of O E 6.  When I tried the program in the past, it worked reasonably well but had one major problem at least on my PCs.  Often the DBX folders would become corrupted, and I would lose saved messages.  So I am not going to invest very much time and energy with O E 6 until I know that this problem has been resolved.

I would like to know whether it is possible to export all major components of this program, specifically the subfolders and the message rules, not just the saved messages.  If so, please tell me how to do it.

Thanks.

Don Roberts

Keith S

s what I do, or, if I just want to keep a recipe or info from my family, I save them as .txt format and save them to an external drive (SD card, external hard drive, etc).

Sent: Saturday, September 23, 2017 1:22 PM