From: "Melissa Hammitt" <mjmarney@gmail.com>
To: <TechTalk@groups.io>
Sent: Friday, February 12, 2016 1:09 AM
Subject: [TechTalk] android queries

I was just curious about the subject and didn't tfind a link that
basically broke it all down for me.
What I was wondering was: what OS do android phones use? I've heard
the names marshmellow, kitKat, raspberry pie , and lollipop. What
the heck is the difference? If there aren't quick answers I wouldn't
mind if someone just gave me a link to find out the answers.
I was curious because ever since I started using a smart phone I have
used an iPhone and while I think they're great it doesn't help me when
the other members of my family have android phones. (namely galaxy 5
or something like that.) Do you have to download talkback (I think
that is the name) or does it already come with the phone? Are their
different versions which work differently with the other candy
sounding names of OSs?
Are the settings basically the same across phones or do they change
when the brand of phone does?

Øyvind Lode

Hello.

KitKat, Lollipop, Marshmallow and so on is only code names or release
names instead of android 4.4, android 5.x and 6.x.

Android phones is called android phones because they are running the
android operating system.

I'm running android 6.0.1 also called marshmallow on my Nexus 6P which
is the latest version of android.
Galaxy S5 is a Samsung device and the UI is different from my device.

Talkback is included in the android OS on most devices including Samsung.

For more info:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Android_%28operating_system%29

or android.com

Please let me know if you have further questions.

On 12 February 2016 at 07:09, Melissa Hammitt <mjmarney@gmail.com> wrote:
[...]

Hi Melissa:

Carlos and Oyvind have already given fairly comprehensive answers to your questions about Android phones. Please permit me to add a few thoughts:

The Android platform is analogous to an open platform--indeed, it is! This permits device manufacturers to add their own bells and whistles as they wish; some of these bells and whistles can enhance the performance of the device, some are unneeded bloatware especially from an accessibility perspective.

On the Android platform, you have more than one text-to-speech engine to choose from--Eloquence, Vocalizer, Voxygen, Ivona which is free, but I understand it is being taken down from the Google Playstore--Acapela Voices, and more. As such, you can use whichever TTS engine you fill most comfortable with.

On an Android phone, you don't need three-finger swipes; two-finger ones is there, but you can customize it as you wish. For example, to launch an app, I find the app's icon on my phone, tap once and the app launches. You don't have to use the default app launcher if you don't like it. You can download so many different launchers, take each one through its paces, and then settle for the one that meets your needs.

Android phones are more reasonably priced; most of them are generally unlocked and can be used on almost any carrier of your own choosing.

I will suggest that you play with the Android phones used by members of your family if they'll let you; it is important that in doing so, you approach Android with a very open-mind! Think of it as the difference between Windows and macintosh. There will be quite a bit of a learning curve, and you may need more than an ounce of patience!

As blind individuals, each one of us swears by our prized possessions; Android is my preference because I take joy in exploring; additionally, an Android device fitted snugly in my hands and I just took it home for good. I hope it'll be the same for you after you have had a chance to knock it around for a bit.

Sincerely,
Olusegun
Denver, Colorado

Thanks all for the info.
The using of names instead of version numbers is confusing.... To me
it seemed like each name was a different type of OS. If I remember
right it is linux based and linux has, to my knowledge, a few
different types too. Right now I can only remember Red Hat and that is
because I learned it 10+ years ago and it was version 6 or 7 I think.
Don't ask me anything about it now though because like most things I
can learn fast if I don't use it it sinks into my brain and the info
is only triggered by trivia questions or the right phrases, haha. I'm
really good at Jeopardy~

On 2/12/16, Øyvind Lode <oyvind.lode@gmail.com> wrote:
[...]

Laz

They're in alphabetical order. For example Marshmallow is a higher
version than Lollipop which in turn is higher than KitKat, etc. I hope
that clears up the names somewhat.

Laz

On 2/13/16, Melissa Hammitt <mjmarney@gmail.com> wrote:
[...]

Bluetooth devices, and accessories