ssd vurses old drive system

heather albright

Hello, I having issues trying to decide on my knew laptop. Where is the deal, hp saids I don’t need the other drive and just need an ssd drive of 256 with 16 gb. So where are all the files going to go and how will affect jaws useage etc. DO I need the other drive too?  I really wish all this stuff was in a store that I can go too, this online thing is really giving me headaches; how can you buy something and you cant see it! I always see items in the store and purchease them online for cheaper prices! Sie, Heather

Heather Albright
Blindness is a characteristic, not a handicap!" Dr. Kenneth Jernigan
ham call sign:
kd5cbl
e-mail:
kd5cbl@...

Peter Spitz

How much storage capacity do you need? Is the 256GB enough for you?
It's not for me but that's just me. Also, be aware that you shouldn't
erase the free space on an SSDD if you do that on your current drives
as it will greatly shorten the life of the drive. I'm not sure why, I
have just been warned not to do that. I like to do secure erases on
my data at times.

Peter

On 9/26/17, heather albright <kd5cbl@...> wrote:
Hello, I having issues trying to decide on my knew laptop. Where is the
deal, hp saids I don’t need the other drive and just need an ssd drive of
256 with 16 gb. So where are all the files going to go and how will affect
jaws useage etc. DO I need the other drive too? I really wish all this
stuff was in a store that I can go too, this online thing is really giving
me headaches; how can you buy something and you cant see it! I always see
items in the store and purchease them online for cheaper prices! Sie,
Heather

Heather Albright
Blindness is a characteristic, not a handicap!" Dr. Kenneth Jernigan
ham call sign:
kd5cbl
e-mail:
kd5cbl@...

Well, Heather, are there NO COMPUTER stores where you live? If there are,
you can certainly go in there and ask a trillion questions even if you
choose to buy online. Chances are that a typical computer store in your
locale will have on the shelf what you've been staring at online.

I tend to purchase laptops and such from a computer store; I spend time
playing with the particular one I am interested in, and then, of course, I
am horrible at negotiating prices until I get what I can live with.

As a rule, I do not buy brand-new laptops. I got a refurbished Sony Vaio
five years ago and I am pounding on it as I type this. It runs Windows7
Professional 64Bit but with the hard drive, not SSD. I also have a
refurbished Asus that runs Windows8.1! I particularly don't care for this
one, I keep it in my office so that when I need help with something, I can
shove sighted folks in its direction. It too has a regular hard drive.

If you can, please read as much info as you can find on and about SSD's;
this way, when you go to a computer store, you have some knowledge. You can
of course ask them more questions on the subject matter. Anyway, grab your
trusted smartphone, ask Siri or Ms. Google to show you the list of computer
stores near you; visit one or two depending on what you can handle. I
typically visit about three! I've had much luck with Microcenter and that's
been where I get my laptops. As for desktops, I grab parts and build my own
and they generally last me ten years and counting!

Sincerely,
Olusegun
Denver, Colorado

Michael Mote

Hi Heather!  It really depends on the amount of disk space that you need.  SSD drives are faster, and you can definitely tell the difference in speed when loading your programs.

I use both on a daily basis.  I have a 128 GHZ SSD drive.  I am also using an external drive to store a lot of additional files.  I would also recommend using things like One Drive or Google Drive for storage.  This way you have access to your files no matter what system you are using.

These are my thoughts.  Hope this helps!

Hello, I having issues trying to decide on my knew laptop. Where is the deal, hp saids I don’t need the other drive and just need an ssd drive of 256 with 16 gb. So where are all the files going to go and how will affect jaws useage etc. DO I need the other drive too?  I really wish all this stuff was in a store that I can go too, this online thing is really giving me headaches; how can you buy something and you cant see it! I always see items in the store and purchease them online for cheaper prices! Sie, Heather

Heather Albright
Blindness is a characteristic, not a handicap!" Dr. Kenneth Jernigan
ham call sign:
kd5cbl
e-mail:
kd5cbl@...

Michael Boyd <mike122061@...>

I am using a Lenovo desktop that came with a 128 GB SSD in it. This is plenty enough storage space to run Windows, Jaws and any other programs that you might wish to install on a computer. Then I use an external 1 TB HDD for storage of all files and such that I either create or download. With this set up, you will never have to worry about losing your personal data should your computer crash, only your programs, which can be re-installed. As already mentioned, a One Drive or Dropbox account is always good to have as a completely remote back up location. I use the free Dropbox account and have 1 TB of One Drive space due to my Office 365 subscription.

Michael

Hello, I having issues trying to decide on my knew laptop. Where is the deal, hp saids I don’t need the other drive and just need an ssd drive of 256 with 16 gb. So where are all the files going to go and how will affect jaws useage etc. DO I need the other drive too?  I really wish all this stuff was in a store that I can go too, this online thing is really giving me headaches; how can you buy something and you cant see it! I always see items in the store and purchease them online for cheaper prices! Sie, Heather

Heather Albright
Blindness is a characteristic, not a handicap!" Dr. Kenneth Jernigan
ham call sign:
kd5cbl
e-mail:
kd5cbl@...

heather albright

The only store we have is best buy and Microsoft store and the bestbuy guys are smarter  than Microsoft , woe and that is not saying much. I get more knowledge off this list than I get from the stores. I was able to look at my instructor’s hp invi today and I like the feel of the keyboard. I have yet to see a Lenovo think pad as best buy and the Microsoft store did not have one in the store. San Antonio is so lacking in these kinds of stores, I feel like I am in some kind of dead zone for technology! Heather

[...]

Ah, Heather, I didn't know that about San Antonio! I've always thought and
believed that San Antonio is an MSA--Metropolitan Standard Area, just like
my village here!

Yes, Microsoft won't carry anything HP in its store; that would be too much
competition. I wonder whether an adjoining city or township might have a
few computer stores to shake a stick at? Oh well, I'll let those deploying
SSD's shed more information so I can become a bit more enlightened. The
death of my preferred screen reader is pushing me farther and farther away
from Windows; I'm cobbling apps together as best I can as I seriously want
to ditch Windows and settle for all things Android!

Sincerely,
Olusegun
Denver, Colorado

heather albright

No, Austin is better with stores with technology. Austin is smaller yet, everything is high tec and here I thought I was in a time loop from 50 years ago. Sorry I ever moved downhere god willing I will be moving again and can get out of this sorry place! Heather

[...]

I wanted a 1tb drive like I had with the old machine. Is that the 512 on the ssd? Heather

[...]

Nancy Hill

Heather,

I have a 1TB SSD drive. It was VERY expensive a couple of years ago. Even with it, I move files to 1, 2, or 4 TB external drives as I want to.

It is in my X220 Lenovo laptop which I bought used. It has been a very reliable machine.

Good luck with your new PD whatever configuration you choose.

Nancy