Note and Word Pad Help Please.

Janet

Hi Everyone,
Some years ago, I used to use word pad just to save a personal note, but suddenly for some reason I couldn't find where it was saved when I saved it, and now, I'm having the same problem with notepad as well. I can't find where the text file is being saved. If I try to save it again, I get a message saying this file already exist are you sure you want to replace this file, so apparently the text file is saved somewhere, but I just can't find it. I've looked in the view menu as well as in the file menu, and the properties, but I couldn't find anything that might be of any help. I still can't find where the text files are being saved, as I usually save them to my download folder. I know apparently I must be doing something that is making these changes, but I don't know what that might be.
I'm running Windows 7 with JAWS 18.

Any thoughts please?
Janet
note pad, but I just noticed when I save a note or

Jujube

Check where you're saving it in the save file window.

----- Original Message -----
To: main@TechTalk.groups.io
Date sent: Sat, 28 Oct 2017 23:44:58 +0000
Subject: [TechTalk] Note and Word Pad Help Please.

Hi Everyone,
Some years ago, I used to use word pad just to save a personal note, but suddenly for some reason I couldn't find where it was saved when I saved it, and now, I'm having the same problem with notepad as well. I can't find where the text file is being saved. If I try to save it again, I get a message saying this file already exist are you sure you want to replace this file, so apparently the text file is saved somewhere, but I just can't find it. I've looked in the view menu as well as in the file menu, and the properties, but I couldn't find anything that might be of any help. I still can't find where the text files are being saved, as I usually save them to my download folder. I know apparently I must be doing something that is making these changes, but I don't know what that might be.

Any thoughts please?
Janet

Gene

You don't have to save anything to do the following:
Open the save as dialog and, depending on your version of Windows, shift tab once or twice.  In Windows 7 and, I presume higher, it's twice.  I don't know about Vista.  You will be in the list of files and folders, the same kind of list as in my computer.  You can down and up arrow in the list.  If you recognize where you are, you will know where files are being saved.  If you don't, let us know and I can check to see how else to know.  As I recall, you can tab around the save as dialog and you'll find a field where the path to the folder and the folder are shown.  But for more information and to definitely verify what I'm saying, I'll wait to see if you want that information.

When finished looking around, press escape to close the dialog.

Gene

Sent: Saturday, October 28, 2017 6:44 PM

Hi Everyone,
Some years ago, I used to use word pad just to save a personal note, but suddenly for some reason I couldn't find where it was saved when I saved it, and now, I'm having the same problem with notepad as well.  I can't find where the text file is being saved.  If I try to save it again, I get a message saying this file already exist are you sure you want to replace this file, so apparently the text file is saved somewhere, but I just can't find it.  I've looked in the view menu as well as in the file menu, and the properties, but I couldn't find anything that might be of any help.  I still can't find where the text files are being saved, as I usually save them to my download folder.  I know apparently I must be doing something that is making these changes, but I don't know what that might be.

Any thoughts please?
Janet

Jujube

That's what I want to say. You can shift tab from the files list to see the folder you're saving to.

Date sent: Sat, 28 Oct 2017 19:31:53 -0500
Subject: Re: [TechTalk] Note and Word Pad Help Please.

Open the save as dialog and, depending on your version of Windows, shift tab once or twice. In Windows 7 and, I presume higher, it's twice. I don't know about Vista. You will be in the list of files and folders, the same kind of list as in my computer. You can down and up arrow in the list. If you recognize where you are, you will know where files are being saved. If you don't, let us know and I can check to see how else to know. As I recall, you can tab around the save as dialog and you'll find a field where the path to the folder and the folder are shown. But for more information and to definitely verify what I'm saying, I'll wait to see if you want that information.

Gene

Hi Everyone,

Any thoughts please?
Janet

Gene

Yes, but the problem is that if you don't usually use the folder and don't recognize anything else there, you won't know what folder you are in in that way.  If it's a folder you use and recognize the contents of, you will know. 

Gene
----- original Message -----

Sent: Saturday, October 28, 2017 7:34 PM

That's what I want to say.  You can shift tab from the files list
to see the folder you're saving to.

Date sent: Sat, 28 Oct 2017 19:31:53 -0500

Open the save as dialog and, depending on your version of
Windows, shift tab once or twice.  In Windows 7 and, I presume
higher, it's twice.  I don't know about Vista.  You will be in
the list of files and folders, the same kind of list as in my
computer.  You can down and up arrow in the list.  If you
recognize where you are, you will know where files are being
saved.  If you don't, let us know and I can check to see how else
to know.  As I recall, you can tab around the save as dialog and
you'll find a field where the path to the folder and the folder
are shown.  But for more information and to definitely verify
what I'm saying, I'll wait to see if you want that information.

Gene

Hi Everyone,
Some years ago, I used to use word pad just to save a personal
note, but suddenly for some reason I couldn't find where it was
saved when I saved it, and now, I'm having the same problem with
notepad as well.  I can't find where the text file is being
saved.  If I try to save it again, I get a message saying this
file already exist are you sure you want to replace this file, so
apparently the text file is saved somewhere, but I just can't
find it.  I've looked in the view menu as well as in the file
menu, and the properties, but I couldn't find anything that might
be of any help.  I still can't find where the text files are
being saved, as I usually save them to my download folder.  I
know apparently I must be doing something that is making these
changes, but I don't know what that might be.

Any thoughts please?
Janet

Ann Parsons

Hi all,

Windows programs save all files in 'documents' unless you tell them otherwise. Depending on your OS it's either 'documents' or 'my documents'. This of course is in c:\user\your-name\documents or in 'This PC' under documents.

Why on earth would you look in the view menu. That's for how the document appears on the screen., It has nothing to do with where it's saved.

Ann P.

--
Ann K. Parsons
Portal Tutoring
** New EMAIL: akp@sero.email
web site: http://www.portaltutoring.info

"All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost."

Howard Traxler <howard@...>

Hi all,

In win 7, I have created a file in notepad; saved it wherever; and now can't find it. I have used the search box that comes up when I press the windows key. lots of similar files show up but now the one I want. On this machine, there are more than one "My Documents" folder and at least one that's just "Documents". The system will not let me into one of those "My Documents" folders: "Access Denied". What is this? It's my computer! I could back over it with my jeep! Who can stop me from accessing a folder? I think I hate this "Windows" more and more.

Howard

To: <main@TechTalk.groups.io>
Sent: Saturday, October 28, 2017 8:17 PM

Hi all,

Windows programs save all files in 'documents' unless you tell them otherwise. Depending on your OS it's either 'documents' or 'my documents'. This of course is in c:\user\your-name\documents or in 'This PC' under documents.

Why on earth would you look in the view menu. That's for how the document appears on the screen., It has nothing to do with where it's saved.

Ann P.

--
Ann K. Parsons
Portal Tutoring

Gene

Open notepad.  Open the save as dialog.

Shift tab twice and you will be in the folder where the file is.  if you want to move it somewhere so you know where it is, cut it as you would cut any file.  Then, in Windows Explorer or computer, or whatever my computer is called in Windows 7, open the drive and folder where you want the file and paste it.

Gene
Sent: Sunday, October 29, 2017 1:29 PM

Hi all,

In win 7, I have created a file in notepad; saved it wherever; and now can't
find it.  I have used the search box that comes up when I press the windows
key.  lots of similar files show up but now the one I want.  On this
machine, there are more than one "My Documents" folder and at least one
that's just "Documents".  The system will not let me into one of those "My
Documents" folders:  "Access Denied".  What is this?  It's my computer!  I
could back over it with my jeep!  Who can stop me from accessing a folder?
I think I hate this "Windows" more and more.

Howard
To: <main@TechTalk.groups.io>

> Hi all,
>
> Windows programs save all files in 'documents' unless you tell them
> otherwise.  Depending on your OS it's either 'documents' or 'my
> documents'.  This of course is in c:\user\your-name\documents or in 'This
> PC' under documents.
>
> Why on earth would you look in the view menu.  That's for how the document
> appears on the screen.,  It has nothing to do with where it's saved.
>
> Ann P.
>
> --
> Ann K. Parsons
> Portal Tutoring
> ** New EMAIL:  akp@...
> web site:  http://www.portaltutoring.info
> Skype: Putertutor
>
> "All that is gold does not glitter,
> Not all those who wander are lost."
>
>
>

Janet

Hi,

Thank you for this.  I was in the save as dialog, and I did press shift tab, but I never thought of pressing shift plus tab 2 times though.  I did find where the files were being saved they were in a subfolder in the download folder.  So now, I have notepad and wordpad both saving them where I want them to be saved. 

Janet

From: main@TechTalk.groups.io [mailto:main@TechTalk.groups.io] On Behalf Of Gene
Sent: Saturday, October 28, 2017 7:32 PM

Open the save as dialog and, depending on your version of Windows, shift tab once or twice.  In Windows 7 and, I presume higher, it's twice.  I don't know about Vista.  You will be in the list of files and folders, the same kind of list as in my computer.  You can down and up arrow in the list.  If you recognize where you are, you will know where files are being saved.  If you don't, let us know and I can check to see how else to know.  As I recall, you can tab around the save as dialog and you'll find a field where the path to the folder and the folder are shown.  But for more information and to definitely verify what I'm saying, I'll wait to see if you want that information.

Gene

Hi Everyone,
Some years ago, I used to use word pad just to save a personal note, but suddenly for some reason I couldn't find where it was saved when I saved it, and now, I'm having the same problem with notepad as well.  I can't find where the text file is being saved.  If I try to save it again, I get a message saying this file already exist are you sure you want to replace this file, so apparently the text file is saved somewhere, but I just can't find it.  I've looked in the view menu as well as in the file menu, and the properties, but I couldn't find anything that might be of any help.  I still can't find where the text files are being saved, as I usually save them to my download folder.  I know apparently I must be doing something that is making these changes, but I don't know what that might be.

Any thoughts please?
Janet

Ann Parsons

Hi Howard,

Do a test file. Write anything in it e.g. 'the quick brown fox jumped over the lazy dog.' or whatever. Save it as test1. Then, go to documents and look there. If it isn't there, then do a search for test1.rtf. Note, if using wordpad, the default file-type is .rtf, not .txt as it is in Notepad.

Ann P.

--
Ann K. Parsons
Portal Tutoring

Ann Parsons

Hi all,

Good thinking, Gene. Also, if he is using wordpad, its default file-type is .rtf, not .txt. Me, I don't save a lot of stuff in 'documents' simply because fiddling with it is irritating. I have a folder called 'office' which is off the root of the hard drive, so if I want to save a file and I don't want to try to remember where it is, I just type: c:\office\file-name in the save-as dialog and it puts it right where I want it. 'Office' for me, is the catch-all. If that seems overly simplistic maybe it is, but I'm an old DOS user and a some-time Linuxer. Sometimes these dialogs just give me fits, and I resort to typing a path instead.

Ann P.

Original message:

Open notepad. Open the save as dialog.
Shift tab twice and you will be in the folder where the file is. if you want to move it somewhere so you know where it is, cut it as you would cut any file. Then, in Windows Explorer or computer, or whatever my computer is called in Windows 7, open the drive and folder where you want the file and paste it.
Gene
From: Howard Traxler <mailto:howard@traxlerenterprises.com>
Sent: Sunday, October 29, 2017 1:29 PM
To: main@TechTalk.groups.io <mailto:main@TechTalk.groups.io>
Hi all,
In win 7, I have created a file in notepad; saved it wherever; and now can't
find it. I have used the search box that comes up when I press the windows
key. lots of similar files show up but now the one I want. On this
machine, there are more than one "My Documents" folder and at least one
that's just "Documents". The system will not let me into one of those "My
Documents" folders: "Access Denied". What is this? It's my computer! I
could back over it with my jeep! Who can stop me from accessing a folder?
I think I hate this "Windows" more and more.
Howard
From: "Ann Parsons" <akp@sero.email <mailto:akp@sero.email>>
To: <main@TechTalk.groups.io <mailto:main@TechTalk.groups.io>>

Hi all,
Windows programs save all files in 'documents' unless you tell them
otherwise. Depending on your OS it's either 'documents' or 'my
documents'. This of course is in c:\user\your-name\documents or in 'This
PC' under documents.
Why on earth would you look in the view menu. That's for how the document
appears on the screen., It has nothing to do with where it's saved.
Ann P.
--
Ann K. Parsons
Portal Tutoring
** New EMAIL: akp@sero.email <mailto:akp@sero.email>
web site: http://www.portaltutoring.info <http://www.portaltutoring.info>

--
Ann K. Parsons
Portal Tutoring

Gene

You don't have to do any of that.  Just open the program, open the save as dialog, shift tab twice, and look at the files in the list.  Once finished, close the dialog with escape.  The dialog doesn't rely on something being saved.  it shows everything just by opening it.

Gene

Sent: Monday, October 30, 2017 5:52 AM

Hi Howard,

Do a test file.  Write anything in it e.g. 'the quick brown fox jumped
over the lazy dog.' or whatever.  Save it as test1.  Then, go to
documents and look there.  If it isn't there, then do a search for
test1.rtf.  Note, if using wordpad, the default file-type is .rtf, not
.txt as it is in Notepad.

Ann P.

--
Ann K. Parsons
Portal Tutoring
** New EMAIL:  akp@...
web site:  http://www.portaltutoring.info