Chrome

Joe Orozco

Hello,

For anyone using Chrome:

1. What are the main keystroke differences between Chrome and Internet
Explorer? For example, are there any keystrokes required to download
content, such as the Alt + N on IE? Would you still use the same Alt +
L to jump to the search bar to enter a new URL?

2. What current options are there to solving CAPTCHA?

3. Is the browser truly more responsive than IE or Firefox?

4. What privacy settings did you adjust to minimize the amount of
information you're sharing not only with third party sites, but also
with Google?

5. What accessible extensions can you recommend to minimize ads and
generally streamline page navigation?

6. At the moment, I have synchronized my Favorites between Firefox and
IE. Is there a way to synchronize between IE and Chrome?

Thanks in advance!

Joe

David Moore <jesusloves1966@...>

Hi Joe!

Many of the commands are the same to use Chrome!

Here is a text tutorial that I wrote on using the Chrome browser that I will paste right in this message.

It answers all of your questions, and I take you through every tasks in Chrome and explain what I am doing and what your screen reader says. Chrome works great with all screan readers. Chrome is much more responsive than IE or Firefox. I can stream TV and Videos in Chrome, that I cannot stream in Firefox or IE. Chrome is much more secure than IE, especially!

Chrome has one vertical menu where everything is, and you get to it by just pressing Alt+F.

In this tutorial, I take you through every setting so you can customize Chrome to your liking. Also, Alt+D and CTRL+L will take you to the address bar. You can use the Address bar to do a general search as well.

Chrome has many extentions, and you can block most adds with Add Block Plus!

CTRL+J to get to downloads.

You do not use Alt+N in Chrome.

Here is my text tutorial right below this line that will take you through Chrome and show you everything.

Tutorial for Using the Google Chrome Browser

By David Moore

This tutorial will be done with the latest update of Chrome.

I will also use JAWS 18 and NVDA 2017.2for this tutorial, because they both work the same in Chrome.

Finally, I will use Windows 10 Creators Update latest public build.

I will assume that you have downloaded and installed Chrome.

There should be a shortcut on your desktop.

Section One:

Launching Chrome:

One way to Launch Chrome, is to press the Windows key or CTRL+Escape and type Chrome in the search edit field, and press enter when you hear JAWS say Chrome.

However, since you have already downloaded Chrome, You will have a shortcut icon on your desktop.

So next, find the shortcut for Chrome on your desktop, and press enter to open Chrome.

The short cut will actually say Google Chrome, so press G to find the Google Chrome icon on your desktop.

The first very important step, is to press Windows+up arrow to maximise the window. Chrome often opens with the window not maximise, and you will get undesirable results.

Section Two:

Bringing up a web site.

Press CTRL+L or Alt+D

and type the following:

www.freedomscientific.com

The Freedom Scientific web site comes up very quickly.

All navigation commands like: H for heading, E for edit field, C for combo box, and so on all work just the same in Chrome.

Section Three:

The Virticle Chrome menu:

I will press Alt+F.

The Chrome menu is open.

This is a very large virticle menu that you just keep pressing up and down arrow through.

I will press insert+up arrow to hear the first option in this menu.

New Tab, CTRL+T.

You can press that command right from the web site you are on.

New Window, CTRL+N

You can press these commands right from your web page, instead of coming here.

New incognito Window.

History sub menu.

I will press right arrow here to see what is in this sub menu!

History, CTRL+H

So, there is a key command for reading your history.

You can read a few sites you were on right here.

I will press left arrow to close this history sub menu.

Downloads, CTRL+J

There is the command for opening your downloads you have downloaded with Chrome.

Next, the important Bookmarks sub menu.

I will press right arrow, to open this.

I hear, bookmark this page, CTRL+D

That command will bookmark the page you are reading.

Next down arrow, says show bookmarks bar, CTRL+Shift+B

That command, will show your bookmarks on your Chrome browser for all to see. I do not want that.

Here is the important one.

manage bookmarks

The command is, CTRL+Shift+O

In here, you can organize your bookmarks into folders, see the bookmarks you have imported from different browsers, and very importantly, you can download, to your computer, an HTML file of all of your bookmarks in Chrome.

On your computer, you can press enter on this file, after it downloads, and a page will show up in Chrome with a list of all bookmarks you have saved in Chrome. This is an awesome way to download all of your bookmarks right to your computer, so you can back them up.

That is all for manage bookmarks.

Next, I hear import bookmarks and settings.

press enter on this, and you can import all bookmarks and settings from IE, and Firefox, right into Google Chrome, and they will be in their corresponding folders.

Now, I hear all of my saved bookmarks as I continue to arrow down.

Very important!

Sometimes, when I open that bookmarks sub menu, I do not land on the choices I mension here, but instead, I start hearing my saved bookmarks. If this happens, I press up arrow a few times, and it gets me to these choices.

Keep in mind, that many of these choices, like bookmark manager, have key commands, so you do not have to come to this bookmarks sub menu at all. You only need to come here most of the time, to arrow through your saved bookmarks, and enter on the desired one.

To save a web site as a bookmark,

Just press CTRL+D and press enter, and your bookmark is saved.

I will now press left arrow, to close the Bookmarks sub menu!

I will continue to down arrow through this virticle Chrome menu that we entered by just pressing alt.

The next few are very self explanatory.

The next one I will mension, is the more tools submenu.

I will press right arrow on this.

I hear Save Page as, and the command, CTRL+S.

Next, Save to desktop.

This allows you to save the favorite of the page right to your desktop. This is how you do this in Chrome, instead of doing this in the file menu in IE.

It is hidden under this more tools submenu.

Clear Browsing data, and there is the key command, CTRL+Shift+Delete key.

Extentions, In here, you can add extentions, delete extentions and so on.

These are the same as add ons, in IE.

I will press left arrow, to close the More Tools sub menu, and we are back to the virticle Chrome menu.

The last two that I will mention, are settings, and the help sub menu.

If you press the left arrow on the help sub menu, you can open the help system, just like in other programs, so that is all I will say about help.

Now, we will press enter on settings, and a web like page will open where the virtual cursor will turn on with JAWS, and NVDA will be in Brows mode.

Section Four:

Adjusting Settings and Advanced settings:

Now that this web page is open, I will just down arrow down the page and we will deal with each setting.

Important:

I have already signed into Chrome.

So now, arrow down until you hear sign into Chrome and press enter.

You just enter your email address and password, I think it has to be the same email address and password that you used to set up your Google account.

I am not sure about this.

You do not need to sign into Chrome, if you do, you can sync all of your activity between all devices that you have Chrome on. That is the only advantage of signing in.

I will continue with what I hear after you have signed in.

If you do not sign in, press H until you hear Appearance.

Each group of settings is a heading that you can get to by pressing H. This makes it very easy, because you just press H until you hear the group of settings you want to work with.

Now, because I have signed in, this is what I hear before getting to appearance.

The first thing you hear:

Settings.

That is the very top of the web page.

Down arrow, and you hear:

Main Menu Button.

That will just take you back to the virticle menu we were in.

If you down arrow again, you will just hear blank.

Down arrow, again, and you hear:

Settings again, but now, this is a heading. You can get here just by pressing H at the top of the page.

If you down arrow, you hear:

Search Settings.

This is where you can type in a setting that you want to change.

Down arrow again, and there is the edit field where you type in the setting you want to work with.

Down arrow again, and you hear another heading saying people.

Down arrow again, and I hear David Clickable.

This is because I have already signed into Chrome.

Down arrow again, and I hear my Gmail email address.

Again, this is because I have already signed into Chrome to sync my settings and all of that.

Down arrow again, and I hear:

Edit person.

This is where I could change my name.

Down arrow again, and I hear:

Sign Out.

This is because I have already signed in to Chrome.

Down arrow again, and I hear:

Sync.

Down arrow again, and I hear:

On, Sync everything.

This is a combo box, where you can choose what to sinc; I chose everything in this combo box.

Again, all of this is because I have signed into Chrome already.

Down arrow again, and you hear:

Sync button.

Down arrow again, and you hear:

Manage other people clickable.

Don't worry about the clickables. There is a clickable for many things, but then there is the button you enter on right after that.

Down arrow again, and you hear:

Manage other people button.

This is what you would press enter on to set up another user.

Down arrow again, and you hear:

Import bookmarks and settings Clickable:

Down arrow again, and you actually hear

Import bookmarks and settings button.

Here, you press enter and import all of your bookmarks and settings from other Browsers like IE.

This is another way of doing this, because remember,

We had a choice of manage bookmarks in the book marks sub menu in the virticle menu.

There is more than one place to do things in Chrome.

Now, we have a series of headings, that you can just press H for heading, to get to.

Now, we have gotten to the appearance heading. Down arrow and you hear:

themes, which I did nothing with.

Next, you can open the Chrome web store. You can get hundreds of extentions, and more.

Then, you hear Themes button.

Do nothing with this.

Next, you hear:

Show home clickable.

Just skip that.

There are many buttons that say clickable, and then there is a button that you actually press enter on to work with it.

Just work with the buttons, and skip over these vclickables.

Down arrow, and you have an edit box where you can put in your home page you want to get to by pressing Alt+Home.

Next, there is the home button toggle.

Press the spacebar to turn this on or off. If it is on, you can have the home button show at the top of the Chrome Window.

I have it checked.

Now, there are two radio buttons, and I chose the one to enter with a custom web address.

Search Heading:

We are at another heading, where you can set your search Engine.

There is a combo box below, and I set it to Chrome, because I like to have my searches from the address bar done with Crome instead of Bing.

Next heading:

Default Browser.

Here, you can choose weather you want Chrome to be your default browser or not.

Just leave this alone if you do not want Chrome to be your default browser.

Next Important heading:

On Start up.

Here is where you put in your URL that you want to show as soon as you start Chrome.

There are three radio buttons to pick from, but I chose to open with a specific page or pages, which is the third radio button.

Under this, you can type in the URL of the web site that you want to open when you start Chrome.

Under this, there is a link where you can add more pages you want to show when Chrome starts up.

Now, we are up to the search engin heading.

This is a heading.

There are headings on this settings page.

I chose to use Google search engin in the address bar. This is a combo box.

The next heading, is on start up.

Finally, here is where you set up your home page.

There are three radio buttons here.

I chose the third one, to open a selected page or selected pages.

Next, I was able to enter:

www.Google.Com.

That is my home page that will open each time I start Chrome.

Next important group of settings, the advanced settings.

Now, you have to press enter on the advanced settings button before more headings of settings will show.

The Advanced settings are collapsed, so you have to press enter to show more headings of settings.

Now that these advanced settings are open, we get to the next heading of settings.

There is much more we can customize under the advanced settings.

Privacy and security heading:

Down arrow from here, and you hear:

Use a web service to resolve navigation errors.

You have a clickable, and a toggle.

Press spacebar to toggle this on or off.

Again, ignore the clickables.

Now you have:

Use a prodiction service to enable you in searches.

I left this unchecked.

Next, you have a setting to speed up the loading of web pages:

I checked this with spacebar.

The next three settings I just left alone.

I checked the one that says:

Use a web service to help with spelling.

I leave manage certificates alone.

Next, you have content settings, but this is not a new heading.

We are still working with the same heading.

The only thing of interest here, is the clear history button.

This was available in the virtical menu, so don't worry about this.

Now, we get to the next heading of settings.

Passwords and forms:

Under this heading, just make sure that you check to be able to have Chrome save passwords.

Languages Heading:

I did nothing with this.

Downloads heading:

This is where you choose where you want your downloads to be saved on your computer.

Printing heading:

I did nothing with this.

Accessibility heading:

I did nothing with this.

Now, we have the System heading:

Down arrow, and you hear:

Continue running background apps, when Google Chrome is Closed.

I have this unchecked.

Next,

Use hard ware excelloration when Available.

I have this checked.

Next, you hear:

Open proxy settings button.

I left this alone.

Last Heading LOL!

Reset.

Here, you can reset all settings back to their origional.

We are done with Settings.

Now, just press CTRL+F4 to get back to the Freedom Scientific Web site.

This settings web page, opens in another tab.

That is it for settings.

Notice, we made a lot of changes under the advanced settings. You cannot see these, unless you press enter to expand these.

Now, press the Alt key again. Up arrow once to get to the end of the menu where we were with the settings.

You see exit, up arrow and you see the help sub menu, right under the settings choice.

I press right arrow on this help sub menu, and you can enter on the help center to get a lot of help using Chrome.

To open a web site, just press CTRL+L or Alt+D and type the URL.

Chrome for me, is so much quicker with web sites that involve streamming TV and Watching movies, and so on.

For me, Chrome opens large news sites very quickly compared to IE.

Lastly, All JAWS and NVDA navigation key commands work in Chrome. For example, you can press F7 to open a list of links with JAWS, and the elements list with NVDA. All of that is the exact same.

This is the end of the tutorial.

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

1. What are the main keystroke differences between Chrome and Internet

Explorer? For example, are there any keystrokes required to download

content, such as the Alt + N on IE? Would you still use the same Alt +

L to jump to the search bar to enter a new URL?

2. What current options are there to solving CAPTCHA?

3. Is the browser truly more responsive than IE or Firefox?

4. What privacy settings did you adjust to minimize the amount of

information you're sharing not only with third party sites, but also

with Google?

5. What accessible extensions can you recommend to minimize ads and

generally streamline page navigation?

6. At the moment, I have synchronized my Favorites between Firefox and

IE. Is there a way to synchronize between IE and Chrome?

Thanks in advance!

Joe

Gary Ray

David:

Is this the same tutorial that you have sent out over the past couple of months?

Thanx!

Gary Ray

[...]

Yes it is!

I just want to make sure that everyone has it!

Take care, Gary, and have a great one!

David Moore

[...]

It is very good, but I now have several versions of it.  I did not want to compare them line by line.

Again, it is a very good tutorial!

Thanx!

gary

[...]

Vicky Vaughan <vrvaughan63@...>

Hi David, This is Vicky.  Would you be so kind as to also send your Chrome tutorial to me at:

vrvaughan@...

Thank you very much!

Sincerely, Vicky

[...]

Hi Vicky!

I sent the Chrome tutorial to your email!

Let me know if you have any questions!

David Moore

[...]

Bharat

David,

sorry for asking for the Tutorial. but can I grab it from somewhere?
or would you be kind enough to send it to me too?

Thank you,

bharat.

On 11/1/17, David Moore <jesusloves1966@gmail.com> wrote:
Hi Vicky!
I sent the Chrome tutorial to your email!
Let me know if you have any questions!
David Moore
Sent from Mail for Windows 10

Hi David, This is Vicky.  Would you be so kind as to also send your Chrome
tutorial to me at:
vrvaughan@mailzone.com
Thank you very much!

Sincerely, Vicky

1. What are the main keystroke differences between Chrome and Internet
Explorer? For example, are there any keystrokes required to download
content, such as the Alt + N on IE? Would you still use the same Alt +
L to jump to the search bar to enter a new URL?

2. What current options are there to solving CAPTCHA?

3. Is the browser truly more responsive than IE or Firefox?

4. What privacy settings did you adjust to minimize the amount of
information you're sharing not only with third party sites, but also
with Google?

5. What accessible extensions can you recommend to minimize ads and
generally streamline page navigation?

6. At the moment, I have synchronized my Favorites between Firefox and
IE. Is there a way to synchronize between IE and Chrome?

Thanks in advance!

Joe

Marie <magpie.mn@...>

David,
I just tried to use your tutorial with Chrome and I am not getting the same results as stated in the tutorial. I am running the latest Jaws 18, Windows 10 Creator (not the fall version) and I believe, the latest chrome. So why the differences? On the Setting page, I first land in a search field, When I select the Home button, I get no place to enter the page I wish to use and so on.
Marie

1. What are the main keystroke differences between Chrome and Internet

Explorer? For example, are there any keystrokes required to download

content, such as the Alt + N on IE? Would you still use the same Alt +

L to jump to the search bar to enter a new URL?

2. What current options are there to solving CAPTCHA?

3. Is the browser truly more responsive than IE or Firefox?

4. What privacy settings did you adjust to minimize the amount of

information you're sharing not only with third party sites, but also

with Google?

5. What accessible extensions can you recommend to minimize ads and

generally streamline page navigation?

6. At the moment, I have synchronized my Favorites between Firefox and

IE. Is there a way to synchronize between IE and Chrome?

Thanks in advance!

Joe

I haven't looked at the tutorial but you are placed in a search field when you enter settings.  I haven't looked at the Chrome interface for quite sometime but the settings interface is a web page-like interface.  You may have to manually go in and out of forms mode to do some things in the web page-like interfaces of Chrome.  You can look around at settings but the search is very valuable if you know what you want to search for.  For example, if you want to change JAVA script settings and you type something like Java or script if you start tabbing, you will soon get to a button named Content Settings.  Activate the button with the space bar and another web -page-like interface will open.  You will find a lot of settings there.  Settings dealing with JAVA script are there but you are in a general category and you will find a lot of settings.  Even if you aren't sure what something is called, if you search for something like JAVA as a quick way to get to content settings if you think what you are looking for is there, you will staill save a lot of time in getting to content settings.

I should add that that is how the interface was when I played with it.  Things may have changed somewhat about what and where you see the kinds of things I'm talking about such as content settings, but the principle is the same.  If you try what I suggested and look around, you can see if things have changed to any extent.

Gene----- Original Message -----