Copy & SaveDialogue Problem

Mike B. <mb69mach1@...>

Hi All,

I'm running Windows 7 Pro 64 bit, Jaws 16, IE11, & Office Standard 2010.  A couple of weeks ago we were gone, & when we got back home I had to copy files I had saved from my computer from our other house to my computer at this house.  I mainly use the copy & save using Windows Explorer, copying from My Dropbox folders to various other folders on an external drive.  Well, the copy & save dialogue had somehow changed at this house, & I don't have a clue as to how it happened!  Below are the dialogues labeled as, What it was:, & Now:

What it was:
Confirm Folder Replace
This destination already contains a folder named 'Address Books'.
If any files have the same names, you will be asked if you want to
replace those files.
Do you still want to move or copy the folder?
Yes NoMore...

Confirm Folder Replace
This destination already contains a folder named 'Address Books, Complete'.
If any files have the same names, you will be asked if you want to replace
those files.
Do you still want to move or copy the folder?
Yes Yes to All No CancelMore...

Now:
Confirm Folder Replace
This destination already contains a folder named 'Address Books'.
If any files have the same names, you will be asked if you want to replace
those files.
Do you still want to merge this folder
Address Books
Date created: 11/14/2017 10:37 AM
with this one?
Address Books
Date created: 5/3/2016 9:11 PM
Yes No

Confirm Folder Replace
This destination already contains a folder named 'Address Books, Complete'.
If any files have the same names, you will be asked if you want to replace
those files.
Do you still want to merge this folder
Address Books, Complete
Date created: 11/14/2017 10:37 AM
with this one?
Address Books, Complete
Date created: 5/3/2016 9:11 PM
Yes Skip Cancel
Do this for all current items (4 found)

Well, the first part of the dialogues are the same, but it's just the last several lines that have changed.  Has anyone else experienced this?  If so, how did you resolve it / change it back, if you did?  Does anyone have a clue as to how to change the copy & save dialogue?  I haven't been able to find a fix, & have been searching like crazy!  This may require a call to Microsoft Accessibility!  All advice or help will be greatly appreciated.  Thanks much.

Take care.  Mike.  Dodgers, try again next year!
Sent from my iBarstool.

Eleni Vamvakari <elvam2167@...>

I have always seen it the second way in Windows 7, which is why I
prefer XP! It's very annoying. The only alternative I have tound is
to use an external program for such things, but sometimes it worked
and sometimes not. In any case, just tell it that you want to do this
for all files and it should work. I'm sorry you're going through
this.

On 14/11/2017, Mike B. <mb69mach1@...> wrote:
[...]

Date created: 11/14/2017 10:37 AM
with this one?
Address Books
Date created: 5/3/2016 9:11 PM
Yes No

Confirm Folder Replace
This destination already contains a folder named 'Address Books, Complete'.
If any files have the same names, you will be asked if you want to replace
those files.
Do you still want to merge this folder
Address Books, Complete
Date created: 11/14/2017 10:37 AM
with this one?
Address Books, Complete
Date created: 5/3/2016 9:11 PM
Yes Skip Cancel
Do this for all current items (4 found)

Well, the first part of the dialogues are the same, but it's just the last
several lines that have changed. Has anyone else experienced this? If so,

how did you resolve it / change it back, if you did? Does anyone have a
clue as to how to change the copy & save dialogue? I haven't been able to
find a fix, & have been searching like crazy! This may require a call to
Microsoft Accessibility! All advice or help will be greatly appreciated.
Thanks much.

Take care. Mike. Dodgers, try again next year!
Sent from my iBarstool.
Facebook: elvam2167@...

anyaudio.net: elvam2167

Skype: elvam2167

Mike B. <mb69mach1@...>

Hi Eleni,

I don't have a problem working with the current dialogue, but I did find it easier to use the prior copy / save dialogue.  What I question the most is the fact that the dialogue changed without an update installation, or anyone else being on the computer to screw something up to instigate the change!  LOL  Things like this are the things that make you scratch your butt, & say, Hmmmmmmmmmmm!  LOL  LOL
Thank you very much for your input / reply.

Sent: Tuesday, November 14, 2017 8:42 PM
Subject: Re: [TechTalk] Copy & SaveDialogue Problem

--
Facebook: elvam2167@...

anyaudio.net: elvam2167

Skype: elvam2167

Ann Parsons

Hi all,

Mike, you get that dialog whenever you want to copy files from DropBox to folders which have older versions of the same files. Just check the 'copy & replace' and then the box that says do the same for the next however many files. This is SOP.

Ann P.

[...]
Date created: 11/14/2017 10:37 AM
with this one?
Address Books
Date created: 5/3/2016 9:11 PM
Yes No
Confirm Folder Replace
This destination already contains a folder named 'Address Books, Complete'.
If any files have the same names, you will be asked if you want to replace
those files.
Do you still want to merge this folder
Address Books, Complete
Date created: 11/14/2017 10:37 AM
with this one?
Address Books, Complete
Date created: 5/3/2016 9:11 PM
Yes Skip Cancel
Do this for all current items (4 found)
Well, the first part of the dialogues are the same, but it's just the last several lines that have changed. Has anyone else experienced this? If so, how did you resolve it / change it back, if you did? Does anyone have a clue as to how to change the copy & save dialogue? I haven't been able to find a fix, & have been searching like crazy! This may require a call to Microsoft Accessibility! All advice or help will be greatly appreciated. Thanks much.
Take care. Mike. Dodgers, try again next year!
Sent from my iBarstool.
Arguing with a woman is like reading a software license agreement. In the end you have to ignore everything, & click I agree.
--
Ann K. Parsons
Portal Tutoring

"All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost."

Gene

Change it back to what?  That's is the way the dialog has always appeared on my machines.  What do you want the copy feature to do that has changed since the dialog has changed?  Rather than fool around with it, it might be better to use a backup program or a different copy utility with more options.

Gene

[...]

Date created: 11/14/2017 10:37 AM
with this one?
Address Books
Date created: 5/3/2016 9:11 PM
Yes No

Confirm Folder Replace
This destination already contains a folder named 'Address Books, Complete'.
If any files have the same names, you will be asked if you want to replace
those files.
Do you still want to merge this folder
Address Books, Complete
Date created: 11/14/2017 10:37 AM
with this one?
Address Books, Complete
Date created: 5/3/2016 9:11 PM
Yes Skip Cancel
Do this for all current items (4 found)

Well, the first part of the dialogues are the same, but it's just the last several lines that have changed.  Has anyone else experienced this?  If so, how did you resolve it / change it back, if you did?  Does anyone have a clue as to how to change the copy & save dialogue?  I haven't been able to find a fix, & have been searching like crazy!  This may require a call to Microsoft Accessibility!  All advice or help will be greatly appreciated.  Thanks much.

Take care.  Mike.  Dodgers, try again next year!
Sent from my iBarstool.

Mike B. <mb69mach1@...>

Hi Ann,

I know how it works, but preferred the old dialogue options.  These are the old & new choices:
Options Old:
Yes Yes to All No CancelMore...
Option New:
Yes Skip Cancel
Do this for all current items (4 found)
I don't care how SOP it is, I was only asking if anyone knew if this can be reverted!

Sent: Wednesday, November 15, 2017 3:55 AM

web site:  http://www.portaltutoring.info
Skype: Putertutor

"All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost."

Mike B. <mb69mach1@...>

Hi Gene,

You didn't read the dialogues thoroughly.  There are 2 different options at the end of the 2 dialogues, & I prefer the old options.  All I'm asking is if anyone knows how to get the old options back, not to be told how I should have my computer or how it should be run.

[...]

Date created: 11/14/2017 10:37 AM
with this one?
Address Books
Date created: 5/3/2016 9:11 PM
Yes No

Confirm Folder Replace
This destination already contains a folder named 'Address Books, Complete'.
If any files have the same names, you will be asked if you want to replace
those files.
Do you still want to merge this folder
Address Books, Complete
Date created: 11/14/2017 10:37 AM
with this one?
Address Books, Complete
Date created: 5/3/2016 9:11 PM
Yes Skip Cancel
Do this for all current items (4 found)

Well, the first part of the dialogues are the same, but it's just the last several lines that have changed.  Has anyone else experienced this?  If so, how did you resolve it / change it back, if you did?  Does anyone have a clue as to how to change the copy & save dialogue?  I haven't been able to find a fix, & have been searching like crazy!  This may require a call to Microsoft Accessibility!  All advice or help will be greatly appreciated.  Thanks much.

Take care.  Mike.  Dodgers, try again next year!
Sent from my iBarstool.

I did look at the options you reproduced.  I said that my Windows 7 has the new options you are discussing.  I don't know why you had the other options previously.  My guess is that the new options appeared as the result of a Windows update.  Tuesday was probably the Tuesday monthly Microsoft update release day.

I would imagine that you generally want to either skip the file or copy and replace the existing copy.  To skip the file, instead of tabbing around the dialog, use the command alt s.  Copy and replace or just copy doesn't have an alt letter command announced to use as a short cut when you tab to that option.  I don't know if there is one.  If you want to use the do this for all occurrences checkbox, use the command alt d.

[...]

Date created: 11/14/2017 10:37 AM
with this one?
Address Books
Date created: 5/3/2016 9:11 PM
Yes No

Confirm Folder Replace
This destination already contains a folder named 'Address Books, Complete'.
If any files have the same names, you will be asked if you want to replace
those files.
Do you still want to merge this folder
Address Books, Complete
Date created: 11/14/2017 10:37 AM
with this one?
Address Books, Complete
Date created: 5/3/2016 9:11 PM
Yes Skip Cancel
Do this for all current items (4 found)

Well, the first part of the dialogues are the same, but it's just the last several lines that have changed.  Has anyone else experienced this?  If so, how did you resolve it / change it back, if you did?  Does anyone have a clue as to how to change the copy & save dialogue?  I haven't been able to find a fix, & have been searching like crazy!  This may require a call to Microsoft Accessibility!  All advice or help will be greatly appreciated.  Thanks much.

Take care.  Mike.  Dodgers, try again next year!
Sent from my iBarstool.

Flor Lynch

SOP? What's that mean?

[...]

Date created: 11/14/2017 10:37 AM
with this one?
Address Books
Date created: 5/3/2016 9:11 PM
Yes No
Confirm Folder Replace
This destination already contains a folder named 'Address Books, Complete'.
If any files have the same names, you will be asked if you want to replace
those files.
Do you still want to merge this folder
Address Books, Complete
Date created: 11/14/2017 10:37 AM
with this one?
Address Books, Complete
Date created: 5/3/2016 9:11 PM
[...]

Hi Flor,

Standard Operating Procedure
> [...]

> with this one?
> Address Books, Complete
> Date created: 5/3/2016 9:11 PM
> Yes Skip Cancel
> Do this for all current items (4 found)
> Well, the first part of the dialogues are the same, but it's just the last
> several lines that have changed. Has anyone else experienced this? If so,
> how did you resolve it / change it back, if you did? Does anyone have a
> clue as to how to change the copy & save dialogue? I haven't been able to
> find a fix, & have been searching like crazy! This may require a call to
> Microsoft Accessibility! All advice or help will be greatly appreciated.
> Thanks much.
> Take care. Mike. Dodgers, try again next year!
> Sent from my iBarstool.
> Arguing with a woman is like reading a software license agreement. In the
> end you have to ignore everything, & click I agree.

Pamela Dominguez

Standard operating procedure. Pam.

[...]

Date created: 11/14/2017 10:37 AM
with this one?
Address Books
Date created: 5/3/2016 9:11 PM
Yes No
Confirm Folder Replace
This destination already contains a folder named 'Address Books, Complete'.
If any files have the same names, you will be asked if you want to replace
those files.
Do you still want to merge this folder
Address Books, Complete
Date created: 11/14/2017 10:37 AM
with this one?
Address Books, Complete
Date created: 5/3/2016 9:11 PM
[...]

---
http://www.avg.com

Flor Lynch

Hi Mike,

Well, I did think it was rather soppy! LOL.

I was about to suggest that your system had updated itself, but others did so anyway.

> [...]

> with this one?
> Address Books, Complete
> Date created: 5/3/2016 9:11 PM
> Yes Skip Cancel
> Do this for all current items (4 found)
> Well, the first part of the dialogues are the same, but it's just the last
> several lines that have changed. Has anyone else experienced this? If so,
> how did you resolve it / change it back, if you did? Does anyone have a
> clue as to how to change the copy & save dialogue? I haven't been able to
> find a fix, & have been searching like crazy! This may require a call to
> Microsoft Accessibility! All advice or help will be greatly appreciated.
> Thanks much.
> Take care. Mike. Dodgers, try again next year!
> Sent from my iBarstool.
> Arguing with a woman is like reading a software license agreement. In the
> end you have to ignore everything, & click I agree.

As a non-capitalized word, sop also has other, less complimentary, meanings.

[...]

Date created: 11/14/2017 10:37 AM
with this one?
Address Books
Date created: 5/3/2016 9:11 PM
Yes No
Confirm Folder Replace
This destination already contains a folder named 'Address Books, Complete'.
If any files have the same names, you will be asked if you want to replace
those files.
Do you still want to merge this folder
Address Books, Complete
Date created: 11/14/2017 10:37 AM
with this one?
Address Books, Complete
Date created: 5/3/2016 9:11 PM
[...]

That's the problem, my computer can't update itself!!  I have it set so it can't, supposedly!  Our 3 computers have the older save dialogue, so it couldn't have been an update even if it had updated on its own.  I don't have a problem with the updated dialogue, I just wanted to know if I could get the other dialogue back!  But, I guess that just isn't SOP!  LOL  LOL
> [...]

> with this one?
> Address Books, Complete
> Date created: 5/3/2016 9:11 PM
> Yes Skip Cancel
> Do this for all current items (4 found)
> Well, the first part of the dialogues are the same, but it's just the last
> several lines that have changed. Has anyone else experienced this? If so,
> how did you resolve it / change it back, if you did? Does anyone have a
> clue as to how to change the copy & save dialogue? I haven't been able to
> find a fix, & have been searching like crazy! This may require a call to
> Microsoft Accessibility! All advice or help will be greatly appreciated.
> Thanks much.
> Take care. Mike. Dodgers, try again next year!
> Sent from my iBarstool.
> Arguing with a woman is like reading a software license agreement. In the
> end you have to ignore everything, & click I agree.

It didn't do it buy itself and it did it on a Tuesday which is probably the day when the Microsoft update was released.  I wouldn't assume that updates never occur when the user doesn't allow them in the update settings.  Indeed, I read many years ago that Microsoft had caused some updates to be accepted by computers even though the user had turned updates off.  I haven't heard about this for years and I don't know if it has happened for quite some time, but as I say, it can't be assumed.  If you check your updates, what is the newest one?  I think it's the first one in the list.

It could be something else but I would say that a Microsoft update, until we learn more, is the most likely possibility.

> [...]

> with this one?
> Address Books, Complete
> Date created: 5/3/2016 9:11 PM
> Yes Skip Cancel
> Do this for all current items (4 found)
> Well, the first part of the dialogues are the same, but it's just the last
> several lines that have changed. Has anyone else experienced this? If so,
> how did you resolve it / change it back, if you did? Does anyone have a
> clue as to how to change the copy & save dialogue? I haven't been able to
> find a fix, & have been searching like crazy! This may require a call to
> Microsoft Accessibility! All advice or help will be greatly appreciated.
> Thanks much.
> Take care. Mike. Dodgers, try again next year!
> Sent from my iBarstool.
> Arguing with a woman is like reading a software license agreement. In the
> end you have to ignore everything, & click I agree.

Try a system restore. If it really is an update, that should fix it
and tell you. Unfortunately, it will update again, but at least
you'll know. I still wish I knew how you got the older dialogue!
*smile*

On 15/11/2017, Gene <gsasner@...> wrote:
[...]

Date created: 11/14/2017 10:37 AM
with this one?
Address Books
Date created: 5/3/2016 9:11 PM
Yes No
Confirm Folder Replace
This destination already contains a folder named 'Address Books,
Complete'.
If any files have the same names, you will be asked if you want to
replace
those files.
Do you still want to merge this folder
Address Books, Complete
Date created: 11/14/2017 10:37 AM
with this one?
Address Books, Complete
Date created: 5/3/2016 9:11 PM
[...]

No, it did not update on the  Tuesday we left to go to our other house, because the updates had already been installed the prior week before we left, & the copy dialogue was working on the day we left.  But, the hell with how or why it happened because it happened!  How or why wasn't any part of my question, but y'all just have to take what I asked in a direction that it did not need to go, & tell me how to use a copy & save dialogue I already knew how to use!  All I asked was this:
The first part of the dialogues are the same, but it's just the last
 several lines that have changed. Has anyone else experienced this? If so,
 how did you resolve it / change it back, if you did?  Does anyone have a
 clue as to how to change the copy & save dialogue?

All I was asking is what's above, not how to use my current dialogue, not why updates were or weren't installed, but no, it's like I said y'all just had to go where this thread didn't need to go!  I'm sorry, but now things are being added about my computer updating, which I already know can happen!  Damn, I know I'm no computer genius, but what's so damn hard about just answering the questions asked, if a person knows the answers?!  In a nutshell, we have 4 computers at this house, they all run the same operating systems, they all get the same updates, I know because I do all the updating, but this computer is the only computer the dialogue changed without knowingly being updated, if that's what happened!  Back to square 1!  LOL  LOL

> [...]

> with this one?
> Address Books, Complete
> Date created: 5/3/2016 9:11 PM
> Yes Skip Cancel
> Do this for all current items (4 found)
> Well, the first part of the dialogues are the same, but it's just the last
> several lines that have changed. Has anyone else experienced this? If so,
> how did you resolve it / change it back, if you did? Does anyone have a
> clue as to how to change the copy & save dialogue? I haven't been able to
> find a fix, & have been searching like crazy! This may require a call to
> Microsoft Accessibility! All advice or help will be greatly appreciated.
> Thanks much.
> Take care. Mike. Dodgers, try again next year!
> Sent from my iBarstool.
> Arguing with a woman is like reading a software license agreement. In the
> end you have to ignore everything, & click I agree.

I've been the system restore route, & it didn't work.  I didn't mention everything because I just wanted to ask a question, not write a long book!  We have 4 computers in this house, & 2 at the other house.  This is the only computer that has this different copy / save dialogue.  I know how to use it, all's I asked is how to get the other dialogue back, not how to rebuild the keyboard to make it do something different, not how to use the new dialogue, not how the new dialogue got there, only if anyone knew how to get the older dialogue back!  LOL  LOL  Thank you for making a logical suggestion to my question!

Sent: Wednesday, November 15, 2017 8:29 PM

Try a system restore.  If it really is an update, that should fix it
and tell you.  Unfortunately, it will update again, but at least
you'll know. I still wish I knew how you got the older dialogue!
*smile*

On 15/11/2017, Gene <gsasner@...> wrote:
> It didn't do it buy itself and it did it on a Tuesday which is probably the
> day when the Microsoft update was released.  I wouldn't assume that updates
> never occur when the user doesn't allow them in the update settings.
> Indeed, I read many years ago that Microsoft had caused some updates to be
> accepted by computers even though the user had turned updates off.  I
> haven't heard about this for years and I don't know if it has happened for
> quite some time, but as I say, it can't be assumed.  If you check your
> updates, what is the newest one?  I think it's the first one in the list.
>
> It could be something else but I would say that a Microsoft update, until we
> learn more, is the most likely possibility.
>
> Gene

At the risk of rekindling your wrath, I'll ask this question.  Was this computer upgraded from any other operating system?  I'm not sure if you can upgrade from Vista to Windows 7.  The dialog isn't correct for Windows 7 so the question is, where did it come from?

> [...]

> with this one?
> Address Books, Complete
> Date created: 5/3/2016 9:11 PM
> Yes Skip Cancel
> Do this for all current items (4 found)
> Well, the first part of the dialogues are the same, but it's just the last
> several lines that have changed. Has anyone else experienced this? If so,
> how did you resolve it / change it back, if you did? Does anyone have a
> clue as to how to change the copy & save dialogue? I haven't been able to
> find a fix, & have been searching like crazy! This may require a call to
> Microsoft Accessibility! All advice or help will be greatly appreciated.
> Thanks much.
> Take care. Mike. Dodgers, try again next year!
> Sent from my iBarstool.
> Arguing with a woman is like reading a software license agreement. In the
> end you have to ignore everything, & click I agree.

Please stop starting new threads when the topic hasn't changed.  If you want to say you spoke too soon, say it in the message body.  Starting new threads causes people to see new conversations when reading mail by conversation where there shouldn't be one.  It also causes the archives to not have all discussion of a certain topic in the same thread.  The subject line is to present the subject of a message, not to present material that should be in the message body.  The subject was, and is, what it was originally.  Telling us that you spoke too soon is information about the topic that should be in the message body.