BrailleNote Floppy Drive and Windows

Eleni Vamvakari <elvam2167@...>

I have several DOS disks that I would like to examine. Unfortunately,
my current desktop doesn't have a floppy drive. I recently found the
pcmcia floppy drive that came with my BrailleNote. Can I use it with
my laptop and Windows XP or is it specific to the BrailleNote? I
forgot how to tell the id of a device so that I can manually search
for the driver. Is it under Device Manager? If this doesn't work,
I'll either use my old desktop or see if I can get one of my KeyNote
Gold laptops to work.

Thanks,
Eleni

--
Facebook: elvam2167@...

anyaudio.net: elvam2167

Skype: elvam2167

Blaster

If the drive is removable, that is to say it can be unplugged, then
yeah, you should be able to use it in another computer. I got a USB
3.5" Floppy drive off of eBay for $10, so that's always an option if
that drive doesn't work out.

HTH,
Blaster

On 11/15/17, Eleni Vamvakari <elvam2167@...> wrote:
I have several DOS disks that I would like to examine. Unfortunately,
my current desktop doesn't have a floppy drive. I recently found the
pcmcia floppy drive that came with my BrailleNote. Can I use it with
my laptop and Windows XP or is it specific to the BrailleNote? I
forgot how to tell the id of a device so that I can manually search
for the driver. Is it under Device Manager? If this doesn't work,
I'll either use my old desktop or see if I can get one of my KeyNote
Gold laptops to work.

Thanks,
Eleni

--
Facebook: elvam2167@...

anyaudio.net: elvam2167

Skype: elvam2167

Eleni Vamvakari <elvam2167@...>

Thank you. I'll need to find the id, then, so that I can locate the
appropriate driver for XP. I'm just using it to test the disks right
now, particularly my VocalEyes one, because I'm not sure if it still
works. In my DOS machine, I'll probably just use cds, give access to
a specific part of my Windows machine or flash drive where I store the
programs, or use a serial or parallel disk drive to avoid the hassle
of finding a usb driver.

On 15/11/2017, Blaster <blaster.nil8@...> wrote:
[...]

You may not need to find drivers, there may be legacy drivers in the
OS to accommodate the floppy drive.

Hey, If your looking to learn programming languages, check out this
website, it may be of interest to you:

https://www.freecodecamp.org/

Keep us up to date on your progress, it sounds interesting,
[...]

DOS doesn't have built-in usb support. At least, MSDOS doesn't.
Enhanced DRDOS or FREEDOS-32 might. I know that usb can be used for
storage, though I haven't heard of it being used for anything else. I
will need to check.

[...]

Ann Parsons

Hi all,

Eleni, if the connector works, and the computer recognizes it, you can use it. If it doesn't work, try Amazon and look for external floppy drive.

Ann P.

--
Ann K. Parsons
Portal Tutoring

"All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost."

Eleni Vamvakari <elvam2167@...>

I didn't realise that. I thought that, if a device isn't plug and
play, there must be specific drivers for the operating system in order
for it to work correctly.