HP laptop, (NOT WORKING)

Curtis Delzer

Well, I was running JFW on an HP small laptop and did something which made it freeze, or go silent. I was deleting the contents of a folder on a stick, and after it was done. I was going to re-start after running safely remove, when it froze. So, I thought

I would, which I'd done many times before just power it down and re-start.
Now the PC just lights up, but there is nothing occurring on the screen. I've seen other windows 7 PCS forget the USB device is not a bootable device, so I re-plugged in the USB stick, tried again, and nothing. Then, I also thought I might have muted the sound card with f11, or somehow turned it way down with f9 / f10, but, nothing happened.
It does heat up, but nothing is visible on the screen, no "beginning" windows or anything at all.
Any ideas at all? f8, maybe? but isn't there at least some kind of message which happens before f8 would work?
THANKS! Or, should I just attempt to install windows 10 using a USB or DVD? Hmm! questions questions!

Curtis Delzer
H.S.
K6VFO
San Bernardino, CA

SWAP NET TIMES:
Wednesday evenings, 7 PM local time, on the Keller peak repeater,
146.385+ PL 146.2
Thursday evenings, 7:30 PM, on the AI6BX repeater,
447Mhz- PL 123Hz

Matt

You tried NVDA or Narrator and see if they come up talking?

Matt.from.florida@gmail.com

[...]

nothing "begins" on screen, or talks. tried window-eyes which is suppose to unmute the sound card, etc. I'll try NVDA  on a stick and a bootable win-7 stick and see.

At 03:10 PM 2/18/2016, you wrote:
[...]

Gene

I am not a tech but this mmessage may broaden the discussion and may save you time and effort.  Are you saying you or someone has enough vision to determine that no message appears on screen?  I suspect something happened that seemed like a freeze but it may really have been a hardware problem.  I've had one or two computers that seemed to freeze but on trying to reboot had a hardware problem.  I would think that a computer trying to boot with the combination of the screen lighting up and no error message and no diagnostic sounds from the BIOS or whatever is used these days, would be very rare unless a hardware problem occurred.  In short, not all apparent freezes are freezes.  Something can appear to freeze from a hardware problem and although rare, the possibility exists.  If you want to fooll around trying to get the computer to boot in some way, fine but I really doubt it will.

Sent: Thursday, February 18, 2016 5:05 PM

[...]

Gary Greico

If it doesn't click before it goes on it could be the mother board. Originally I thought it was the power supply, but it was not. Good luck.

On 2/18/2016 6:05 PM, Curtis Delzer wrote:
[...]

i have seen hp graphic cards fail many times when working with jaws
mostly the amd once

On 2/19/16, Gary Greico <pianotuner3@optimum.net> wrote:
[...]

austinpinto.xaviers@gmail.com
follow me on twitter.
austinmpinto
contact me on skype.
austin.pinto3

Curtis Delzer

I believe this is an AMD one. yike!
there goes buckeroos, damn it. :)

On 2/19/16, Gary Greico <pianotuner3@...> wrote:
> If it doesn't click before it goes on it could be the  mother board.
> Originally I thought it was the power supply, but it was not.  Good luck.
>

> On 2/18/2016 6:05 PM, Curtis Delzer wrote:
>> Well, I was running JFW on an HP small laptop and did something which
>> made it freeze, or go silent. I was deleting the contents of a folder
>> on a stick, and after it was done. I was going to re-start after
>> running safely remove, when it froze. So, I thought
>>
>> I would, which I'd done many times before just power it down and
>> re-start.
>> Now the PC just lights up, but there is nothing occurring on the
>> screen. I've seen other windows 7 PCS forget the USB device is not a
>> bootable device, so I re-plugged in the USB stick, tried again, and
>> nothing. Then, I also thought I might have muted the sound card with
>> f11, or somehow turned it way down with f9 / f10, but, nothing happened.
>> It does heat up, but nothing is visible on the screen, no "beginning"
>> windows or anything at all.
>> Any ideas at all? f8, maybe? but isn't there at least some kind of
>> message which happens before f8 would work?
>> THANKS! Or, should I just attempt to install windows 10 using a USB or
>> DVD? Hmm! questions questions!
>>

>> Curtis Delzer
>> H.S.
>> K6VFO
>> San Bernardino, CA
>>
>> SWAP NET TIMES:
>> Wednesday evenings, 7 PM local time, on the Keller peak repeater,
>> 146.385+ PL 146.2
>> Thursday evenings, 7:30 PM, on the AI6BX repeater,
>> 447Mhz- PL 123Hz

austinpinto.xaviers@...
follow me on twitter.
austinmpinto
contact me on skype.
austin.pinto3

Pamela Dominguez

How would they talk if the screen doesn't even show anything? Pam.

[...]

Just like you turn off your screen or just unplug your monitor all together
. You don't have to have a monitor for your screen reader to work!

Matt.from.florida@gmail.com

[...]

Kimsan <kimsansong@...>

He said, if they come up talking.

[...]

Yes and you don't need a screen or display in order for screen readers to
work! I can totally unhook my dis play and Jaws will continue to work!

Matt.from.florida@gmail.com

[...]

Carolyn Arnold

I new a blind person who had a computer, but no monitor. So, whenever her
brother or her computer guy came to work on it, they brought a monitor.

Bye for now,

Carolyn

[...]

and my laptop is not working, no screen reader or else how would I know it wasn't working? :)
I have my cousin to see if he can see something on Monday, otherwise, it may be ka-poot. :)

At 11:16 AM 2/20/2016, you wrote:
[...]

Rajmund <brajmund2000@...>

Hello,
And the screen could have also died, screen reader would, in fact, that would be the only way, for the PC or laptop, to still be even functional. After all, we don't need screen.

[...]

Sent from a Braille Sense

Pamela Dominguez

No, you don't. But if no sound comes up, and the screen doesn't show anything without you having shut it off, then it seems to say that it doesn't work. At that point, nothing showing on the screen means there is nothing for the screenreader to read. Pam.

[...]

I never said you did. I just said at that point, since nothing was configured that way, the fact that the screen didn't show anything meant that the computer didn't work enough for the screenreader to be able to read anything. Pam.

[...]

Oh sure. I know somebody who refuses to have a monitor. She doesn't want anything that looks like television in her house, just because she can't see it. And she thinks she will get cancer from the picture tube, or whatever passes for it, these days. Pam.

[...]

when graphic cards fail the laptop doesnt even boot up.
on some laptops the fan comes up but blank screen.
on others nothing only system lights comes up.
if you dont have a ssd can you hear the hard drive read?
if it starts reading that means the pc has passed the bios screen and
is trying to boot into the os.
and by read i meen long reads not just a small reed sound it should be
on all the time untill the desktop loads.
or you can try the following.
1. disconnect the laptop from the charger.
2. remove the battery.
3.press the power button on the laptop and keep it pressed for 5
seconds even 10 is good.
4. now only connect the charger and try booting it again.
if it boots up then shut it down remove the charger and only connect
the battery and boot it again.
if it boots up then connect the charger and run it for sometime.
also you can try connecting the laptop to an external display when you
have sighted help around and see if they get something on the display.
i have seen some laptops that shows signs of a graphics card failed
has booted up by the way spoken in the above steps. as this flushes
power out from your boards

On 2/22/16, Pamela Dominguez <geodom@optonline.net> wrote:
[...]

Well way back when it was old tube TV maybe so on the cancer part but the
new TV you don't have to worry about that so much.

Matt.from.florida@gmail.com

[...]

Ann Parsons <akp@...>

Hi all,

I'd like to take whatever family member or minister or idiot who's feeding your friend this rot and scourge then to within an inch of their life! Cancer from a TV? There's no basis in fact for this.

Ann P.

--
Ann K. Parsons
Portal Tutoring