From: "Carlos" <carlos1106@...
To: TechTalk@groups.io
Date sent: Tue, 23 Feb 2016 18:10:27 -0500
Subject: [TechTalk] Virtual Recorder (new portable version)

I uploaded a new portable version that should work. The only caveat is that
if you have UAC enabled, you will always receive a prompt because it
requires administrator privileges to register the virtual capture device.
Unfortunately, that is the best I can do for now since Enigma Virtual Box
seems to have problems if UAC is enabled or in Windows 10 in general. Both
the installer and portable version can be found below at the usual place
thanks to Rob Hudson.
http://opopanax.net/download/

Carlos

Yes.

From: "Carlos" <carlos1106@...
To: TechTalk@groups.io
Date sent: Tue, 23 Feb 2016 18:10:27 -0500

I uploaded a new portable version that should work. The only caveat is that
if you have UAC enabled, you will always receive a prompt because it
requires administrator privileges to register the virtual capture device.
Unfortunately, that is the best I can do for now since Enigma Virtual Box
seems to have problems if UAC is enabled or in Windows 10 in general. Both
the installer and portable version can be found below at the usual place
thanks to Rob Hudson.
http://opopanax.net/download/

lance allison

Why wood a portable copy of Audio Recorder be needed? If for some reason you were going to reacord on a computer that was not yours, why not just temporarily install from the same thumb drive an uninstall when your dun. Just as easy, dam near the same the same thing.

Lance

Sent from TypeApp

Yes.
Will it be unregistered when you close the program?
----
Sent from a BrailleNote Apex BT32, Running KeySoft 9.5, Build 1280

Armando: Admin/owner of the Technology For The Blind Mailing List, and the
Blind-Chat Mailing List.
Want to talk about the BrailleNote Apex and everything technology?
Subscribe to this list that I had created to discuss the BrailleNote Apex
and everything technology!
To subscribe to the list, send a blank email to
techfortheblind+subscribe@groups.io

From: "Carlos" <carlos1106@...
To: TechTalk@groups.io
Date sent: Tue, 23 Feb 2016 18:10:27 -0500

I uploaded a new portable version that should work. The only caveat is
that
if you have UAC enabled, you will always receive a prompt because it
requires administrator privileges to register the virtual capture device.
Unfortunately, that is the best I can do for now since Enigma Virtual Box
seems to have problems if UAC is enabled or in Windows 10 in general.
Both
the installer and portable version can be found below at the usual place
thanks to Rob Hudson.
http://opopanax.net/download/

Carlos

There are many things that are not necessarily needed, but which are still more convenient.  You could make that argument for many other portable applications as well.  The point of a portable application is to avoid the installation process and leave no traces on the system.  This is not true of Virtual Recorder, but in many cases installing and then uninstalling an application is not guaranteed to remove all traces.

From: "Carlos" <carlos1106@...
To: TechTalk@groups.io
Date sent: Tue, 23 Feb 2016 18:10:27 -0500

I uploaded a new portable version that should work. The only caveat is
that
if you have UAC enabled, you will always receive a prompt because it
requires administrator privileges to register the virtual capture device.
Unfortunately, that is the best I can do for now since Enigma Virtual Box
seems to have problems if UAC is enabled or in Windows 10 in general.
Both
the installer and portable version can be found below at the usual place
thanks to Rob Hudson.
http://opopanax.net/download/

Carlos

On another note, I managed to get the portable version built with Enigma Virtual Box working by adding a manifest to the executable.  Now like the current version, it requests elevation via UAC so it can register the virtual capture device.  Unfortunately, I still can't use it because it won't run on 10.  That's too bad because I prefer the virtualization method.  It means that the files are never written to disk and even registration of the virtual capture device occurs in an isolated virtual registry which all seems much cleaner.

From: "Carlos" <carlos1106@...
To: TechTalk@groups.io
Date sent: Tue, 23 Feb 2016 18:10:27 -0500

I uploaded a new portable version that should work. The only caveat is
that
if you have UAC enabled, you will always receive a prompt because it
requires administrator privileges to register the virtual capture device.
Unfortunately, that is the best I can do for now since Enigma Virtual Box
seems to have problems if UAC is enabled or in Windows 10 in general.
Both
the installer and portable version can be found below at the usual place
thanks to Rob Hudson.
http://opopanax.net/download/

Smiling?

I grabbed your latest portable build to discover that it worked just as
you've described. Thanks for building and putting it up.

I uploaded a new portable version that should work. The only caveat is that

if you have UAC enabled, you will always receive a prompt because it
requires administrator privileges to register the virtual capture device.
Unfortunately, that is the best I can do for now since Enigma Virtual Box
seems to have problems if UAC is enabled or in Windows 10 in general. Both
the installer and portable version can be found below at the usual place
thanks to Rob Hudson.

http://opopanax.net/download/

Carlos

You're quite welcome. Hopefully some people will find this thing useful.

I grabbed your latest portable build to discover that it worked just as
you've described. Thanks for building and putting it up.

I uploaded a new portable version that should work. The only caveat is that

if you have UAC enabled, you will always receive a prompt because it
requires administrator privileges to register the virtual capture device.
Unfortunately, that is the best I can do for now since Enigma Virtual Box
seems to have problems if UAC is enabled or in Windows 10 in general. Both
the installer and portable version can be found below at the usual place
thanks to Rob Hudson.

http://opopanax.net/download/

Smiling?

They'll definitely find it useful, come come now. smiles.