is there a standalone kindle reader that blind folks can use?

Jim Rawls

Hi all,

I don’t have a kindle reader now, but I am thinking about getting one. Is there a standalone kindle reader that I can get that I wouldn’t have to use my computer with it? If not that, how does one use the kindle with a P?C? Jim

Mary Otten <maryotten@...>

Hi Jim,
Yes, you can certainly use the Kindle on a PC with either Jaws or NVDA. The support has gotten much better in the last couple of months. And yes, you can also use some of the Kindle e-reader‘s. Those are the devices that are made just for reading books. Otherwise, the cheapest alternative is to purchase a Kindle fire tablet. That lets you re-kindle books and also do other things. And right now, those tablets are on a good deal of Amazon. The cheapest one is the fire seven and I think it’s $30 right now. The HD eight is $50, and the HD 10 is $100 for the les expensive device. Aside from size, the major difference that would concern us would be the fact that both theeight and the 10 have two speakers, and they sound better than the seven. Also the 10 has a newer processor and more storage space, although all of them come with a card slot. I don’t have personal experience using the E readers, but I know that some of them can be used.
Mary

Sent from my iPhone

On Nov 27, 2017, at 10:00 AM, Jim Rawls <jazzpiano@...> wrote:

Hi all,

I don’t have a kindle reader now, but I am thinking about getting one. Is there a standalone kindle reader that I can get that I wouldn’t have to use my computer with it? If not that, how does one use the kindle with a P?C? Jim

Jim Rawls

Hi Mary,

I am a Kurzweil user, and remember your name from the former group. This kindle thing is for a dr. friend of mine who has recently become blind. I am teaching him how to use jaws with his computer, but I think he would be really interested in the fire tablet. What more do you know about it? You can write me off list at jazzpiano@.... Com. Jim

[...]

Blaster

If your looking for a fire tablet that's pre-configured for blind
users and comes with support, look here:

http://www.talkingmp3players.com/

HTH,
Blaster

can write me off list at jazzpiano@ca.rr. Com. Jim

On Nov 27, 2017, at 10:00 AM, Jim Rawls <jazzpiano@ca.rr.com> wrote:

Hi all,

I don’t have a kindle reader now, but I am thinking about getting one. Is
there a standalone kindle reader that I can get that I wouldn’t have to use
my computer with it? If not that, how does one use the kindle with a P?C?
Jim

Carolyn Arnold

Are you meaning a Kindle reader that would be something like
a Victor Stream? That would be good if there was one.

Best from,

Carolyn

I don't have a kindle reader now, but I am thinking about
getting one. Is there a standalone kindle reader that I can
get that I wouldn't have to use my computer with it? If not
that, how does one use the kindle with a P?C? Jim

Carolyn Arnold

The Kindle tablets are really good, especially the 8 with stereo speakers. They are reasonably priced too. We bought ours from Accessible Electronics less than a year ago and definitely have gotten our money's worth.

Best from,

Carolyn